Jason Todd Voorhees

Are Easter Eggs Canon?

Are easter eggs in movies canon?   3 members have voted

1. 1. Are easter eggs in movies canon to the actual series?

• Yes!
    • No!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

an Easter Egg is an unexpected or undocumented feature in a piece of computer software or on a pop culture references, included as a joke or a bonus.

This is what an easter egg is so should us fans consider easter eggs as a canon material? (Similar to the Jason goes to the Hell movie.)

I think this thread is based off the article Melissa from Horror Geek recently wrote about Jason Goes to Hell and The Necronomicon.

An Easter egg definitely does not make anything canon. Easter eggs are just references or hidden reference to something. As for the necronomicon and JGTH, this Easter egg can still happen with it being canonical. It's a far freaking reach, and I personally don't agree. There has been other reference to Jason and the Necronomicon in comics, namely Pamela reading to it resurrect her boy. However to me, it doesn't make sense she would resurrect him, never see him, and go on her killing spree. Does she have to sacrifice her own life so he can live? Then how has he grown up? Was he just a madman in woods that survived drowning? 

The Necronomicon here is this directors way of resurrecting Jason for the third time. I say third because I say Jason drowned and was resurrected from something evil before part 2. Then in Part 6, after child Tommy had killed him, and again in Part 9, because Part 8 was supposed to be the last one, again. 

In Nightmare on Elm Street Part 5, there was a scene where the guy reading a comic book gets sucked into the Nightmare world. The issue number of the comic he was reading was #13. An Easter egg reference to Friday the 13th. 

That is an example of something referencing something else. Fallout 4 referencing HP Lovecraft. Another example. The one you are referring to was used to create a new theory of why Jason is who he is, and to try to make it canonical to the series. Unfortunately it is a cheesy theory and a cheesy movie. Someone, I think Heartbreaker, said he considers this movie a stand alone, and I have to agree. Doesn't fit the series. I prefer 1-4, but will accept 6-8. Even 5 is stand alone to me, other than the Tommy Jarvis timeline. 

1 person likes this

I agree I never seen the Necronomicon being a source for Jason at all....I actually like the concept of Jason being resurrected as being a evil spirit or vengeful spirit taken life again or that his father was the one who passed down some supernatural powers or genetics down to Jason because in all honesty....Jason being linked to being a "Deadite" is a horrible concept and I am happy this isn't even canon...

I accept 1,2,3,4,6,7, and 8 as canon tbh but 5 is its own separate concept and 9 I can't take seriously idk about Part 10.

The afromentioned Necronomicon is a good example to discuss canonic value of Easter Eggs. In my point of view the appearance of the book in Jason goes to hell simply states that Jason and Crystal Lake exist in a world were the Necronomicon exists. Its existence doesn't by default connect Jason to Deadites and such. It just tells us Jason might be in the same world as Ash Williams or the world HP Lovecraft created.

I would state that Easter Eggs, especially those included after the final cut, are of some canon-value, albeit not essential to story or major plot parts. Jason, at least in the later parts of the series, seems to be part of the same world as Freddy Krueger and also part of a world where the Necronomicon exists. So both are part of a somewhat Lovecraftian world.

No things that people put in to be funny or just basically sign their name to a particular thing does not canon make

Jason is a revenant, a spirit or corpse so angry, it comes back from the grave for revenge.