Kodiak

Feedback thread for the newest update (25 Oct 17)

Overall impressions of the newest update   165 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how would you rate the changes made to the game in the newest patch?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

196 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@Tommy86 and @Blinckx I also don't remember in the movies Jason using Jedi powers to catch counselors 3 meters aways from him, Jason stopping cars, counselors being togheter or him destroying groups of counselors with his grab. When it is to compare the old grab to the movies, you all keep your mouths shut because it helps Jason, even if it's unfair for counselors and make his other tools useless. I would bet a thousand dollars that if the Jasons in this game only had +Shift, the old Grab and the kills, no one would EVER say anything about it.

Jason was too easy to play before. Just grab to solve everything in your path. Easy and unfair. Because of this, a lot of people ragequitted the match because they died with a simple shift-grab. Not a single struggle or anything reminiscent from the movies except for the grab kills (gameplay-wise). Counselors weren't a challenge to kill and Jason used the grab all the time since his other tools were bugged and/or nerfed from the start (most of them still are).

Jason needs to be buffed but not his grab. Especially against groups of counselors who try to stun him all the time. If the grab is reverted, it will ruin the chase again.

Hey mate calm down i just wrote was a joke, maybe a bad one but still a joke and i never said anything about the range of the grab, i say to increase the angle and buff him nothing else. So please don't presume what i want or my ideas because you didn't even read them

1 hour ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@Tommy86 and @Blinckx I also don't remember in the movies Jason using Jedi powers to catch counselors 3 meters aways from him, Jason stopping cars, counselors being togheter or him destroying groups of counselors with his grab. When it is to compare the old grab to the movies, you all keep your mouths shut because it helps Jason, even if it's unfair for counselors and make his other tools useless. I would bet a thousand dollars that if the Jasons in this game only had +Shift, the old Grab and the kills, no one would EVER say anything about it.

Jason was too easy to play before. Just grab to solve everything in your path. Easy and unfair. Because of this, a lot of people ragequitted the match because they died with a simple shift-grab. Not a single struggle or anything reminiscent from the movies except for the grab kills (gameplay-wise). Counselors weren't a challenge to kill and Jason used the grab all the time since his other tools were bugged and/or nerfed from the start (most of them still are).

Jason needs to be buffed but not his grab. Especially against groups of counselors who try to stun him all the time. If the grab is reverted, it will ruin the chase again.

maybe we didn’t complain or “keep our mouths shut” because we agreed with the way the mechanics worked before.... Counselors feared getting to close to Jason groups did not completely chain stun him over and over again.  And I can also say we don’t play Jason 90% of the time we play counselor 90% of the time.! Gameplay for him was a lot more enjoyable than it is now.

I definitely prefer the way the game used to play as a counselor. There are many tools to avoid Jason grab as a counselor...  prepatch and now.( with out being able to stun him with any melee weapon as any counselor in one hit.)

You complain that Jasons just use the grab to solve everything.... Well I’m not gonna lie ..the grab kill, environmental or otherwise are the better kills compared to  hack/knife throw repeat... What other mechanic do you want Jason to use to solve things....

Playing as a counselors now is much easier than playing as Jason (It damn sure is not stressful)... That’s the issue the mechanics don’t  properly work as Jason, The grab Nerf just exposed that melee combat is unreliable Add in an unreliable grab..... and it’s just face palm ?‍♂️ terrible.

You call the old grab a Jedi power... When at the end of the day it was a faulty animation issue. Jason should always lunge forward as he grabs. the animation only showed him grabbing and pulling the counselor to his position making it look like a vacuum grab ....( incomplete  animation).... it should have a step forward with the lunge grab and that would have Alleviated the vacuum/force grab that players complained about. If you watch the animation of Jason’s grab as he  misses a grab You can see him walking forward..with the grab animation.

i am all for adjusting the grab it doesn’t have to go back to pre patch but it does need more tweaking to make it more reliable.

1 person likes this

@OCT 31 1978 First, I didn't mean to say that you need to kill them by hacking most of the time. Just slash until you cripple them and you can do a grab kill.

