57 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

When you are choosing a counselor, and how to perk them up, I would suggest to figure out what you want to accomplish and pick the counselor best suited for the job, then choose perks that enhance STRENGTHS in stats, not weaknesses. Putting marathon on a counselor with very low Stamina is probably a waste of a perk slot, but it is entirely up to the user.

The only thing I want offer an alternative opinion on. Improving weaknesses can be beneficial for instance if you place a high % Marathon perk on a repair counselor. This means they will be able to do their job more efficiently since they will have better mobility to get from objective to objective. 

5 ways to get free hits on jason (effective mask removal) 

1 - Pocket knife animation while he is stunned will get you 2 fast machete hits

2 - Firecracker animation while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits

3- Jason's kill animation - while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits (may cause damage not really tested it)

4 - Jasons trap animation - again some quicks hits while stunned

5- Sucker punch perk (melee hit stun) - standing stun should also get you some hits in

As long as you hear that 'sqeesh' noise when you hit him, he is taking damage and will only need 3-4 hits to get his mask off. I saw one guy throw firecrackers at jason, while jason was stunned he went in and done 3 fast machete hits and his mask come off while stunned. Awesome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarageNation said:

2 - Firecracker animation while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits

3- Jasons kill animation - while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits 

5- Sucker punch perk (melee hit stun) - may cause damage not tested it though.

As long as you hear that 'sqeesh' noise when you hit him, he is taking damage and will only need 3-4 hits to get his mask off. I saw one guy throw firecrackers at jason, while jason was stunned he went in and done 3 fast machete hits and his mask come off while stunned. Awesome

If you're going for a Jason kill it is always nice to know how to deal him damage while minimizing your risk of getting killed. ?

7 hours ago, Alkavian said:

If you're going for a Jason kill it is always nice to know how to deal him damage while minimizing your risk of getting killed. ?

Yup, I think bugzy, adam and tommy are the main fighters and they should be using their equipment (crackers/knife) to fight jason instead of using them to try and escape all the time ... leave the repair/escape to the nerd/chick characters.

So hitting Jason while he's stunned or even doing a grab kill still counts as damage towards removing his mask?

1 hour ago, DamonD7 said:

So hitting Jason while he's stunned or even doing a grab kill still counts as damage towards removing his mask?

Yup, I can guarantee fircrackers, bear trap, pocket knife and melee stun activation (sucker punch perk)  will put him in stun animation and he will take damage while he is unable to move, I'm not 100% with the grab kill animation but as long as you hear that 'squish' noise he should be taking damage, I need to test it more with bugzy. 

Firecrackers are the best their like a flashbang for jason .... don't use them to escape, use them to attack!, 2-3 hits with bugzy while jason is flashbanged with firecrackers will get his mask off in under 10 seconds.

I also use vanessa as she is the hardest hitting female (firecrackers/stun/hit/mask off .... then off to jasons shack)

WEEK 7

A HUNTING WE WILL GO… - Non-Metagame Trapping with Jason

In an earlier piece, I wrote about defying the existing metagame and using that to your advantage. I thought I might revisit that idea a bit in regards to the placement of Jasons’ traps. Traps are a valuable objective control resource for our resident goalie and we all probably know the routine by now. Trap the phone, trap the battery on the 4-seater, and trap the gas inlet on the 4-seater. This is the established metagame. For some Jason’s, traps are a highly limited resource (Part 4, Part 7, and Part 9), so you may want to be cautious about trying some of these things I’m about to say unless you are very confident in your abilities to stay on top of objectives.

Here are some suggestions for placing traps in non-metagame places. When you catch counselors with these, you’ll probably giggle a bit to yourself, and expect to hear accusations of noobery and denigration of your skills. Embrace the salty goodness and watch the tantrums fly.

83734693.gif

1. If you find the power generator that powers the Jarvis radio, and you know they haven’t called him yet, break the box and put a trap in front of the generator. You want Tommy? You’re going to have pay for it with resources and pain.

2. If a counselor drops a bunch of stuff when killed (especially in the woods), put a trap down near the items (not on them). Gently nudge the counselor’s body onto the trap. Many people will plow right over their dead buddy to get the goodies on the ground. If it is a decently trafficked area, your fishing may pay off.

