Kodiak

Feedback thread for the newest update (25 Oct 17)

Overall impressions of the newest update   165 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how would you rate the changes made to the game in the newest patch?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

196 posts in this topic

After a new patch, we see a lot of threads on the forums and a spike in activity. The forums become quite cluttered around these times with various threads about various subjects pertaining to the new patch. Not only should they go in the feedback section of the forum, but there are multiple duplicates usually created. I am putting this thread in the general section for the time being as that's where a lot of people seem to look for answers.

Bearing this in mind, I am creating this thread where people can calmly discuss the newest changes to the game. If you're not happy with the changes to Jason, changes to the maps, changes to Tommy or anything else, here is the place to discuss it.

Flame posts will not be tolerated and if you want to post, then post something that people will want to read, rather than reading the first 2 sentences and thinking to themselves "another crybaby bitchy post".

Post any issues you want to talk about. There is a separate thread for glitches; this one is explicitly for gameplay changes.

What do you like? What do you dislike and why?

2 people like this

I voted 5 some good changes, Fox, Jarvis tapes.

Some poor ones, Grab Range, traps.

2 people like this

The new counselor Fox and Jarvis tapes are great! And the trap stacking removal is better since it makes Jason play more carefully and pay more attention to the objectives.

About the grab nerf, it is a bad change, but for something better. I propose buffing Jason's attack hitbox or his entire attack system (including his combat stance). It will give more chance for the counselor to struggle before dying.

1 person likes this

I only had time to play last night for about an hour but so far I like the update for the most part.

• I don't entirely mind being able to see parts on the map once they've been found. Obviously that change was made to impact public matches since nobody (at least not on PS4) knows how to work together in public, and to combat people trolling by hiding parts.
  • The trapping will take some getting used to but last night in my only match as Jason using part 6 I got 6/8 - the boat to my surprise was fixed very quickly on the Jarvis map nonetheless. Trapped the phone box as close to the box as possible and set another as close to the first as possible, worked out fine for me. Granted by the time the traps went off I didn't have any left to try and replace and if you're currently unable to put one back on a used trap I do hope they change that at least.
  • My biggest and pretty much only gripe probably has to be the grab change. On more than one occasion last night counselors were brushing my shoulder as I was coming out of a shift and I wasn't able to grab them. We've all had that thought that we were screwed by a grab and thinking "he shouldn't have been able to grab me right there" and I don't expect to still be able to grab them from across the room but when they're that close to me, come on now.

Enough people fussed about parts getting lost, hidden, or counselors escaping with them so it was fixed, enough people fussed about the grab range so it was fixed. Make up your minds people, the developers actually listen to us so be careful what you ask for.

This update for me anyway maybe made it more challenging to be Jason, but with all the advantages he already has do you want to be able to kill everyone within 5 minutes or do you want to have to work for it? Everyone saying "oh they gave players an easy button for counselors" well if you think about it Jason has had the easy button for months now.

That's all I'll touch on for now since these seem to be the main changes that everyone's debating about.

3 people like this

+ = Positive

+ Making Tommy more of a threat

+ Fox, though I wish she were a maxed hero alternate to Tommy

+ New Kills/Clothing

/ = Undecided

/ Not sure about giving away objective items to counselors when they drop them, maybe just the dead body or like others mentioned, ONLY on the minimap

- = Negative

- The Window System still needs to be reverted to what it was in beta. Keep the prompt as an optional thing, but remove the shield around the window and allow instant, fluid attacks on them at any time, including damage to counselors

Needs

- A buff to Jason's melee system would probably help calm the worries of any nerf to shift grab

- Remove Jason's icon from the map

- Allow Jason to change his loadout of powers, would help add more strategy for Jason

So probably a 6.

Jason has been nerfed way too hard and the game now feels like a PvP arena game rather than a sandbox / emergent gameplay slasher sim - this is exactly how I feared the game would go with some people crying about how Jason is overpowered. It was easy enough to escape as a counseller before the nerfs - okay sometimes you get a run of bad luck and just die, but it's a survival horror game and I always go into it expecting to die, but being chuffed I survived/escaped if I did so.

Since this patch Jason feels extremely weak to the point of no longer being a threat when playing as a counsellor / not fun when playing as Jason. There have been three huge nerfs to him (whether to his skills or buffing the counsellors' ability to complete objectives), where in my opinion just one of the three would have been enough. I don't mind any of them in a vacuum, but all three together has spoiled the game.

