Sweenmasheen

Free for all, or so I thought

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, first time poster here. I have been a frequent visitor to the forums here since I found out about them which was a few months ago. I didnt get the game at launch but maybe the week after or very close to that. I never really played online games at all until this game , just wasnt interested. I had followed the production of this game since kickstarter and when I read that it was online multiplayer only, I was super bummed and decided I probably wasnt going to purchase it due to that fact. Still followed the progress and was always impressed with the idea and hoped for the best. Fast forward to launch day, I'm watching vids, reading reviews , hearing great things. I decided for $40 , it'd be worth the risk even if i didnt enjoy the experience. Minutes into my first actual match, my mind was blown. I couldnt believe how much fun I was having. So with that being said, I dont get to play as much as I would like.I might get 5-6 hours in a week on a good week. 2 jobs+ 2  young kids = not a lot of gaming time .So last weekend , with it being double xp weekend and all, i managed to level up a whopping 4 levels to bring me to level 28, I'm telling ya , I dont get to play as much as I want. 

 So like I say, I've been playing since close to launch day but not a ton. Been having fun since the first game I played. It wasnt until I started checking out the forums that I realized there were so many "unspoken rules". Now I'm not talking about rage quitters or shit talkers, or Jason helpers or glitch exploiters. I mean, stuff like Jason kills. Quick kills are cheap slower kill animations are better. Slashing is frowned upon. Spending too much time on one counselor is bad and people hate it. " Try-hard Jasons" are a thing. I dont mean to sound totally ignorant, but these are things that I absolutely never thought about. I very much looked at it as a free for all , anything goes type game, that mentality began night one for me. I never got upset when I would get killed in any fashion unless it was "friendly fire". The point of the game for Jason is to kill , as many and as quickly as possible , or at least that was my opinion, and it pretty much still is. I dont get upset at Jason , like ever. Now counselors on the other hand, those are the bastards that piss me off. But once again, I dont get upset with them if I am Jason, only if I too am a counselor. As far as I'm concerned the gloves are off for opposing teams. I realize now, that for the most part my opinion is in the minority. I know it hasnt been a picnic since launch day, but from what I've experienced that game has improved quite drastically. The core player base is strong and passionate. The game and its community keeps getting better and I am glad to be a part of it. I fricking love this game and Im excited for the future of it. I think the devs have nailed so many aspects of it and you can just tell its a passion project and its only getting better. 

 Well , I think I pretty well went off on a tangent there and may have missed most of the original point of my own post. Honestly I dont know if I can even accurately express it anyway but I'll try. Much like me, or at least me when I first started playing, people may not be doing dumb stuff intentionally. i dont mean dumb stuff like rookie mistakes, or whatever but more like the quick kills vs slower animations, and Slashing vs grabbing. I dont think everybody understands that there is very much an in-game etiquette that is more or less unspoken. I didnt ever think about how I was pissing people off when I played as Jason, not by me killing but how I did it. In my head, it was very much a free for all and it's not. It's just not.

Anyway, I've been here on the forums for a few months, but just signed up to be a bit more active. I love the game, I enjoy the community and I'm glad to be a part of it all. I just wish I had more time to play and get good. Im on ps4, gamer tag is sweenmasheen if anyone is interested in friending me. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Kill them Jason. Make them suffer like we did." - Pamela Voorhees 

Mama says kill them. Make her happy. She don't say how to kill them. Play Jason the way you want to.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Kill then Jason. But don’t slash them, honey. They’re kids, for God’s sake! But please hurt them for mommy.. but don’t chase one for too long. That upsets him and also me. Please! End this tonight, Jason! But not with the head punch. I hate that.” - said no Pamela ever 

12 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums! You should go make an introduction post.

I'd say you're right when you say anything goes between the counselors and Jason. You should be able to kill however you want. The people complaining about slashing Jason's are only complaining because they had a knife and would've had a chance of getting away. That's the whole reason slashing is a thing though so they have no right to be upset by it. I'd say with the quick kills you SHOULD use them a few times. It's a time/space efficient kill and it is totally necessary when taking back control of an objective. Just don't use it for all kills. That's boring and I'd say that makes you bad. Plus you get more xp for using a variety of kills.