3. When at a 2 storied house, put a trap under the upstairs window of bedrooms facing shortest escape avenues to a nearby structure. You can often chase people upstairs and have them jump out a window to escape you. They take damage from the fall, and sometimes, the trap will finish them off for you. Good way to stop those jumpers banking on using a med spray to heal up after landing. Also saves you the trouble of wasting a morph to go after them.

4. Packanack Lodge, in particular, has a nice little window on the first floor to consider trapping. The kitchen window is a common looping window used to evade Jason. If you get a spawn where the phone and the car are near the lodge, consider trapping that kitchen window too. You’ll often catch people unaware and make your life easier.

5. Place traps on the far side of the little wooden walkway bridges from an objective. If you morph to an objective, sometimes counselors will bolt down the path and run across those little bridges to get clear of your arrival. Having a nuisance trap in middle of the path on the far side of the bridge can be a fun way of slowing them down.

6. Place traps at the corners of main buildings that counselors will often loop through are travel to because vehicle parts are often there. The boat house on Crystal Lake (side with the white fence) comes to mind. Many people will barrel around that corner near the water and not even pay attention that a trap is sitting there waiting.

7. Trap the map stand. Many times people will run up to get the guaranteed map and not even pay attention to the ground around it.

anigif_enhanced-20110-1419291133-7.gif

As always, have fun and play how you want to play. If you have an extra trap and want to mess with people consider some of these as options (Part 2 Jason lovers take note). Many people don’t want to “waste” their traps, but I find the occasional nuisance trap to be pure gold. Nothing quite salts the fields like someone getting caught in a trap outside the established norms and you teleporting there to give them three fingers-two knuckles deep. Tell them to, “bite the pillow” for extra chance of rage quitting.:lol:

Good luck! If any of you have some choice places that traps can work outside the normal metagame locations, please share them!

EDIT: Also note I did not necessarily come up with these ideas first. Some occurred to me on my own, and some I've observed other crafty Jason's employ. I love out-of-the-box thinking, and many of these ideas fit that role nicely.

• Like 2

OUT OF SHAPE, OUT OF LIFE… - Stamina management

In this game, the Stamina that you have is often a metaphor for your “health bar”. Jason is lethal in a way that rivals bringing your girlfriend home late to a father who adores his little girl, his gun collection, and hates the fact you exist on this planet to waste his air. When your Stamina depletes, it is often “GAME OVER”; insert more quarters to continue.

ReQmk_s-200x150.gif

The challenge of Stamina management is something that newer players overlook and it results in a lot of painfully frustrating; short games. Here are a few things you may want to consider if you're new:

1. Stamina pools vary in size dependent on a counselor’s Stamina statistic. As a rule of thumb, statistic scores of 1-4 are LOW, 5-6 are AVERAGE, and 7-10 are HIGH. Keep this in mind when choosing a counselor.

2. Standing still is the most effective way to let your Stamina recharge. Crouching does not increase your Stamina recharge rate (it simply allows any counselor to move without generating noise pings). There are Perks that will alter these generalizations (and many people run them).

3. You will burn little Stamina when “walking”. Jogging burns Stamina at a median rate and is probably the most common movement speed you should use. Running burns Stamina quickly. Be conservative about running unless you have to. Swimming and fast swimming burn Stamina very quickly. I would not suggest you use fast swim because you will be exhausted quickly; even with a high Stamina character.

4. Certain actions in game will give a small “bump” to your Stamina.

a. Climbing through a window

b. Stunning Jason with a melee attack

c. Escaping from a grab

5. Using actual hiding spots will drastically recharge your Stamina pool. When Jason is not around you can use them for a quick top off.

6. Sitting in the car or boat also recharges your Stamina quickly.

7. Use Perks to improve your Stamina. I would recommend those that increase the recharge rate over those that increase the total amount of Stamina if you are perking up a counselor with a LOW Stamina stat. Increasing the total pool on a counselor that recharges their Stamina slowly is a very short-term benefit compared to one that consistently has a faster recharge rate.

