GunMedia_Ben

Quality of Life Improvements and What We're Doing

Hey all!

With yesterday's patch and new DLC content added, we've already been working hard to take feedback into account and continue to focus on the DLC Road Map that was presented recently. We have a ton of stuff on our plates in terms of more content for you guys, more fixes to issues that remain stubbornly present, and of course we want to take more and more of your feedback and start to effect quality of life improvements into the game. 

Again; this post is not about gameplay balance and bugs as those are handled in a separate matter. This is all about things that could help with user experiences and potentially some new gameplay tweaks.

Quality of Life Improvements are tweaks and changes to the game that mainly come from player feedback as we continue to play the game. These are different than bugs and content/gameplay updates in that the best way we can work to implement them is from direct commentary and gameplay metrics that we receive directly from the community. 

We're going to take some time here with this post as a catchall for the biggest QoL ideas out there and go over feasibility, time-to-implement and others to give you guys an idea of what we're working on around here to improve user experiences when playing the game. 

Overall Host/Hosting/Players Leaving

This is perhaps the biggest thing we as a team see when it comes to direct feedback on player experience. Of course; 'Host Left the Session' is probably the most annoying things players on Xbox One and PS4 see when playing a game...especially after they finally get to be Jason. The upcoming Dedicated Servers we discussed will definitely resolve a lot of these issues for players, but that doesn't fix everything. 

A lot of feedback is coming from players on people leaving immediately as a game starts; that is to say someone either drops out or intentionally quits due to not being the specific character they wanted (more often than not, that is Jason). We also recognize that players leave during a kill animation when they play as Jason, thereby forgoing any sort of XP gain due to how the system currently works. 

Many suggestions have been offered; penalize the quitters, don't allow them to be Jason for a set time, give them a cool-down to host, destroy them and their families....etc.  We think there's a bit to be done in terms of balancing out intentional quitting vs those that lag out due to quitting. We don't have a set answer for you right now, but we are currently investigating XP balances for quitters, cool-down potentials or time-outs and we are investigating either awarding XP at the start of a kill or keeping counselors around for a set time (sub-one minute) after a disconnect to ensure Jason gets the XP during a kill, or is able to get a kill from someone that has left potentially. 

Nothing is solid, nothing is set in stone and work has to be done to test that exploits and mistaken connection issues aren't causing more problems than they are solving, but we want you guys to know that we are very aware of the player leaving dissatisfaction currently present. 

Key Binding

We unfortunately had to do a lot of work in fixes and bugs that this fell by the wayside. It is a priority right now and will be implemented just as soon as we're able. 

Make Tommy Jarvis More Heroic 

Without getting into specifics, this is very much being done. That update will come later, but Tommy is going to be more Tommy-like. 

Stat Tracking/Community Events

This one is a more involved process; a lot of the reasons the servers went 'kersplodey' at launch was due to the massive amounts of traffic going over our servers at the time. We like tracking things and are looking into adding some ability for you to check out what you've done in-game, who you've played as and all that. A new screen has to be made, stats have to be reliably tracked and then we have to get it into the menu in some fashion, but we are considering this for more of you that enjoy seeing their stats and gameplay. We do track a lot on the backend right now, but turning that public facing will take some time.

We believe we can get some of this into the upcoming Community Events, as those require backend stat tracking. We're currently investigating.

Sandbox Mode for Exploration

We've heard this one from the start and agree that there's something that can potentially be done here. The trick would be to allow players to explore each map without a timer, without objectives and so forth. We believe we can get a P2P private match that allows for players to just hang out without having to worry about a timer ending. How complicated we get with this in terms of allowing people to do what is very much in the air at this time, but we are looking into something that we believe would benefit the Role-Playing and Machinima communities. 

