Mr. Blonde

Best Way to Buff Traps (DONT BRING STACKING BACK)

Ok so we all know traps are under powered now as Jason and it's way easier for counselors to deal since they can just tank -> med spray or use a pocket knife. And no we don't want triple trap stacking back as that was way too boring and one dimensional so here are some buffs that Jason should get for traps. . .

1 - Traps that did not go off can now be repicked up by Jason so he can place them in new spots

2 - Traps can now be placed inside cabins or boat dock (this effectively kills some dumb long table ring around the rosie)

3 - Traps placed in map are now colored YELLOW and turn RED when they go off to make things way more clear

4 - New extra trap in the other room of the Jason's shack that you can pick up to add 1 extra trap to your inventory (would take extra time to go get it but worth it if you feel you may need it)

5 - Small minigame happens if you want to disarm one of Jason's trap with a pocket knife now. (easy with like 4-5 parts, but not too easy with just 2-3)

• Like 5

I like the 2nd option. It really gives more strategy to +Traps Jasons.

• Like 1

Options 2 and 3 are good, but 2 is the best by far. Fantastic suggestion! I doubt it gets implemented though. 

Although I would encourage you to rethink your stance on triple trapping as the reasoning behind it can actually be far more multi-dimensional when done by certain Jason's. Not saying everyone should do it, but when I do it's because I don't want any traps on the car and Part 9 who I play as, only starts with 3, so I might as well just add the third with the first two. Although yeah, the trap-system in general could certainly be better. I 

• Like 1

I think a skill check for disarming traps with the pocket knife is nessecary now but...not one that goes off a characters repair stat

• Like 2

That's a good idea too, and yeah not off their repair stat just a necessary one that is equivilant to a 6 or 7/10 repair. (One that is pretty easy but not too easy, and becomes harder if Jason is on you causing pressure).

4 hours ago, CPLhicks31 said:

Options 2 and 3 are good, but 2 is the best by far. Fantastic suggestion! I doubt it gets implemented though. 

Although I would encourage you to rethink your stance on triple trapping as the reasoning behind it can actually be far more multi-dimensional when done by certain Jason's. Not saying everyone should do it, but when I do it's because I don't want any traps on the car and Part 9 who I play as, only starts with 3, so I might as well just add the third with the first two. Although yeah, the trap-system in general could certainly be better. I 

The thing about trap stacking is it was just boring to do as Jason. You basically just press the trap button 3 times and that's it. . . Not saying it was OP or anything, just very dull and one dimensional as far as the whole "trapping" interaction went.

GunMedia needs to make F13 have a bit more depth in how you use or counter things IMO. Traps need to be used more broadly and dynamic (like placing in new areas such as cabins, repicking them up, finding some, etc.)

1 hour ago, Vassago said:

I think a skill check for disarming traps with the pocket knife is nessecary now but...not one that goes off a characters repair stat

This is really good idea do you think it should go towards COMPOSURE stat though? Going to add it to my first post cause its good idea

• Like 1

Erm maybe composure i havn't thought that far ahead. My main thought was really between pocket knives and the recent trap patch. They are more or less redudant. Jason deserves a chance at the warning they were meant to be. Erm they aren't being repaired. So i would say it's luck. I don't really like chad but i suppose they would favour him. Yes luck thats what a skill check often is anyway.

It would mix things up, be fun to see how deborah's and aj's deal with a skill check they wasn't born for. Oh and i main Aj lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SnakeSound222 said:

We need a trap placement indicator. I like all of these ideas.

I think traps on map should be colored differently also. I added it into the first post

Placed traps on map = YELLOW

Traps that went off on map = RED

Imo the 4th option could apply to escaping traps too (replacing the 'spam to escape'), traps feel pretty underwhelming right now, serving merely as a way to get a notification if someone is working on something. If someone has a medic perk, they can tank your traps in mere seconds. Being able to get out of the 'recover' animation via health spray also needs a fix. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Mr. Blonde said:

Ok so we all know traps are under powered now as Jason and it's way easier for counselors to deal since they can just tank -> med spray or use a pocket knife. And no we don't want triple trap stacking back as that was way too boring and one dimensional so here are some buffs that Jason should get for traps. . .

