Kodiak

Feedback thread for the newest update (25 Oct 17)

Overall impressions of the newest update  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how would you rate the changes made to the game in the newest patch?

@Tommy86 I haven't really discussed distance or range in my post but neither have I discussed the design so nonetheless the grab in general is poor before and after the update. But now it means Jason players will actually have to work harder in order to win a match.

11 minutes ago, MidnightCallerXx said:

@Tommy86 I haven't really discussed distance or range in my post but neither have I discussed the design so nonetheless the grab in general is poor before and after the update. But now it means Jason players will actually have to work harder in order to win a match.

Theoretically. What actually seems to have happened is running Jasons have now become the most popular option, as walking Jasons feel sluggish with the new grab distance, and slashing instead of grabbing has become more prominent, due to grabs missing more often. At least this is what I have observed since the patch. So it's up to you whether you call that working harder or not. Also by talking about the grab nerf I was assuming you were talking about the range, as that's what was nerfed.

12 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Theoretically. What actually seems to have happened is running Jasons have now become the most popular option, as walking Jasons feel sluggish with the new grab distance, and slashing instead of grabbing has become more prominent, due to grabs missing more often. At least this is what I have observed since the patch. So it's up to you whether you call that working harder or not. Also by talking about the grab nerf I was assuming you were talking about the range, as that's what was nerfed.

By nerfing the grab range, players now have to work harder to catch counselors. This is what he meant. Now, they also need to slash more to cripple and finally grab them. And if they have a pocket knife, it just makes them survive 10 seconds longer unless they have a med spray.

6 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

I haven't seen people picking running Jasons more frequently, part 8 is still a top pick just as usual as well as Savini but then again that is subjective as it's a different experience for each player.

At first I felt the same way and that slashing was more prominent now then ever but then I realised people have always slashed just as people have always shift-grabbed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MidnightCallerXx said:

This is my take on Jasons grab nerf.

What I can appreciate about the grab nerf is we don't get any incidents where his grab is completely ridiculous, you may find yourself in situations like these which for the most part couldn't be avoided due to connection issues and no dedicated servers.

GreedyDismalHumpbackwhale-size_restricte

This looks and feels completely broken and a Jason player could just close their eyes and end up grabbing someone unless it's an experienced and no fucks given counselor, the only way this gameplay could be plausible would be if it were Star Wars trying because last time I checked Jason couldn't use the force.

At this point in the game, the majority of Jason and counselor players alike would often shut down any complaints from a player in one of these given situations with things like "You need to just get good" or "You just suck at the game", which is incredibly rich as now those people are the ones saying that the Jason nerf ruined the game and it's impossible to catch counselors....... yeah sure whatever you say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And my favourite comment is "The Jason nerf makes the game not scary at all", yes because watching people dancing in super hero costumes and tiny swim shorts is truely frightening already.

----

Though I can appreciate that it is much more challenging to catch counselors with the last update, it can still be done and we wont see much balance in gameplay until the servers and Jason mechanics have found a happy medium in which they can work without any problems for both players.

What I have enjoyed about the new update is that it has opened up my style of gameplay for Jason, I am now utilizing all of his gameplay mechanics aswell as trying to stay one step ahead of the counselors rather than just grab constantly.

Although this update is a bit extreme in these server conditions (Which are far from brilliant) you just have to make do with what you have and challenge yourself as a Jason player.

Um... no.

Jason's grab NEVER worked this way. The only way you would see this is, like you said, due to connection issues, or a LAG SWITCH. What would make you think that people don't cheat at this game?

NOTHING was wrong with Jason's grab as it was. I played the game enough to know and so did you. Did you ever perform one of these grabs? I know I didn't because I couldn't. People here act like Jason never missed. Most likely you were playing with a cheater. People did this ALL the time in Call of Duty. No one nerfed the bullets!

You were just getting handled by a cheater and thought that Jason could reach from one room into another.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Caulus said:

Um... no.

Jason's grab NEVER worked this way. The only way you would see this is, like you said, due to connection issues, or a LAG SWITCH. What would make you think that people don't cheat at this game?

