damnenchiladas

NEVER HIKE ALONE

On 3/27/2018 at 6:49 AM, Truth said:

Not at all. As long as they don't use Friday the 13th, Jason Voorhees, or any other direct story elements of the Friday films they will be in the clear.

It is 100% OK to be inspired by and borrow "horror cliches" from well established films. The film "Final Girls," which was widely released, is almost a direct rip off of Friday the 13th and The Burning and never received any flack. Filming at Camp David Morgan is also fine as along as they don't call it Camp Crystal Lake or Forest Green.

Love that they are using the Cooper mask too, although I wonder if that will could get them in trouble with Bloody Murder series. 

edit: I just happen to stumble into the forum that is now closed and wish I could have commenting before it was. As much as I appreciate the reception for Never Hike Alone's level of execution, I would please ask that you don't use that against other up and coming indie filmmakers who are trying their hand at either their own fan films or original projects. From what I can tell, that team seems to be operating with their hearts in the right places and you'd be surprised how often "low budget" efforts can surprise you in unexpected ways. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, damnenchiladas said:

edit: I just happen to stumble into the forum that is now closed and wish I could have commenting before it was. As much as I appreciate the reception for Never Hike Alone's level of execution, I would please ask that you don't use that against other up and coming indie filmmakers who are trying their hand at either their own fan films or original projects. From what I can tell, that team seems to be operating with their hearts in the right places and you'd be surprised how often "low budget" efforts can surprise you in unexpected ways. 

My opinion of it had nothing to do with your success, or how your movie was made. My opinion was based off of the video and how they presented their project. I don't think I even mentioned NHA in that thread...

As for the potential of a lawsuit, I thought I remembered you saying (maybe in a different thread) that your movie was okay because you made it clear it was a fan film BASED OFF f13 and using f13 characters/locations rather than claiming it was an original idea. In that video, she says it's inspired by f13, but the project is totally original. That's why I would assume there could be legal issues.

8 hours ago, damnenchiladas said:

I think the majority of the NHA comments in that thread were directed toward the OP whom had claimed that -- compared to this "Camp Candy" film, NHA "sucked." I was certainly not belittling the knock-off film because it didn't match-up to NHA. I pointed out things that NHA *did* do that the knock-off film did not think to or bother to in order to dispute her claim.

I think many of us just wanted to rush to the defense of something we clearly appreciated when someone was belittling it in comparison to something else with what appeared to be less dedication and creativity.

As I type this, I am beginning to realize I probably should have simply never engaged in the original discussion to begin with. It sort of turned into a "YOUR movie's stupid!" "No, YOURS is!" match. Not very mature on either side, admittedly. Thanks for the reminder. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Truth said:

My opinion of it had nothing to do with your success, or how your movie was made. My opinion was based off of the video and how they presented their project. I don't think I even mentioned NHA in that thread...

As for the potential of a lawsuit, I thought I remembered you saying (maybe in a different thread) that your movie was okay because you made it clear it was a fan film BASED OFF f13 and using f13 characters/locations rather than claiming it was an original idea. In that video, she says it's inspired by f13, but the project is totally original. That's why I would assume there could be legal issues.

I wasn't pointing fingers or condemning anyone specifically,  just saying my peace since NHA was used as a reference. 

I get where you are coming from, but films do not get rights over specific locations. Like if I wanted to film a slasher film at Camp Nobebosco, there would be nothing to stop me. It's only when you include actual story or character elements from an existing property that you step into the fan film arena.  

5 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I think the majority of the NHA comments in that thread were directed toward the OP whom had claimed that -- compared to this "Camp Candy" film, NHA "sucked." I was certainly not belittling the knock-off film because it didn't match-up to NHA. I pointed out things that NHA *did* do that the knock-off film did not think to or bother to in order to dispute her claim.

I think many of us just wanted to rush to the defense of something we clearly appreciated when someone was belittling it in comparison to something else with what appeared to be less dedication and creativity.

As I type this, I am beginning to realize I probably should have simply never engaged in the original discussion to begin with. It sort of turned into a "YOUR movie's stupid!" "No, YOURS is!" match. Not very mature on either side, admittedly. Thanks for the reminder. 

