ZooMalfunction

The stigma of being killed as Jason

What's everyone's opinions on this? Especially those who've died as Jason?

I just killed a Jason today and he was so angry and raging in the lobby, he sounded like he was going to cry. I've killed dozens of Jasons, and a reaction like this isn't that uncommon.

It just seems that unlike failure conditions in other games, dying as Jason seems to really wound some people. Like they feel there's an element of shame. Almost nobody takes it well, and plenty have just run away and hidden in the water when in danger of it.

I've been playing since day 1, so am fortunate enough to have been on the same learning/ability curve or ahead of other players, and have never been close to being killed, unlike newbies getting ganked by 101s these days.

I think I'd be embarassed to die, and weirdly see it as some kind of permanent blemish on my record, but I'd take it in good humour, and still try to kill everyone even when at risk of death (just going about it more cautiously).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, early in the process, I saw a group of counselors ALMOST ready to take me down, but I got their sweater and that was that. Since I've made a shack trap a given, nobody's gotten past panic using the sweater while my mask was still on for a two second stun. 

I can't really conceive how I'd respond to seeing a group complete a five step process when I haven't seen any get past step two, and I load in with solid 101s from my friends list frequently.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SDA said:

Yeah, early in the process, I saw a group of counselors ALMOST ready to take me down, but I got their sweater and that was that. Since I've made a shack trap a given, nobody's gotten past panic using the sweater while my mask was still on for a two second stun. 

I can't really conceive how I'd respond to seeing a group complete a five step process when I haven't seen any get past step two, and I load in with solid 101s from my friends list frequently.

You would not like me pre-patch. You would HATE me post-patch. lol

I have no stigma about it. I've never been killed as Jason in a real match, but did allow a lobby to kill me once just so I could see it. That was around release and no lobby has actually pulled it off against me yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Caulus said:

You would not like me pre-patch. You would HATE me post-patch. lol

Nah, you were cool. I'm 95% sure we've played already anyways, unless there's an abundance of Caulus's.

I've never killed Jason and never been killed as Jason. One group came close months ago but they made the mistake of grabbing the sweater before my mask was off.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SDA said:

Nah, you were cool. I'm 95% sure we've played already anyways, unless there's an abundance of Caulus's.

I play on PS4. Pretty sure I've never played against you.

Actually, there was one time I actually played against a streamer. I was Jason pre-patch. whiteboythst was the streamer. He and another guy were playing together. I was probably about level 45 or so. I still had things to try and to learn. Man they were pretty good, but I did manage to get whiteboythst. lol! His friend got away for a 7/8.

I still have the video. I watched it last week. I made some pretty silly mistakes! But the point is we all had a good time. We joked about how they had me going and everything. No one bitched and moaned about getting killed.

Man, this game used to be so fun. ;^(

I've never been killed as Jason. But if I eventually do I won't be salty about it. I'll commend them and give them loads of props.

It's not an easy thing to pull off.

• Like 1

I just did it for the first time in a public match shortly after viewing this thread. It was only Tommy and I left and the Jason just happened to be missing a mask and I just happened to get the sweater in that game early on (Wanted to see it over Tiffany’s Halloween Costume) and we killed him. The Jason player left the lobby right after so I guess he may have felt bad about it, but at least he got 6/8.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TiffanyIsOP said:

(Wanted to see it over Tiffany’s Halloween Costume)

Ha. Just did the same thing. Minus the killing Jason.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Caulus said:

I play on PS4. Pretty sure I've never played against you.

Actually, there was one time I actually played against a streamer. I was Jason pre-patch. whiteboythst was the streamer. He and another guy were playing together. I was probably about level 45 or so. I still had things to try and to learn. Man they were pretty good, but I did manage to get whiteboythst. lol! His friend got away for a 7/8.

I still have the video. I watched it last week. I made some pretty silly mistakes! But the point is we all had a good time. We joked about how they had me going and everything. No one bitched and moaned about getting killed.

Man, this game used to be so fun. ;^(

I'm on PS4 too, if I remember, the rest of your name started with O... something? Yeah, I didn't draw Jason when you were in the lobby, pretty sure I gave you the keys, though. You drove fine. 

@TiffanyIsOP I don't intend to come off as Kanye-like, but Jason has been super-nerfed. That win should probably come with an asterisk or something.

But this is the reason I don't want to play anymore. I would feel like I had too much outside help. I want to contend against and kill OP Jason, not some watered down wannabe!

