Mr. Blonde

Best Way to Buff Traps (DONT BRING STACKING BACK)

Just now, Hogtown.Horror said:

Did he by chance mention how it would be unbalanced? I'm genuinely interested in game design choices and direction developers make.

I can't remember. He just said it would make it unbalanced. Imagine Jason trapping the inside of cabins that had parts.

1 minute ago, Redcat345 said:

I can't remember. He just said it would make it unbalanced. Imagine Jason trapping the inside of cabins that had parts.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. As it stands now there are only so many places where it's worthwhile setting up a trap. I'm wondering if they're trying to do that intentionally. I'd get it if we had twice as many traps but with the limited number we do have - after the car/s and phone - I'm usually left with one, maybe two, depending on who I'm using.

I actually wouldn't mind being able to place them indoors. From Jason's perspective it adds a little more strategy. From the counselors perspective it increases the chance that the car/s and phone won't be trapped.

5 minutes ago, Hogtown.Horror said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. As it stands now there are only so many places where it's worthwhile setting up a trap. I'm wondering if they're trying to do that intentionally. I'd get it if we had twice as many traps but with the limited number we do have - after the car/s and phone - I'm usually left with one, maybe two, depending on who I'm using.

I actually wouldn't mind being able to place them indoors. From Jason's perspective it adds a little more strategy. From the counselors perspective it increases the chance that the car/s and phone won't be trapped.

Imagine part 2 Jason placing all 7 of his traps on the phone indoors, see how that would mess things up?

23 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

Imagine part 2 Jason placing all 7 of his traps on the phone indoors, see how that would mess things up?

I can definitely see that as a problem...but that would just mean the car/s wouldn't be trapped. And really, that's just one Jason (I assume, I'm still relatively new - level 19 and haven't unlocked most Jasons).

My whole thing here is giving players the tools to adapt and evolve their experience. I totally get it...it's so much easier said than done. Balance is as much about what could happen as opposed to what's supposed to happen.

But other than the phone, is there any way this could be exploited?

It's a lot easier than all that. Just make trap damage unhealable. If I'm out in the woods, and step on a bear trap, no amount of first aid spray is going to fix a broken ankle. Make it so any trap victim is permanently in a limping state. 

8 minutes ago, Tim Voorhees13 said:

It's a lot easier than all that. Just make trap damage unhealable. If I'm out in the woods, and step on a bear trap, no amount of first aid spray is going to fix a broken ankle. Make it so any trap victim is permanently in a limping state. 

I think the issue with that is it would just encourage people to rage-quit even more so. All you're doing is delaying the inevitable. Hell if I stepped in a trap and was sent to a permanent limp state, I'd probably just quit and join a new game. The fun is in the chase.

If you can't get away then it's not really a chase. Honestly, would you play that?

or instead of dealing with symptoms we could  suggest something that deals with the problem. reducing the sprays and finally getting rid of sharing the medic perk with everyone (seems like it still is a thing). why bother with the consequences when you can fix the source? 

28 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

or instead of dealing with symptoms we could  suggest something that deals with the problem. reducing the sprays and finally getting rid of sharing the medic perk with everyone (seems like it still is a thing). why bother with the consequences when you can fix the source? 

Were the amount of medic sprays always high or was increased throughout the months? There could be a legitimate reason why there are so many. Reducing the amount of sprays could just re-introduce other problems that aren't obvious to us in the first place. I have a feeling the high amount of sprays on maps is to discourage people from hoarding them. Fewer medic spray availability means people die faster, they get frustrated, leave and/or stop playing, and that could lead to the population dropping.

Games are supposed to be fun. Try and create a game where players last less than 5 minutes before they die. It really isn't that fun.

Again, the issue is creating a balance with all the elements in play. 

1 hour ago, Redcat345 said:

Not really.  I see that scenario as a bad Jason or dumb counselor move.  If Jason sets all his traps at and around the phone, that means the other two objectives are all clear (not to mention the timer, so three ways to still live through the night).  If any number of players comes across a "minefield" of traps, logically they would leave that area/objective alone and focus on the other escape objectives.  To me, this game is not about "winning", which it seems most players DO think.  It is about the slim chance of survival.  I am more in the minority that WANTS more of a challenge from both the game itself and the players.  Placing traps indoors as Jason would definitely be a step in the direction I personally would like, but doubt it would ever be implemented.  As far as "unbalancing" the game, I just don't see it with the limited and non-reusable traps.  It's more akin to less of a challenge for the vast Quick Play crowd who need to "win" or else "the game sucks!  It's too hard to survive!"....  THAT'S THE WHOLE GODDAMN POINT OF THE GAME!  Survival under pressure where failure costs you your life!

• Like 1

I'm all for the re-use of traps unless they get disarmed via pocket knives. This would be "one-for-one". Also, different color markers would work very well. 

1 hour ago, Hogtown.Horror said:

Were the amount of medic sprays always high or was increased throughout the months? There could be a legitimate reason why there are so many. Reducing the amount of sprays could just re-introduce other problems that aren't obvious to us in the first place. I have a feeling the high amount of sprays on maps is to discourage people from hoarding them. Fewer medic spray availability means people die faster, they get frustrated, leave and/or stop playing, and that could lead to the population dropping.

Games are supposed to be fun. Try and create a game where players last less than 5 minutes before they die. It really isn't that fun.

Again, the issue is creating a balance with all the elements in play. 

i often escape/survive with one in the inventory. after using at least one or even two in game. i can´t recall a game where i only found 2 or let alone only one.amount has gone up. if i kill people they usually also have a spray on them. 

look at police escapes, i have seen 4 sprays lying there when i was the last to escape yesterday. also having one on me after using one. and i found some while i was full with 2 sprays and a knife...