Chad Kensington – Counselor Overview

Friday-the-13th-the-game-Poster-2.jpg

That guy you love to hate. Chad is the resident douche nozzle and a valuable team player…when he’s not leaving you behind in the car.

Composure:           1

Luck:                      10

Repair:                   2

Speed:                     9

Stamina:                 4

Stealth:                   6

Strength:                3

Pushing Advantages:

Chad is the luckiest guy at the lake. Luck plays into so many different things, affecting them in small ways, but the biggest boon for the resident douche at Crystal Lake is the buff to weapon durability. Chad can get a ton of swings from any weapon and that makes him a highly useful fighter.

His bad Strength means he is not the best suited for de-masking. When your weapon lasts this long, and you have the Speed to maneuver quickly after a cheeky hit, who cares? Chad was that guy everyone assumed would suck when the game released, then found out that he is an excellent melee character.

In regards to Speed, Chad is lightning fast. His top speed is superior to most counselors, though he lacks meaningful Stamina to back it up. Chad is generally a sprinter and not a marathon runner like Vanessa.

Finally, Chad has good Stealth. It’s not bad nor is it fantastic. It does a reasonable job of keeping his sound pings down. Chad can pair up with fixers jogging near objectives and watch their backs…or steal their cars. It is Chad after all.

Mitigating Weaknesses:

Chad is about as composed as someone having a nervous breakdown. He freaks out quickly, but at least he gets himself back under control decently fast if he can catch a lit spot to rest. If Jason shows up, Chad will fall apart quickly. At least his superior Luck allows him to have a reduced chance to stumble due to his panic attacks. His propensity for Fear accumulation will mean that short of using hiding spots or perks, Jason will sense him fairly easily. Always have somewhere to avoid Jason within sprint distance.

Chad won’t be fixing much so understand that you’re probably going to fall into the role of fighter. While Chad CAN run a part fast, he doesn’t have the Stamina to run it far like Buggzy or Vanessa. Short and quick deliveries work best.

Basic Strategy:

1. Chad is a cornered rat. Play him that way. Load up on combat perks and let that enhanced weapon durability shine…at least for short encounters.

2. Ambush tactics or group mobbing tactics work best when fighting Jason. Chad’s Composure sucks and he’ll get panicked quickly. Stick and move – watch your “buddies” backs so objectives can get done.

3. Get proficient at using counselor combat stance. If your Stamina fails you (and at a measly 4 it will), the high Speed means nothing. Be ready to fight and evade (all those quick stuns and window hops add up to Stamina boosts that Chad needs). Go for high stun weapons to present yourself a better opportunity to get away. Leave the de-masking to higher Strength characters if you can.

4. Manage your Fear. Generally, there really aren’t many reasons for Chad to leave his flashlight off – mitigate that Fear as much as possible. Your luck will save you in many instances from stumbles and whatnot, but being the easiest target to find on the map is not pleasant. It is also terrible running around with your field of view obstructed and mini-map gone because Jason is tunneling you and Chad has a load in his shorts.

5. Normally I wouldn’t advocate boosting big weaknesses with perks (only median stats or higher), but beyond Speed and Luck, Chad has little else. You will probably want to have at least one perk to bump your Stamina in some way. That monstrous Speed screams out for a bigger gas tank...or a faster filling one.

6. Jason finds Chad easily compared to most counselors. Expect to fight. Perk up to fight and evade in order to counter that low Composure and Stamina. Battle Chad is better Chad. ~cue Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor.

Top 10 Suggested Perk Choices (no particular order of significance):

1. Evasion

2. Adrenaline Rush

3. Night Owl

4. Medic

5. Thick Skinned

6. Man at Arms

7. Restful

8. Marathon

9. Sucker Punch

10. Heavy Hitter

**This is by no means a definitive way to play Chad, but it can get you started on an effective set-up and allow you to figure out your own playstyle. Thanks for stopping by and best of luck as always.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@Alkavian Where's Swift Attacker? Chad does good with it too.

He is quite good with any fighting perk. I'm trying to keep the perk suggestions brief, but I feel swinging slightly faster was probably the easiest one to drop, and keep the list to ten suggestions. If I had to "fit" it in, I'd drop Adrenaline Rush and swap it for Swift Attacker. :) Of the combat perks for Chad, I feel it is the least needed, but that certainly doesn't mean it is not useful. Play as you see fit!

