Alkavian

A piece of unsolicited advice to the Devs.

1 minute ago, BrokenGrabJsonOP said:

GRAB IS PERFECT NOW

You should change your new to BrokenGrabJasonWasOP

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Not really sure. People are too sensitive nowadays and try to make too many things off limits to joke about. Plenty of things make me giggle that other people give me appalled expressions about. My time in the Army really made nothing sacred. Laughter is a stress reliever.

I think I see humor more like Andy Kaufman did. He done what he done to see people's reactions and to make himself laugh. It was funny to him and those that got the joke, got it.........and those that didn't, they either got confused or angry. It was still funny to Andy tho........and it's funny to me. ?

@AdmiralJT I think it should be "NewGrabJasonIsOK". He should definitely ditch the whole "Broken" thing. People in here tell me that members who start their names with "Broken" are stupid and I'm starting to believe it. ?

4 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

You should change your new to BrokenGrabJasonWasOP

its too soon for that, I will wait more, also this forum doesnt have an option to change your user name

9 minutes ago, BrokenGrabJsonOP said:

its too soon for that, I will wait more, also this forum doesnt have an option to change your user name

I thought you had like 9 accounts already, what's 1 more?

30 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I thought you had like 9 accounts already, what's 1 more?

Lmao I was thinking the same.

6 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

Lmao I was thinking the same.

In fairness he's racked up a fair bit of reputation points with this account, so I can understand him not wanting to start over again.

33 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

In fairness he's racked up a fair bit of reputation points with this account, so I can understand him not wanting to start over again.

what are you talking about? this is my only account I have @Kodiak is this allowed? they are harassing me and accusing me with no reason. I love this account ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BrokenGrabJsonOP said:

what are you talking about? this is my only account I have @Kodiak is this allowed? they are harassing me and accusing me with no reason. I love this account ❤️

I'm sure everyone was just joking. I know I was but I also didn't say anything about other accounts. Inviting a mod, even one as cool as Kodiak, will only mean @Alkavian will have his thread shut down for nothing more than someone beimg butthurt over a joke. SMH

Edit: Since it appears @BrokenGrabJsonOP can't take a little joking, I'd like to clarify my earlier joke about using "broken" in a name being stupid. If y'all will notice, my name starts with "broken" and the joke is that I've been called stupid (more or less) in these forums. This is my last post in here as I'm not gonna be blamed for getting this thread locked.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

I'm sure everyone was just joking. I know I was but I also didn't say anything about other accounts. Inviting a mod, even one as cool as Kodiak, will only mean @Alkavian will have his thread shut down for nothing more than someone beimg butthurt over a joke. SMH

Edit: Since it appears @BrokenGrabJsonOP can't take a little joking, I'd like to clarify my earlier joke about using "broken" in a name being stupid. If y'all will notice, my name starts with "broken" and the joke is that I've been called stupid (more or less) in these forums. This is my last post in here as I'm not gonna be blamed for getting this thread locked.

hahaha your name inspired the mine bro, we are the same dont be ashamed, we are brothers you cant do nothing about it

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 7:47 AM, Alkavian said:

I’d like to take a moment to address the Devs directly. @Gertz@GunMedia_Ben@[IllFonic]Courier

For those who are not aware, I have spent the better part of 20 years working in various fields in some form of analytical role or as a developer for training related materials for the military. I have spent, literally, days at a time doing trends analysis, statistical assessments, and developing courses of action based on changes made within a given “system”. I provide feedback, suggest changes, and develop workable changes to improve performance. I’m going keep this brief, but I’d like to suggest a couple things:

1. If you are working with a system that has a ton of consequential interplay between mechanics, don’t change too much at one time. Before you make any changes, assess what implication that change will bring. Figure out what other factors within the system will be affected and forecast the most likely outcomes. Make the change and observe. Keep the change modest.

2. Adjust that single change as needed until you get the desired result. (the extremes on both sides of the coin quit being the only voices that ring loudest)

3. Make the next change.

I will say I generally don’t have much issue with this last patch in regards to the changes, though I’m still developing an opinion on the grab mechanics as they are now. There has been a lot of negative and positive feedback regarding the implementation of grab reach/area changes, traps changes, Jason’s melee hit detection, and posting icons on the map. The one mistake that I think you have made is that you are tweaking too many things in a single instance without finding that “sweet spot” with your players.

It is much easier to do this kind of work when you are not beholden to pleasing a rabid fan base. For that, you have my sympathy, because it is a battle you cannot win…completely. I would suggest the changes you should focus on are those that were complained about most. I get that is why you tackled the grab reach debate. That is fine. You should have singled that mechanic out and fully sorted it before addressing anything else.