8. Keep your Fear level down. Stamina regeneration slows drastically when counselors are at a higher level of Fear (even those with a good Stamina stat). TURN ON YOUR FLASHLIGHT. Your Stamina will recover faster because the Fear accumulation is being counter-acted by the light source.

9. Always have plan to move to your next secure location. Consider where you’ll have time to stop and take a break to allow Stamina recovery. Keep an eye on how much you have. I’d recommend you have at least a half bar for counselors with average or high Stamina; ¾ of a bar for counselors with low Stamina if you have to evade Jason.

10. Consider the map you are playing. Stamina is more easily conserved on the small maps. The new Jarvis map is certainly a marathon map when considering distances. If you are playing a low Stamina character on it, you better be very cautious on where (and how fast) you choose to move. Don’t get caught out in the open with an empty gas tank.

rs_500x281-140729084658-ca290b14878f7fa7

Best of luck to you. If you’re new just be mindful of your Stamina state at all times. It is easy in the heat of the moment to lose track and find yourself down a certain creek without a paddle when Jason comes looking for you. This game can be very unforgiving of small mistakes…that is part of what makes it challenging and fun when you get the hang of the mechanics.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 6:48 PM, GarageNation said:

3- Jason's kill animation - while he is stunned will get you 2-3 fast machete hits (may cause damage not really tested it)

5- Sucker punch perk (melee hit stun) - standing stun should also get you some hits in

Not anymore. This was patched. 

22 minutes ago, SnakeSound222 said:

Not anymore. This was patched. 

Good to know as well.

10 hours ago, Alkavian said:

5. Using actual hiding spots will drastically recharge your Stamina pool. When Jason is not around you can use them for a quick top off.

Firstly excellent post as usual. Lot of good information here. This bit that I've quoted I can't recommend enough actually, and something I rarely see players do but is so helpful. All that's required is to pop in a closet or under a bed for a second for a huge stamina recharge. I do it all the time, come out good as new.

Also something seemingly obvious, but worth mentioning since I see players make this mistake all the time - never sprint from Jason when he is chasing you. He will not catch up to you unless your stamina is depleted or you are crippled, even running Jasons won't catch up. Simply keep jogging and just sprint when you know he is Shifting. This way you can better manage your stamina. Out in the open, your best bet for a stamina boost is to get a hit on him, which is another reason to become proficient in combat.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 6:48 PM, GarageNation said:

I thought they fixed the bug where you could damage Jason during stun a long time ago? Also, I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch doesn't even work. I've heard it actually reduces stun chance, like Grease Monkey used to for car starting times.

9 hours ago, MichaelMemers said:

1. I thought they fixed the bug where you could damage Jason during stun a long time ago? Also, 2. I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch doesn't even work. I've heard it actually reduces stun chance, like Grease Monkey used to for car starting times.

1. Last patch they did some fixes, if you consider 7 days ago a long time. :huh: The patch that originally brought the "push button to break window" animation brought the damage during stuns thing.;)

2. I don't know about Sucker Punch. I never use it myself. Perhaps someone who uses it can elaborate?

WEEK 8

THEY’RE SO PERKY…figuring out what perks will be useful

We all have our preferred method of play. And just like at Burger King, we like to have things our way in a video game. So, here we go again talking about customization. The perk system in F13 is certainly not my preferred means of doling out bonuses to modify a character. I sincerely hope it is revisited and changed to be a bit more effective; but let’s look at it as it is shall we?

The random aspect of the system means that a tremendous amount of earned resources are spent gambling a random chance to get something good. In the current system we have several rarities of perks, with only Rare and Epic perks generally offering a bonus significant enough to warrant use. On top of the random issue (luck), and need for Rare and Epic bonuses, you do have a chance of rolling a perk that is so circumstantial as to be effectively useless. We only get 3 perk slots. Would you really use 33% of your customization to speedily barricade a door? Even if it is Epic! No. Probably not.

tourist_slot_machine__aa_hc.gif

Perks in F13 can be generally classified as:

1. Action Specific – Action specific perks only function when a player is taking a certain action and buff that action process. This could be crouching, barricading a door, entering or exiting a hiding spot, and increasing attack speed. You get the point.