12 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Great breakdown of Chad, the only thing I would add is in regards to the perks list. Nerves of Steel should be on there due to his vulnerability to Fear, and the loss of mini map being its most significant effect on him, given that stamina regen penalty is mitigated by hits on Jason (approx. half stamina bar per hit) so his Luck indirectly allows him to maintain stamina for a good while. Mini map is most important to observe Shift trajectory. 

I would replace Adrenaline Rush with Nerves of Steel in that case, since it only has an effect providing you escape Jason's grab. Which just isn't going to happen 99% of the time without a pocket knife against Jason who can just activate choke / decap and be done with it. It's the least valuable perk in that regard.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Great breakdown of Chad, the only thing I would add is in regards to the perks list. Nerves of Steel should be on there due to his vulnerability to Fear, and the loss of mini map being its most significant effect on him,

An excellent suggestion. Adrenaline Rush is situational much like Nerves of Steel, but it is a situation (loss of mini-map) Chad will find himself in often enough.:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alkavian said:

An excellent suggestion. Adrenaline Rush is situational much like Nerves of Steel, but it is a situation (loss of mini-map) Chad will find himself in often enough.:)

Thanks, keep up the great work man! Everyone can learn a lot from these guides.

11 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Thanks, keep up the great work man! Everyone can learn a lot from these guides.

Will do. Some updated information on Sense will be inbound. It is a really big task to get people together for the testing (different work shifts/different countries and time zones:P). We've done the legwork of Sense neutral versus Fear 0 counselor. Still have to do +Sense and - Sense versus Fear 0 counselor. After all that, then we have to figure out how Fear impacts the baseline.

2 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Will do. Some updated information on Sense will be inbound. It is a really big task to get people together for the testing. We've done the legwork of Sense neutral versus Fear 0 counselor. Still have to do +Sense and - Sense versus Fear 0 counselor. After all that, then we have to figure out how Fear impacts the baseline.

Yeah it is a big task, it's why I hadn't got around to it since our discussion a while ago. Very interested in your results, did you try the suggestions I made in regards to testing it? Especially curious if the Rage meter is tied to Sense range expansion after all.

Just now, Tommy86 said:

Yeah it is a big task, it's why I hadn't got around to it since our discussion a while ago. Very interested in your results, did you try the suggestions I made in regards to testing it? Especially curious if the Rage meter is tied to Sense range expansion after all.

Did a mix of things. Had to innovate in some instances since the results were a bit surprising.  I can tell you that Rage does not affect expansion as far as I can tell. It is a set rate pre-rage. Still have to test buildings too. The one set of tests ate up several hours and I spent several more normalizing the results and making calculations. Now I'm getting a sanity check from the others to make sure I didn't make a mistake or fail to account for something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Did a mix of things. Had to innovate in some instances since the results were a bit surprising.  I can tell you that Rage does not affect expansion as far as I can tell. It is a set rate pre-rage. Still have to test buildings too. The one set of tests ate up several hours and I spent several more normalizing the results and making calculations. Now I'm getting a sanity check from the others to make sure I didn't make a mistake or fail to account for something.

Ok well many thanks for putting in the work, look forward to reading it all. That's good to know the Rage variable can be crossed off the list too.

18 hours ago, Alkavian said:

**This is by no means a definitive way to play Chad, but it can get you started on an effective set-up and allow you to figure out your own playstyle. Thanks for stopping by and best of luck as always.

Thank you for this write up. I just recently switched over to the Chadster for running in games, I was tired of being a fixer. I am enjoy the change, but with this little write up I can adjust my perks to fit a better play style for him and (hopefully) survive better.

• Like 1

I have thought of some strategies regarding what to destroy as Jason. I haven´t tested all of them, so opinions of their usefulness is appreciated. If building, room or outdoor area has, lets say, 2-3 hiding places, then destroy everything but one. No one shouldn´t be that dumb to hide at only hiding place. For example those two hiding places located at left and right side of the Higgins Havens barn entrance is godd example to apply this strategy. I would also guess, that destroying hiding places near windows used for looping is good strategy. A cabin next to car is obviously used for shelter, so that should be destroyed more thoroughly. Another good thing to do is to break holes to doors which can´t be barricaded. This way you can quickly see if someone tries to hide in the room and you can quickly destroy them when needed. Also, do destroy radios as early as possible. Is this "selective destroying" strategy something that could use more extensive research?