I have voted a '3', as Fox is awesome and I love the new collectables / paid for DLC. Having more options is always great, as long as the core game is enjoyable.

1 person likes this

Just now, Jason iz 2 stronk said:

Jason has been nerfed way too hard and the game now feels like a PvP arena game rather than a sandbox / emergent gameplay slasher sim - this is exactly how I feared the game would go with some people crying about how Jason is overpowered. It was easy enough to escape as a counseller before the nerfs - okay sometimes you get a run of bad luck and just die, but it's a survival horror game and I always go into it expecting to die, but being chuffed I survived/escaped if I did so.

Since this patch Jason feels extremely weak to the point of no longer being a threat when playing as a counsellor / not fun when playing as Jason. There have been three huge nerfs to him (whether to his skills or buffing the counsellors' ability to complete objectives), where in my opinion just one of the three would have been enough. I don't mind any of them in a vacuum, but all three together has spoiled the game.

It could be fun to buff Jason's melee to give counselors more of a chance to fight. When he enters in crippled state, grab him!

I like the addition of characters and kills, but like many have said Jason's grab range nerf is really upsetting :( I never thought it was overpowered to begin with, and people can always strafe running in a "Z" when Jason is shifting and grabbing.

2 minutes ago, megaweenieman said:

I like the addition of characters and kills, but like many have said Jason's grab range nerf is really upsetting :( I never thought it was overpowered to begin with, and people can always strafe running in a "Z" when Jason is shifting and grabbing.

We could buff his melee to give more chance for counselors to fight

I really dislike the nerf to Jason's grab.

Fox is great. Love having her in the game.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Ste_Wolf said:

I really dislike the nerf to Jason's grab.

They could buff Jason's melee to give more counselors more of a chance to fight.

The grab range was needed a nerf, but the lag barely makes it changed anyways.

The traps should go back to normal, people should have to risk 2-3 knives to escape.

Tommy Jarvis was a great change.

Sucker Punch is OP with frying pan, good for someone who saves people, it has mad durability.  Run man at arms + sucker punch + Chad and you're a hero.

1 person likes this

I never had a problem with his grab to begin with. Sure sometimes it felt like you got screwed but people seem to forget Jason is supposed to be the powerful one. It's supposed to be rare to survive/escape. 

Traps are even less of a threat now. They've already been just an alarm system for the last few months. A character shouldn't just go around stepping in traps only to just heal themselves and be back to basically normal.

Ill reserve judgment on the Tommy changes to see if people actually play him differently. No point in grabbing him now though. I'm sure people will call me a slasher.

8 minutes ago, Theiceman105 said:

Sucker Punch is OP with frying pan, good for someone who saves people, it has mad durability.  Run man at arms + sucker punch + Chad and you're a hero.

You're such a bad person!

My likes so far:

The DLC Halloween outfits

The Part IV DLC kills (1 is long, 1 is short and 1 is in between)

Fox

Dislikes:

Trap placement change 

Items showing on map

Combination of both had led to cops being called in first 3 matches played

Undecided:

Jarvis (have not experienced him yet)

Grap distance didn’t seem that different so far

Still fun, but seems that once everyone picks up on the update, escaping should be a lot easier.

Update: After playing more, I dislike the grab nerf. Just way too difficult to grab a counselor that is standing right next to you. 

Also seems like a lot of matches going close to 20 minutes, just because players want to stay and fight (troll) Jason now instead of escaping. 

Edited by Grape
Updated impressions on new patch

The problem is not that they nerfed the traps or the grab. Or added markers for gas etc. Or nerfed doors smashing.

It is that they did nothing to compensate for this. This makes Jason weaker.

They could have shorten the cool down period on shift or reduced number of pocket knifes in play or something else so Jason would get a buff on some other aspect.

2 people like this

They need to fix the glitch of Jason's kill count being way more than it should be. I have seen sessions end saying he killed 9 or 10 out of 8 counselors. That's even when people have escaped.

Just now, Ste_Wolf said:

They need to fix the glitch of Jason's kill count being way more than it should be. I have seen sessions end saying he killed 9 or 10 out of 8 counselors. That's even when people have escaped.