1 - Traps that did not go off can now be repicked up by Jason so he can place them in new spots

2 - Traps can now be placed inside cabins or boat dock (this effectively kills some dumb long table ring around the rosie)

3 - Traps placed in map are now colored YELLOW and turn RED when they go off to make things way more clear

4 - New extra trap in the other room of the Jason's shack that you can pick up to add 1 extra trap to your inventory (would take extra time to go get it but worth it if you feel you may need it)

5 - Small minigame happens if you want to disarm one of Jason's trap with a pocket knife now. (easy with like 4-5 parts, but not too easy with just 2-3)

I concur in part and dissent in part.

1.  Agreed.  If priorities change and he wants to move one sure. 

2.  Agreed. 

3.  I REALLY like this. 

4.  I don't favor another freebie.   Jasons have -traps as a disadvantage for a reason as they have + things and - things.

Alternate for #4:  If Jason comes across a placed (or unplaced) counselor trap that he hasn't stepped in, he can take that trap like he can pick up knives. 

5.  No, no, no, no.  Turning traps into more stupid time consuming mini-games and/or an uber-stop vs counselors (you'll never get this goal) is what the devs are trying to AVOID by not allowing 3-5 traps all stacked together (effectively putting that out of play).   Besides, realistically using a piece on lumber should be the way you get rid of a trap, not a pocket knife but they did pocket knife as balance trade off.   This and repair already has vastly more importance than other stats. 

So did they bring back trap stacking? I was playing yesterday and Jason had 2 traps on the fuse box, basically right on top of each other.

Good list, but I'll offer an updated list combining the best of your suggestions with a few of mine:

1. Increased effective trap range, making it harder for counselors to get past them.

2. Increased trap duration, holding counselors longer.

3. Jason can pick up unused traps and use them again.

4. Jason can pick up and use counselors' traps.

5. Trap indicators that show what trap just went off so you don't have to guess.

6. Traps can now be placed on cabin floors/docks.

7. Minigame required to disarm a trap.

8. When a trap has been used you can place a new trap right over it. Right now you can't.

I'd like to be able to place a trap in the exact location as the trap that was triggered by a counselor. Currently you cant place a trap over a used one. Which means if you killed the guy who stepped in the phone trap, and now you want to place a new trap at that objective, you have to place it around the first one. This usually results in the second trap being much easier to avoid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2017 at 9:24 PM, Mr. Blonde said:

Fully agree with 1.

Partially disagree with 2. Not inside cabins but inside the door fram/door jam to ensure a catch.

Fully agree with 3.

Disagree 4. If any additional traps should be had, put them in a randomly generated spot that only Jason can reach, like on top of an outhouse or something, just like with throwing knives.

Disagree with 5. Traps don't need to have an option to disarm without losing something valuable.

3 hours ago, Hell Toupee said:

So did they bring back trap stacking? I was playing yesterday and Jason had 2 traps on the fuse box, basically right on top of each other.

No, the traps can't stack like they used to. Basically, traps can't touch at the outer radius of the model. 

• Like 1

Being able to pick up un-sprung traps is cool. 

Being able to trap indoors is not cool.

Adding an animation where he kicks a sprung trap out of the way to place a fresh trap is essential. 

Picking up counselor's trap is no bueno.

As long as a counselor is touching the leaves of a trap, it needs to snag them.

And why yellow? Traps should be green and then turn red when they're sprung. C'mon...Freddy's sweater! (Trivia: Freddy's sweater was originally supposed to be red & yellow; 2 colors that when put side by side are very irritating to the eye, as is red and green)

That's all I got.

Why can't Jason just re-use traps? Even the ones that are triggered by counselors? It would add a new dimension when picking which Jason you would use and your play style. 

Also, if this were the case I would be ok with counselors being able to destroy traps after a convoluted mini-game, however, failing the mini-game would result in the counselor being...trapped.

I talked with one of the illfonic guys in discord and he said they won't allow Jason to use traps indoors because it would unbalance the game.

8 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

I talked with one of the illfonic guys in discord and he said they won't allow Jason to use traps indoors because it would unbalance the game.

Did he by chance mention how it would be unbalanced? I'm genuinely interested in game design choices and direction developers make.

Just now, Hogtown.Horror said:

Did he by chance mention how it would be unbalanced? I'm genuinely interested in game design choices and direction developers make.

I can't remember. He just said it would make it unbalanced. Imagine Jason trapping the inside of cabins that had parts.