1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

Haven’t read the thread but just replying to the tag. Anyone who says there was boat start-up at launch is full of it. @malloymk I can actually provide proof as I still have clips from that time, I remember.

I will find those clips this weekend and post them so this topic can finally be put to rest. I also don’t believe anyone had a rogue sound file, only a rogue memory in their brain. Think about it - to put in a boat start-up sound completely defies the reason to go for boat obj in the first place. The whole reason was always that it had a silent start-up, but y were virtually screwed if / when it was seen on the map. A trade off. I guess a year later the devs simply forgot what the obj was all about. 😄

Did we ever confirm if the startup sound worked on day 1 for the Xbox and PS versions but not on steam?  I didn’t participate in the beta but I’ve been around since launch on the PC, and I never heard the noise, the only time I heard anything as Jason was when I was in close proximity and heard the same start up sound that the counselor heard.

I thought that the sound did in fact exist but was purposely disabled for balance reasons.  If you read through the old posts there was confirmation that the boat was not meant to have sound, Shifty contradicted this when patch reimplemented the sound.  (He replied directly to my post when I questioned the change).

But even after months with this change in my opinion hasn’t changed. 

I’m all for making it more difficulty to escape or hurt/kill Jason, but If it were me I would have left the sound out, it felt better balanced without it.   The boat will always be the easiest method to stop because he can spawn almost on top of it with Morph.  

As long as Jason is aware the boat is in play he can easy keep tabs on it my quickly glancing at him map.  Generally he has about 3-4 minutes of the boat is on the original map before the boat is going to get fixed.  Jarvis is 7-8 and PineHurst is about 10.   These numbers are based around how my style of play which is focused on repairs using  AJ, and having a good idea of the placement of the objectives after over 1000 hours of playtime.

As long as Jason doesn’t allow himself to get too distracted it’s not hard manage.  He should assume the characters will go for the boat first, then all you need to do is let it  get to the middle of the lake before you kill the escapee and it almost guarantees the boats removed from play.  It was rare the remaining counselors are going to swim out to the boat due to the sound pings.  But now now that the boat makes a sound it even more of a deterrent.

We discussed this with @malloymk back then. I also was convinced that the boat could have been heard by Jason back whenever. I remember a long time ago my kid saying that "wtf, the boat escaped, didn't hear it". I was also surprised because I could have sworn that it was heard at some point. Well, Malloy convinced me. It was a long way back and the times I thought I heard the boat start, I was probably near the boat. Or it could have been a temporary host-based sound-glitch between patches (wouldn't be surprised about that...). Or I just missremember this, nothing unusual about that.

Anywho, I trust this bunch, so no further  debate from me.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:44 AM, shodan said:

Did we ever confirm if the startup sound worked on day 1 for the Xbox and PS versions but not on steam?  I didn’t participate in the beta but I’ve been around since launch on the PC, and I never heard the noise, the only time I heard anything as Jason was when I was in close proximity and heard the same start up sound that the counselor heard.

I am PS4 so can confirm it never existed at launch. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably getting confused due to hearing the boat within proximity. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

I am PS4 so can confirm it never existed at launch. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably getting confused due to hearing the boat within proximity. 

You are correct, i have even posted video proof that it never existed at launch or even a while after launch here on the forums and yet there are still some people who think it did exist then.