Wrong thread; this is feedback for the gameplay changes rather than glitches. Glitches are addressed in this thread: 

Ok, first time posting something hateful, i REALLY hate the grab changes, i don't want to sound cocky or something but i was on pc, one of the best Jasons that there was, no cheap tactic neither, but OMG, i got my ass handed to some russians, 4 Chads, it's impossible to grab them and if you by some reason get to grab someone they have knifes, firecrackers and shotguns, geez, i encountered that before but it was doable, part 4 has a puny weapon range, you can't hit people and now you can't grab, what's the point, the ra** you get in a small map is incredible, i never got so rekted, even if i found a coordinated group of people, 6/8 killed, one runned by the car and the other i got lucky, don't care about anything else but if you can't kill then what's the point?

2 people like this

Fixing the traps was the right call. I'm sure the whining about it quiets down once people develop a sense of spacial awareness and learn to track the counselors without them being handed over to them. As Jason, I've been playing with singular traps from day one and I still get 8/8 result in just about every game. Counselor gameplay is bound to get more interesting as you have to choose what to sacrifice, a knife or your location. If you played against a stacker, the choice was already made for you and the thrilling element of decision making was completely dismissed. 
As for the grab nerf, I didn't notice any difference as a counselor but I did notice it as Jason. It didn't seem crippling at all, but I do admit I need to play a few more rounds before making a final judgement. I didn't think it was an issue that needed to be fixed in the first place, though. All that being said, I don't think either of these changes threaten the over all balance.

However, I do think there's another change that may have a great impact on the balance for the worse. It's the counselors' new ability to see the discovered parts on the map. The single most powerful weapon against Jason has always been good communication. Now the benefits of communication (a large portion, at least) are handed to counselors even without team work. Singular parts will become new targets for the counselors and Jason has to focus on those as well to protect the objectives. He has to be everywhere at once as the counselors' progress can't be slowed down by creating uncertainty anymore.
I'm pretty sure the change will also have a negative, dulling effect on the counselor gameplay as well. Not only is the thrill of desperate searching gone but the change also pushes for individualism. Team work can be avoided even further. 
I do recognize the bright sides of the change, too. Trolling is made harder and the majority of the players will finally figure out stuff respawns when taken out of the map. Stalk is given new dimensions: if a counselor dies with a vital part inside a building, hit stalk and wait for the next counselor to come pick up the part and give them a good jump-scare.  Guess we just have to wait a little longer to see which side, the good or the bad, out-weights the other. I guess the same goes for Tommy changes. They look nice on paper but we'll see if people actually change the way they play him.

Finally, I guess I'm happy with Fox. The character looks and sounds great. Stat wise, she's actually useful but basically just a female Adam. I hope we are done with repair characters now. I certainly wouldn't mind getting more speed/luck based characters.

Oh, and the new environmental kills are very nice!

I don't like the grap distance nerf, because before the patch the only way to catch a Vanessa or bugzy was to shift grap them. Now you can't do that, even if the counselor is right in front of me I still miss.

I think it would better if you guys Changed it to what it was.

The new patch overall was great, but I just feel like the grap distance didn't need to be changed.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Rev_Bartholomew said:

I don't like the grap distance nerf, because before the patch the only way to catch a Vanessa or bugzy was to shift grap them. Now you can't do that, even if the counselor is right in front of me I still miss.

I think it would better if you guys Changed it to what it was.

The new patch overall was great, but I just feel like the grap distance didn't need to be changed.

What about making him attack faster or some buffs to melee? It would make weapon strengths Jasons more efficient and give a chance for counselors to struggle before they get killed.

Sounds ok. Three main problems though. 

1. Trapping as Jason. Once one trap is sprung, I cant set another one in its place (same spot, or" too close") Thats just wrong. 

2. Dropped items should not be shown on map. Makes things easy for skilled counselors. Not to mention unrealistic and takes alot away from basic teamplay.

3. Grabbing as Jason is at times just right. Sometimes though Jason misses the grab while he is definetly at proximity. Bad ajustment! 

Thats my two cents on the subject, and they should be changed back to as they were. What do others think?

2 people like this

Nerfing Jason grab but buffing his melee doesn't even make sense the only people that are for that are fast councelers because they know they can't be caught so yeah let's just buff his melee makes no sense at all he still won't be able to catch you and this isn't a Jason just sucks issue either most great jason's are not liking these changes. We don't go for 5/8 kills we want 8/8 and trying to get us lower then that is not cool.

2 people like this

Love Fox and the new kills, I hate the grab Nerf because counselors can easily escape even within range and reach, also hate the trap spacing.