Using the method of tossing enough stuff at a wall and finding out what will stick will end up costing you more time than just methodically fixing one key issue, then moving on to the next. As it is now, you are creating tons of different feedback trains, with each one focusing on a different change. Plus, there are a few other trains still rolling in regards to previous adjustments (or lack thereof). As you’ve told us before, you are a small team. Please be cautious about how many fires you light at once regarding game mechanics hot buttons. It creates a very fluid dynamic and a ripple effect in gameplay. More importantly, it makes it harder to figure out exactly what you NEED to fix when so many different factors are altered regarding gameplay. Just some food for thought.

The new DLC’s are nice. Thank you. Keep up the hard work.

TL;DR

Don’t make too many changes to gameplay mechanics at one time. It makes it harder to sort out issues and fine tune functionality. You’ll also get less backlash from the players.

At least someone that understand what is going on +1 for your post, there is two problems for this game one side the players doesn't help for issues, instead they are insulting,criticize and threating them without argument to it. Second are the low communication to solving issues from the devs.

The patch himself is great, the DLC is great , but a lot of issues did come with this patch, what they can do is listen to our feedback and fix everything before the next major patch.

3 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

I hope Wes sees this thread.

You know what......so do I. Goddamn, man, is making a fucking joke about his mustache really that fucking bad??

HEY @wes!!!! PLEASE come see this and be offended cause I don't like your mustache. Please tell me you can't take a joke and that I'm the most god awful piece crap in this forum.

Jesus Christ, this is ridiculous

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone. Looks like I touched a nerve with a recent tweet. I apologize if that came off as dickish or entitled or something. That wasn't my intention at all. It also seems that some within this thread are under the assumption that my tweet about Battlefield was or has some correlation to the F13 community. That is not the case. What I was saying about BF was that before the game is even out, fans are pissed that there are females in the game, and that some of the costumes aren't authentic to the time period. What I was trying, and obviously failed at, was pointing out that those types of decisions are creative decisions, made by the creative directors at the dev studio. Or perhaps the request came from higher up the food chain, not sure. But the vitriol and toxicity that was coming out of that community were disheartening and alarming. There's a big difference between a community talking to the designers/developers about changes to a launched game vs what is going on with BF. There are creative decisions, and there are development decisions. 

With F13, the game has been out, and changes have been made. Some good, some bad. I would never suggest or insinuate that if a community doesn't like a change, or if rebalancing is suggested, that a team ignore that and chalk it up to "creative decisions". Those are totally different things. If something is broken, not functioning correctly, needs polish, etc, that's feedback that teams need to move the game in the right direction. Saying "women didn't fight in WWII and you're ruining BF" is not constructive and was a creative decision. I know that some don't believe that games are art, but I do. And I think a lot in the industry would agree that what they do is an art form. So my tweet was saying if there's art you don't like, don't consume it. Or better yet, make your own art instead of tearing down others. But again, if something is broken, that's totally different.

As for the thick-skinned comments or discussions about my mustache or being a hipster, that's fine. I can take the comments, no biggie. The only reason I have a mustache is to remind myself to not take life so seriously. It has very little to do with being categorized as this or that type of person. Making games is incredibly stressful. We've all had health scares that directly relate to stress. So when I wake up every morning and look at this silly, goofy ass mustache in the mirror...it's kinda hard to take that person in the mirror seriously. So it kinda keeps me mentally in check. Plus kids think I'm a Disney villain, so that's an added bonus.

But my overall goal in that tweet was to push people to get into the art that they love. If you love playing games, learn more about the process of making them. Watch videos on how game engines work, join local game dev groups, hell even make stuff in Minecraft. It's good for the soul to make stuff. To have an image in your head, and then make it tangible. It feels good to create, and for me, not so great to tear down. 

So again, if my comment came off as condescending or asshole-ish that is my fault and I apologize. I just want more people to make stuff. :)

-W 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, wes said:

.......As for the thick-skinned comments or discussions about my mustache or being a hipster, that's fine. I can take the comments, no biggie. The only reason I have a mustache is to remind myself to not take life so seriously. It has very little to do with being categorized as this or that type of person. Making games is incredibly stressful. We've all had health scares that directly relate to stress. So when I wake up every morning and look at this silly, goofy ass mustache in the mirror...it's kinda hard to take that person in the mirror seriously. So it kinda keeps me mentally in check. Plus kids think I'm a Disney villain, so that's an added bonus.........

Thanks for the apology, @wes. It's easy for people (including myself) to read into what others say and derive their own meaning, so clearing up what you meant was nice. I hope you can also see how the things said could be seen the way they were.

I also hope that even though we are all different, the art of comedy (humorously commenting on society) can be hit or miss. Hits some....... Misses others, right?

