Anonymous

You can't tripple trap anymore.

5 minutes ago, Vassago said:

I had my worst jason game in ages. Massive jason nerfs. I mean j7s 4 hit door smash gone, ok i can live with that. His grab nerfed...well fuck but ok. Oh and erm we've tampered with your only 3 traps. Well god dam a jason like 7 is certainly feeling all of this now. 

Correct. Just as I thought, the doors requiring less hits last patch was not intentional. So all the people thinking J7 got a buff are in for disappointment as door hits are back to what they were. As no -Traps Jason can even block off 1 objective now to make things easier, all of them but especially J7 just got screwed over. 

Because they aren't lethal. With everyone running medic or hypochondriac all they have to do is run through a trap, spray and go find another. They've been reduced to being a simple alarm system.

4 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Correct. Just as I thought, the doors requiring less hits last patch was not intentional. So all the people thinking J7 got a buff are in for disappointment as door hits are back to what they were. As no -Traps Jason can even block off 1 objective now to make things easier, all of them but especially J7 just got screwed over. 

As someone who mains a -Trap Jason I have had no difficulty hounding objectives. One trap should suffice and it usually works for me. I disagree that my favorite Jason has been screwed over. To each their own, though. ✌?

10 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Traps are lethal enough as-is. There's no reason for triple trapping. I don't get people who feel like they have to cover an area entirely in traps, like why not just outright destroy objectives if people want to win so goddamn bad? 

It's not about lethality it's about control. Read my previous posts for better understanding of multi-trapping. Everyone also seems to be focusing on triple trapping but not even double-trapping is possible. Admit it, you all double-trapped at least now and then, and I'm not inclined to believe otherwise. 

Also, if I'm Jason, why shouldn't I try to win or do my best? There's nothing wrong with that, whether I'm playing as Jason or counselor.

Just now, Tommy86 said:

It's not about lethality it's about control. Read my previous posts for better understanding of multi-trapping. Everyone also seems to be focusing on triple trapping but not even double-trapping is possible. Admit it, you all double-trapped at least now and then, and I'm not inclined to believe otherwise. 

Also, if I'm Jason, why shouldn't I try to be win or do my best? There's nothing wrong with that. 

I don't waste traps like that, I put my traps in places counselors don't expect for maximum impact. There's nothing wrong with trying to win but if stonewalling people from playing the game is the only way to win then the game itself is fucked up. If you are Jason and don't do things like continuously patrol objectives, shut off the lights, and ensure all counselors have high fear then you are just using traps as a crutch and you suck as Jason. 

7 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I don't waste traps like that, I put my traps in places counselors don't expect for maximum impact. There's nothing wrong with trying to win but if stonewalling people from playing the game is the only way to win then the game itself is fucked up. If you are Jason and don't do things like continuously patrol objectives, shut off the lights, and ensure all counselors have high fear then you are just using traps as a crutch and you suck as Jason. 

I do all of the things you mentioned as well as things you haven't mentioned, and it didn't stop me from still needing to multitrap against aggressive teams. Are you guys all up against new players on a constant basis? No groups tanking or contesting objectives? No counselors working together? 

Also the whole idea of placing traps in places counselors wouldn't expect is a potential waste because it's never guaranteed and accomplishes nothing if they have a medspray, which they almost always do. So you damaged the counselor and by the time you Morph they already healed and ran off. That trap could've at least defended an objective but you chose to use it based on the hope that they will step in it and that they have no medspray, and that no teammate will heal them. That's 3 variables right there. Why would I make use of this tactic when traps at objectives are a guaranteed threat? 

• Like 1

I've played against aggressive and smart teams. They all crumble when you melee them. Not to mention, they all stick together so it isn't like even if they're doing something like repairing the phone you can't just break the box. 

Even if they manage to fix the phone or the car, you can still kill them. Triple trapping is just a complete waste of traps anyhow, using them offensively is far better especially when they're trying to fight you over something like trying to start the car. 

12 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I've played against aggressive and smart teams. They all crumble when you melee them. Not to mention, they all stick together so it isn't like even if they're doing something like repairing the phone you can't just break the box. 

Even if they manage to fix the phone or the car, you can still kill them. Triple trapping is just a complete waste of traps anyhow, using them offensively is far better especially when they're trying to fight you over something like trying to start the car. 