No worries and like I said, not trying to condemn everyone. Its just a lesson I learned long ago and do my best not to engage with salty forum members or openly bash films. There is nothing wrong with criticism, but like you said the "stupid" vs "stoopid" arguments never really go anywhere. And trust me, I've had my fair share lol. 

I appreciate the defense but just because someone is talking shit about NHA, doesn't necessarily mean anything. The support for the film speaks for itself and quite often statements like that are made because people are either trying to get a rise out of others, or they are counterculturist who simply hate anything a majority of people tend to enjoy. Some people just want to watch the world burn and it no use trying to reason with them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, damnenchiladas said:

statements like that are made because people are either trying to get a rise out of others

24 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Not very mature on either side, admittedly.

I think the OP of that thread should've been enough of a deterrent. She has a tendency to pull people in to her trolling...

You're right though @damnenchiladas, we shouldn't bash the film regardless of our opinions. That was immature on all fronts. I wouldn't want to be the reason someone didn't achieve their goal.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:17 AM, damnenchiladas said:

Not at all. As long as they don't use Friday the 13th, Jason Voorhees, or any other direct story elements of the Friday films they will be in the clear.

It is 100% OK to be inspired by and borrow "horror cliches" from well established films. The film "Final Girls," which was widely released, is almost a direct rip off of Friday the 13th and The Burning and never received any flack. Filming at Camp David Morgan is also fine as along as they don't call it Camp Crystal Lake or Forest Green.

Love that they are using the Cooper mask too, although I wonder if that will could get them in trouble with Bloody Murder series. 

Totally this ... if this wasn't the case the vast majority of horror films wouldn't have been made. Even classics like John Carpenter's Halloween; that genius opening scene was completely lifted from the intro to Blood and Lace (1971) almost shot for shot in places. Friday the 13th Part II ... I'm surprised the makers of The Town That Dreaded Sundown didn't take them to court of their sack-head Jason design. And so the list goes on ...

3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Totally this ... if this wasn't the case the vast majority of horror films wouldn't have been made. Even classics like John Carpenter's Halloween; that genius opening scene was completely lifted from the intro to Blood and Lace (1971) almost shot for shot in places. Friday the 13th Part II ... I'm surprised the makers of The Town That Dreaded Sundown didn't take them to court of their sack-head Jason design. And so the list goes on ...

I've noticed that the Pamela freaks out on Alice scene in part 1 was lifted from A Bay of Blood when Simon kills Laura, Pamela is dressed and acts like Simon shot for shot.

1 hour ago, Redcat345 said:

I've noticed that the Pamela freaks out on Alice scene in part 1 was lifted from A Bay of Blood when Simon kills Laura, Pamela is dressed and acts like Simon shot for shot.

Oooo, good spot!  I haven't seen Bay of Blood in years, will have to dig it out.

I kinda look at Friday the 13th as the Burger King of slasher flicks. They may not have done it first (concerning the lifts from other films), but they definitely did it better! 

If said person making comment is a self-ascribed fat boi who loves fast food and thinks Burger King is the bomb, then no, it's not an intended insult :) 

@damnenchiladas, I finally got the chance to watch your film. Kudos man. Very well done. Thank you for helping to fill the void. We have been waiting a long time for something good, and this perfectly fills that void until/if we ever get a Friday film with Jason in it or not, seeing how this whole court case leaves the franchise on the chopping block.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, jameson87 said:

@damnenchiladas, I finally got the chance to watch your film. Kudos man. Very well done. Thank you for helping to fill the void. We have been waiting a long time for something good, and this perfectly fills that void until/if we ever get a Friday film with Jason in it or not, seeing how this whole court case leaves the franchise on the chopping block.

Thank you, Jameson. Much appreciated. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the future of Friday. The legal case is reportedly nearing its conclusion and there are several companies circling the production rights of the films. Whenever the case is settled I am sure we'll start hearing news soon after. 

17 minutes ago, damnenchiladas said:

Thank you, Jameson. Much appreciated. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the future of Friday. The legal case is reportedly nearing its conclusion and there are several companies circling the production rights of the films. Whenever the case is settled I am sure we'll start hearing news soon after. 