Additional XP for Different Actions Accomplished

We have had a lot of feedback pertaining to making things more viable for team play and awarding XP for various actions. A major one is affording more XP for more people in an escaping car (ex; +25XP per person in escaping car awarded to each occupant). These kinds of tweaks and XP awards need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis, however we are exploring more ways to promote teamwork through savior actions, team work and offer more reasons to be nice to your fellow counselors. 

Utilization of Campsites

Right now, the various campsites have very little reason to visit other than using the tents. Some of these camps are in the middle of the map (Evergreen, Blair's, etc...) while others are out in the distance. We're looking into making the ones further out more appealing to players to check out. 

Selecting a 'No Jason' Preference

We have heard this a bit more and believe it's something that would work well to allow those that never want to be Jason to always spawn as a counselor. This would let those wanting to be Jason get a higher percent chance at it each time, and would likely be utilized by a smaller portion of our player base than those seeking to only select Jason as spawn preference. One of our biggest pushes from the get-go was to not allow players to choose Jason due to the popularity and inherent impracticality of being the man behind the mask. Those players that feel that only being a counselor is their kind of game have a high likelihood of that occurring, but to remove the entire possibility at least gives those wanting to be Jason more opportunities, potentially. 

Jason Being Able to Break Furniture/Tables/Desks

We have explored this, however there's a ton of work that needs to go into this and there simply isn't the manpower available right now. We'd have to create additional assets of 'broken' furniture to allow for this, and depending on how much is destroyed in a given space lends the possibility of crashes, frame-rate drops and so forth. We likely won't be able to do this, but the idea has been explored. 

• Like 16

Hard like!

Edit: These are all things for players from a variety of backgrounds to get excited about. It's great to know that you guys are looking at the gameplay from a longevity and variety standpoint. I'm also glad to read that you are looking to steer the game towards rewarding cooperative play.

Everything here as well as on the website is excellent. This latest patch has been very good so far and I hope everything continues to get better! Thank you!!

44 minutes ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Make Tommy Jarvis More Heroic 

Without getting into specifics, this is very much being done. That update will come later, but Tommy is going to be more Tommy-like. 

This is great to hear. I'd be happy if he just spawned with a pocket knife, myself, but any additional benefits would be great!

I'm glad the sandbox idea remains an active one, because I've always enjoyed the level of detail in the maps and particularly the signature areas.

I would definitely enjoy being able at times to have a quiet wander around. A little bit of virtual tourism of the films.

Really, it's pretty much a case of "yes to all the above".

• Like 1

I know this seems like an obvious question, but the impact could be great.

Will we ever see the day where counselor bots will be available in online play? There are plenty of reasons to bring them in. Quality of life reasons in particular especially as the game moves along.

Will we ever see the day where an AI Jason might be brought into the fold in the future? I know its been said that it would be a nightmare to code and not a very fun experience. Yet I think of the scenarios where the 7 or 8 people in the lobby literally want nothing to do with playing Jason, have their preference set to counselor or never Jason. Why not force them to play against an AI Jason? If you have a lobby of 8 people who want nothing to do with Jason and the feature is added to swap the Jason who got picked and left with another person to be Jason, that becomes a problem when none of them want to be him?

Whatever you're doing, why not switch things up, and try actually QAing and play testing it before you push it out the door. 

• Like 2

Taking a cue from Overwatch,maybe some special events/game modes that fit the whole camp vibe.

Capture The Flag,with Mrs. Voorhees head.

Yes,I am 100% serious.

I honestly think that adding more hero characters from the movies would be a step in the right direction.  Tina, Megan with the camaro escape vehicle, um some of the other ones they could show up in different ways with different things.  The fans and new people alike would love something like this. The girl in part 3 could show up with the van, Tina could throw stuff at Jason like chairs and whatnot,  telekenetic cool down. The girl with the chainsaw.  Limited gas long Jason knockout.  These are just off the top of my head ideas and could go in many directions.  Adding motorcycles as a 2 person escape vehicle also would be cool. Jason swapping weapons like councillors can on map.  Ect.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Whatever you're doing, why not switch things up, and try actually QAing and play testing it before you push it out the door. 