And last, Jason NEED buffs. Counselors cannot stun him all the time. We need to stop this tactic. Jason's weapon range needs to increase too. And things like hit detection, windon issues and combat stance bugs also need some fixes.

9 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Wrong. Remember what @wes said on Twitter? He said that multiplayer passes during the final chase between Jason and the last survivors on a F13th movie.

And during that moment, Jason didn't use Jedi powers to suck his victims into his hand and killed them instantly. Jason runned/walked after or confronted them. He showed effort into trying to kill the last survivors. If the game cannot reproduce this, then it is not a F13th game.

I could really care less what wes says.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@OCT 31 1978 First, I didn't mean to say that you need to kill them by hacking most of the time. Just slash until you cripple them and you can do a grab kill.

And last, Jason NEED buffs. Counselors cannot stun him all the time. We need to stop this tactic. Jason's weapon range needs to increase too. And things like hit detection, windon issues and combat stance bugs also need some fixes.

Sounds like we both want the same things, game mechanics to work properly and both side to enjoy playing against each other! ? 

6 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

You mean a lot of new players (or average ones at best) ragequit from being Shift-grabbed. Or simply grabbed for that matter. Those who actually knew how to play could consistently avoid the Shift-grab, and a Jason spamming grab was also often avoidable even just by running counter-clockwise around him, because the same close-range issues with grab existed then too. The force pull only happened at a certain distance. While pocket knives were a new player's only hope, they were and continue to be useful even for players who can avoid grabs, as a random stumble in combat can get you killed without it even being your fault. 

I think what most of us are asking for is not for the grab range to go back to the way it was, but simply for its close-range issues to be fixed, which were always a problem. They just weren't as much of a problem before because Jason didn't need to grab as close. 

6 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Jason vs armed groups of counselors is indeed a vulnerability, he doesn't have any specific tools to counter it. Running Jasons with +Weapon Strength are the only ones built for it, as the bonus in agility and damage help him hack 'n' slash a group to death and evade their attacks. Throwing knives help too but are a limited resource. Combat stance doesn't help (especially now since it is bugged) for anything other than a quick block, but is less effective than simply moving around since Jason can't block from all sides, view all angles or see behind him. Firecrackers and projectiles also can't be avoided in combat stance. So I agree that nothing in his design has anything specific to deal with a mob of counselors, and could use some improvements for that purpose.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

I could really care less what wes says.

:lol:

I hate complaining, but I really struggle to get kills against high speed/stam characters now with the grab nerf.

Literally 4 players ganked me and I just remained stunnned at an exit until the police arrived. 

Jason is now a huge challenge to even get 4 kills a match.

1 hour ago, Culp said:

I hate complaining, but I really struggle to get kills against high speed/stam characters now with the grab nerf.

Literally 4 players ganked me and I just remained stunnned at an exit until the police arrived. 

Jason is now a huge challenge to even get 4 kills a match.

Use throwing knives, pick up as as many as you can in the match, and also do laps around them in Shift for the full duration to drain their stamina. End it with a weapon swing instead of a grab, so you at least damage them. Rinse and repeat. That's the best way to wear down counselors, and just as effective against high speed/high stam ones. Once they're out of stamina and/or crippled, you can grab them whenever you like or just slash them to death.

The old shift grab allowed people to play as they chose to as Jason. The new patch removes nearly all of Jason's strategies. Now everyone HAS to grab knives, use the block, can't strategize trap use, ect. Now there is essentially only one style all Jason's are forced to use, making Jason super predictable.

I don't mind the old grab, especially as a counselor. It just doesn't feel as high stakes anymore. These days people are likely to feel embarrassed to get killed by Jason. 

That isn't the way it should be.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Caulus said:

The old shift grab allowed people to play as they chose to as Jason. The new patch removes nearly all of Jason's strategies. Now everyone HAS to grab knives, use the block, can't strategize trap use, ect. Now there is essentially only one style all Jason's are forced to use, making Jason super predictable.