Awesome. I was worried, this was big news last summer then nothing. Got real silent, with no updates which blows my mind considering how big the name is. Just glad to hear that glimmer of hope, and hope that they don't split the franchise name from jason's likeness. That would be a total bummer. It isn't Friday the 13th without Mr. Voorhees!

@damnenchiladas

Just noticed some emails about updates on the campaign and checked it out. Congratulations man! 50k! That's pretty fucking awesome considering anyone can just watch the movie for free. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

@damnenchiladas, where does this take place in the timeline? It seems to me like it could take place inbetween "Jason Lives" and "New Blood" in an alternate reality where Jason manages to get out of the lake. 

1 hour ago, deathbat96777 said:

@damnenchiladas, where does this take place in the timeline? It seems to me like it could take place inbetween "Jason Lives" and "New Blood" in an alternate reality where Jason manages to get out of the lake. 

Thanks. This film takes place in modern day after all of the events of the Paramount Era Friday the 13th films. Mostly everything in the New Line timelines was excluded. 

After the "The Manhattan Incident," Jason managed to take was was left of his melted, undead corpse and return to Crystal Lake. Upon his return, his new mask and clothes were completely shredded or gone.

His new clothes were recovered from a Vietnam vet drifter, think original John Rambo, who took up residence at the camp while Jason was away. The idea was that the vet actually died of natural causes and Jason stripped his corpse for clothing which explains the military style jacket and boots. 

He then found a new hockey mask in that was stored with some of the sports equipment that was left behind from the 60's. This was based on the Christie Family's attempts to reopen the camp in 62 and 67 which were met with sabotage by Pamelas attempts of poisoning the water supply and setting fires. It was assumed the equipment brought there during that time was stored away somewhere in the camp since they already paid for it and figured it could be use when the camp eventually opened. 

On 4/19/2018 at 3:18 PM, Truth said:

@damnenchiladas

Just noticed some emails about updates on the campaign and checked it out. Congratulations man! 50k! That's pretty fucking awesome considering anyone can just watch the movie for free. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Thank you! Technically we only take home a little less than 50K bc of the fees involved with crowdfunding but we were just as surprised as you that the campaign did so well. 

Thank you everyone who contributed and know that we are hard at work getting everything ready for the deliveries that will happen later this year just in time for Halloween season in Aug-Sept. 

4 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

New movie???

Yep! Mythos: A Friday the 13th Fan Film and it will have Vince Desanti as the AP!

• Like 1

Hahah thanks guys. Mythos is Directed by Jeremy Brown and his team at Brownspace films. They brought me in to consult as a co-producer and kick the tires on some of the ideas they have going. It is a lot of fun to take a step back and contribute from the outside and help guide other fans along the path of following their own fan film goals.

Mythos has a unique look at Jason and what he is. Jason Brooks is the actor they have playing Jason and he is great. Very dedicated to the role and pays attention to detail. We spent a lot of time working together during his scenes and making sure the part 6 portrayal feels authentic. 

This team is going to put together a solid trailer and then hit the crowdfunding circuit to help finish the film. I'll be sure to post more info here when its available and will probably create its own thread. 

I should also mention one of the campers in the film is none other than the one and only Bugsy Hoffa!

7 hours ago, damnenchiladas said:

Hahah thanks guys. Mythos is Directed by Jeremy Brown and his team at Brownspace films. They brought me in to consult as a co-producer and kick the tires on some of the ideas they have going. It is a lot of fun to take a step back and contribute from the outside and help guide other fans along the path of following their own fan film goals.

Mythos has a unique look at Jason and what he is. Jason Brooks is the actor they have playing Jason and he is great. Very dedicated to the role and pays attention to detail. We spent a lot of time working together during his scenes and making sure the part 6 portrayal feels authentic. 

This team is going to put together a solid trailer and then hit the crowdfunding circuit to help finish the film. I'll be sure to post more info here when its available and will probably create its own thread. 

I should also mention one of the campers in the film is none other than the one and only Bugsy Hoffa!

Man I would love to play Jason one day! I'm about 6 foot 2 or 6 foot 3 but I neesa gain some weight and start lifting more lol!

Fans like me will never die as F13 is my absolute favorite franchise in any horror movie