The mustache thing is, was and will always be a joke. Why would I or anyone really shave another man's mustache out of revenge? That's not only the stupidest idea ever.......but also funny as hell.

I'm fully expecting a warning or a ban because to be honest, a lot of people feel like your team doesn't take joking or real criticism very well.

I'm sorry if ANYTHING I say on your forum hurts ANYONE, but being PC isn't law and hurt feeling do heal. For as many times as I've been told to "Chill, it's just a game" I wonder if those same people realize they could also "Chill".......... It's just a joke.

I'll finish by saying that if you take anything in this thread serious, it should be the points @Alkavian has made in regards to F13:TG. We all love the game, but we want it to be the best game it can be. We all deserve that. You, your team, the players, Sean Cunningham and any person that is passionate about this franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, wes said:

So again, if my comment came off as condescending or asshole-ish that is my fault and I apologize. I just want more people to make stuff. :)

-W 

Wow dude...if only you ever put that much thought and commitment to replying to issues about the game, and not only when it comes to defending yourself. But I'm glad to see you can break shit down when it's convenient for you.

You said a lot of good things there. Maybe consider them and put them into practice going forward for F13. If that was the case, you wouldn't need to be making this post to begin with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

Why would I or anyone really shave another man's mustache out of revenge?

This is why.

To be fair though, I doubt the F13 playing community and Amish intersect at all, but still...

11 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

And I maintain........ It's ridiculous & hilarious!!

Hahahahahaaaaaa

(Actually this is ALL becoming ridiculous & hilarious. To the point I'm almost sick of it. GM have lost me a supporter and a customer. The forum is just a place where opposing opinions battle and we all look for ways to be satisfied with something that's unsatisfactory. Censorship and PC culture will prevail here and this edit will get laughed at, but nobody including myself really cares. At the end of the day, I know none of you people and none of you truly know me. Fuck it.)

17 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

And I maintain........ It's ridiculous & hilarious!!

Right?  Although I wouldn't go so far as to call it "ridiculous", but I am finding it wildly entertaining.  

4 hours ago, wes said:

Hey everyone. Looks like I touched a nerve with a recent tweet. I apologize if that came off as dickish or entitled or something. That wasn't my intention at all. It also seems that some within this thread are under the assumption that my tweet about Battlefield was or has some correlation to the F13 community. That is not the case. What I was saying about BF was that before the game is even out, fans are pissed that there are females in the game, and that some of the costumes aren't authentic to the time period. What I was trying, and obviously failed at, was pointing out that those types of decisions are creative decisions, made by the creative directors at the dev studio. Or perhaps the request came from higher up the food chain, not sure. But the vitriol and toxicity that was coming out of that community were disheartening and alarming. There's a big difference between a community talking to the designers/developers about changes to a launched game vs what is going on with BF. There are creative decisions, and there are development decisions. 

With F13, the game has been out, and changes have been made. Some good, some bad. I would never suggest or insinuate that if a community doesn't like a change, or if rebalancing is suggested, that a team ignore that and chalk it up to "creative decisions". Those are totally different things. If something is broken, not functioning correctly, needs polish, etc, that's feedback that teams need to move the game in the right direction. Saying "women didn't fight in WWII and you're ruining BF" is not constructive and was a creative decision. I know that some don't believe that games are art, but I do. And I think a lot in the industry would agree that what they do is an art form. So my tweet was saying if there's art you don't like, don't consume it. Or better yet, make your own art instead of tearing down others. But again, if something is broken, that's totally different.

As for the thick-skinned comments or discussions about my mustache or being a hipster, that's fine. I can take the comments, no biggie. The only reason I have a mustache is to remind myself to not take life so seriously. It has very little to do with being categorized as this or that type of person. Making games is incredibly stressful. We've all had health scares that directly relate to stress. So when I wake up every morning and look at this silly, goofy ass mustache in the mirror...it's kinda hard to take that person in the mirror seriously. So it kinda keeps me mentally in check. Plus kids think I'm a Disney villain, so that's an added bonus.

But my overall goal in that tweet was to push people to get into the art that they love. If you love playing games, learn more about the process of making them. Watch videos on how game engines work, join local game dev groups, hell even make stuff in Minecraft. It's good for the soul to make stuff. To have an image in your head, and then make it tangible. It feels good to create, and for me, not so great to tear down. 

-W 

Thanks for dropping in Wes. If we misconstrued your position regarding the tweet and it's implications, so be it. Apology accepted. You have ours as well for the misunderstanding. 

As for the mustache...I'm fine with you being the resident Bond villain. ?

