Beetlejuice91

Things that never made sense in horror films

Has anyone seen things in horror films they watch that didn't make sense? There's always one example to me that sticks out.

I'm sure people have seen the Tales from the Crypt movies. I have seen that the Blood Key used in Demon Knight was supposed to be used in all of the movies. The survivor of Demon Knight, Jeryline, has the key at the end and is the new guardian. We see the key again in Bordello of Blood when Vincent uses it against Lilith after she is resurrected to control her. He mentions to one of his traveling companions if he's ever seen the movies implying that the events of Demon Knight was a real film and it took place. Vincent later destroys the key to show loyalty to Lilith. If the Key was destroyed, would that also mean the demons lose the battle to get the Key and God won? Or was it just an Easter Egg?

I loves me some Nightmare on Elm Street but I never understood the "rules" for how Freddy can get to you.

Part 1-3 established that your fear is what gives him the strength to kill you.

Part 4-5 established that only the Elm Street children were vulnerable to Freddy.

Part 6 established that he can only get you if you live in Springwood.

FvJ went back to the fear concept like 1-3.

I guess I can accept all if those rules at once but...it's always been a little eyebrow raising for me.

@Deeify I can’t remember well enough to have the discussion I wish I could but if 1-3 were fear based or maybe not even fear as much as belief then some of the characters from Dream Warriors Dream Child or whatever may have become targets because of there proximity to either Nancy or someone else who believed in Freddy.  Again I’m sorry it been awhile for all of them so I may be more of base than I recall.

About the Elm and Springwood thing it still kind of fits his vengeance was on those who killed him and those who believed in him would no doubt be from that community.

27 minutes ago, Deeify said:

Part 1-3 established that your fear is what gives him the strength to kill you.

Part 4-5 established that only the Elm Street children were vulnerable to Freddy.

Part 6 established that he can only get you if you live in Springwood.

FvJ went back to the fear concept like 1-3.

Parts 1 through 3 were the children of the parents who murdered him. Part 4 he ran out of them, and needed Lisa Wilcox's character Alice, who inherited that dream power, to bring him more victims. She was given the curse on accident because she was pulled into the dream and given the power by Tristen. Part 5 continues that mythology.

Then part 6 happened, and it didn't make any sense to me. Same with FvJ. I feel like part 6 and FvJ occupy the same sphere as Fridays 9 and 10. Technically canon, but I can't really bring myself to think of them that way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UprightChair said:

@Deeify I can’t remember well enough to have the discussion I wish I could but if 1-3 were fear based or maybe not even fear as much as belief then some of the characters from Dream Warriors Dream Child or whatever may have become targets because of there proximity to either Nancy or someone else who believed in Freddy.  Again I’m sorry it been awhile for all of them so I may be more of base than I recall.

About the Elm and Springwood thing it still kind of fits his vengeance was on those who killed him and those who believed in him would no doubt be from that community.

That's what I kind if love about the NOES series is it tends to have a bit more to it than most.  Part 4-5 had Alice with the ability to pull people into her dreams which was the only way Freddy could get victims, through her.  I always loved that concept for some reason but also the more you fear Freddy the more power he has over you.

5 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Parts 1 through 3 were the children of the parents who murdered him. Part 4 he ran out of them, and needed Lisa Wilcox's character Alice, who inherited that dream power, to bring him more victims. She was given the curse on accident because she was pulled into the dream and given the power by Tristen. Part 5 continues that mythology.

Then part 6 happened, and it didn't make any sense to me. Same with FvJ. I feel like part 6 and FvJ occupy the same sphere as Fridays 9 and 10. Technically canon, but I can't really bring myself to think of them that way.

I still see FvJ as canon, Freddy's Dead loosely...that one was like Jason Goes to Hell, they just made up too many new rules that made no sense and was unneeded.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Deeify said:

I still see FvJ as canon, Freddy's Dead loosely...that one was like Jason Goes to Hell, they just made up too many new rules that made no sense and was unneeded.

Agreed. 

Parts 1-5 mostly make sense. Revenge was the gateway, fear gave him the power. Part 3 lacks a bit of logic since Nancy would have been tormented in her dreams, but Freddy couldn't actually hurt her because she didn't fear him. So, she could have taught the kids that, but I guess decided to try and end things once and for all...and don't get me started on her death, she was way too smart for that stupidity.

4 and 5 followed the same logic. Alice's "dream warrior" power was that she could absorb others, making her the "dream master"....but she feared Freddy and just about everything until the end of the movie, serving her friends to him without any chance of survival for them. In part 5, her fear returned by graduating and her baby dreaming, knowing she had no desire to be a mom...double whammy of fear as well as fear that Freddy will kill her friends again and hurt her baby. 

Freddy can come around without you knowing who he is. Gives you a harmless bad dream, you obsess over the dream until you give them the strength he needs to kill you. Which ties part 2 in, since Mark had nothing to do with the revenge, but was afraid of being gay and had nightmares until he found out who was in his dreams through Nancy's diary. Freddy's real world appearance to all the kids was a shortcut to get to them. FvJ follows that logic with Jason.

Freddy's Dead has no logic and every print should be burned. 

• Like 1