Kodiak

Feedback thread for the newest update (25 Oct 17)

Overall impressions of the newest update   165 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how would you rate the changes made to the game in the newest patch?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

196 posts in this topic

Jason's grab and traps got nerfed to make the game easier for counselors. Also, Tommy starts out with a pocket knife. Guess he'll be getting slashed to death everytime. If you wanted an easy mode for this game and wanted Jason to be disrespected, then you should either git gud or quit playing and go to DbD. We don't need scrubs like you. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, lasse_hei said:

1. Trapping as Jason. Once one trap is sprung, I cant set another one in its place (same spot, or" too close") Thats just wrong. 

Yes, you can. I tried it at the phone today after seeing people were concerned about this. I placed the trap directly on the same spot. 

3 hours ago, SnakeSound222 said:

Jason's grab and traps got nerfed to make the game easier for counselors. Also, Tommy starts out with a pocket knife. Guess he'll be getting slashed to death everytime. If you wanted an easy mode for this game and wanted Jason to be disrespected, then you should either git gud or quit playing and go to DbD. We don't need scrubs like you. 

AKA - anyone with a pocketknife is "easy mode", anyone with health spray is "easy mode".  I don't know about you but if I'm there to go after Jason, I'd bring along something other than a one shot item.  I don't know how a single pocket knife disrespects Jason, but to each their own. 

Actually, since 90% of the time people play as counselors you absolutely must have a healthy thriving player base. 

"I think you may need some reading glasses."

Please read what you wrote, which I then quoted.  

Edited by va_ghost
rebuttal

I gave an eight out of ten.

Fox, Tommy Jarvis, and being able to see dropped objective parts on the map are all welcome additions/changes.

With further playing I'm not 100% sure the grab range is perfect just yet, but it's heading in the right direction since Jason can't use the Force to grab people from 10+ feet away.

I'm indifferent about the trap change. I never stacked traps on objectives to begin with so I could use them to play mind games with counselors. However, I will immediately start placing a trap at the map stand.

All in all, not a bad patch at all. Grab range could maybe use a little more fine tuning, but I'd first like to see how the grab cone range/radius even looks to begin with before I make an opinion on that one.

I'm waiting until I get more playtime in before I vote. Everything seemed great in the few games I got in last night.

1 hour ago, va_ghost said:

AKA - anyone with a pocketknife is "easy mode", anyone with health spray is "easy mode".  I don't know about you but if I'm there to go after Jason, I'd bring along something other than a one shot item.  I don't know how a single pocket knife disrespects Jason, but to each their own. 

Actually, since 90% of the time people play as counselors you absolutely must have a healthy thriving player base. 

I never said anything about health sprays or that anyone with a pocket knife is easy mode or disrespects Jason. I think you may need some reading glasses. Tommy will never get to use that knife against a good Jason unless he bodyblocks a grab because he will be slashed to death, so it is a useless item against good players unless you're trying to disarm traps. And since Tommy always seems to spawn so close to Jason, he will be pursued and murdered right from the start unless Jason is defending an objective. It also won't be fun for Tommy against P3, P4, and Savini due to their enhanced weapon damage. He'll die in 3-5 slashes from the beginning, depending on what percentage of Thick Skinned the counselor has equipped.

I personally really enjoy this update. Fox is a great addition to the collection of counselors. The helpful items to Tommy I think are nice as well.

I think Jason’s grab range is perfect and as I’ve played through today I feel it’s very direction based? Not only does he have to be within reachable distance but he has to be facing you. I remember being able to grab counselors even if they were almost completely to my left or right and clearly out of my grab range. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve grabbed someone before and then all I hear “Look at that bullshit grab! Look at that. Man, this game.” in frustration and I agreed with them. They were clearly too far away from me to catch them and now they need to be closer and within realistic reachable distance. I love his new grab range. It’s perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing.