The whole "tryhard Jason" is really just salty counselors that didn't want to die. Ignore them.

If you're looking for a group you should also head over to:

and get yourself an invite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say slashers that ONLY kill that way are boring. I will say that. Not ones that do it bc someone has a pocket knife or bc the 4 seater is almost started. I’m talking about specifically using P3 Jason with increased weapon damage to just slash kill everyone. It’s just boring to watch but hey, to each their own. Slashing is REALLY easy to avoid so it’s got its ups and downs. 

I personally love long grab kills and haven’t used the head punch except for the trophy that needed it. If I know all hope is lost for the counselors I will reserve only environmental kills for the last ones IF they are low composure characters that have a hard time breaking free. You can’t carry a Jenny half way across the woods to bang her head into a rock bc she’ll just break free and run away. Easy to catch but sometimes environment kills are scarce. I try to keep it fun and exciting. My favorites are Chads that I can walk through the woods with to just find the PERFECT tree to hang him on at the end of the match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums. You are free to play however you want.  Someone is gonna be pissed no matter what, right?   Play how YOU want to.  Don't worry bout the rest.  There are no rules unless you join a private match and the host says there are rules.  Enjoy the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather deal with slashers than boring ass jason quick kill spammers. If you're a seasoned player and you spam decap/asphyx I got no respect for you guys, i'm sorry. If you spam quick kills, you're a scrub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sweenmasheen said:

Hi all, first time poster here. I have been a frequent visitor to the forums here since I found out about them which was a few months ago. I didnt get the game at launch but maybe the week after or very close to that. I never really played online games at all until this game , just wasnt interested. I had followed the production of this game since kickstarter and when I read that it was online multiplayer only, I was super bummed and decided I probably wasnt going to purchase it due to that fact. Still followed the progress and was always impressed with the idea and hoped for the best. Fast forward to launch day, I'm watching vids, reading reviews , hearing great things. I decided for $40 , it'd be worth the risk even if i didnt enjoy the experience. Minutes into my first actual match, my mind was blown. I couldnt believe how much fun I was having. So with that being said, I dont get to play as much as I would like.I might get 5-6 hours in a week on a good week. 2 jobs+ 2  young kids = not a lot of gaming time .So last weekend , with it being double xp weekend and all, i managed to level up a whopping 4 levels to bring me to level 28, I'm telling ya , I dont get to play as much as I want. 

 So like I say, I've been playing since close to launch day but not a ton. Been having fun since the first game I played. It wasnt until I started checking out the forums that I realized there were so many "unspoken rules". Now I'm not talking about rage quitters or shit talkers, or Jason helpers or glitch exploiters. I mean, stuff like Jason kills. Quick kills are cheap slower kill animations are better. Slashing is frowned upon. Spending too much time on one counselor is bad and people hate it. " Try-hard Jasons" are a thing. I dont mean to sound totally ignorant, but these are things that I absolutely never thought about. I very much looked at it as a free for all , anything goes type game, that mentality began night one for me. I never got upset when I would get killed in any fashion unless it was "friendly fire". The point of the game for Jason is to kill , as many and as quickly as possible , or at least that was my opinion, and it pretty much still is. I dont get upset at Jason , like ever. Now counselors on the other hand, those are the bastards that piss me off. But once again, I dont get upset with them if I am Jason, only if I too am a counselor. As far as I'm concerned the gloves are off for opposing teams. I realize now, that for the most part my opinion is in the minority. I know it hasnt been a picnic since launch day, but from what I've experienced that game has improved quite drastically. The core player base is strong and passionate. The game and its community keeps getting better and I am glad to be a part of it. I fricking love this game and Im excited for the future of it. I think the devs have nailed so many aspects of it and you can just tell its a passion project and its only getting better. 