That's true. No scoreboard & lowered stun times? I'm just curious as to who thought this was a good idea within the community?

What did you guys do to thick skin?  It is pointless to have it equipped now.  The best perk in the game became the worst with no mention of it getting reduced.  I'm not asking for much here.  I just don't want to limp after ONE trap.  Two is perfectly reasonable to me but not one.  Finding a med spray isn't always the easiest and I have yet to roll the hypochondriac perk.  Fix it please.  And the stupid issue where if Jason grabs you you can no longer go through a window if you escape via knife or breaking the grasp.  Prompt is there but it will not activate.  

I won't visit this game until consoles have dedicated and and single player, but good luck guys.

1 hour ago, Jokesonu! said:

I honestly think that adding more hero characters from the movies would be a step in the right direction.  Tina, Megan with the camaro escape vehicle, um some of the other ones they could show up in different ways with different things.  The fans and new people alike would love something like this. The girl in part 3 could show up with the van, Tina could throw stuff at Jason like chairs and whatnot,  telekenetic cool down. The girl with the chainsaw.  Limited gas long Jason knockout.  These are just off the top of my head ideas and could go in many directions.  Adding motorcycles as a 2 person escape vehicle also would be cool. Jason swapping weapons like councillors can on map.  Ect.. 

I'm all for stronger hero's as long as they aren't op. Jason needs to stay op. It's his game after all. Also I don't want Tommy's buff to be as obvious as a pocket knife. Something like a better shotgun would be better.

Already saw this on your site. Interesting ideas to put in the game!

But please, fix Part 6 Jason's mask!

Thanks for the continued feedback and support. Most of these sounds great!

I am just curious how much more room the game will have resources wise after the rain is released. Breakable furniture would be cool but only if it doesnt take up the rest of the "wiggle" room.

33 minutes ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

I'm all for stronger hero's as long as they aren't op. Jason needs to stay op. It's his game after all. Also I don't want Tommy's buff to be as obvious as a pocket knife. Something like a better shotgun would be better.

Neither a pocket knife nor a better shotgun necessarily make him more heroic, just a more reliable survivor among the counselors.

If he's to truly be more more heroic, he'd need something like exclusive perks that don't necessarily affect him, but those around him. Something like "Supportive: Reduces the fear of counselors around you" or "Vendetta: Counselors near you have a chance to avoid Jason's sense, but you are more likely to be sensed by Jason." Right now, Tommy has the perks of your previous counselor (if I'm not mistaken), but if you were able to customize your Tommy so that he still keeps your previous counselors perks, while also gaining his own unique perk, it'd make Tommy quite different for each game, depending on who comes back as Tommy, while also making him seem more heroic.

And without creating a whole new reply just for the sake of saying it, I'd really like a way to change Spawn Preference while waiting for a match to start, without having to leave a lobby to do so. Some days I feel like Jason, others I don't. But if I forget to change it when I close the game, I sometimes forget to set it when I get back on the next day. It's not a big deal, but when you manage to find a lobby with great people, you don't want to leave it just to change your spawn preference.

5 hours ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

destroy them and their families....

Haha this was pretty funny. 

Very glad that hosts won't be able to end the game for everyone when they leave and Jason will still be able to get XP if someone quits. I think there should be an extra penalty to discourage quitting mid-kill or while in Jason's grip: quitting would double the amount of XP Jason would get. Like if he performs a grab kill, instead of getting 120 XP, he should get 240 XP. That way the kill animation still plays correctly (I hate having to watch him swing at the air) and Jason gets the XP. With the changes, will the kill count at the end now include quitters and suiciders? I have probably had 7/7 or 8/8 displayed once at the end of the game because of those types of players (I've killed them all so many times, yet so many people quit mid-kill and ruin the count). Will Jason also get XP from suiciders and betrayals? Those are two other ways to easily rob Jason of XP. 