@Mr. HK 92

Destroying hiding spots is not a bad idea for early game preparation. It is better suited to use as a strategy against disorganized randoms.

Against organized groups it could eat up valuable time that might be better directed towards breaking up their plays. The clock is always working against Jason. Also you should consider how much time you are allowing counselors to dig in and prepare for confrontation.

I'd say give it a go in QP. I'd be cautious in a private lobby. I'm sure you'll get a feel pretty quick if it may be effective or if you need to abandon the strategy for plan "B". 😉

I personally don't destroy hiding spots because I sometimes want them to use it instead of running from me. If there are a lot of hiding spots, what I do is walk around a bit and then walk outside. Turn on stalk and then they'll eventually come out of their hiding place. This is where you can surprise them.

On 12/10/2017 at 11:41 PM, Alkavian said:

I feel that Nerves of Steel is undervalued.  When asking other player or reading post of perk choice, many leave NoS off.  Keeping the mini-map at all times is invaluable, especially if your counselor has low composure and you're expected to be around Jason often.

• Like 1

Does Nerves of Steel also keep your stamina bar, or is it just the mini-map that stays? 

I could see myself using it on several counselors if the stamina bar stayed. However if it is just the mini-map, I feel like people with good sense of direction could overcome the loss of mini-map.

9 hours ago, Raskkii said:

Does Nerves of Steel also keep your stamina bar, or is it just the mini-map that stays? 

I could see myself using it on several counselors if the stamina bar stayed. However if it is just the mini-map, I feel like people with good sense of direction could overcome the loss of mini-map.

I believe that it is just the mini-map that stays.

Tiffany Cox – Counselor Overview

d1d9fc134d0e67c724b802e4eb8ef5b6_origina

What can you say? Every 80’s horror movie needs its eye candy. If her shorts were any shorter, the surprise would be out after the first window hop. Let’s look at the flirty girl.

Composure:           3

Luck:                      4

Repair:                   1

Speed:                     6

Stamina:                 9

Stealth:                   10

Strength:                2

Pushing Advantages:

Tiffany has superior Stealth. She is good for not generating noise pings. Stealth is a marginally useful stat since it is generally only helpful in the early game before Jason’s Sense range expands and if the Stealth character can take advantage of working an objective while he is farther away. Take advantage of the first 5-8 minutes of a match to bring parts where they need to go quickly and quietly.

Endurance with Tiff is not a problem. The plentiful pool of Stamina means that she can run the distance even if she won’t be doing it at Vanessa speeds. The huge Stamina pool is also good in regards to other Stamina burning actions such as combat. I also suspect that huge Stamina pool made her popular with the guys at the camp…

Her Speed is slightly better than average, but more than enough to make her effective at opening up distance and bringing items where they need to go reasonably fast.

Mitigating Weaknesses:

Tiffany has really bad Strength, Repair, and Composure. She won’t be good for de-masking, fixing anything short of a broken nail, and she’ll panic quite quickly. Not Chad bad, but it is a concern.

Focus on doing what she does best. Run parts and items where they need to go. Do this fast in the early part of the game when her Stealth is the most useful. Support fixer characters by watching their backs.

Kite Jason away if need be, but like Chad, break contact fast and find a place to regain your Composure.

Her Luck is not great. Bad Luck combined with bad Strength means she best leaves fighting to other characters unless she is breaking a friend out of a grab. Evade and deliver. It is what she does best.

Basic Strategy:

1. Run parts where they need to go early in the match. Take advantage of Stealth while it is useful in those early minutes.

2. Mitigate her bad Composure with Sense avoidance perks. In the late game, her massive Stamina will be helpful, but even Tiff can get worn down while Jason is hot on her heels. High Fear will devastate your Stamina regeneration, so it is best to not be noticed by Sense as much as possible. Keep your flashlight on when Jason is not around to help keep Fear under control.