NOTHING was wrong with Jason's grab as it was. I played the game enough to know and so did you. Did you ever perform one of these grabs? I know I didn't because I couldn't. People here act like Jason never missed. Most likely you were playing with a cheater. People did this ALL the time in Call of Duty. No one nerfed the bullets!

You were just getting handled by a cheater and thought that Jason could reach from one room into another.

Explain me this: 

• Like 1

Yikes!

Ok, that's a bit far.

75% of that should stay and would be ideal, though. Walking Jasons need that edge to counter his many opponents.

Edit: That must be from an earlier version (Earlier than the last two patches). I can't remember ever grabbing a counselor from that distance.

@Caulus I once proposed a small cooldown (not reduce its range) for Jason's grab to make him more of a bruiser. It got rejected...

9 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

By nerfing the grab range, players now have to work harder to catch counselors. This is what he meant. Now, they also need to slash more to cripple and finally grab them. And if they have a pocket knife, it just makes them survive 10 seconds longer unless they have a med spray.

It shouldn't be work to catch anyone as Jason. It should be work to get away. 

• Like 1

Anyone who “appreciates” any nerf to Jason isn’t really a Friday the 13th fan, probably knows nothing about the movies and will be playing something else in a month or two, it’s a shame because if this crap isn’t fixed al, the f13 diehard fans will be gone as well, I used to look forward to playing the game, would play it fo hours , now I can to no more than a couple of games, and the huge group a regulars I play with in private aren’t on much either anymore.

These are the people who love the franchise and backed the game(still haven’t received my copy) aren’t on anymore, it’s boring as a counceler and not fun as Jason.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

In my case, I was already doing this. I tried not to simply chase a counselor desperately grabbing at air, I'd make sure I had knives as often as possible to cripple them with, as well as perform Shift Swings to cripple them more if I thought they may have a pocket knife. Shift Grabs have not been that effective against good players for a long time already, they can be consistently evaded at least until you have Stalk which hides the Shift marker. So until that point, Shift is more useful simply for its stamina drain by using it for the full duration (cooldown is the same no matter when you end it).

With all that in mind, as far as tactics to catch counselors are concerned, the grab range nerf didn't really change things for me. I just carried on doing the same as I did before, with the same results. What the grab nerf did seem to change for me though is that grabs now miss at distances were they logically should not. The grab was still an outward cone shape before, but like I said, the greater range it had prior to this update meant that you didn't need to grab so close and thus avoided the design problems where a counselor cannot be grabbed close-range unless they are centered to Jason.

As others have suggested, widening the cone shape to compensate for the decrease in range should be a good fix, otherwise we will keep seeing things like Jason's hand literally clipping through the counselor's head but unable to grab them. It doesn't need to be like before (though it was never to the extent shown in the video which is purely a result of lag), but it also shouldn't stay the way it is now.

11 hours ago, MidnightCallerXx said:

I haven't seen people picking running Jasons more frequently, part 8 is still a top pick just as usual as well as Savini but then again that is subjective as it's a different experience for each player.

At first I felt the same way and that slashing was more prominent now then ever but then I realised people have always slashed just as people have always shift-grabbed.

Part 8 is still a popular choice because of +Destruction, Savini may be as well but he is quite rare on PS4 so I wouldn't know. Out of everyone on my list for instance, I'm the only one who owns Savini. All the other choices I have seen have mainly been Parts 3 and 4. I've played in full lobbies numerous times where those two Jasons are the only selections.

I may be wrong about slash being more prominent, but it certainly looks that way in my experience. And though I am still able to catch counselors using my old tactics, I too have been more inclined lately to play running Jasons as the walking ones do indeed feel more sluggish to play now. The only other running Jason, Part 2, is now a lot less useful with the change to traps and also gets less play. 

EDIT: I think what it comes down is that, where possible, players will opt for a different solution entirely rather than take time to adapt to changes affecting their old habits. Up until now, the grab had been the same since release and players were very accustomed to it (both as Jason and as counselor), and some more than others. So instead of adapting to it, which can take time, they choose the easier method instead which favours damage and agility over precision. 

In the The Oct. 11 patch, Jason's grab didn't reach as far as that video. The significance of this patch as well as one prior to it, is that was when I was doing most of my Jason fighting. The grab range was perfect. I was only grabbed when I should've been. I never felt like I got cheated.