5 hours ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Selecting a 'No Jason' Preference

We have heard this a bit more and believe it's something that would work well to allow those that never want to be Jason to always spawn as a counselor. This would let those wanting to be Jason get a higher percent chance at it each time, and would likely be utilized by a smaller portion of our player base than those seeking to only select Jason as spawn preference. One of our biggest pushes from the get-go was to not allow players to choose Jason due to the popularity and inherent impracticality of being the man behind the mask. Those players that feel that only being a counselor is their kind of game have a high likelihood of that occurring, but to remove the entire possibility at least gives those wanting to be Jason more opportunities, potentially. 

So no separate Jason queue like Dead by Daylight uses for its Killers? Darn.

@Gertz

Adding dedicated servers is cool and looking forward to it.  If you were able to add ai to quitters that would be really cool, but I'm guessing that may be tough to do while also adding content.  I am neutral on punishing leavers as long as there's a way to give Jason kill / xp credit for them without opening a flood gate of people quitting to help friends as jason.  I'm in favor of punishing for 2 or more within a certain time frame if you can distinguish them from time out drops. For tommys, I'd love to see high xp for helping others survive, and perhaps giving him super slow repair and start time to deter him from leaving until he is last left. For all other counselors I think they should be able to get larger leaving xp, perhaps having regular leaving xp multiplied by a percentage based on actions, including for a quick leave. Making camping better and perhaps decreasing time anyone can be sensed while increasing effect of fear for noise from hiders would make all hiding spots a more practical for longer period.

For breaking couches and fences, if they just disappeared after destruction would that still cause big issues?  I could live with no couch debris if it stops ring around the roses with coaches.

Heres an idea that would be awesome.  Add smoking a joint by campfire for 1 minute worth like 100xp multiplied by number of people smoking together, drinking by water worth same, and getting in tent with second counselor worth 200 xp per minute up to 3 minutes.   Of course, all actions trigger an audio notification of coughing / burping / moaning, with map highlight for jason, and with especially loud notification for tent rendevous.  Jason don't like the sexy time.

Just wanted to chime in here and say thank you to @GunMedia_Ben, @Gertz, and everybody else from the team who is reaching out on here and Reddit and wherever to keep us updated.  I know the negative folks are generally louder than the positives, but I really feel like the game is tons of fun and built on a really solid foundation that will just continue to improve as time goes on.  These kind of "roadmap" posts help keep the optimism up, and I am glad some critical things continue to be addressed.

Since the patch this week (on PC at least) I feel like both Jason and the counselors are working much more like I'd expect, and the games I've played with friends have been a blast.  I think there are some issues with the Luck stat being inverted, as has been mentioned by others, but overall things just "feel" right.  Jason is scary again, he's hard to keep down but possible to escape, and the counselors can still survive and escape with teamwork.  Some of our matches tonight were 8/8 sweeps, some were 3/8.  And we are all experienced players.  Tweak the luck, polish a couple other things, and it's going to be much smoother sailing.

Oh, and massive, massive thanks for fixing the male counselor voices and the Part 9 Jason music.  Huge quality improvement from an aesthetic point of view when playing different counselors, and the Jason music is sweet.

As far as comments on the above "quality of life" stuff, really love the idea of a sandbox mode.  Keybinding would be nice but I'm used to the scheme at this point so I can take it or leave it.  Jason should get XP when the kill begins even if the person quits/disconnects, and the body should remain correctly animated instead of insta-ragdoll until the kill completes.  That'd fix the rage quit problem.  Would be cool to see Tommy have some sort of special ability but not much or he'd become potentially unbalanced.  He's already a key part of the "kill Jason" sequence, but having something to make him slightly more "heroic" would be cool.  And having other hero characters would be great too.

9 hours ago, PrestonDelRey said:

Keep up the amazing work!

LOL, is this ironic?