That's nice you have success against aggressive teams. But based on what you said I have my doubts about how smart they are if they're all in one place and not co-ordinating in different locations. Smart counselors use objectives to pressure Jason by repairing 2 or more at once. As Jason cannot be in more than one place then he must rely on traps for defense. For something like phone box, a measly 1 trap is not reliable defense.

If they manage to fix the phone or car then your chances of killing them just dropped unless they are new players. While you are defending the phone against counselors because traps can't do the job for you, a car can easily be fixed in that time, and you can't afford to morph to it without losing the phone box. Car gets started, that becomes priority, call gets made. Now you have 2 completed objectives to chase. It's basic pressure and your chances are certainly worse now. 

Again with the triple-trapping. You guys do realise you can't even double-trap anymore right? Or was that too OP for you as well?

One of Jason's weakness is the he cannot be everywhere at once. Well coordinate teams will fix multiple objectives at the same time. This is where Jason can lose it.

If you are not placing your traps at key objectives and decides to place them elsewhere thinking your some creative guru, you will get destroyed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

J7 was actually kind of decent being able to destroy doors in 4 hits. It still doesn't fix the problems with his shift and traps. I had one game where the 4 seater was started and escaped before the Rage meter got even halfway full. Maybe they should buff his Rage meter gain rate.

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

J7 was actually kind of decent being able to destroy doors in 4 hits. It still doesn't fix the problems with his shift and traps. I had one game where the 4 seater was started and escaped before the Rage meter got even halfway full. Maybe they should buff his Rage meter gain rate.

Agree, 4 door hits + fast weapon speed gave him a semi-Destruction stat which helped him a bit. Now and then I'd have a good match with him and I'd forget just how bad he is, until I'd play against a good team again and get a hard reality check. He is simply not viable against anyone other than new to average counselors, unless you get lucky with objectives close together and a boat spawn.

Buffing Rage meter gain or virtually anything worthwhile at this point is necessary, especially with the new Traps change. 

Although you can't stack traps you can still place traps close enough together so that they're both a threat to the counselor and for those saying you can't replace a trap that has been triggered, wrong. I don't record any of my gameplay so unfortunately I don't have video proof but I had no issues replacing a trap at the phone box after 2 were set off. I even asked the player if he intentionally stepped in them both to tank, was told no that he set off the one closest to the phone box intentionally in order to repair and when he finished repairing and stood up the animation pretty much put him in the 2nd trap.

I'd not have a problem with this change if the game wasn't so wonky and full of holes that can be exploited... I mean, the whole triple-trap of the phonebox originated due to an rampant exploit where you could repair the box without triggering the traps by bugging out the interaction with the box, either with the help of a second counselor (which also worked on cars and anything else) or solo if you knew how.

It's funny that so many people think it's been done because the people that do it are bad... while it's actually been done because there are so many scrubs that have to exploit to be successful, go figure.

Luckily it's pretty easy to tell if someone doesn't know what they are talking about and one can just ignore them. Still good for some laughs though. Especially when those people write whole essays :lol:

• Like 1

Here's some ideas for trapping in the new patch:

At phone houses, trap the phone box once, break all the windows, place one trap at the window nearest to the phone, then put the remainder at either one of the cars(if you are a -Traps Jason) and/or the door(s) to the phone house. That way, they will be forced to go through broken windows and damage themselves to get to the phone. If you are part 2 Jason with some traps left over, place them where you wish or keep them as "reloads" for the objectives.

The space between traps is still close enough that if you had to do something like place 2 at a doorway side-by-side to catch someone, you could still do it.

1 hour ago, PartVI_legend said:

If they want to keep the trap system this way then they should make the phone unusable once the power box is destroyed.

3 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Phones have their own power lines.

Landlines in the 80s didn't require an external power source. If the power went out in a storm, you still had the ability to call.

On 28/10/2017 at 1:14 AM, pRaX said:

I'd not have a problem with this change if the game wasn't so wonky and full of holes that can be exploited... I mean, the whole triple-trap of the phonebox originated due to an rampant exploit where you could repair the box without triggering the traps by bugging out the interaction with the box, either with the help of a second counselor (which also worked on cars and anything else) or solo if you knew how.

It also originated because Thick Skin + Medspray perks enabled reliable tanking of traps. Still does, and in the case of the phone box you only need to tank one now. At least before, multi-trapping discouraged this tactic as a single counselor might not be able to tank all of them without being crippled or dead.

