Fair Play

Fondest Memories of Gaming

There have been some great milestones which kinda blew my tiny mind, here's a list of some...

Super Star Wars on SNES (Was like having an arcade machine in your home!)

The Playstation One, playing 3D arcade games at home! :D

Shenmue on Dreamcast, such a detailed graphically vibrant world.

Beating Resident Evil 2 with Hunk. All he had was a knife and his wits. ;)

The Metal Gear Solid demos (1+2)  both were mindblowing.

Locking Gandalf in Bilbo's house in the Hobbit on ZX Spectrum, screw you Gandalf! :D

I could go on forever really, so many fond memories... :)

too many...

River Raid
Tetris
Super Mario Land
Contra
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros
Mortal Kombat 1 & 2
The Secret of Monkey Island
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess
Majora's Mask
Duke Nukem 3D
Red Alert 1 & 2
Quake III

13 hours ago, Elias Voorhees said:

There have been some great milestones which kinda blew my tiny mind, here's a list of some...

Locking Gandalf in Bilbo's house in the Hobbit on ZX Spectrum, screw you Gandalf! :D

Much respect for that ... I always saw that as an impossible task back in the day!

13 hours ago, Elias Voorhees said:

You just reminded me of the hell I went through playing "The Return of the King" on PS2. 

You're Aragorn, leading Legolas and Gimli out of the cavern of ghosts while it falls apart.

Your job is to avoid/defeat the ghosts who get in your way, which makes the cavern cave-in on you if you don't get out in time.

I swear, I heard Viggo Mortensen yell, "Hurry! Everything collapses!!" about 300 times before I finally beat that freak-level!!

But how sweet it was when I finally got it!

4 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Much respect for that ... I always saw that as an impossible task back in the day!

Yeah, I was obssessed with Resident Evil 2 back in the day. Beat it with Tofu too. It was all a matter of finding a safe path through and just mostly running non stop to the end. Probably wouldn't have that patience now though. ;)

3 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

You just reminded me of the hell I went through playing "The Return of the King" on PS2. 

You're Aragorn, leading Legolas and Gimli out of the cavern of ghosts while it falls apart.

Your job is to avoid/defeat the ghosts who get in your way, which makes the cavern cave-in on you if you don't get out in time.

I swear, I heard Viggo Mortensen yell, "Hurry! Everything collapses!!" about 300 times before I finally beat that freak-level!!

But how sweet it was when I finally got it!

Ha hah, I remember that. Those were great games. :)

On 12/7/2017 at 3:02 AM, havek said:

Tales of Symphonia, made me feel like I was living in an anime instead of just watching it. Best soundtrack award from me as well.

I enjoyed this game, and go through it from time to time. I also have the soundtrack, and pop it in when I'm doing some traveling.

On 12/7/2017 at 5:37 AM, PurpleFloyd said:

A Christmas Eve tradition for me is playing Donkey Kong Country on the SNES.  My Mum gave us an early Xmas present one year which was this game so I have great memories of sitting with my little bro and sis under our tree playing DKC. Good times!

Pushing for all 96 levels on Super Mario World and trying to beat my lap times on Super Mario Kart, great memories there.

Playing Resident Evil on PS1 (my favourite game) and getting killed by the zombie dog the comes crashing through the window in the mansion's first corridor. My big sis and Mum were in the room at the time and all three of us jumped out of our chairs. Knew then RE was gonna be one of the greatest games of all time.

A have a few Christmas traditions in gaming as well. It's a great way to remind yourself of fond memories. One of our Christmas traditions is to pick a game that's broken into stages, and take turns going through the stages as a family. A great bonding exercise.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:10 AM, hu_soldier13 said:

Playing Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade mode on the SNES with my dad...getting beaten by Shao Kahn over and over and us taking turns until one of us would finally beat him.

Playing Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on the SNES with my dad...always bailing me out on some of the tougher levels.

I bonded with my daughters over a bunch of games. We've pulled each other out of the fire too many times to count.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, Roy's #1 Fan said:

There was a summer in my early 20's when I decided I was going to beat the games I never could as a kid. I conquered Jaws and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. The TMNT game took forever and ended up putting me off of games for a bit due to the hours of frustration, so I didn't continue my journey past those two games. I still have a ton of fun coercing a random friend to sit down and try and beat Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES with me.

