ZooMalfunction

The stigma of being killed as Jason

I like this topic! I think a lot of Jason players see that as the ultimate failure as Jason. We all like to think we are pretty good at the games we play and sure who hasn't had a car repaired and an escape or a fuse box repaired right under our nose. It happens, but Jason is OP, failure to stop an escape means mistakes were made and don't play into Jason's strength. However killing Jason is a monumental feat and it requires a lot of conditions to pull off. A failure to stop that means you slipped in several places to prevent it from happening. Also I generally hear a lot of trash talk in lobbys when people escape to the tune of "you are a horrible Jason" ect, ect I can only imagine the trash talking about a group who has killed you. The closest I've ever come to being defeated is my mask being knocked off. If my mask is off and I see Tommy Jarvis they can repair anything for all I care, he's my main focus. Only deviation would be if I get a cue that someone has entered the shack, then the sweater becomes my priority so they don't get too far and a good Jarvis player is going to waste a ton of time if you ignore the sweater. It also buys you more time before Jarvis and the sweater holder can link up. If there is no Jarvis focus on the sweater wearer and eliminate the threat after that it doesn't matter if Jarvis shows up. 

So I can understand the sort of stigma as being killed as Jason. I have not been killed but if I am I really have to hand it to the group for pulling it off under my nose. Many of times I've heard a group in the Lobby say let's kill Jason. They try, they fail. If they pulled it off my only regret would be I was not Jarvis to get the achievement for killing Jason.   

43 minutes ago, RAGEVIRUS said:

Played since launch. Never tried to kill Jason, never been close to being killed. Mask has been knocked off around 3 times but never seen a sweater wearing councillor at the same time.

You should try it.

Escaping is far too easy, so I go for Jason kills most matches now. It's the only thing that recaptures some of the tension I had as a new player for me.

I've killed dozens now, and it never gets old.

@JPops - responding to the sweater alarm can be dangerous.

We've killed Jasons before by grabbing the sweater silently with the mask, then sending someone in to trigger the alarm and summon Jason while the rest of the full prepared kill-squad hid in a bush and rushed him when he appeared. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZooMalfunction said:

You should try it.

Escaping is far too easy, so I go for Jason kills most matches now. It's the only thing that recaptures some of the tension I had as a new player for me.

I've killed dozens now, and it never gets old.

Nah. Someone would probably just fuck it up. Not worth the effort.

2 minutes ago, RAGEVIRUS said:

Nah. Someone would probably just fuck it up. Not worth the effort.

I genuinely find that part of the fun.

Makes it more special when it happens.

4 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

@JPops - responding to the sweater alarm can be dangerous.

We've killed Jasons before by grabbing the sweater silently with the mask, then sending someone in to trigger the alarm and summon Jason while the rest of the full prepared kill-squad hid in a bush and rushed him when he appeared. :D

True, always use Sense before entering the shack I always want to know who's around as soon as I morph somewhere I hit sense and scan the area. Always be aware of your surroundings. Granted that could backfire but if it's  Large group there is bound to be someone that will light up. Everything you do without a mask is risky if Jarvis is in play.

Was almost killed as Jason once. The counselors surrounded me and knocked me down with my mask off, Tommy holding the machete, one  of them wearing the sweater, etc. Listening to their chatter they were well-organized and planning to kill me. While I was getting up I started frantically trying to activate Morph. When the sweater kicked in I was already on the Morph map and I just panicked and chose a random spot on the map and teleported away. When I popped up in my new location I was already memorized but far away from harm, lol. That was a close one! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZooMalfunction said:

We've killed Jasons before by grabbing the sweater silently with the mask, then sending someone in to trigger the alarm

Wait, holding Jason's mask actually prevents you from activating the "alarm" when you enter his shack? I always wondered if taking his mask after you knocked it off served any purpose!

14 hours ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Interesting thoughts. 

I've never died as Jason intentionally (I've helped my friends get the achievement on Xbox), but there are a few times I've been close. Out of my Jason games, I've probably been unmasked 5 times (one of them being today), but today is the only time I've ever felt a threat with Tommy spawned in and someone grabbing the sweater.

