Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crawly Creature

Why Does Jason Vomit Water at the end of part 8

7 posts in this topic

I Recently watched part 8 and at the end, The unmasked Voorhees started vomiting up (I guess it may have been sewage or sea water) when he saw the Sewage water coming. Can someone please explain why he does..... Cause this is just confusing.

Related image

My only logic, is because part 8 was supposed to be the "final" Friday the 13th movie (for that time).  So in his final death scene, from what I watched in special features of my DVD, they talked how basically Jason was going to "revert" to his former self and die, the water (in my opinion) representing the fact that he drowned as a child, a part they wanted to put into the movie, was a child Jason crawling out of Jasons mouth before perishing, thus "ending" the curse that was Jason, but the scene proved too difficult to film for both the child and the effects team, so they ditched it for what we got.  I think thats why (if i recall) you hear a childs voice of Jason crying.

1 person likes this

I always thought it was because he's basically a walking corpse and at the beginning of the movie he had been under Crystal Lake for quite a while.  All of that lake water just came up.

1 person likes this

What Deefy said and I guess lazerus_86 too. It was meant to be "final" but since it was not it's actually just water that has soaked into Jason's body that he never gets rid of because he's a zombie.

I assumed he was vomiting up any toxic waste he swallowed. I mean, yeah - it LOOKS like water... but so does 90% of the "toxic waste" in that film.

Here's an overly long thing I once wrote about Jason and the ending to Part VIII:

(DISCLAIMER: I am in no way stating that this is what the filmmakers intended, and I am fully aware that a lot of the evidence for my theory is, in the real world, simply the filmmakers either screwing up, or not giving a shit about the continuity of the series. This theory takes none of that into consideration and instead examines things from an "in-universe" perspective.)

HOW THE ENDING TO JASON TAKES MANHATTAN EXPLAINS IT ALL

My theory on Jason has always been this. He drowned, then he came back when Pamela's blood hit the water in Part I. But he came back as something... different. 

To put it simply, he was 90% Jason, 10% Demon.

The novelizations by Simon Hawke (which I know are not canon) show that Jason feels a need to kill, a pounding in his head that demands it.

So what if that pounding started out like a whisper, and all that little 11 year old Jason knew was that this whisper wanted him to do "bad things" that he wanted no part of.

But, after Jason "feels" and is resurrected by his Mother's death, the demon thing inside him has the angle it needs. 

"Look!" it says. "I told you to KILL and you didn't listen. Your Mother knew what had to be done, and she died trying to do YOUR work!"

At that moment Jason is still 90% human, but whatever little bit of sanity he still had (and to be sure, it wasn't much), left him at that moment, and he chose to do what the voice told him to do. 

That takes us through to the end of Part II. This is an important moment in Jason's history, because this is where he appears to break his bond with his mother.

Basically, it's like this: Jason receives a blatantly mortal wound at the end of Part II. He dies again, then he wakes up again. When this happens (and as it continues to happen throughout the series) more of the human part of Jason dies, and the demon part of him grows. So at the end of Part II, let's say that he's 20% demon, 80% human. He wakes up, yanks the machete out, and leaves.

He does NOT tuck his mother's head under his arm, or throw it into the convenient pillow sack he has laying around. Despite knowing that his shack has been discovered by Ginny, who escaped. 

Why wouldn't Jason do this? His Mother has been his sole motivation up to this point, and obviously he cared enough about her to build a freaking shrine around her desiccated head... but Jason leaves her behind when he could have easily taken her along.

I believe the reason is his loss of humanity. Jason wakes up and no longer feels the connection with his mother that he once did. Instead, the urge to KILL and guard his territory grows more intense (because of the demon's growing strength) and in his weakened state it overpowers everything else. So he leaves his mother, and whatever feelings he once had for her, behind him for the rest of the series (or, to be more specific, while he may still possess the same feelings for his mother, his "death" at the end of Part II, and the growth of the "demon" within him, has now suppressed those feelings, instead forcing Jason to focus on the more powerful and overwhelming need to KILL those that invade his territory) until the perfect human/demon hybrid Jason of FREDDY VS. JASON appears.

Jason also appears to subtly grow in strength between Part II and III. Blows that knock the wind out of Part II Jason tend to only momentarily distract Part III Jason. He also appears to have grown somewhat physically larger between the two films. All this can be attributed to the growing presence of the demon.

Part IV: So, after the axe to the head Jason dies again. This time he comes back, say, 30% demon, 70% human. Jason seems to have much more rage in this installment then the previous ones, making "HUUUURRRRH!" type growls as opposed to his utter silence from before - except for the loud grunts that he made when getting stabbed in Part III. Also in this installment, Jason gets his hand cut in half lengthwise without making a sound and, in fact, looks at the wound, seemingly surprised - as if the human part of Jason is a little bewildered at his lack of pain. These things can be seen as further, subtle clues of the demon's growing influence.

Then at the end of Part IV Jason's body is so horribly wounded that even his demonic healing abilities cannot repair it.

Jason is buried and his body begins to decay. In this environment of constant physical entropy, the best the demonic force within him can do is keep his body from rotting away within… at least, until that lightning bolt gives it a little jump start.