 Well , I think I pretty well went off on a tangent there and may have missed most of the original point of my own post. Honestly I dont know if I can even accurately express it anyway but I'll try. Much like me, or at least me when I first started playing, people may not be doing dumb stuff intentionally. i dont mean dumb stuff like rookie mistakes, or whatever but more like the quick kills vs slower animations, and Slashing vs grabbing. I dont think everybody understands that there is very much an in-game etiquette that is more or less unspoken. I didnt ever think about how I was pissing people off when I played as Jason, not by me killing but how I did it. In my head, it was very much a free for all and it's not. It's just not.

Anyway, I've been here on the forums for a few months, but just signed up to be a bit more active. I love the game, I enjoy the community and I'm glad to be a part of it all. I just wish I had more time to play and get good. Im on ps4, gamer tag is sweenmasheen if anyone is interested in friending me. 

LOL some of the unspoken rules are funny. My only rules are if I am Jason, kill everyone. If I am a counselor, escape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I use quick kills like head punch is if there are a bunch of people at the 4 seater. In the time it takes to do the long kills, they could start the car and be gone. Any other times I switch up my kills and try to use environmental's if they are near by. Some times I slash if counselors start ganging up on me. That spreads them out pretty fast. Like others have said, play the way you like to. I don't let others tell me how to enjoy my game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Abstract Daddy said:

I will say slashers that ONLY kill that way are boring. I will say that. Not ones that do it bc someone has a pocket knife or bc the 4 seater is almost started. I’m talking about specifically using P3 Jason with increased weapon damage to just slash kill everyone. It’s just boring to watch but hey, to each their own. Slashing is REALLY easy to avoid so it’s got its ups and downs. 

I personally love long grab kills and haven’t used the head punch except for the trophy that needed it. If I know all hope is lost for the counselors I will reserve only environmental kills for the last ones IF they are low composure characters that have a hard time breaking free. You can’t carry a Jenny half way across the woods to bang her head into a rock bc she’ll just break free and run away. Easy to catch but sometimes environment kills are scarce. I try to keep it fun and exciting. My favorites are Chads that I can walk through the woods with to just find the PERFECT tree to hang him on at the end of the match. 

Eh....recently, I've started challenging myself to only kill by slashing/knives. It's significantly harder to be Jason if you can't grab anyone (though it also makes the awful hit detection issues much more apparent).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Manny1985 said:

LOL some of the unspoken rules are funny. My only rules are if I am Jason, kill everyone. If I am a counselor, escape.

That's how i feel. People judging me for quick animations. Shoot, the few times I'm actually Jason I'm typically in a panic when I grab somebody. I kill how I can and switch it up when I think about it. I help other when I can. I have never quit a game for any reason, Hell, I feel guilty when I have to shut a lobby down after hosting a few games in a row. 

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my opinion may not be the minority after all. It's crazy how quick people are to judge in game though. Just an hour or so ago my bro-in-law was playing on my account , it was his second ever time playing. The first time he played a few weeks he ago he escaped with relatively no troubles. He was confused to hear how many times I die compared to not. Anyway, a couple minutes into the match he has a bat, he is making his way toward a cluster of cabins but he wants to check his map and objectives. He is in the woods by a rock, crouched , pulls his menus up and starts studying a little bit, not even sure what he is looking at, ya know 2nd game and all. Suddenly Buggzy shows up with a bat, starts talking shit , calls him a pussy and tells him to grow a pair of balls. Then he proceeds to wail on him with his bat. Now this freaked my bro-in-law out and he took off running and made his way into a cabin. At this point he is weary of all of the other players, doesnt trust anybody. I told him that usually doesnt happen and there a lot of new guys playing after disc release. I've been telling him and my sister how cool the game isand to buy it. Buggzy may have been enough to kill any interest in a purchase, I doubt it though. Anyway, I guess I'm just a bit surprised by how quick people are to judge all the time. And maybe that's from not many other games online and be exposed to the harshness of it. But hey, people are like that to some degree in real life of course its going to be turned up in the safety of the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now