Sign in to follow this  
Fair Play

Fondest Memories of Gaming

Speaking with many of you about gaming in the past, I thought I'd start a thread to keep the conversation going. What games from your past do you have fond memories of?

Final fantasy for nes will always be my favorite.  Followed by the dragon warrior series.  Then lufia II on snes and the phantasy star series on Sega.  I am a rpg guy.  I like that type of game. Of course, all the Mario Bros games are great.  I loved most of the wrestling games on N64.  My gaming days pretty much stopped with GameCube.  I never had a ps2 til later on.  

Oh...oh....  I almost forgot Russian attack and bionic commando.  Two excellent nes games.  And excite bike.  Yeah, I could go on and on probably.  

While I've been here for every generation I will always hold the 16-bit era in the highest regard. So many great games and graphics had progressed to a very nice point by that time. Though I shudder to think what the bit wars would have been like if the Internet had existed at that time. It was dangerous enough on the playground. 

It was also a time when a game could be released on different systems yet be an ENTIRELY different game. Multi platform release really didn't mean "carbon copy but on a different system" like it has these last few generations. You could have had Friday the 13th on the SNES as an RPG and they would release it as an action platformer for the Genesis. 

Coming home from grade school and playing Knights of the Old Republic. First thing that comes to mind. Also, playing Tony Hawk's Proskater 3 in the 6th grade and hearing 96 Quite Bitter Beings by CKY for the first time, which immediately fueled my obsession for said band, and also got me more interested in the drummer's brother, Bam Margera, who I'm sure you're all familiar with by now.

Trex - Tomb Raider

Window Dogs - Resident Evil

Fighting Lu Bu - Dynasty Warriors 4

Scarlet - Silent Hill Homecoming

my first Fatality - Mortal Kombat 2

Xenomorph in the Med bay - Alien Isolation

all of Guitar Hero 2

Temple of Xian - Tomb Raider 2

Louvre Galleries - Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

Tomb of Ancients - Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

Train Climb - Uncharted 2

burning to death - The Sims [ps2 version]

Gosh, too many...I'd be going on forever.

I can still remember buying my first video game. Roboto, by Bug Byte Software, in the local shop called Computer Mania, for £1.99. Still got it.

And that was in 1986 :)

California games on the Sega master system, hours of fun, could never get the hang of footbag, but did manage to hit the bird that flies over head for extra points.  Can't beat the old school consoles.

I always loved the StarTropics games for the NES to this day still my favorite game for that system, I never really understood why they choose to kill it off after the sequel. 

On 11/1/2017 at 0:52 AM, Maddogg_8121 said:

Final fantasy for nes will always be my favorite.  Followed by the dragon warrior series.  Then lufia II on snes and the phantasy star series on Sega.  I am a rpg guy.  I like that type of game. Of course, all the Mario Bros games are great.  I loved most of the wrestling games on N64.  My gaming days pretty much stopped with GameCube.  I never had a ps2 til later on.  

Oh...oh....  I almost forgot Russian attack and bionic commando.  Two excellent nes games.  And excite bike.  Yeah, I could go on and on probably.  

AAhh yes Rush'N'Attack still one of the best musical themes ever.

• Like 1

Paper mario thousand year door and Super mario sunshine were like taking high quality drugs, a big plus on the unique factor, no games have come out that are even close to the visual novelty this game achieved. Super mario sunshine is arguably the most timeless game ever made from my perspective.

Tales of Symphonia, made me feel like I was living in an anime instead of just watching it. Best soundtrack award from me as well.

Dawn of war dark crusade best RTS game ever made in my opinion, revolutionized the RTS game. Modern rts games still do not compare to this masterpiece. The most well balanced game I have ever seen in my life. In my top 3 games of all time.

God of war 2 a mixture of many great things from creature design, sound, to combat mechanics. Best cinematic feeling in that game than any other game I've played.