I don't mind the old grab, especially as a counselor. It just doesn't feel as high stakes anymore. These days people are likely to feel embarrassed to get killed by Jason. 

That isn't the way it should be.

This is such exaggeration that I don't even know where to begin. In terms of gameplay, everyone should always have been using knives, blocking, and using Jason's abilities skilfully in general. Shifting in Stalk for instance is just as effective as it was before. Obvious Shift Grabs, on the other hand, haven't been effective against good players for a long time.

The simple reason is that majority of players do not know how to play the game, and I'm not surprised given how adamant the community was in the past about F13 remaining a casual experience, and refusing to learn any competitive side to it. As a result there's a lot of monkey Jasons in lobbies now who play the match clutching at air as they always did. Being able to do that with more success before did not mean there was more freedom in how to play Jason, only less motivation for learning. Against good teams, a Jason like that would get destroyed even before the patch.

The main thing I didn't like about the update was the trap nerf, and specifically in regards to the phone box, as good teams can and do take advantage of its weak defense now. It's still manageable most of the time, but the possibility is there and can create a lot of pressure for Jason. But seeing as most people can't even understand the strategy behind multi-trapping, it's not worth talking about again. It's something that simply requires different strategy to counter against now.

1 person likes this

Some of this silly narrative about "complaining", "crying", "bitching" I read is pathetic.

Every consumer has a right to critique the product that he/she purchases, whether that's a vacuum cleaner, a refrigerator or a Friday the 13th game.

What makes this different to a vacuum cleaner is that many people have a vested passion about the movie franchise that this game is based upon. Of course people are going to speak out if they feel modifications are negating the game they are enjoying. It's important to remember that the genesis of why people are criticising the recent update is simple...they like and enjoy playing the game. They want it to be the best it can be.

The way some people immediately infer any critique or criticism as "complaining"/"crying" etc makes me think these people must be personality types who overly-react, and can't take any form of criticism in the real world. This (mis)interpretation of it - speaks volumes.

I thrive on, and welcome... criticism. Every sphere of my life (academically, professionally, personally) has been bettered by it. Nobody should dismiss, shut down or censor criticism towards them...no matter who you are. 

On 8/11/2017 at 7:20 PM, NoOneK9503 said:

THIS

Please fix those damn things.

I'm so tired to see ANY counselor hitting Jason and stun him every single damn time, this make no sense AT ALL. I'm tired to miss someone right in front of me because the hit detection is broken. People jumping 10 times in a broken windows suffer no damage, combat stance to destroy door that lock you in silly animations while, counselor to the other side are able to hit and stun you and more.
The problem is not the grab range or the trap stacking, the problem is that Jason is bugged, the grab cone wide is silly, the weapon damage/range is wrong, and so on

On 08/11/2017 at 4:21 PM, NoOneK9503 said:

Jason was too easy to play before. Just grab to solve everything in your path.

This is what I agree with, a lot players (from all levels) would only use grabbing as a method of winning the match and some could do this fairly well, unless they got the car started it was quite easy to kill counselors. (Depending on the Jason) And it quickly became the norm to grab as Jason. That's why I feel like now Jason has been nerfed with his grab, people soon realise how hard it is to play Jason without relying on it working as it used to. I am not for buffing or nerfing Jason anymore, just fix him. He was certainly broken before and he is still broken now.

On 08/11/2017 at 6:02 PM, OCT 31 1978 said:

You call the old grab a Jedi power... When at the end of the day it was a faulty animation issue.

That sounds very pointed, as if it is a counselors fault if they die because Jason has a faulty grab animation.

If what you are saying is true then it wouldn't be the counselors fault at all, nor the Jason player, therefore people would be understandably unhappy with it.

