Sign in to follow this  
Archgamer

There is not enough room to add more counselors

With a 35 pt system there is not much you can do to add more counselors without them playing too similar to somebody else.

Fox plays almost exactly like Adam. At this point if they continue to add more, it's just going to be a character we've played before in a different skin.

And no, we can't have a character that moves fast with a good repair skill. They would be OP and make other fixers useless.

We also can't have a character with high luck and high strength. They would be able to remove Jason mask too quickly and make other fighters useless.

2 minutes ago, Archgamer said:

With a 35 pt system there is not much you can do to add more counselors without them playing too similar to somebody else.

Fox plays almost exactly like Adam. At this point if they continue to add more, it's just going to be a character we've played before in a different skin.

And no, we can't have a character that moves fast with a good repair skill. They would be OP and make other fixers useless.

We also can't have a character with high luck and high strength. They would be able to remove Jason mask too quickly and make other fighters useless.

Why not add a character with high speed and good repair? Every other thing they did in this last patch made things easier for the counselors. Why stop there?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, malloymk said:

Why not add a character with high speed and good repair? Every other thing they did in this last patch made things easier for the counselors. Why stop there?

I know right!

But on a serious note more then half the cast can already repair well. Kenny's 5/10 repair is a 5-6 second repair with no mistakes, which makes him and anybody else above him already pretty good at it.

They seriously need to stop having more and more repairers in the game.

• Like 1

This is all true, but I don't think it matters much if a character plays largely the same as another character. It's still another character to play, and gives you access to that playstyle without having to play a character you may not like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MichaelMemers said:

This is all true, but I don't think it matters much if a character plays largely the same as another character. It's still another character to play, and gives you access to that playstyle without having to play a character you may not like.

That's like saying, "let me pick Tiffany in swimwear, and you play Tiffany in regulars". No difference except skin.

The more characters they add, the less unique each character becomes, because of the limit of what we can do with a 35 pt system.

Just now, Archgamer said:

That's like saying, "let me pick Tiffany in swimwear, and you play Tiffany in regulars". No difference except skin.

The more characters they add, the less unique each character becomes, because of the limit of what we can do with a 35 pt system.

Well, I don't really think the characters should need to be restricted to 35 points. Not all attributes or attribute combinations are equal. That's why some characters are great and others suck despite having the same number of points.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm ok with counselors being very similar to existing ones. For example: i would like to see a snobby, rich bitch, mean girl character in the game. If she had basically the same stats as Chad, that would be cool with me. It basically gives you a 2nd skin option for that particular play style. You get a gender choice.

As you stated counselors will start to feel just like other counselors. Just look at it as having skin options for each specific play style. 

They could make Shelly have essentially the same stats as Fox. Or take Megan (or someone based on her) from part 6 and give her the same stats as Adam. Another male character to play like A.J. A female that plays like Kenny etc.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A.J. Mason said:

I understand what you're saying, but I'm ok with counselors being very similar to existing ones. For example: i would like to see a snobby, rich bitch, mean girl character in the game. If she had basically the same stats as Chad, that would be cool with me. It basically gives you a 2nd skin option for that particular play style. You get a gender choice.

As you stated counselors will start to feel just like other counselors. Just look at it as having skin options for each specific play style. 

They could make Shelly have essentially the same stats as Fox. Or take Megan (or someone based on her) from part 6 and give her the same stats as Adam. Another male character to play like A.J. A female that plays like Kenny etc.

Just my thoughts.

I completely agree with this post! I don’t mind Fox is like Adam at all. It’s gives a small wiggle room to get used to if you love Adam like I do and as stated gives basically a second skin for this type of character. I’d love to see a female Chad or a male Tiffany counterpart. That would add more variety to the game without breaking anything. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Archgamer said:

You have a point but the fact that we get more skins would give more variety options for players. Its annoying to see 5 chads or AJs running around so I really don't mind "repetitive" counselors with different skins. Fox is the female version of Adam with some small tweaks and Mitch is the male Version of AJ with some tweaks as well.

Maybe an all 5 female character that would make for the female version of Kenny and maybe a Male version of Jenny... I don't really know but it doesn't hurt the game at all.

I don't see why a character can't have high luck and strength, they if they have low something else, such as composure (the sight of a dead body makes a gibbering wreck). Rather than tip the scales even more in favour of counselors than they just did, I would like to see Jason be able to destroy tables once rage mode is active. He can break a door down just by walking into it, why not be able to destroy tables too?

6 hours ago, Archgamer said:

There's no reason to not have variety. As someone said, you may not like the character archetype, but want similar skills.