I also like that he can’t place traps on traps anymore and has to spread them out. To anyone who thinks this is dumb, you can still minefield the phone box as any Jason. I saw a P9J yesterday who did it. Granted, they weren’t exactly on top of each other thankfully but they were still laid in such a way that it would take at least two knives to take out. 

The only thing I don’t like about this update is the extra little glitches I’ve seen. :c Some players have told me in matches they only got 50xp and never killed anyone despite myself witnessing them beat Jason’s ass as Tommy. I’ve rarely seen the boat spawn on large maps and when it does there’s a (seemingly) 50/50 chance you get in and are completely unable to move, get out, do anything other than flash your flashlight. I had a P4J Jason grab me last night and when I thought I was a goner we both teleported out to the water and therefore Jason had to let me go. That was wrong and he should have definitely grabbed and killed me before the random teleportation. The other thing I’ve noticed is a bunch of Jason players dropping out. Not an incredible amount but more than usual. At least 10 games from last night into today I’ve played maybe 40 matches and 10 of those at least had a Jason rage quit in the middle of the match. I don’t know if these guys are sore losers and need GoGoGadgetArms to grab people and the ability to layer traps ontop of each other or if they just were having a bad day but it just seemed like it spiked in Jason players rage quitting in the middle of the match. 

4 hours ago, Blackbird68 said:

Nerfing Jason grab but buffing his melee doesn't even make sense the only people that are for that are fast councelers because they know they can't be caught so yeah let's just buff his melee makes no sense at all he still won't be able to catch you and this isn't a Jason just sucks issue either most great jason's are not liking these changes. We don't go for 5/8 kills we want 8/8 and trying to get us lower then that is not cool.

What about stamina loss when they are hit?

This is the counselor OP update, really don't need to say anymore. smh

3 people like this

They should remove the self-pointing towards the fellows, it is very annoying when someone crosses and the blow is directed towards the fellow.

I hate that Jaosn's grab rage has been nerfed, I can't grab for shit now, and I don't like that you can't stack traps anymore, I like Tommy's change though, the new environmental kills and you can now see dropped items on map.

11 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

You're such a bad person!

Awww, thanks!

Jason’s grab is laughable now. I have counselor’s trolling me because I could sneeze on them yet me grab goes through them or they’d be well within range yet it doesn’t count. Similarly, at least with Part 4, I could again sneeze on counselor’s and my swings blantantly go through them. And no not an issue of lag. Pretty frustrated atm, couple that with the Jason bug where he can’t do anything because he’s stuck in the window break prompt. Had it happen three times in a row in same match. Even saltier when it happens during rage mode. 

On 26/10/2017 at 8:33 PM, Abstract Daddy said:

I personally really enjoy this update. Fox is a great addition to the collection of counselors. The helpful items to Tommy I think are nice as well.

I think Jason’s grab range is perfect and as I’ve played through today I feel it’s very direction based? Not only does he have to be within reachable distance but he has to be facing you. I remember being able to grab counselors even if they were almost completely to my left or right and clearly out of my grab range. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve grabbed someone before and then all I hear “Look at that bullshit grab! Look at that. Man, this game.” in frustration and I agreed with them. They were clearly too far away from me to catch them and now they need to be closer and within realistic reachable distance. I love his new grab range. It’s perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing.

I also like that he can’t place traps on traps anymore and has to spread them out. To anyone who thinks this is dumb, you can still minefield the phone box as any Jason. I saw a P9J yesterday who did it. Granted, they weren’t exactly on top of each other thankfully but they were still laid in such a way that it would take at least two knives to take out. 

