Sign in to follow this  
ZooMalfunction

Why do people rate P6 over P9?

I'm confused on this.

Unlike all the regular Jasons, these are the only two to share an archetype, as both of them are Shifters, but they both pay different prices for the ability.

P6 gets a Morph penalty. P9 gets a Traps penalty (the Defence/HP penalties are almost meaningless). As Traps are a one-time thing, and easily tanked, yet Morph is relevant all match, literally from the start, I feel like a 2 trap reduction is far easier to stomach.

P6 gets bonuses for Sense and Knives, but these are relatively weak bonuses. Sense is only ever flickered by good players, and Knives can be collected everywhere, so all this saves you is time. However, any time you save not collecting (situational) Knives is negated by time wasted waiting longer for your (essential) Morph to recharge.

P6 gets a longer weapon, but it's also a little slower, and more prone to getting stuck indoors, which balances it I feel. It's nice, but not great.

P9 gets bonuses to Stalk, which enables all your Shifts to be upgraded to Stalk-Shifts when the ability unlocks, and Stun Resistance, which when fixed, will be an excellent skill.

So, for me, P9 has less weaknesses and more strengths than P6, for doing the same thing, yet doesn't get anywhere near the love.

Any reasons why? I'd be interested in counter-arguments, as I feel P9 is almost a strict upgrade. I think he gets ignored a lot purely due to being the last unlock, and people have their favourites by then. Also, P6 being one of the most-liked films in the series, and P9 the least, possibly contributes.

I also feel 3 Traps is nowhere near as crippling as some feel. As long as you just use them as alarms to alert you when an objective is being compromised, 3 is all you really need. Unless you kill the people at the obective when alerted, your two replacement traps will just get retanked the second you leave, and with a slow Morph, good luck getting back in time.

Now everyone uses Medic, and as sprays are both numerous and in guaranteed locations, Traps are far less important than they used to be.

• Like 3

I agree. Negative morph can be crippling to J6, especially if more than one objective is getting worked on. I don't understand the love he gets. 2 of his strengths are mediocre, and he has a crippling weakness.

• Like 1

Part VI just plays better. Plus when the kids somehow disable the two traps at the phone, you have to be more aggressive as Part IX. With VI, having the two extras means you can sit back, relax, and kill. VI is by far my favorite Jason to play, and I don't even like the film that match. 

23 minutes ago, Body Boy said:

Part VI just plays better. Plus when the kids somehow disable the two traps at the phone, you have to be more aggressive as Part IX. With VI, having the two extras means you can sit back, relax, and kill. VI is by far my favorite Jason to play, and I don't even like the film that match. 

As a counselor I've waited for J6 to morph. Then I tank his 2 traps, heal, repair phone, call, all that before he morphs back to the phone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dandop1984 said:

As a councilor. I've waited for J6 to morph. Then I tank his 2 traps, heal, repair phone, call, all that before he morphs back to the phone.

As a counselor, I fix the untrapped cars and escape in under 5 minutes with J9.

7 minutes ago, Body Boy said:

Not against good players you don't.

It's also nonsensical. You said the strength of 6 was he had two traps 'spare' to redeploy, meaning you only use 3 traps yourself initially.

If so, you have no advantage over 9 in those first 5 minutes, and an actual disadvantage in you can't Morph to an early car escape as reliably.

To play p6 with a - morph you have to travel by foot or use shift to go places. Only morph to place traps or when it goes off. If there is 1 or 2 people left then you can freely use morph as a offense since its likely not enough for the remaining counselors to get an objective done.

I main him and he is an all around good jason. The fact that he gets more knives to begin with is a plus. I like to save a ton of them as I pick them up to use it on window hoopers at the few remaining. 

P9 is good too. Stalk-shift is deadly outdoors. But with 3 traps you have to camp an objective and take out the nearest counselor until you can free travel places with 1 or 2 counselor left.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Body Boy said:

Yeah, so both Jason's have bad weaknesses , just depends on the situation and counselors 

23 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Not against good players you don't.

It's also nonsensical. You said the strength of 6 was he had two traps 'spare' to redeploy, meaning you only use 3 traps yourself initially.

If so, you have no advantage over 9 in those first 5 minutes, and an actual disadvantage in you can't Morph to an early car escape as reliably.

Yup. I do.

VI has two traps to spare, so if he wants to put 3 traps on the phone, and 1 on each car, then he can.There are no early car escapes when I play 6 because the cars are trapped to shit. Compare with 9 having to chase a 2 seater at 16:45. 

All I am saying is that I, by and large, succeed with VI over IX, though IX almost always gives me a 6 person death rate.

• Like 1

P6, despite his drawbacks, is still one of the best Jasons in-game (and while I've really tried to like Part VI [the movie] I just don't, but that has nothing to do with this game).  P9 has been my go-to Jason ever since he unlocked;  I don't mind less traps, because his speedy shift more than covers for them, and it forces you to be better at placing them too;  plus his stun duration is very brief.  He just fits my play style:  set my traps, collect a few knives while waiting for powers, wreak havok.

I personally think P2 is second-best, and, somehow, P7 turned out to be the worst, though he had some of the best kills in the entire movie franchise.  7 needs a rework.

3 traps is fine if the map has the boat. I'm not even willing to morph there. I just let them fix it up and meet them by the exit for easy kills. Also if the fuse box and car are close by then it helps too. It's so easy to guard on pankanack small if the fuse is at the main house with the 4 seater sitting outside. :) 

But in most cases we have 2 and 4 seaters maps and that cripples Jasons with 3 traps having to camp the 4 seater and hope no one goes for the 2 seater.