I can't speak for any of the patches before these, but I feel like these patches (Oct. 11 & the one prior) had it right, and I would like to see these settings restored.

It shouldn’t be an issue when a counselor is brushing Jason’s shoulder and he made so many attempts at grabbing you by the neck, it’s stupid. I remember moving around next @pioneer67fkd in a small cabin next to Packanack Lodge and I was trying to stun him with a frying pan taking swing after swing and he couldn’t grab me after nearly 5 attempts and I managed to finally stun him, I wasn’t even in combat stance and I was basically right next to him I call that bs even from a counselors perspective 

• Like 3

Fox and Jarvis buffs, awesome!

Parts showing on map,neutral/slightly negative.

Jason nerfs, trash! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

It shouldn't be work to catch anyone as Jason. It should be work to get away. 

Wrong. Remember what @wes said on Twitter? He said that multiplayer passes during the final chase between Jason and the last survivors on a F13th movie.

And during that moment, Jason didn't use Jedi powers to suck his victims into his hand and killed them instantly. Jason runned/walked after or confronted them. He showed effort into trying to kill the last survivors. If the game cannot reproduce this, then it is not a F13th game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Explain me this: 

I like this video, it helps me explain why the pre patch grab was fine the way it was. If you watch this video it will show Jason grab the counselor at the end of the carpet and slide back into his position... ( it is an incomplete animation he should be stepping forward one step to complete the grab!!! Just like when you miss one and it whiff by a counselor now, how often do you stand there and just press grab I am always on the move while using Jason....) the pre grab looks like an over reach because of that lack of added animation of moving forward a step.

1 minute ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

I like this video, it helps me explain why the pre patch grab was fine the way it was. If you watch this video it will show Jason grab the counselor at the end of the carpet and slide back into his position... ( it is an incomplete animation he should be stepping forward one step to complete the grab!!! Just like when you miss one and it whiff by a counselor now, how often do you stand there and just press grab I am always on the move while using Jason....) the pre grab looks like an over reach because of that lack of added animation of moving forward a step.

Stop tripping, man!

Or try to create a topic explaining this... explanation.

3 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Wrong. Remember what @wes said on Twitter? He said that multiplayer passes during the final chase between Jason and the last survivors on a F13th movie.

And during that moment, Jason didn't use Jedi powers to suck his victims into his hand and killed them instantly. Jason runned/walked after or confronted them. He showed effort into trying to kill the last survivors. If the game cannot reproduce this, then it is not a F13th game.

You can't compare the game to the movies in that way, it simply doesn't work. I could give countless examples of how the gameplay doesn't match up to the movies or reality, whether that's someone being unaffected by a hit from a deadly weapon, stepping in a bear trap and walking away, using magical healing spray that makes you good as new after sustaining critical injuries, jumping through closed windows and from two story cabins like it's nothing, and on and on. My point is that these kinds of things exist in the game because they serve a purpose for the gameplay, and that includes the grab mechanic. So whether or not they are in the movies, or are realistic, is irrelevant.

Wes describing the multiplayer experience as reel 3 or 4 of the movie doesn't have anything to do with the difficulty level of playing as Jason, it merely sets the scene where counselors are now aware of Jason's presence. This is also described in relation to single player which is supposed to take place at reel 1 before anyone knows he is there. That's all it has to do with it.

And while we're on the topic of how the movies play out, Jason does kill almost everyone with just about no effort, and it's only ever the last 1 or 2 remaining survivors who make him work for it. He is near unstoppable in each movie, with supernatural strength and mobility, and if the game did more accurately match the movies, most counselors would die instantly from a single weapon hit. But that wouldn't be fun for anyone. So again, these kinds of comparisons to the movies are irrelevant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Jason runned/walked after or confronted them. He showed effort into trying to kill the last survivors. If the game cannot reproduce this, then it is not a F13th game.

Well i don't recall any "victim" of Jason chain stun him either or tea bagging him or dancing in front of him or a group of 5 people chain stun Jason with a machete and walk away easily while Jason slash their back with an axe...because right now this is what the game reproduce

5 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

It’s a game... Not the movies.