The only thing I don’t like about this update is the extra little glitches I’ve seen. :c Some players have told me in matches they only got 50xp and never killed anyone despite myself witnessing them beat Jason’s ass as Tommy. I’ve rarely seen the boat spawn on large maps and when it does there’s a (seemingly) 50/50 chance you get in and are completely unable to move, get out, do anything other than flash your flashlight. I had a P4J Jason grab me last night and when I thought I was a goner we both teleported out to the water and therefore Jason had to let me go. That was wrong and he should have definitely grabbed and killed me before the random teleportation. The other thing I’ve noticed is a bunch of Jason players dropping out. Not an incredible amount but more than usual. At least 10 games from last night into today I’ve played maybe 40 matches and 10 of those at least had a Jason rage quit in the middle of the match. I don’t know if these guys are sore losers and need GoGoGadgetArms to grab people and the ability to layer traps ontop of each other or if they just were having a bad day but it just seemed like it spiked in Jason players rage quitting in the middle of the match. 

The Jason’s leaving is the result of the grab not grabbing. Simple as that I could be on top of people looking them straight in the face and they walk past me like a joke. 

While I do love all of the supposed additions and fixes, I don't like the new ability to select a server area (North America, Europe, Asia).  I have yet to find a game on PC where my ping is less than 104 (that only happened once).  Mostly now, whichever server I'm in, I have ping around 200ms.

I have made my opinion known on Twitter and I wanted to post here to give the Development team a fair shot at this. 

Currently from the history of patches for this game have been quite unnerving as we almost always cringe at what is going to break next. But rather make this a rant I will state my issues with the Patch in general as well as where I see current problems are with this game. The items I have listed below are referencing certain changes and possible solutions as well. 

1. Jason's Grab-  Specifics on design do not have to be given. But I was alarmed and confused that his grab had a cone template applied. Now I can see the base of the cone starting at Jason and going out to a point which could accurately portray the reach of an arm. Secondly making an adjustment to his reach is not a fix. With the hundreds of hours, my friends and I have in this game the primary reason for the problem lies in the netcode itself his actual template or range. When I see a developer mess with an ability without looking deeper into the issue it bothers me. Most of Jason's crazy range grabs are based net code issues of where the player is last reported and where Jason actually grabs. If you watch enough gameplay you will see that most of the games that have weird grabs in them are based on  Latency of the players. This naturally points to the net code as well since the server issues have increased with each patch. I have plenty of footage showing the changes throughout the games life cycles.

2. Combat Mechanics -

• Character Stats are not taken into account properly ( this is an opinion but before you jump the gun please read everything)
  • Composure should be taken into account for dropping items you carry. This should include weapons and escape items. 
  • Swinging a weapon should cancel a grab
    • Grab is way overpowered and when a player has a weapon they should be able to deal punishment to Jason when grabbed
      • Escape mechanic makes no sense and is only usable by 1 or 2 characters and Tommy Jarvis
      • Weapons break this means the weapon can break when beating Jason off you while grabbed
      • This creates the need the combat stance placed in the game

3. Jason - The fact that trap spamming has gone on this long is an eye opener because you required a hefty price for the Campers to pay in order to disarm them, on the flip side of this you also created a problem for Jason based on damage reduction med sprays and crazy team up situations where he lost a great tool because the campers have 6 med sprays and 4 pocket knives. This was a poorly implemented change that needed far more review than just creating minimum distance changes.

• His trap placement was an issue from day one when a certain Jason has only 3 traps vs another Jason who has 7. 
  • The traps need better dynamics to create a better environment for danger
    • Let Jason use a trap on an environmental kill to create an area of wounding this would create a more dynamic game where you currently have a static game. By static I mean I tell you Jason's first 6 moves in almost every match - 1 Grab knives - 2 Teleport to the Phone box - 3 Spam Traps - 4 Teleport to Cars - Trap Battery and Gas - You have now created a rinse and repeat game where there is no longer suspense.  
      • Main examples I see this on trees in the woods fences on the trails possibly in a cabin
  • An additional point and this strict opinion I feel his abilities need to be moved to make better use of them Teleport - Stalk -Sense - Shift 
    • Moving Stalk to the top will create a completely new suspense layer to the game
    • Sense is pretty useless early on when Jason can use his Sonar to basically Plot where he wants to go Sense is more a later in the match to find pesky hiders
    • Shift should be his last skill as he can sneak up on Campers as well and now later game he has increased movement to create the more intense events
    • Alternatively, you could just let Players place the skills in the order they want and then you never know what Jason you are going to get