What people need to keep in mind is that it is an element of the game. I would commend a group of counselors that could actually kill me. It means that some of them played a really good game. The easiest way to avoid a death as Jason is to pick off the sweater user. They get two options at that point: waste the stun or face death. Before this patch, I would have said to kill Tommy, but since he is a "hero" now, it is less of an option right away. 

14 hours ago, ZooMalfunction said:

What's everyone's opinions on this? Especially those who've died as Jason?

I just killed a Jason today and he was so angry and raging in the lobby, he sounded like he was going to cry. I've killed dozens of Jasons, and a reaction like this isn't that uncommon.

It just seems that unlike failure conditions in other games, dying as Jason seems to really wound some people. Like they feel there's an element of shame. Almost nobody takes it well, and plenty have just run away and hidden in the water when in danger of it.

I've been playing since day 1, so am fortunate enough to have been on the same learning/ability curve or ahead of other players, and have never been close to being killed, unlike newbies getting ganked by 101s these days.

I think I'd be embarassed to die, and weirdly see it as some kind of permanent blemish on my record, but I'd take it in good humour, and still try to kill everyone even when at risk of death (just going about it more cautiously).

Well I play with the same group of people 5-6 of them but sometimes a full 8 I've been there since day 1 too but they finally killed me for the first time since then  yesterday but meh they're my friends and 101 like me and took them all working together it's when I eventually get killed by some randoms I'll feel truly bad not some battle hardened veterans like them who really worked at it

I've only gotten a legit kill on Jason a few times and most of the times they're okay with it or they don't speak at all. The closest anyone's ever been to killing me (without me letting them) is just my mask being knocked off. I probably wouldn't care to much if they did kill me. But like some people I could see getting upset. My friend gets upset when even one person escapes. I'm just imagining how he would react if he got killed, omg.

Wow. A lot of you all didn't know this stuff?!

17 hours ago, JPops said:

The closest I've ever come to being defeated is my mask being knocked off. If my mask is off and I see Tommy Jarvis they can repair anything for all I care, he's my main focus. Only deviation would be if I get a cue that someone has entered the shack, then the sweater becomes my priority so they don't get too far and a good Jarvis player is going to waste a ton of time if you ignore the sweater. It also buys you more time before Jarvis and the sweater holder can link up. If there is no Jarvis focus on the sweater wearer and eliminate the threat after that it doesn't matter if Jarvis shows up. 

As Buggzy, the 1st thing I do/did was grab the mask, an then I'd pass it to a female counselor, telling them they could get Jason's mother's sweater without alerting Jason.

I NEVER left the mask behind. I rather be killed by Jason retrieving the mask than leave it. Sometimes terrible players would then take the mask, so if I came back as Tommy the mask was as good as lost.

The problem is that so many people are bad at the game, and rather than try to learn the game and improve, they'd rather complain and change things that break the balance of the game.

15 hours ago, Dolemite said:

Wait, holding Jason's mask actually prevents you from activating the "alarm" when you enter his shack? I always wondered if taking his mask after you knocked it off served any purpose!

I learned about this a while back. You be surprised at how difficult it is to coordinate people in-game. I'd say 'Come on, man we can really kill Jason this time!,' only for some idiot to totally ignore me, get all the females killed and miss the opportunity.

People just don't listen, it doesn't mean that Jason is too OP, but you know this.

7 minutes ago, Caulus said:

Wow. A lot of you all didn't know this stuff?!

As Buggzy, the 1st thing I do/did was grab the mask, an then I'd pass it to a female counselor, telling them they could get Jason's mother's sweater without alerting Jason.

I NEVER left the mask behind. I rather be killed by Jason retrieving the mask than leave it. Sometimes terrible players would then take the mask, so if I came back as Tommy the mask was as good as lost.

The problem is that so many people are bad at the game, and rather than try to learn the game and improve, they'd rather complain and change things that break the balance of the game.