In regards to the game, I do hope you guys polish it up and fix the bugs. They are probably the biggest thing (besides hosting/quitting) that continually kick the community in the teeth. They are no longer quirks of an indie game. They are persistent problems that handicap a successful game!

giphy.gif

Well, I certainly didn't think I'd be back in my contemplation thread again this SOON. I should first probably start off with what is going right:

1. The Devs are pushing out (or have pushed out) fixes specifically for bugs. Outstanding. This is what we've needed for a very long time.

2. I see the Devs poking about on the forums a bit more. Glad to see you got your ear to the ground.

So what is going wrong? Some bugs are not being fixed and the patch is bringing...yes you guessed it...MORE bugs.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:38 PM, Alkavian said:

I’ll close with this.

1. You need to be getting hot fixes out to patch bugs. Fix a few (for sure) and patch. Don’t wait for some damn major content to push with it. Do the best you can and SEND IT. If this has to happen a couple of times to make everything better; that is totally cool – do it. Save big content (i.e. maps, Jasons, modes, challenges, etc.) until you iron out other issues with the existing content complex.

2. Keep up the good communication. Shifty you the man. Thanks for dealing with us.

3. Play test. Granted all of us hairless chimps are here, but I’d prefer we find the minor or extremely rare stuff. Not fling poo at you because of all the obvious stuff.

Devs you are finally doing what we all needed. You're getting us patches. You're addressing bugs to the exclusion of other content. You're reacting fast! THANK YOU! Please however, note what I said in #3. Play test! The simulations that @wes mentioned are not properly accounting for how players behave. They DON'T WORK well enough to find the issues that real players do. People should not be asking the Devs, "please don't send the Xbox patch, it will break the game further." I've never heard a community that is this frothy about a game beg their developer NOT to update it for fear of causing more problems.

I'll close with this:

1. Keep the bug fixes coming. Stay on that shit until the fire goes out...or at least is reduced to embers. Don't get discouraged. This is a good direction you guys have chosen!

2. Keep involved. I know you guys are getting a lot of flak right now, but if you know what's good for you....don't slink off and hide. Shifty you just keep doing you.

3. Let me say this one more time. Quit letting the simulations do the leg work on patch testing. Here is a bit of tough love, and not meant to be offensive (but if you take it that way, note that I don't give a shit); you guys are fucking with my calm. GET OFF YOUR FUCKING ASSES AND PLAY YOUR GAME TO FIND WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT! You are doing a bunch of things right now by the community and the game, but failing at the most basic QA.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Nothing will change until Illfonic is fired and another team is brought on board.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zmccain said:

Nothing will change until Illfonic is fired and another team is brought on board.  

You get right to the point. I couldn't have said it better myself!

6 hours ago, Alkavian said:

giphy.gif

Well, I certainly didn't think I'd be back in my contemplation thread again this SOON. I should first probably start off with what is going right:

1. The Devs are pushing out (or have pushed out) fixes specifically for bugs. Outstanding. This is what we've needed for a very long time.

2. I see the Devs poking about on the forums a bit more. Glad to see you got your ear to the ground.

So what is going wrong? Some bugs are not being fixed and the patch is bringing...yes you guessed it...MORE bugs.

Devs you are finally doing what we all needed. You're getting us patches. You're addressing bugs to the exclusion of other content. You're reacting fast! THANK YOU! Please however, note what I said in #3. Play test! The simulations that @wes mentioned are not properly accounting for how players behave. They DON'T WORK well enough to find the issues that real players do. People should not be asking the Devs, "please don't send the Xbox patch, it will break the game further." I've never heard a community that is this frothy about a game beg their developer NOT to update it for fear of causing more problems.

I'll close with this:

1. Keep the bug fixes coming. Stay on that shit until the fire goes out...or at least is reduced to embers. Don't get discouraged. This is a good direction you guys have chosen!

2. Keep involved. I know you guys are getting a lot of flak right now, but if you know what's good for you....don't slink off and hide. Shifty you just keep doing you.

3. Let me say this one more time. Quit letting the simulations do the leg work on patch testing. Here is a bit of tough love, and not meant to be offensive (but if you take it that way, note that I don't give a shit); you guys are fucking with my calm. GET OFF YOUR FUCKING ASSES AND PLAY YOUR GAME TO FIND WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT! You are doing a bunch of things right now by the community and the game, but failing at the most basic QA.

Damn, brother.  I love this fire from you.  Well said.  To the point.  I feel you are probably one of the voices from this forum that is heard by them so keep it up.  Tell it like it is.  

• Like 1

I don't like to say this but maybe its time  Gun can found a new dev partner , it would help the game . Illfonic  while being huge to development just sadly cant help them now. # Drop The Ill