4. New Characters - Both new characters seem not to really bring anything to the table as far as Playstyle. I feel they fell short of the mark. I think there are too many characters on the slower end of the spectrum which floods the Players with not enough variety of playstyle. Personally, after looking at Fox I felt she could have easily been a 5 across the board character and everyone would have been happy with it.

Now I am a firm believer in do not gripe unless you bring solutions to the table. That being said, I feel this patch fell far short of the mark and really did not look at what the community was saying. I understand making adjustments but that should not be a go-to move. Too many developers went that route in the past and caused issues in their games while not addressing the real issues.

All the points I have mentioned are strictly under the topic of how short myself and many players in the community have spoken up about. I do have a background in game design and I understand what goes into a lot of it. I believe this game can be great but the development team needs to start really talking to the player base. In my community alone we have more than 10000 hrs logged in this game and I know that is more than any tester. I highly suggest you start putting the community to work that looks at you guys as innovators and stops taking shortcuts that create patches that make us wonder if the game will even work the next time we load it up.

I give it a 5. 

Positives 

I like the changes to Tommy even if it means he's only going to get slashed. The point system for him is a nice addition for those who play him properly.

Fox is a fantastic addition to the game. I really hope to see more characters come straight from the movies if it's possible. 

New kills are also great even if they're only available for one Jason. I have no issue with their price either. Can't wait to see more!

Halloween costumes are a welcome addition as well. I'm a sucker for cosmetics, so i always enjoy this type of content. 

New environmental kills. You can never have enough kills. I haven't seen them or used them yet, but I'm looking forward to them. 

Kills now registering when a player dc's mid kill is another great move!

Negatives (Which unfortunately outweigh the positives)

Jason's grab range always felt fair to me. Needless to say I don't think this was a positive change. I've played tonight in several different lobbies and have only seen 1 player (Not including Jasons on random) who didn't have a running Jason selected. 1 person out of over 30 people I've encountered tonight chose a non running Jason. That doesn't seem healthy for the game if that trend continues. The nerf, not only was too harsh, but unnecessary to begin with. Just my opinion. 

Parts showing on the map was unnecessary for me as well. Im a quickplay guy where there is very little communication and i still dont like it. Finding parts is a core element of the game. Part of that core element has been removed. 

The traps I'm not too fond of either. I get that it's frustrating when part 2 spams them at the phone. Personally its never bothered me though. I either shift my focus, or deal with them if I'm properly equipped (which keeps Jason occupied while others can focus on other repairs). I would maybe be more ok with it, if once my single trap is sprung, I could lay another trap in its exact same spot. The way it's been forever is that you can't lay a new trap over a used one. Change that and I'd be ok with the new trap layout nerf. 

These changes have made playing as Jason a frustrating experience for me. I feel like I should look forward to my rare chances at playing my favorite slasher. I don't look forward to it anymore. I have changed my preference to counselor. 

TL;DR 

New content: great

Jason nerfs: I'm not mad at the devs, I'm just really really disappointed! 

The grab and trap nerf is really bad. The Tommy buf is nice.

Well, i play in new version a Game. 

Im glad, for devs make new update, and i like this update.

Good:

• New dress is awesome. Now my favorite Chad like a William Zabka in "Karate Kid" i love it;
  • Tommy spawn with med spray and PK, its realy good. I dont understand, why he spawn without it in earlies;
  • New enforcement kill is awesome (kill with knife - best of all);
  • New grab range is realy good. I play 4 time as Jason yesterday, and all of this game, no one survived. Now shift+grab hardest, but possible.