(Prepare for my shit analogy time) If Jason was chasing me down the street and he grabbed me like he did pre-patch and killed me, then once I got to heavens gates the passive-aggressive receptionist told me "Oh yeah, Jason has a weird grab and like you really should of done a better job avoiding it, I mean it really is your fault, I mean have you not seen the videos? You should be at least an average oriental rugs distance away from jason at all times, or something like that I don't know". I would be pretty annoyed and angry. Because remember kids, before all else remember to stay an average rug size away from all men in hockey masks in case they grab you with their invisible faulty animations but it wouldn't matter because it's all your fault. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, Caulus said:

Now everyone HAS to grab knives, use the block

Oh my goodness, people now have to utilize all of Jasons gameplay mechanics, how monstrous!

2 people like this

6 hours ago, MidnightCallerXx said:

(snip)

Oh my goodness, people now have to utilize all of Jasons gameplay mechanics, how monstrous!

God forbid a player to choose the strategy that works for him/her...

Edit: Again with these people with agendas... Why should Jason be forced to play so stressfully? Counselors don't need to complete every objective. If you're in favor of forcing Jason to work so hard, I'd say balance it out and remove the cops as an option entirely.

Why should counselors have it so easy when Jason has to work so hard? Remove the cops. Counselors now have to use everything at their disposal to get away.

In my opinion, this is a counselor nerf equal in strength to the nerf Jason has recently received.

3 people like this

It is crap. Totally...utterly... crap. I don't know what they were thinking but whatever it was it cost them a huge chunk of support.

as a counselor, Vanessa, the sweater sequence sometimes dosent activate... not sure if this has been reported already but just thought id throw this in here... other than that.... love the game!!! waiting for more jason kills and maps!!!

On 11/11/2017 at 8:06 AM, MidnightCallerXx said:

This is what I agree with, a lot players (from all levels) would only use grabbing as a method of winning the match and some could do this fairly well, unless they got the car started it was quite easy to kill counselors. (Depending on the Jason) And it quickly became the norm to grab as Jason. That's why I feel like now Jason has been nerfed with his grab, people soon realise how hard it is to play Jason without relying on it working as it used to. I am not for buffing or nerfing Jason anymore, just fix him. He was certainly broken before and he is still broken now.

That sounds very pointed, as if it is a counselors fault if they die because Jason has a faulty grab animation.

If what you are saying is true then it wouldn't be the counselors fault at all, nor the Jason player, therefore people would be understandably unhappy with it.

(Prepare for my shit analogy time) If Jason was chasing me down the street and he grabbed me like he did pre-patch and killed me, then once I got to heavens gates the passive-aggressive receptionist told me "Oh yeah, Jason has a weird grab and like you really should of done a better job avoiding it, I mean it really is your fault, I mean have you not seen the videos? You should be at least an average oriental rugs distance away from jason at all times, or something like that I don't know". I would be pretty annoyed and angry. Because remember kids, before all else remember to stay an average rug size away from all men in hockey masks in case they grab you with their invisible faulty animations but it wouldn't matter because it's all your fault. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So let me get this straight, Jasons grab should not be the main way to kill counselors?

This patch does some good things for the game such as Jason not getting cheated out of a kill/XP when a poor sport quits, new counselor, new kills, fixed glitches that's all great.  However, I feel like this patch has hurt the game more than help.  So much so that I'm considering not playing anymore.  

Counselors being able to see items on the map is a split it does help combat trolls who hide items.  At the same time while playing as Jason I target counselors with items looking to kill them off the path to make it more difficult for others to escape.  I've seen some suggest items only appear on the mini map, I'm ok with that but I think appearing on the larger map is too much.  Overall this is a change that makes the game easier for counselors and really should not have been made as based on my experience the number of people hiding items is not very high.  

Jason not being able to double trap is the biggest problem with this patch.  Jason should be free to use his traps however he sees fit.  This problem is most evident with the phone always double trap the phone ALWAYS.  No longer being able to double trap has made calling the cops extremely easy for counselors.  I've seen some say just replace the trap the problem is if a pocket knife was used you will not be alerted and unless you just happen to check your map at the right time you would never know until the cops have already been called.  I've tried different ways to set two traps to get around this new minimum distance but in most cases one trap ends up being good and the other bad.  Since this new update this has happened to me more than once playing as Jason, match starts, morph to phone, set trap, break some Windows, morph to car, set battery trap, set gas trap, cops are called.  Way to easy...I've been playing this game since its release and can count on one hand the number of times the cops were called that quick on me as Jason and it's happened way too much with this patch.  This is a change made just to make the game easier for counselors and should not have been made.  