Jaws, TMNT and ZAMN ere three of my favorite games of all time.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:23 PM, LadySansaLannister said:

Naming my Rhyhorn “Horny” because I was a child and didn’t know any better.

Nice. I have countless memories of the good old days in Pokemon.  From the first day I started as Bulbasaur in Kanto, to the times I schooled Sinnoh's Elite Four with Torterra, there's so much to remember.

I've mentioned the PC games I was addicted to in this thread, but I would be remiss if I didn't dredge up old memories of the console wars me and my friends had. Countless hours of Mario Kart, Street Fighter II, NCAA Football, Madden, and Halo (a little later on). Online multiplayer games are great, but there is a lot to be said for sitting on a couch and kicking your buddy's ass in a game while talking mucho caca. Many controllers met their demise during those great times!  :lol:

Man I have sooooo many as I've been gaming since the mid to late 80's that I can't just pick one so I'll post a handful.

- My Dad coming home with an NES Action Set (w/ NES Zapper, Super Mario Bros. & Duck Hunt) when I was 6

- Getting to the final stage of Super Mario Bros.3 when I was 9 yrs old  w/ the help of my sister and some friends (we'd take turns playing levels when someone would die)

- Getting a Sega Genesis w/ Sonic 2 & Jurassic Park

- Playing the hell out of Sonic & Knuckles, beating it multiple times

- Playing Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time on the PS1

- Playing Nascar 98 with my sister and doing a "full" race (aka a 15 lap race with a full 43 car field) with the Paintball Mode (which would cause the cars to shoot paint balls out of the front fender and cause any car hit by them to wreck) cheat activated

- Playing a ton of NFL 2k5 with my college dorm buddies (when me and my buddy Kevin would play against each other our game would suddenly take on an epic quality with everyone being glued to the screen as the game would almost always be decided in the final 2 mins and an average of 3 pts)

- Playing in MK 9 & MK 10 tournaments at my local (and now sadly closed) retro game store which I typically won pretty easily except for the instances where my lone "rival" Wes would show up in which case we'd essentially trade victories each tournament we were both competing in and pretty much every match between the two of us would almost take on the quality of a epic  EVO Finale. There was one time in particular where I somehow (part of it was skill, but a lot of it was luck) managed to come back from a 0-3 deficit in a best of 7 series twice  in order to win the tournament (the way our tournaments were set up the Finale had the Winner of the Winner's Bracket and the Winner of the Loser's Bracket face off against each other in a best of 7 series, if the person from the Winner's Bracket won 4 of the 7 matches they'd win the tournament, but if the Winner of the Loser's Bracket won 4 of the 7 matches then the "Brackets" would reset and both would have to play another best of 7 series to determine the tournament champ and  in this particular finale I had come in as the winner of the loser's bracket as Wes had knocked me from the Winner's Bracket earlier in the tournament. So for this particular tournament it essentially took us 14 straight matches to determine the tournament champ and because of us and another tournament this time for Smash Bros a week later going 14 straight in the finale the store ended up changing the length of the finale for all their future tournaments to a best of 5 series) 

Playing the Sega Master System game Rambo II with my Dad. My parents have both long since passed away, but I remember playing quite a few games with my Dad. He wasn't very good at them, but he'd sit and play with me since we lived out in the country and there were no kids my age to play with anywhere close by.

39 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Playing the Sega Master System game Rambo II with my Dad. My parents have both long since passed away, but I remember playing quite a few games with my Dad. He wasn't very good at them, but he'd sit and play with me since we lived out in the country and there were no kids my age to play with anywhere close by.

Good stuff, man

I remember seeing the ticket slip for that Rambo game back in the day at Toy's R Us. You remember when you had to take the slip up front to the enclosure where they kept all the games?

As a reversal of that, my mom would play stuff back in the Nintendo/Sega era. She was both better at and more into gaming than I was. I was more interested in action figures and playing pretend/larping as a child. 

With that, I'd probably say my fondest gaming was back in the N64 era. Shadows of the Empire, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, etc. 

• Like 1

being poor in Russia, and me being young (still in HS) I never had a console until I moved to America, but my friends brother liked to repair computers and such. He repaired a NES, and we "borrowed" some games from a yardsale nearby. We nabbed Super Mario Bros. 3, Excite Bike, Final Fantasy and the first two Legend of Zelda games, and I loved them.