Sign in to follow this  
final_guy

Ready to use a mic - recommendations?

After months of playing the strong silent type, I'm finally ready to use a mic.  There just aren't enough emotes or flashlight flashes to ask if anyone has seen the phone box.  However, I need some advice on headsets since there are like a gazillion on Amazon.  I'm a PC gamer that hooks my laptop's HDMI to a big flat-screen and sits about 8 feet back on a couch using one of those Xbox-like controllers.  My three biggest requirements are: (1) mute button so I don't accidentally let Jason find me, (2) reaches me wired with some give or wirelessly, (3) not crazy expensive since I'm just playing a game and not recording a new Top 40 hit.  Any strong recommendations from personal experience using in the F13 game?

I recommend one that allows you to adjust game volume and voice volume. It really comes in handy for me. I'm not sure if there's a headset that does it though. I had to buy an adapter for my old xbox controller and it's all on that.

It's best to keep the mic on at all times EXCEPT when Jason is nearby. You don't want to miss out on crucial information, like someone telling everyone with a walkie they can fit one more person for the four-seater car. Mute it whenever you start hearing Jason's music; you won't necessarily be able to hide the fact you're there since Jason merely needs to see the mic-symbol at the top of the screen, but you can at least make it so he can't get any more tip offs. Of course most mics allow you to hear other players while your own voice is muted, but every in a while someone buys a cheapo mic so I figured that needed to be added in.

Also, as Jason, make sure you mute the mic when you're about to approach counselors while using Stalk. If you forget, and players see a name with the mic icon who they don't recognize, it could instantly tip them off that Jason is nearby using Stalk.

3 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Also, as Jason, make sure you mute the mic when you're about to approach counselors while using Stalk. If you forget, and players see a name with the mic icon who they don't recognize, it could instantly tip them off that Jason is nearby using Stalk.

I always have it muted when playing as Jason. I'll unmute it to give props to people that juke me well, tell the car flying past my shitty shifting that they made it, or if I do something really dumb and want other players to know how dumb I am. Other than that, no one needs to hear Jason talk. There's (almost) nothing worse than a cocky Jason that talks shit every time he catches someone. Good for you, you killed me. Now get over yourself...

• Like 1

Tecknet offer affordable headsets on Amazon, they’re great if you want to play the game sound through them as well as listening/talking to people on mics. Mine isn’t wireless but it has a long cable that has a volume dock/mute switch.

On 10/2/2017 at 0:16 AM, final_guy said:

After months of playing the strong silent type, I'm finally ready to use a mic.  There just aren't enough emotes or flashlight flashes to ask if anyone has seen the phone box.  However, I need some advice on headsets since there are like a gazillion on Amazon.  I'm a PC gamer that hooks my laptop's HDMI to a big flat-screen and sits about 8 feet back on a couch using one of those Xbox-like controllers.  My three biggest requirements are: (1) mute button so I don't accidentally let Jason find me, (2) reaches me wired with some give or wirelessly, (3) not crazy expensive since I'm just playing a game and not recording a new Top 40 hit.  Any strong recommendations from personal experience using in the F13 game?

Get in a good commutity.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:15 AM, BoxingRouge said:

Tecknet offer affordable headsets on Amazon, they’re great if you want to play the game sound through them as well as listening/talking to people on mics. Mine isn’t wireless but it has a long cable that has a volume dock/mute switch.

Thanks for the recommendation; got one and it has been great.