3. Run at least one perk to help her Stamina. It is her strongest point; despite Stealth being higher.

4. Fight if you have to, but I’d advise against it.

5. Outside your role as a FedEx driver, I’d suggest you find niche things to do to assist the team once the match progresses and your Stealth is not as useful. Make the phone call with My Dad’s a Cop. Fix (rather attempt it and fail) power generators to distract Jason. Tank traps, heal, and vanish quickly. Bring weapons/items to objectives so other characters can pick them up to fight if pushing the objective hard. Go get the sweater at an opportune time.

1. Level Headed

2. Low Profile

3. My Dad’s a Cop

4. Medic

5. Thick Skinned

6. Homebody

7. Restful

8. Marathon

9. Nerves of Steel

10. Lone Wolf

**This is by no means a definitive way to play Tiffany, but it can get you started on an effective set-up and allow you to figure out your own playstyle. Thanks for stopping by and best of luck as always.

• Like 3

The main thing about Tiffany is that you're supposed to deliver parts to the "other" objectives while noisy fast people like Vanessa or Chad focus on the four-seater/phone box. Mobs can protect others for the bigger objectives, but the two-seater/boat is rarely defended by Jason religiously because only two people can use them.

As Tiffany, gather the parts, and troll Jason by purposely messing up a repair on the two-seater car to make Jason think the four-seater is being worked on. You'll need a map to make sure you're not accidentally getting a teamate killed near the four-seater, but if you can send Jason false information then that buys you more time as well as forces Jason to blow a Morph on the four-seater that didn't have anyone nearby. This can backfire if Jason happened to be near the four-seater at the time, in which case it'll warn Jason someone is working on the two-seater. But even then Tiffany still has the athleticism to screw with Jason long enough for her teammates to make crucial repairs of their own. Not exactly Vanessa level, but Jason isn't going to have fun dealing with you kiting him around a bench/rock/table/etc.

You can also screw with Jason by purposely failing a repair check on an smashed electrical box, making Jason think someone is working on the battery at the four-seater or the two-seater, something that is useful if no one is currently near a car. This also helps if you need to force Jason to back off your teammates by making it look like someone is trying to repair the two/four seater if Jason doesn't already know the battery was already repaired on it. Bring up the full map, and take a quick look to see which car(s) already has the battery repaired, because if the four-seater has already had its battery fixed then Jason will check the two-seater if given the opportunity.

Long story short, spreading false information to Jason while making sure it doesn't put teammate's in harm's way is useful, and when you combine that with a stealthy chick who is fast (and can grab the sweater if you know Jason blew his Morph), you can have fun times. It's for this reason I can't stress enough that you pick the Prepardness perk; starting off with a full map PLUS fear reduction is an overall win. Nerves of Steel is also a good idea because she panics quickly like Chad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trident77 said:

Long story short, spreading false information to Jason while making sure it doesn't put teammate's in harm's way is useful, and when you combine that with a stealthy chick who is fast (and can grab the sweater if you know Jason blew his Morph), you can have fun times. It's for this reason I can't stress enough that you pick the Prepardness perk; starting off with a full map PLUS fear reduction is an overall win. Nerves of Steel is also a good idea because she panics quickly like Chad.

Yup, that's her in a nutshell. Tiff is not a new player friendly character (IMO), but she is a pain in the hands of a crafty and innovative player who can anticipate Jason AND undermine his efforts consistently. You need to know what you are doing and be able to think fast, on the fly,  and find little ways to always be helping the team. As you noted, Preparedness is a very handy perk as well. Situational awareness is essential to using her effectively; probably more so than many other counselors.

• Thanks 1

THE BASICS OF SENSE – Revised and Simplified.

After doing some extensive testing (8+ hours) of Jason’s Sense ability. I decided to put together a quick article, for those not interested in the numbers, on how Sense works in-game. So here is what you need to know.

1. All Jasons share what I will refer to as a “base detection range” or “BDR”. This BDR is the same for all Jasons regardless of the strength of their Sense ability.

2. The BDR starts out at the same range as Jason’s music and continues to expand throughout the match. If you can hear Jason’s music you are in his BDR; even at the start of a match.

3. Fear has nothing to do with the BDR. It is very binary. If you are in the BDR, he WILL Sense you regardless of your Fear level.