In Part VI Jason is now about 70% demon, 30% human. The big leap attributed to the length of Jason's "death" (in fact, if one is inclined to believe in a mysterious "Elias Voorhees-shaped" figure lurking behind the scenes of the series, making everything happen just so, then you could even say that Jason's slumber was intentional in order to reawaken him as a more powerful creature... if one was so inclined). As chronicled in the Part VI novelization, the human part of Jason is not happy to be awakened. For the first time in a long time Jason was at peace, without the constant pounding in his head demanding that he KILL, KILL, KILL!

This memory of peace will haunt the human part of Jason (helping to fuel the demon's rage) until the end of PART VIII, when the last part of Jason's humanity dies.

It is this memory of peace, and Tommy's inadvertent resurrection of Jason, that CAUSES Jason to go after Tommy, even to the extent of abandoning other victims, at the end of the film. There is just no way that Jason recognizes Tommy from the end of Part IV (I mean, just look at how much Tommy's appearance changed as he got older!), so Jason isn't attacking him out of revenge for Tommy butchering him, he's attacking him because this SOB woke him up, out of the first peace he's felt since he was 11 years old.

In Part VII things get bad for Jason. Now he's become a passenger within his own body, a body that is now 80% demon. He feels, he watches, and he is fully aware, but he is utterly unable to control. He and the demon have now switched places, and it is the demon that is now in the driver's seat. Jason yearns only to rest and for peace.

And in Part VIII it finally comes to him. Because of a psychic connection forged (through unknown means, but possibly from Rennie swimming in Crystal Lake when she was the same age that Jason was when he drowned) with Rennie, the 10% or so of Jason that is left in this movie is constantly psychically haunting Rennie, trying to force her to free him from his prison. In the bathroom scene little Jason comes out of the mirror, grabs Rennie, says "HELP ME! HELP MEEE!", then fades back into the mirror - and then, for a split second, the child appears to be surrounded by the silhouette of his adult self - a visual representation of the child Jason stuck in the demonic monster that is his adult form.

Jason also appears especially evil in Jason Takes Manhattan (for example, the way he slowly spears the girl at the beginning), and, for the first time in the series, appears able to blatantly teleport. His appearance has also radically changed, with both his body and his clothing seeming way, way more intact. All signs that Jason's humanity is almost completely gone, and Jason is becoming more and more a purely supernatural creature.

The human part of Jason wants Rennie to "kill" him again so that he can be free. Notice that Jason only directly attacks Rennie once in the movie, and through a porthole from behind. In fact, in Part VIII there are several shots where we see Jason watch somebody walk somewhere. Each time he follows them and kills them. We get the exact same shot with Rennie... and he leaves her alone. He even gives her this weird head tilt look. I believe that this is the 10% of human Jason inside. Somehow, due to his connection to Rennie, the human part of Jason recognizes that she can free it, and it keeps her alive by subtly influencing the demon to attack elsewhere. It happens again with the mugger/rapists. After Jason kills the guy on top of Rennie he has plenty of time to dispatch her as well before the other mugger pulls out his gun and starts shooting him. 

At the end of the film, Jason is once again killed, and this time everything that is left of his humanity dies with him. Rennie looks down and sees the dead, undeformed body of Jason as a child where his adult body lies, a psychic representation that everything pure and innocent and human within Jason is finally dead and free at last.

Notice that when Sean looks where Rennie is looking that his face fills with relief, an unusual reaction to seeing a dead child he has no way of knowing IS Jason, so it's probable that what he is seeing there is the very messed up and half melted adult Jason.

And, of course, all of this culminates in JASON GOES TO HELL. This Jason is 100% all demon (and a small, squiggly little demon at that) and no humanity. Obviously Jason didn't always have the Hellbaby within him, or it would have emerged in Part IV, so, like his increased endurance and strength and teleportation, it must have manifested as became more demonic in nature…

Finally, in FREDDY VS. JASON (and therefore also in JASON X, which I believe begins relatively shortly after the ending to FVSJ)  I believe that Jason comes back from Hell as a perfect hybrid of human and demon. A kind of Jason that we've never seen before. One with the healing and strength of the demon Jason, but with the attachment to his mother and fear of drowning from his humanity.

TOO LONG, DIDN'T READ: Jason's demonic powers grow as his humanity dies, culminating with the ending of Part VIII symbolically showing us "human" Jason's death through Rennie's vision, and JASON GOES TO HELL showing us his ultimate demonic form.

2 people like this

This is my theory, ans coincides a bit with @lazerus_86 amd @RKSDooMDon't forget the first basic rule of symbolism as well: water means rebirth. Now, a big part of what he is spewing is toxic waste water, however, he is also spewing out his evil, contaminated side. As Rks pointed out, he could have killed her a few times, but something holds him back. Maybe it's those memories of her suffering in his lake as a child, the same as he did. So it's that small percentage of human left after all his rebirths. Now when he is spewing the water, and resorts back to a helpless child, that is his rebirth into humanity almost. It's Jason regurgitating the evil trapped in him from the lake, and expelling out whatever is possessing him so his soul can rest.

1 person likes this

I haven't read all of the posts but the dude was swimming in the ocean for quite some time and likely drank a little too much water during the trip. :)