But we have "Bad side":

• Basebal bat still no have 100% chance to stun;
  • Chad still have 4 hit on Basebal bat (earlies he can 8 hit);
  • Leavers still here;
  • DLC kills only for Jason part 4. Its realy good kils, but Jason p4 is sucks, and 3 new kill its so few for DLC.

Anyway 10/10! My favorite game great again!

I am also waiting to give it a vote, need more time to see whether I adjust to the grab. But regarding strictly gameplay updates (not content like Fox and kills) -

Positive -

1. Ability to view objective items on the map. Extremely positive change 

2. Restoring Scoreboard to Up

3. Changes to Tommy Jarvis

4. Possibly better item spawns (more playtime required)

Unknown - General bug fixes that actually work, however this requires testing.

Negative -

1. Removal of ability to place formations of traps (not the trap stacking exploit). Valid strategy that counselors were able to counter. Unnecessary Jason nerf

2. Attempted removal of blockswinging has caused Jason to be unable to attack in combat stance after blocking. Extremely negative bug

3. Grab range, under conditions with higher latency, performs far worse than before. Under ideal conditions, more playtime is needed to form a solid opinion.

4. Performance on maps with rain is bad to the point of unplayable. Tested as host with zero connection issues.

5. Door hits being restored to the old amount has negatively affected some Jasons such as Part 7 who actually benefited from fewer hits 

Other -  

1. Game calculating kills incorrectly. Have witnessed game calculating 6/8 after only 3 kills, and matches ending with impossible scores such as 10/6. 

2. Attempted fixing of duplicate tapes have removed tapes entirely. I personally found 3 tapes last night but they do not appear in the menu at all.

That's all that comes to mind right now but based purely on first impression, the Jason experience felt lousy, due to both intended changes and unintended bugs.

Wishlist -

1. Restoring Traps to how they previously functioned (minus trap stacking exploit)

2. Immediate fixing of Jason combat bug, and thorough testing + fixing of all combat related actions in the game eg. Hit detection, weapon stun issues, Jason's long range weapon issues

3. Removal of invisible bubble at windows preventing Jason from interacting with counselors during climbing animation

4. Fixes relating to optimisation / performance

5. Balance updates to Jason Part 7

6. Fixing connectivity issues. It's been a long time coming 

Thanks for reading, I may update with more later.

2 people like this

A little bit of feedback from me, based on 1 game as Fox and 1 game as Jason last night. I'll probably update it when I've had more hands on time.

Edit: Updated 02 Nov 17.

Platform: PC

The Good

• Fox is a great addition. I like her stats and I like the voice actress who plays her.
  • The Jarvis tapes are also a great addition; I find them to be more interesting than the Pamela tapes but that's probably because I like Tommy more than Pamela. I wish that Thom Mathews had reprised his role in the later tapes though. Please consider asking him if you guys intend to make additional Tommy tapes; he seems like a really good guy who had fun playing Tommy so I imagine he'd want to again. It would be a great service to his character if he voiced some additional tapes that detail what Tommy did with his life after part 6.
  • Map glitch fixes are always welcome.
  • Tommy's new changes. He's more heroic for sure, but I personally still have no issue clobbering him whenever he's in play.
  • New environmental kills! I use a lot of environmental kills when I play Jason so I'm happy to see more of them added. The camera is a bit wonky on some of them though.
  • Ability to select servers based on region.

The Bad

• Still don't like how clunky it is when using combat stance with Jason. Combat stance is a very important tool in my Jason arsenal, and I need it to be snappy and responsive like it used to be. It used to respond instantly to being toggled on/off so I could block in a split second; now it seems to take a couple of button presses to toggle it and sometimes Jason doesn't even attack when I try to.
  • The game doesn't calculate the number of kills correctly. First game as Jason I got 8/7 apparently.
  • I dislike the changes to Jason's grab range. I personally still don't have an issue when I play Jason, but my issue is when everyone else plays him. I've killed him 3 times since the new changes (once with @AldermachXI) because I've been finding it so incredibly easy to beat the crap out of him with Fox and epic dodge speed and swing speed perks. He's barely any threat to me at all, even if I play Deborah. 