Part 6 was designed to take advantage of the fact he was the "throwing knives" Jason from the films. His Sense+ is useful for being able to mark someone, then hunt them down with deadly precision in the dark for a long period of time (which will be very useful since all maps will be 20% darker in the future). That means being able to throw knives at a red moving target in the darkness outside, using Shift to hunt them down, and then throw more knives if they managed to escape the Shift. This Jason overall is just brutal to deal with if you're alone as well as outside. And of course he can toggle Shift on and off to just find people if he doesn't have any problems seeing them, but highlighting them makes it a lot easier to throw knives at them in the darkness.

His weakness revolves around his -Morph weakness, as well as the fact that being able to use Shift more often will sometimes make Jason less cautious. Usually I've seen people trick Jason by having one person make noise in a building, get Jason to Shift into the building, then force him to fight multiple people where his -Defense supposedly makes him vulnerable (Rydog tested otherwise, but's been a while since a test was done on this weakness, and it could be fixed eventually). And if you force Jason to use Morph in order to check on the objectives, it's less likely he'll be able to stop a female counselor from grabbing the sweater even with the trap he can place outside the shack.

Part 9 is basically a more silent version of the Savini Jason with a trap weakness, but otherwise he can repeatedly assault counselors just like Part 6. Also, like Part 6's -Defense weakness, Part 9's less HP weakness also doesn't seem to work (again, it's been a while since Rydog tested this, so it could be different now).

• Like 1

J9 is my choice for plus shifters. I'm bad with J6. On top of his poor morph, he's slow as hell.

I Think part 9 is one of the best in the game. His music and looks are intimidating next to Savini his shift and stalk mean real trouble if one comes across someone that has mastered him well I just think he's great all around

Save for Part 7, as he is genuinely terrible, I think the debate of which Jason is better is moot as it really comes down to your individual talents/play style. I tend to be more comfortable controlling a map when I have multiple traps at each objective, plus I'm quite talented with throwing knives, so Part VI lines up well with what I like to do. 

Double and tripple trapping is more damaging to counselors now that Thick Skinned has been nerfed AND trap damage was increased. Part 6 can double trap the phone, and both car batteries and be guaranteed to cripple a few people in the match unless they have pocket knifes. Part 9 not so much.

I love the way Part 6 looks, that's why he's my main. Not a big fan of Part 9 and not a big fan of how that Jason looks. It's more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. 

Weapon range is the main reason Part 6 is tiered so high. Inability of counselors to hit him through intact doors along with better offensive defense against counselors trying to turn and burn him would alone make Part 6 the stamina drain king (besides Savini) against strong counselors, and he has that Shift strength to boot. It also gives him better offensive defense against multiple counselors surrounding him either for a demask or at an objective for a stun and a bit more range for his swing to bypass a bodyblock a counselor may put up to allow a repair or phone call to go uninterrupted. Regarding indoors, grabbing is usually better than slashing even if the counselors are grouped up since obstructions make grab rescuing harder. The main issue with the weapon range is the Shift-swinging arc, really.

Knives are actually kind of busted now that Thick Skinned is nerfed into the ground and off-meta. Quite an underrated strength I think. Beyond the animation cancelling potential...
1 knife = 30% damage. 1 swing or 1 broken window vault = 20% damage. 50% or less health = limping. And unlike with traps, with knives you can just pull the damage out of your pocket mid-chase and instantly apply it. 4 extra knives is quite significant.

Shift makes the chase music go silent last I checked, so Stalk does nothing towards surprise Shift grabs. I recall it wasn't like that at launch, so maybe Shift cutting the music was a bug that got fixed without me noticing? (I use the camera zoom for detecting out-of-minimap Shifts and timing dodges anyway, not the music.)

J9's Stun Resistance (aka Bright Powder) is pretty neato. I don't know that it's really useful outside of situations where you make a mistake with blocking or where you're intentionally gambling in a solo kiting or low weapon durability duo kiting scenario, though. Decent, but not reliable enough to be great from what I've seen. (Btw, based off of what IllFonicWill said in Discord and what I've seen in-game, I think this strength was already fixed in the Spring Break patch.)

Then we come to 5 Traps w/Morph weakness vs. 3 Traps w/standard Morph... 2 extra Traps get rid of 2 extra Med Spray charges and give peace of mind where you can narrow your focus to 2 objectives without constantly Morphing to the phone box since it might be under assault with no notification after that Vanessa/Chad tanked 3 Traps; Part 9 can Morph more, but Part 6 needs to Morph less. Trap tanking in Jason's face is also really dangerous now without a stun even if you're in a group, upping their value. And well, more Morph doesn't help you when counselors are contesting an objective right in front of you, while traps do. Traps help a tad bit more than Morph with combatting split-pushing as well since conflicts at objectives tend to last quite a bit longer than 40 seconds anyway unless they wreck you or you're facing straight-up feeders. The extra Morph really shouldn't help all that much outside of searching for counselors (which should be a fairly small portion of the game) and stopping an already repaired vehicle that's on the move, which J6 does adequately anyway.

Of course, if you're pubstomping, most of this is probably irrelevant; go forth and wreck random lobbies with J7.

• Like 1

My least favorite to play as is 8, to be honest. Even more than 7.

it all comes down to personal preference and play style. part 6 is my best jason mostly due to his throwing knifes. you just have to be more sparing with morph