I kinda agree. Whatever counselor is added next will be similar to one that already exists. However, I don't mind there being a female and male counterparts. Like Adam and Fox, Eric and Deborah, etc. I think the only way this could change is redoing the point system (which I have no idea what they would change it to) or adding more categories (which risk making it way too complex).

Personally I don't mind new counselors with similar stats to older as long as the models are different. As it is its too weird having a game full of the same counselors so some new character models are always welcome. Otherwise the only way forward to is to redo the stat system complety. Maybe have a unique perk for each counselor?

Yeah, I don't see the problem with similar stats. Some of the original counselors have similar stats. I enjoy seeing a varied cast. 

1 hour ago, GideonShandy said:

I don't see why a character can't have high luck and strength, they if they have low something else, such as composure (the sight of a dead body makes a gibbering wreck). Rather than tip the scales even more in favour of counselors than they just did, I would like to see Jason be able to destroy tables once rage mode is active. He can break a door down just by walking into it, why not be able to destroy tables too?

Two update ago, luck was inverted. I decide to run Buggsy and the amount of times I played him, I was able to remove Jason mask in an unbelievable amount of games because I had the strength to do so, and I had the luck to hang on to my weapon instead of fetching for a new one. If you had a fighter like that, why even run Buggsy or Chad in your games?

They're not skins. They each have their own voice and clothing options. And the emotes are just icing on the cake. 

Are you saying that we shouldn't have more counselors?

• Like 1

Similar stats don't bother me a bit. I'd love more counselors if even just to break up the monotony of seeing the same 3 or 4 every round. I can appreciate the different aesthetics and also, more counselors mean more RP opportunities. At least for me.

There are plenty of unique combinations not tapped into. I'd like to see some more dynamic counselors that really make you compromise stats. There is no counselor that has great strength, great repair, but shit on everything else. There's no counselor that has great speed and stealth but shit everything else. There are a lot of combinations waiting for new counselors

Bear in mind that Tommy has 10s in everything, and isn't completely broken.

You could have a character with amazing luck and strength. Just give them terrible speed and stamina. Like 3s for both. Make them a tough older guy, but with bad knees. Someone who can fight, but can't really rescue people. They have to come to him.

Base him on Abel or Enos - one of the characters who try to warn the kids away from the lake.

I'd make them:

Luck: 9

Strength: 9

Speed: 3

Stamina: 3

Composure: 3

Stealth: 1

Repair: 7

They're lucky because they've lived around Crystal Lake for years and not died. Strong because they're big dudes (9s because nobody should have multiple 10s)

Poor speed, stamina and stealth as they're older, more ungainly, and out of shape. Bad composure, as they know of and fear Jason's power.

Decent repair as they live in the woods where it's a necessity. Also makes them not totally defensive for gameplay purposes, and able to actually complete objectives in the small areas they police.

High mobility and excellent repair is an unworkable combo though. You can't really balance that out. It's fine for Tommy, as he's just the one character, and Jason's had time to get established. Have a bunch of people as repair runners from the start would wreck the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggot Head said:

There's no reason to not have variety. As someone said, you may not like the character archetype, but want similar skills.

Ken and Ryu. Agree with everyone who doesn't mind similar stat counselors.

• Like 1

Put some actual counselors in the game, like the people from part 1, 2 or 6.  Or heavily based on them instead of focusing on and favoring part 3 so much.

Whats the point of unique counselors if most of the lobby can be the same counselor, with the same exact stats anyway. If thats going to be the case then i'd rather it be a lobby variated with different characters with similar stats.

10 hours ago, Abstract Daddy said:

I completely agree with this post! I don’t mind Fox is like Adam at all. It’s gives a small wiggle room to get used to if you love Adam like I do and as stated gives basically a second skin for this type of character. I’d love to see a female Chad or a male Tiffany counterpart. That would add more variety to the game without breaking anything. 

Another way to look at it is perk combinations. Even if the characters are close to the same stats, sometimes certain perks may not always work in your favor. So instead saving us the trouble of changing perks, you can always just switch over to another character that has similar stats, only with a different perk class.

There's always the option to ask for certain Counselors to have their stats readjusted if needed.

A.J., Deborah, and Eric comes to mind, as all of them are basically the 'stealth-and-repair' Counselors with little differences in their play-styles besides Eric not being able to jog without making noise but can use weapons slightly more efficiently than the ladies, while both A.J. and Deborah being able to wear Pamela's Sweater.

If it were up to me, I'd swap A.J.'s Strength and Repair to make her a 'stealth-hit-and-run' Counselor who can also serve as an efficient guardian for other Counselors. I'd make Eric a stronger Repair Counselor who can step on a trap once without being crippled immediately, can also duke with Jason in a crisis. Deborah would remain unchanged, as I feel that her current stats are just about perfect for her.