Pocket knives aren't the primary response  to traps because they are both harder to come by and are essentially a 2nd life for counselors if they are grabbed. With that said, as only one trap needs to be disabled now for access, pocket knives are more viable than they were for this purpose as multi-trapping also discouraged using one. Why waste a pocket knife on a trap if you don't have enough to silently disable them all?

With the latest patch it means the chances of Jason even being alerted to an objective are lower, and tanking is even easier than it was. Thus he has to put more effort into constantly checking and defending each one, and must play much more efficiently. Counselors are simply able to pressure Jason more now.

On 27/10/2017 at 10:44 PM, hu_soldier13 said:

Although you can't stack traps you can still place traps close enough together so that they're both a threat to the counselor and for those saying you can't replace a trap that has been triggered, wrong. I don't record any of my gameplay so unfortunately I don't have video proof but I had no issues replacing a trap at the phone box after 2 were set off. I even asked the player if he intentionally stepped in them both to tank, was told no that he set off the one closest to the phone box intentionally in order to repair and when he finished repairing and stood up the animation pretty much put him in the 2nd trap.

If this is indeed true then it means that although distance was increased between them, trap stacking (placing traps on top of each other) is still possible somehow. Because if the animation put the player automatically in the 2nd trap then this is the trap stacking exploit I've mentioned before, whether it is done intentionally or unintentionally.

It's actually quite amusing if this is true because I believe the reason why the traps distance was adjusted was primarily to prevent chain stunning counselors with traps. Otherwise there was nothing wrong with more defense at an objective, where a counselor would not fall automatically from one trap into the other but simply be required to disengage them all for access.

Personally I have not been able to even double-trap in a way that can't be sidestepped, and not had much luck with replacing traps either, as the previous trap that was disengaged prevents easy placement of a new one. But I need more playtime to see whether there's a reliable way to do it.

On 28/10/2017 at 1:49 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

At phone houses, trap the phone box once, break all the windows, place one trap at the window nearest to the phone, then put the remainder at either one of the cars(if you are a -Traps Jason) and/or the door(s) to the phone house. That way, they will be forced to go through broken windows and damage themselves to get to the phone. If you are part 2 Jason with some traps left over, place them where you wish or keep them as "reloads" for the objectives.

Providing there is a window reasonably close to the phone box, it might work to place one at it. This is however counting on a player to ignore an easily visible trap. It is also counting on them to not have any medspray, which if they are going for the phone at all then they likely do have one, as they were also likely going to just tank the trap. Broken windows are also less of a threat for anyone with a decent Thick Skin such as myself. It depends on which cabin the phone box is actually at, but I'd say that any traps at windows or doors are a potential waste as there's usually other entrances/exits and a counselor has to be fairly mindless to run directly into a trap. If I'm going for the phone box, you can bet I will notice any traps around the cabin itself, and remember not to run or climb into those areas.

6 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

Providing there is a window reasonably close to the phone box, it might work to place one at it. This is however counting on a player to ignore an easily visible trap. It is also counting on them to not have any medspray, which if they are going for the phone at all then they likely do have one, as they were also likely going to just tank the trap. Broken windows are also less of a threat for anyone with a decent Thick Skin such as myself. It depends on which cabin the phone box is actually at, but I'd say that any traps at windows or doors are a potential waste as there's usually other entrances/exits and a counselor has to be fairly mindless to run directly into a trap. If I'm going for the phone box, you can bet I will notice any traps around the cabin itself, and remember not to run or climb into those areas.

There is a chance that they could exit the cabin through that window without having first seen that trap. If they do see it, then they have to spend the extra time to run to the other side of the cabin to get in.

13 hours ago, PartVI_legend said:

If they want to keep the trap system this way then they should make the phone unusable once the power box is destroyed.

no. phone works even when power is out usually. also i really don´t see why it is so hard to play without stacking. i never used it and still could deny the cops most of the time.

adapt. improvise. overcome. it´s really not hard. just different.

5 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

There is a chance that they could exit the cabin through that window without having first seen that trap. If they do see it, then they have to spend the extra time to run to the other side of the cabin to get in.

Like I said it could work, but I don't see it reliably working since it's highly dependent on the phone box spawn and the counselor player. I think there's too many variables for it to be a reliable strategy. Might be worth a shot if you're J2 with some traps to spare, but otherwise I think it's better to place traps where they will definitely count.