Killing Jason is just as easy as fixing the boat or car there's steps to doing it, you follow the steps and bar any bugs or retards trying to 'help' it goes just as smooth as any other thing in the game

Make sure Tommy is called- get the sweater (with or without mask)- knock of mask- either your two best escape or get themselves killed so a random doesn't back as Tommy- find a nice space to wait for Jason 

I had my first jason kill yesterday. Quite proud of it really. It was mostly orchestrated by just 2 of us in a public lobby. I died damaging him but respawned as tommy. My new bestie had gotten the sweater. I caught up with her as she was being pursued by oir favourite goalie. Got me an axe, was lucky that it took off his mask. She used the sweater, i hit him he fell, one button push later it was done. We were very lucky, i was lucky. Bare in mind we didnt get the mask before hand it just came to together that way. Imagine if the axe broke as i brought him to his knees. What do i do now? 

The jason guy quit midway through the kill animation so i guess he was salty. I got the ps4 trophy award "roll credits" but i didn't get a 1 up on the badge.

Also in my early days i did die as jason. I wasn't salty, in fact i was interested to see it but i didn't play for it to happen. At the same time i didn't know enough to best prevent it. I wasn't salty but i found myself feeling silly as in hindsight i couldn't of made it more easier if i had just told them to do it and stood waiting for them. It was a learning experience, i now know what i shouldn't do.

99% of the time, the counselors I play with are never organized enough to even stick together to watch each other's backs, let alone mount an effort to kill Jason. Most of them (on PC, anyway) don't even talk, or if they do, it's not English. Ugh.

I have had my mask knocked off, plenty have grabbed my mom's sweater and paid for it. I haven't been killed... yet. I say yet because I do play with some good people that may just pull it off one day. If they do, I will be mad at myself for not preventing it, but give them a big old congrats for amazing teamwork and pulling it off. Quite the feat to do legit. Can't rage on them for me not taking precautionary matters and them being very skilled players. Part of the game.

Although I will agree I have heard the rage or tears the OP described. One time I think we actually made a kid cry... poor Metro...

@Kodiak and I pulled off a really great Jason kill earlier today. Jason was after me and my LaChappa bacon at the fuse box, so I just kited the hell out of him while Kodiak and some others went and got the sweater. I warned Jason that if he kept chasing me that he would wind up dead :P

Within a few minutes we were mobbed up and going from cabin to cabin trying to find a machete or axe. I forget what we found but eventually we had all the parts in place and got the kill. Jason was a good sport about it and gave us credit for our teamwork. I think he knew he was in trouble once he lost his mask.

7 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

Can't even remember the last time I had my mask knocked off as Jason...

I can count on my hand the amount of times it's happened and it's been awhile. I have pretty good timing to grab people who swing on me. It usually ends badly for the heroes. 

I feel legitimately bad when I don't sweep as the big guy. I think actually getting killed as Jason would crush me. 

• Like 1

Yo I nearly got killed the other day, I wasn't mad at the host for leaving the game this time.

Oh and something I always find funny is counselors plotting to killing Jason in the pre-match lobby. Like y'all know Jason is in the lobby too and he can hear you? First thing I do when it happens is trapping my shack (I never usually do that .)

I've never been a great Jason, but was getting better.  Since the latest patch I've sucked pretty bad, but also hadn't played as Jason in a while.  This morning I got killed as Jason. It was pretty demoralizing to watch as I fell to my knees. They must have been in a party, as none of them were talking and I was surrounded by about 6 of them. I knew they were trying it so I tried hacking the crap out of Tommy but they got me. It hurt until I could play again as Jason and redeem myself. I'm not new but still just level 36. I could see it sucking even more if I was totally new. 

Only came close to dying as Jason.  A real good group of counselor's had everything in place.  My mask was off and I heard the shack que.  I was too busy killing the other counselor's at a fixed car to bother breaking from it.

Later in the match I saw sweater girl running at me.  I went to throw a knife at her, but before I could get it off, she started to use the sweater.  That thing has a long range on it.  Anyways, they did everything right, but the hit to me didn't register.  Don't know why.  I should've been dead.  Anyways, I ended up killing everyone.

I actually ran into a group of counselor's who were very good.  I witnessed them kill Jason 2 or 3 times in a row, legitimately too.  one that I played a part in as Tommy.  Oh god.  It was awful.  I'm not kidding, we had 5 or 6 counselor's in one room in a large cabin with Jason inside, running around in circles.  Jason almost killed me too.  We ended up pulling it off though.

The vast majority of the playerbase has not and never will be killed as Jason, so I'm not surprised the ones who do die get so salty.