Sign in to follow this  
final_guy

Friday the 13th: Child of a Survivor?

I've been watching the Scream TV series on MTV (which really shouldn't have the "M" anymore) and I'm really liking the Parent/Child dynamic.  It's pretty cool that Emma's mother & father survived the Lakewood Slasher 20 years ago and that she survived the new Lakewood Slasher recently.  Reminds me a little of H20 when Laurie Strode returned with a son.  Maybe it also has to do with the fact that I'm no longer a teenager (or even in my 20s), so I like seeing more mature slasher main characters.

Wouldn't it be cool if the Friday the 13th franchise featured a returning survivor and his/her/their teenage (or early 20something) child?  I've been making my way through the insanely long Crystal Lake Memories documentary and it seems like all the survivors are still in good health and relatively involved in the horror fan conferences.  Seems like a straightforward enough plot to write.  Parent(s) forbids kid from going to party weekend with friends.  Kid sneaks out anyway.  Parent(s) learns the party weekend is actually at the old Crystal Lake site.  Kid finally learns about parent(s)'s past fight with Jason.  Parent(s) and Child have to take on Jason.

From a timeline perspective, it seems like only the survivors of Parts 2-9 could have appropriately aged children.  Alice died too quickly after Part 1 to have kid.  Jason X takes place too far into the future and I'm not feeling a Jason X2.  Then the survivors of FvJ (2003) and the Friday the 13th reboot (2009) couldn't yield a minimally aged 16 y/o child (though ideally 18-22) just yet.

I'm kinda feeling Ginny from Part 2.  Amy Steel is holding up pretty nicely and she was the first to go toe-to-toe with Jason.  Tommy is great and all, but 3 sequels might be enough for his story line.  I love Tina from Part 7, but her sequel would feel too much like X-Men.

Who would you like to see as the survivor parent?  

• Like 1

Very good point, even though it has been done in other films, it might actually put in an interesting plot twist, especially to a Friday film. Where the Camp is a much more believable "getaway", than some of the other offerings that have been done. Definitely Chris Higgins from part 3, her past with Jason would warrant the best vengeance fueled return, especially if "Higgins Haven" was the destination!

• Like 1