5 minutes ago, Caulus said:

@TiffanyIsOP I don't intend to come off as Kanye-like, but Jason has been super-nerfed. That win should probably come with an asterisk or something.

But this is the reason I don't want to play anymore. I would feel like I had too much outside help. I want to contend against and kill OP Jason, not some watered down wannabe!

Really, the recent Jason nerfs don’t have much to do with killing Jason. He got a trap nerf and a grab nerf. This could’ve been done pre-patch just as easily. So I don’t entirely see your point. But I applaud the Kanye/Taylor reference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TiffanyIsOP said:

Really, the recent Jason nerfs don’t have much to do with killing Jason. He got a trap nerf and a grab nerf. This could’ve been done pre-patch just as easily. So I don’t entirely see your point. But I applaud the Kanye/Taylor reference.

Yeah, but he's much less of a threat now...

I never got killed as Jason nor have I've ever killed him.

The only time I allowed it was because I wanted to see it happen.

There were a few close calls were I could have died, but they never got me as I still killed them. My skills as Jason has vastly improved over time, so no one has come close now. Will it ever happen? Probably at some point. I wouldnt cry about it and would congratulate the team.

51 minutes ago, TiffanyIsOP said:

He got a trap nerf...

Trap nerf?! Wait all Jason’s have less traps now, or they deal less damage??

EDIT: NVM you’re referring to stacking them. I get it now. 

• Like 1

I have been able to stop most attempts to kill me but I have died once to my group of friends as Jason. I blame part of this on the bug at the time making the sweater invisible on counselors (I thought I had killed the person wearing it early on)..

Regardless, when it did happen it really did hurt my pride. I didn't rage or anything but I was turned off from the game for a while.

Since Jason isn't really meant to lose it can be pretty demoralizing when happens anyway.

• Like 1

I got killed early in my Jason career but I was excited cause I hadn't seen it before.

I got a big mouth so there have been plenty of attempts on me since but I've always either killed Tommy or the sweater girl. Speed hackers tried to kill me once, and if you wanna hear salty, kill a speed hacker wearing the sweater. That was a highlight for me.

A lot of Jason's that get killed never morph to the shack when the prompt plays. The minute I hear Mama crying, death awaits that sweater thief.

I would've been pretty bummed out if I was killed when I was around level 70 or 80. Once I got 101, things stopped bothering me as much. If I get killed now I would probably be ok with it. (Unless I'm using 8 or 7, then I would be sad) I've killed my fair share of Jason's  (Purple and Savini, I'm looking at u) and it's still easy to fuck it up, so if they can pull it off I'd probably be impressed more than upset

I got killed as Jason for the first time last week in a quick play lobby. I was actually really impressed with their teamwork and they were a really great group of guys. I think the fact that they were cool and fun to play with made being killed a lot easier for me; it was something new and I had a lot of fun. However, if the people were douchebags for no reason, I might have been a bit salty over it. Lol.

4 hours ago, Caulus said:

Yeah, but he's much less of a threat now...

His threat level is legitimate now. Pteviously it wasnt because the extra long grab range is deceptive to players not already familiar with it. You think you're safe when Jason could get you.

5 hours ago, Omnichris64 said:

I see no stigma. I have never died as Jason but shit happens. 

Same for me as well.There was that one time when the game had first came out where someone was able to knock the mask off and they tried to kill me but they forgot the sweater lol but however I have NEVER BEEN KILL AS JASON.

Getting killed as Jason is heart breaking.  I've done it with friends to newbie jasons and i felt bad about it.  Wonder if they quit playing because of it..  I tend to not want to do it anymore.

Because of that im now paranoid of it happening to me.  So i always check players in lobbies.. Check their ranks and check their friends list.  If i notice a few friends playing in the same lobby and i can't hear them in public chat i assume they are in party chat.  So if i do get Jason i put one trap right at the entrance to Mommas House.  And all my Jasons have the head punch kill (Even tho i rarely use that kill)

If they do manage to get the sweater i wait for Stalk..  Then i shift grab and head punch the camper wearing it ASAP.   I've had people message me calling me a pussy for doing that because i 'ruined' their chance to kill me and used a head punch.  As if im supposed to care.   

• Like 2

Played since launch. Never tried to kill Jason, never been close to being killed. Mask has been knocked off around 3 times but never seen a sweater wearing councillor at the same time.