Undecided/unsure

• Not sure how I feel about removing the ability to multi-trap objectives. It doesn't really affect me all that much because I usually only plonk down 1 trap per objective (1 for phone, 1 at each car's gas tank and 1 at each car's engine), but I've found I'm able to still replace traps in the same place if they get triggered, so there's not a big difference really.
  • I don't know how well the 'get XP if someone DC's mid kill' thing has been implemented. I had 1 or 2 last night DC mid-kill and I didn't get the XP. I don't need the XP seeing as I'm 101, but I'm wondering if it's working right.
  • I'm not sure what my opinion of the 'key items appear on the map' change is. This may be because I'm level 101 and escaping doesn't matter to me anymore. I think this will be a welcome addition once Jason is more dangerous.

15 hours ago, Blackbird68 said:

Nerfing Jason grab but buffing his melee doesn't even make sense the only people that are for that are fast councelers because they know they can't be caught so yeah let's just buff his melee makes no sense at all he still won't be able to catch you and this isn't a Jason just sucks issue either most great jason's are not liking these changes. We don't go for 5/8 kills we want 8/8 and trying to get us lower then that is not cool.

The point is, if they are gonna nerf his grab they need to BUFF his SPEED period. This guy is a clown now, and his attacks go straight through counselors sometimes like they are some sort of xmen mutant, and on top of that he has to hit them over and over but a counselor only has to bust Jason once and hes on his back looking like a fool, smh oh and that items showing up on the map is ridiculous and takes away from the game...jeez what are these guys doing, they are doing some really great things like adding content but quit removing things...like team killing, keep the game realistic, pleass stop watering down your game for novice players. You get team killed? FIGHT BACK OR LEAVE THE LOBBY, Jason grabbing you from 6 feet away, STAY AWAY FROM JASON. 

Just now, Andre said:

The point is, if they are gonna nerf his grab they need to BUFF his SPEED period. This guy is a clown now, and his attacks go straight through counselors sometimes like they are some sort of xmen mutant, and on top of that he has to hit them over and over but a counselor only has to bust Jason once and hes on his back looking like a fool, smh oh and that items showing up on the map is ridiculous and takes away from the game...jeez what are these guys doing, they are doing some really great things like adding content but quit removing things...like team killing, keep the game realistic, pleass stop watering down your game for novice players. You get team killed? FIGHT BACK OR LEAVE THE LOBBY, Jason grabbing you from 6 feet away, STAY AWAY FROM JASON. 

Jason right now is a joke I played part nine earlier and it took me almost the whole match to kill 6/8 one left before I grabbed them one quit at the start and Tommy got ran over by a counceler. But let me tell you all this shit took till twenty seconds at the end because of how bad the shift grab is I could not get anyone I tried and tried I'd get someone and ofcourse they had  a pocket knife so I would have to chase them down again not having that confidence that I'd get them but felt like a slow bastard old man trying to catch up. Not good at all. I want a answer for all this garbage Jason just doesn't feel the same right now. Obviously on their patch they ment to make Jason nerfed and less OP.

1 person likes this

11 people voted for Score 1? The salt is real...

Regardless of whether revealing items on the map stays or goes. I do think there is ONE aspect that should stay regardless of what happens.

When asshole counselors decide to take the other set of car keys or the fuse or the propeller or another car part with them when they escape in the car or the boat. The other counselors who aren't in the area have NO IDEA what happened to the parts.

Add to that, not enough of the community knows the parts/items dry up on the shore line, moreover even what shoreline they dry up on. I DO THINK the parts should show up on the map on the shoreline IF counselors decide to be assholes and escape with them. This would help the remaining counselors understand WHY they can't find other parts.

That's a fair trade to me.

1 person likes this