Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westwarren

part dropping patch note

81 posts in this topic

• Repair parts that have been dropped will now immediately show up as an icon on all available Counselor maps. These icons will not appear on items that have not yet been picked up or on items currently being held. Jason is unable to see these icons on his map. If a Counselor escapes with a repair part or dies with it in the water, the item will respawn somewhere else on the map with an icon accompanying it.

"It was frustrating in the later stages of a match for Counselors when repair parts were taken from their spawns and lost in a large map. Being able to locate your win condition is an important part of the game and this QoL change should help alleviate some issues"

ive been gone for a while and haven't touched the game for a long time given the disappointment ive had with the game....but the patch note is telling me the game is heading in the right direction, I'm planning on returning and playing the game

1 person likes this

This is an awful change.

It makes the game less survival horror and way more arcadey. Non-repair characters can just pick up and drop an item to mark it. Jason no longer gets rewarded for intercepting a part carrying player in the woods. There's no rush of finding items on corpses - instead, everyone knows where everything is at all times.

This completely subverts one of the best aspects of the game - the proximity communication system. You now have virtually perfect information at all times about your win conditions.

I'd put money on this being the next window breaking controversy, where community uproar gets it reverted next patch.

Rather than play more, I can see this wrecking all the tension in the game for me.

If you have to do something, mark corpses. That way people at least still have to search. The game's all about looting and searching. This completely kills that aspect.

10 people like this

2 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

This is an awful change.

It makes the game less survival horror and way more arcadey. Non-repair characters can just pick up and drop an item to mark it. Jason no longer gets rewarded for intercepting a part carrying player in the woods. There's no rush of finding items on corpses - instead, everyone knows where everything is at all times.

This completely subverts one of the best aspects of the game - the proximity communication system. You now have virtually perfect information at all times about your win conditions.

I'd put money on this being the next window breaking controversy, where community uproar gets it reverted next patch.

Rather than play more, I can see this wrecking all the tension in the game for me.

True, it should only show if someone escapes with it.

1 minute ago, ZooMalfunction said:

This is an awful change.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean I get why it happened, but I feel it takes away some of the challenge when counselors don't really need any buffs. In my opinion at least.

4 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

This is an awful change.

not really, maining as a counselor there were so many games where you could not escape because some one ran off with the part and died and you are obviously not going to be able to complete the objective 

while this is not exactly what I wanted because I would rather see death markers rather than markers for parts, at least now you'd have a chance of finding the part 

Not a fan of this change. It makes it even less of an incentive to work with others. To me its youre job to talk with one another or know and discover where things are. This combined with the grab change, even though Im for that one, makes it too easy for counselors

2 minutes ago, ThePunkPirate said:

Not a fan of this change. It makes it even less of an incentive to work with others. To me its youre job to talk with one another or know and discover where things are. This combined with the grab change, even though Im for that one, makes it too easy for counselors

the issue is not everyone talks in game, so in the event that you get into a game where no one has a mic, you'd at least have a chance 

I think it sounds great in theory. I have yet to see it in game (updating now). I do like the idea of just being able to pick up a gas can and then setting it back down, especially if I'm with a character that isn't good at running or repair. Too many times I've had a flare gun, seen a gas can, not had a walkie yet, and decided to pick it up and make for the car, only to die halfway there. 

1 person likes this

This takes away one troll tactic of dropping parts in the woods, but not in locked inaccessible areas.  Counselors should be able to unlock those doors from the outside.  This also prevents people who actually want to fix things from strategically temporarily hiding parts until they find the other one to prevent randoms with their own agendas from running off by themselves or with their friends.

18 minutes ago, westwarren said:

not really, maining as a counselor there were so many games where you could not escape because some one ran off with the part and died and you are obviously not going to be able to complete the objective 

That's fine. Jason wins because the team were either cowardly or didn't co-operate.

That's what makes the game great. It's the essence of survival horror. The experience of unreliable players and the need to rally a team to survive.

Now there's no need to even talk. It doesn't even stop trolls as they can just hold onto the part. It's not like their friend Jason will kill them for it.

It's awful.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

That's fine. Jason wins because the team were either cowardly or didn't co-operate.

That's what makes the game great. It's the essence of survival horror. The experience of unreliable players and the need to rally a team to survive.

Now there's no need to even talk.