4. If you are outside his BDR, he WILL NOT Sense you regardless of your Fear level.

5. When Rage initiates, Jason gets a one-time bump to his BDR. This is based on his Sense strength. The BDR will expand instantly to a much larger radius at Rage; then it will continue to expand as the match progresses just like it did pre-Rage.

6. Any counselor in the BDR when Jason activates Sense will be detected AND “marked”. The marked effect allows Jason to track counselors while Sense is active if they leave his BDR. How far Jason can see a “marked” counselor is dependent on their Fear level.

7. At maximum Fear, Jason can continue to track a marked counselor, who has left his BDR, no matter how far they run. A counselor physically cannot move far enough away to break the lock at maximum Fear. Jason’s Sense ability will drain before it happens.

8. If Jason turns off Sense while tracking a marked counselor, then re-activates it again, he WILL LOSE the track unless they re-enter the BDR.

9. Pre-Rage Jason WILL NOT detect a counselor hiding in a hiding spot that is inside his BDR. Post-Rage Jason WILL detect any counselor, regardless if they use a hiding spot, inside his BDR.

10. Sense avoidance perks work against Jason’s RNG while in the BDR. They are the only way to avoid Sense post-Rage. They are the only way to avoid Sense detection inside the BDR, excluding hiding spots, at any time during the match.

A few notes on Composure:

Many people seem to think that Composure has diminishing returns as the match progresses. This is NOT TRUE. Composure affects Fear gain/loss. At high Fear, Stamina regenerates slowly, counselors stumble more often, and cry out when Jason is nearby. Additionally, counselors with lower Fear can break out of Jason’s grab much easier than those at higher Fear levels. Strength also plays into this.

In a nutshell, Composure really has nothing to do with Sense. You WILL NOT be sensed easier by having low Composure. If you are in the BDR, running no avoidance perks and not hiding, you WILL BE SEEN regardless of Composure. This is true for any time during the match and at ANY FEAR LEVEL. If you are not in the BDR you WON’T BE SEEN! When people say it has diminishing returns it makes me chuckle a bit because the mechanics at play are not fundamentally negated by any other mechanic. Composure is actually very consistently useful. Now Stealth…not so much so. Sense will undermine Stealth.

As always, thanks for dropping by! Happy Holidays! I’m on vacation tomorrow so I won’t be posting any articles until I get back. I believe Adam Palomino is next up on the Counselor Overviews.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Alkavian You did it, you figured out Sense. Awesome work. I read the full in-depth post a few pages back, very interesting results. It turns out that out of the possible scenarios I mentioned, this one proved to be somewhat correct -

On 28/09/2017 at 4:48 AM, Tommy86 said:

The Net expands at a fixed rate within the 20 minute match, making time the only factor. With Rage accumulation having a variable timeframe, its activation would act as an override for whatever stage the Net's size is currently at, instantly increasing it to max.

Except instead of Rage increasing the size to max, it increases it from 150-200% based on the Sense trait and continues growing (although -Sense having a larger bump than neutral is very odd). 

It is especially surprising to find that Fear manages the distance of how far Sense can track a counselor once they exit the BDR (providing it is kept active). Rather than if a counselor will be Sensed within the range or not as we speculated earlier.

Anyway I'll keep this brief as I know you'd prefer to discuss it elsewhere, but I think all the questions in regards to Sense have largely been answered now. Impressive work (including the measurement system which will continue to prove useful). Happy Holidays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

@Alkavian You did it, you figured out Sense. Awesome work. I read the full in-depth post a few pages back, very interesting results. It turns out that out of the possible scenarios I mentioned, this one proved to be somewhat correct -

Except instead of Rage increasing the size to max, it increases it from 150-200% based on the Sense trait and continues growing (although -Sense having a larger bump than neutral is very odd). 

It is especially surprising to find that Fear manages the distance of how far Sense can track a counselor once they exit the BDR (providing it is kept active). Rather than if a counselor will be Sensed within the range or not as we speculated earlier.

Anyway I'll keep this brief as I know you'd prefer to discuss it elsewhere, but I think all the questions in regards to Sense have largely been answered now. Impressive work (including the measurement system which will continue to prove useful). Happy Holidays.

Thanks. Your speculation was quite close. I'm still curious if there is a directional aspect, but that will be easy to check at a later time. Take care and Happy Holidays. 😁

• Thanks 1