Tommy Jarvis 2.0 should be called Tommy Jarvis OP.  TJ already has max stats a shotgun and now has a pocket knife and health spray.  He can potentially take three traps out now without sacrificing himself.  Also based on my experience people are not playing hero Tommy they are just escaping as quickly as possible.  This was a change that did not need to be made and was only made to make the game easier for counselors.  

Limiting Jason grab was also unnecessary and was a change only made to make the game easier for counselors.  I understand sometimes Jason got cheap grabs on counselors but most of the time the grabs were fair.  It wasn't a situation where Jason's grab was so broken it made it impossible to escape him.  Like I said sometimes yes he got cheap grabs, sometimes.  However, every match now Jason misses grabs when counselors are well within his reach and sometimes right in front of him.  The grab is broken now in favor of the counselors.  

I enjoyed playing the game equally as a counselor or as Jason.  The challenge of trying to survive against Jason and get as many of my teammates out as possible was always fun as was hunting down and killing all of the counselors with ease playing as Jason.  I've heard on gaming podcast and from people I've played the game with both friends and randoms that some of these changes were made because many people complained that Jason was just too overpowering.  To which I say yeah he supposed to be that's what makes the game fun, difficult as a counselor, easy as Jason.  Plus surviving Jason wasn't even that hard...don't get me wrong it's a challenge but not so frustrating that it's not fun.  The game should always be largely in Jason's favor and this patch even though it did some good has swung the game in favor of the counselors by a considerable margin.

1 person likes this

I like the stacking trap thing. I think that's fine. I like pretty much all of the changes that have been implemented into the game except for these:

Jason's grab range - I absolutely hate it now. If it was too long before, it is way, way too short now. 

The windows and door changes - Why can't I just hit a window with my weapon and break it? Why would you take that out of the game? This is so mind boggling to me, and the way that it is now, I find it next to impossible to hit a counselor climbing through a window, regardless of circumstance. With the door, having to go into the awkward door chopping animations make going after skilled counselors, who are already jumping in and out of windows that you can't hit them through, that much harder.

The abundance of pocket knives - it sure feels like there are a lot more pocket knives on the board now. I haven't read through this thread, so maybe I'm just crazy or had a bad "roll of the die" the last few times I was Jason and , but it felt like there are around 5 - 7 knives in play when it used to feel more like 3 - 5.

These changes have made playing Jason feel a lot less "Jason-y" then it used to, and made a scenario that was already challenging - playing against a lobby of experienced counselors - into one that is frustrating. In addition, I feel like it is forcing me into a more "slashy Jason" playstyle, that isn't as fun.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. If everyone in this thread is already bitching about these same things, and I'm just adding to the chorus, then I apologize. I haven't actually read through it yet, but came here to write down my thoughts first.

EDITED TO ADD:

I LOVE the addition of the items showing up on the maps though. I think that is an awesome idea.

EDITED TO ALSO ADD:

I also love the changes to Tommy, which I think were needed. I know I'm bitching about the pocket knives up above, but Tommy spawning with one was something I always thought was necessary. You can't really expect the guy to drop everything and go run to play interference on Jason if he's just going to get grabbed and killed, and it's a lot easier to play Tommy that way if you're not having to stop and search houses first.

@RKSDooM As far as the canned door chopping, I don't think it's a bad idea but that's only if Jason is a threat. Presently, he is not a threat. He should be able to melee the door, seeing as he has been nerfed into the ground.

The windows should be either/or. You should be able to melee or "canned attack" them. The item dropping thing is a little too useful. If they nerfed it to show only on the mini-map when you are close, it would be better for the atmosphere of the game.

Outside of that, we agree on just about everything else.