Destroy all humans, the first one. Great game with a risky but novel game concept. The first indie game I played that really won my heart.

Special mentions/runner ups: Future tactics -destructable terrain on a ps2, nuff said. Bards tale- boring at some parts but they nailed the atmosphere very well in the game, a "your decisions effect in game story" game, one of few of its kind.

So many to mention!

A Christmas Eve tradition for me is playing Donkey Kong Country on the SNES.  My Mum gave us an early Xmas present one year which was this game so I have great memories of sitting with my little bro and sis under our tree playing DKC. Good times!

Pushing for all 96 levels on Super Mario World and trying to beat my lap times on Super Mario Kart, great memories there.

Playing Resident Evil on PS1 (my favourite game) and getting killed by the zombie dog the comes crashing through the window in the mansion's first corridor. My big sis and Mum were in the room at the time and all three of us jumped out of our chairs. Knew then RE was gonna be one of the greatest games of all time.

Remember playing Halo and for the first time feeling like I was playing through an actual movie.

Cruising the streets of Liberty City in Gran Theft Auto IV on PS3 just listening to the amazing radio stations.

Getting together with my bro and best mate on day of release for Star Wars: Battlefront and Star Wars: Battlefront 2 ... two PS4s, two TVs, beer and pizza. Heaven!

And NHL Hitz on the Xbox, playing with my little bro.  One of the most playable games ever!  And the commentary was hilarious ... "Somebody open a window, these guys are stinking up the joint" ... either that or you could play with the music on your hard drive.  Bone rattling ice hockey soundtracked by Billy Idol's 'Rebel Yell' :D

Playing Kirbys Dreamland on a Nintendo Gameboy when i was 5.
Playing Donkey Kong Country with my best friend.
Playing Earth Worm Jim 2 on my dads Windows 95 Computer, with only an hour playtime per day. 
Playing Rayman for the first time. 
Playing Playstation 1 for the first time in Denmark. 
Playing Final Fantasy VII for the first time. 
Beating Resident Evil when i was 9 years old. 
Playing Crash Bandicoot and Tekken for days with my best friend. 
Playing Final Fantasy VIII for the first time. 
Play Final Fantasy IX for the first time. 

Tool much. I would spend days writing this list.

Playing Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade mode on the SNES with my dad...getting beaten by Shao Kahn over and over and us taking turns until one of us would finally beat him.

Playing Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on the SNES with my dad...always bailing me out on some of the tougher levels.

Playing Pitfall on the old Arati

Playing X-wing on my PC

Playing Klingon Academy on PC

Thunder/Jungle/Nuclear strike games for PS 1

PVP match on Halo, back in the day when you had to run a cable to a friends xbox in another room in order to play against.

Call of Duty 3 and COD Modern Warfare - lost many a day of my life playing matches

.................and just think about all the ones yet to come. Hell ya.....................

I have mentioned many games on the forums, but one that I have failed to bring up was Starcraft. I must have sunk 1000 hours into that game. I may have actually played it more than I played WoW. Diablo 1 and 2 were also some games that I spent some time with. I got into 3 a little, but lost interest.

I used to be a Blizzard whore! lol

5 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

I have mentioned many games on the forums, but one that I have failed to bring up was Starcraft. I must have sunk 1000 hours into that game. I may have actually played it more than I played WoW. Diablo 1 and 2 were also some games that I spent some time with. I got into 3 a little, but lost interest.

I used to be a Blizzard whore! lol

They were my only pc games before I got into steam and started collecting games there. So many hours spent on wow and Diablo series

4 hours ago, Davidt said:

They were my only pc games before I got into steam and started collecting games there. So many hours spent on wow and Diablo series

I actually played a lot of PC games, but Starcraft was the first one that sucked me in for months. I had played a lot of DIablo before that, but my dial-up connection was so shitty, that I kept getting dropped from online games. Wait, that sounds familiar?! :lol:

• Like 1