@Tommy86 and @Blinckx I also don't remember in the movies Jason using Jedi powers to catch counselors 3 meters aways from him, Jason stopping cars, counselors being togheter or him destroying groups of counselors with his grab. When it is to compare the old grab to the movies, you all keep your mouths shut because it helps Jason, even if it's unfair for counselors and make his other tools useless. I would bet a thousand dollars that if the Jasons in this game only had +Shift, the old Grab and the kills, no one would EVER say anything about it.

Jason was too easy to play before. Just grab to solve everything in your path. Easy and unfair. Because of this, a lot of people ragequitted the match because they died with a simple shift-grab. Not a single struggle or anything reminiscent from the movies except for the grab kills (gameplay-wise). Counselors weren't a challenge to kill and Jason used the grab all the time since his other tools were bugged and/or nerfed from the start (most of them still are).

Jason needs to be buffed but not his grab. Especially against groups of counselors who try to stun him all the time. If the grab is reverted, it will ruin the chase again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@Tommy86 and @Blinckx I also don't remember in the movies Jason using Jedi powers to catch counselors 3 meters aways from him, Jason stopping cars, counselors being togheter or him destroying groups of counselors with his grab. When it is to compare the old grab to the movies, you all keep your mouths shut because it helps Jason, even if it's unfair for counselors and make his other tools useless. I would bet a thousand dollars that if the Jasons in this game only had +Shift, the old Grab and the kills, no one would EVER say anything about it.

Jason was too easy to play before. Just grab to solve everything in your path. Easy and unfair. Because of this, a lot of people ragequitted the match because they died with a simple shift-grab. Not a single struggle or anything reminiscent from the movies except for the grab kills (gameplay-wise). Counselors weren't a challenge to kill and Jason used the grab all the time since his other tools were bugged and/or nerfed from the start (most of them still are).

Jason needs to be buffed but not his grab. Especially against groups of counselors who try to stun him all the time. If the grab is reverted, it will ruin the chase again.

Hey mate calm down i just wrote was a joke, maybe a bad one but still a joke and i never said anything about the range of the grab, i say to increase the angle and buff him nothing else. So please don't presume what i want or my ideas because you didn't even read them

1 hour ago, NoOneK9503 said:

maybe we didn’t complain or “keep our mouths shut” because we agreed with the way the mechanics worked before.... Counselors feared getting to close to Jason groups did not completely chain stun him over and over again.  And I can also say we don’t play Jason 90% of the time we play counselor 90% of the time.! Gameplay for him was a lot more enjoyable than it is now.

I definitely prefer the way the game used to play as a counselor. There are many tools to avoid Jason grab as a counselor...  prepatch and now.( with out being able to stun him with any melee weapon as any counselor in one hit.)

You complain that Jasons just use the grab to solve everything.... Well I’m not gonna lie ..the grab kill, environmental or otherwise are the better kills compared to  hack/knife throw repeat... What other mechanic do you want Jason to use to solve things....

Playing as a counselors now is much easier than playing as Jason (It damn sure is not stressful)... That’s the issue the mechanics don’t  properly work as Jason, The grab Nerf just exposed that melee combat is unreliable Add in an unreliable grab..... and it’s just face palm ?‍♂️ terrible.

You call the old grab a Jedi power... When at the end of the day it was a faulty animation issue. Jason should always lunge forward as he grabs. the animation only showed him grabbing and pulling the counselor to his position making it look like a vacuum grab ....( incomplete  animation).... it should have a step forward with the lunge grab and that would have Alleviated the vacuum/force grab that players complained about. If you watch the animation of Jason’s grab as he  misses a grab You can see him walking forward..with the grab animation.

i am all for adjusting the grab it doesn’t have to go back to pre patch but it does need more tweaking to make it more reliable.

• Like 2

@OCT 31 1978 First, I didn't mean to say that you need to kill them by hacking most of the time. Just slash until you cripple them and you can do a grab kill.

And last, Jason NEED buffs. Counselors cannot stun him all the time. We need to stop this tactic. Jason's weapon range needs to increase too. And things like hit detection, windon issues and combat stance bugs also need some fixes.