It's awful.

no, now its better because there is more flexibility now, the reason why i left F13 was because the game was either play with friends, or just be frustrated solo

now with these kind of changes the game can actually be enjoyable in solo games

survival horror is only scary when the element of a possible escape is present, with no chance at escape you lose all suspense and it just becomes stale and annoying

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, westwarren said:

no, now its better because there is more flexibility now, the reason why i left F13 was because the game was either play with friends, or just be frustrated solo

survival horror is only scary when the element of a possible escape is present, whats scary about being the last few alive with no idea where anything is?, or absolutely no way of any of surviving. it ABSOLUTELY loses the suspense entirely and the game ends up being a glorified hide and seek

I kinda agree with this. I'm more scared of Jason finding me when I know I have all the pieces to escape. I'm on the edge cause I actually have hopes of escaping. If I know people died in the woods with all the items I'm not too confident or scared of Jason. I'll just kind accept it.

1 person likes this

Amazing new feature.

1 person likes this

Just now, TangledHelix said:

I kinda agree with this. I'm more scared of Jason finding me when I know I have all the pieces to escape. I'm on the edge cause I actually have hopes of escaping. If I know people died in the woods with all the items I'm not too confident or scared of Jason. I'll just kind accept it.

EXACTLY, no hope = no suspense

13 minutes ago, westwarren said:

survival horror is only scary when the element of a possible escape is present, whats scary about being the last few alive with no idea where anything is?, or absolutely no way of any of surviving. it loses the suspense entirely and it becomes the inevitable run around till you lose stamina with no real direction

THIS.  THIS is what the people who love to play Jason (and why we have so many immediate quitters as they only want to play the favored side - Jason) aren't getting.  There has to be HOPE of survival.  Feel that you have a CHANCE to live.  So many games even with mics we can't find anything.  On someone's body somewhere.  I'd prefer a body marker myself, but some balance being restored to the counselor side was sorely needed.  The player base is shrinking.  People play counselors 80-90% of the time.  Thus, logically, you need to feel like you have a chance when playing the side you play 80-90% of the time.   

"And no, I don't care if solo players have a worse time than team players. The game isn't geared to you and shouldn't be watered down to cater to them."

The game must be geared for balance so you think you have a chance to survive.  The game is not a hopelessness generator until you're Jason.  Bad game design and will result in game dying or people playing with bot counselors.  

"The majority of people having trouble surviving just need to get better at the game instead of the game dumbing down for them"

Ever notice how the Jason lovers never have a comeback argument for the simple logic of needing some game balance, needing to have hope that one has a chance to live.   

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, westwarren said:

survival horror is only scary when the element of a possible escape is present, with no chance at escape you lose all suspense and it just becomes stale and annoying

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the point of survival horror.

And no, I don't care if solo players have a worse time than team players. The game isn't geared to you and shouldn't be watered down to cater to them.

The majority of people having trouble surviving just need to get better at the game instead of the game dumbing down for them.

This hurts 3 trap Jasons more. One of the advantages for them is that if you could kill  at least half of them, the other half will likely have trouble finding the rest of the parts because you killed several people in the woods with parts on them. 3 trap Jasons can barely control the map and this is a major nerf to them.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the point of survival horror.

And no, I don't care if solo players have a worse time than team players. The game isn't geared to you and shouldn't be watered down to cater to them.

well I think it should be

why would you want to play a game where you have to set up and play with 7 friends just to enjoy or have a shot at surviving?

and for your "get good" argument, no matter how good you are, if your team mates don't have a mic or are shit at the game, you're most likely not going to make it, the game is basically luck based at this point

New patch in a few words:Counselors get buffed,Jason gets nerfed.Anyway,that is a bad change indeed.If someone drops the item in the middle of the woods team gets fucked up(previously i mean).Which is as it is supposed to be in a game that is teamwork based.A middle solution that I think would make everyone happy would be map showing dead bodies instead of items.Now,I see the item in the map,i go grab it,job done.In the solution i mentioned,the item is probably next to a body but i still have to go search all the bodies to find it,and also covers the first thing i mentioned,in case someone drops it on purpose.

5 people like this

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Master said:

.A middle solution that I think would make everyone happy would be map showing dead bodies instead of items

I agree, death markers a better solution rather than marking parts

people are just going to grab and drop and get a free mark on the item, I can foresee a lot of people doing that

This change was sorely needed for those of us that play solo/pub games.

Allow the option for icons to be disabled in private matches but they should stay for public matches. 

5 people like this

1 minute ago, ChadFace said:

This change was sorely needed for those of us that play solo/pub games.

Allow the option for icons to be disabled in private matches but they should stay for public matches. 

yep

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ZooMalfunction said:

This is an awful change.

If you have to do something, mark corpses. That way people at least still have to search. The game's all about looting and searching. This completely kills that aspect.

Don't worry. People still ignore the parts, even when they're marked on the map.

Idiots.

1 person likes this

It would be nice if Private matches had settings to turn on/off things like item icons.  I personally think they are great in an all-solo lobby, where there is little coordination, but are terrible in a private match of experienced players.  

I just wish we had a lot more control of how we want to play the game together in a Private match.