2. Circumstance Specific – Circumstance specific perks apply when a counselor is placed in a specific situation within the game. For example, in darkness, or when hiding in a sleeping bag. These perks don’t buff a specific counselor model action, but rather help with the situation the counselor model is in within the environment.

3. Utility – These perks buff a specific action outcome or allow a counselor to start play with an item. Things like My Dad’s a Cop, Psychic, and Preparedness come to mind.

So which perks do we choose as relevant and which ones do you choose as irrelevant? Part of it is chosen play style, part of it is what counselor you choose, and part of it comes down to understanding how situational a perk is.

Most utility perks are very good because they guarantee starting with something in hand, or in your inventory, or they buff how potent an action outcome is. My Dad’s a Cop, as an example, shortens how long it takes for the police to arrive AFTER the call action is made.

Circumstance specific perks can be hit or miss, but they are useful if they augment your play style. Sense avoidance perks fall in this category. Some of these perks are a bit dubious in usefulness…the one that allows for less noise while swimming, I’m looking at you. Counselors generally don’t spend much time in the water as it is due to Jason having the overwhelming advantage (with no get out of jail free card to save them like on land). On the other hand some of the sense avoidance perks are pure gold.

Action specific perks buff an action the counselor is taking and can also be hit or miss. Swinging your melee weapon faster if you are a fighter/defender…yes please! Starting a car faster or performing a repair QTE faster? Sweet! Barricading a door faster or entering and exiting a hiding spot faster…ummm, too irrelevant based on the current game flow.

I think it is safe to say, after you play for a while, you’ll get the feel for how a match flows and how evading and operating within the mechanics work. It will quickly become obvious which perks are consistently useful to your playstyle and which ones are not.

As a tip:

1. Pick perks that you feel help you more often than not. I usually run Psychic on my fixers so I have a walkie-talkie from the start. It is easier to start coordinating repairs early and effectively.

2. Pick perks that are not so specific in utility that you have to go out of your way to use them during the course of a match. I forget the name, but there is a perk that allows faster Stamina regeneration if you are next to an activated radio. If you have to hunt for a radio that isn’t busted, turn it on, and hang out near it to help Stamina regeneration, you’ve probably picked a perk that is way too circumstantial. You could just pop into a hiding spot (anywhere on the map) and regain all your Stamina in about 5-7 seconds. Seriously.

3. Pick perks that augment your character’s strengths. I’m not saying you can’t buff weaknesses, but if you’re buffing a stat this is 4 or lower, the impact is very small. You may not get as much bang for your buck as you had hoped. It is all preference of course and feel free to play as you see fit.

In closing, assess perks based on their strength and what you want them to do to help your play style. Don’t confuse specific application with being useful though. Think about what it does and if it really matters to the way you play before you sacrifice 33% of your customization. Good luck as always!

200.gif

• Like 4

This be good material.

My two cents for perks is that there's a lot of good ones people tend to forget about since everyone rank thick skinned/medic/restful or some fighter variant with heavy hitter for the longest time.

Night Owl for instance is extremely useful either for trying to hide from Jason or keeping your cool while he's assaulting you. In-game one of the hugest fear factors is the darkness; you'll constantly be exposed to it, not to mention Jason will sabotage many cabins. And worse, you can't do much outside for long unless your name is Adam, A.J., Jenny, Mitch or Tommy before you start showing up on Jason's Sense radar. It's not as useful early on, but as the game continues Jason will continue to destroy many spots to hide, which eventually means having to confront this issue.

There are also some perks that are only useful if you have a certain tier of it (usually epic). Swift Attacker has to be near max for a counselor swinging a regular weapon to almost match Jason's attack/grab speed. Even then, baseball bats as well as axes still swing much slower, and since Jason can grab from a longer distance than you can connect it's still kind of a tricky perk to justify. I've been rocking a 19% attack speed bonus, and even that hasn't really done me much good in the long term. If they fixed Jason's grab reach then I could see this being an interesting pick when using a counselor who makes great usage of baseball bats as well as axes, but otherwise it's a perk I'm kinda leary of using nowadays.

Oh, and you can't go wrong with Medic/Hypochondriac. Realllllly nice to have enhanced heals.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

This be good material.

Thanks!

I try to keep this thread up and going to help new players. Any good advice added is most welcome.

On 10/18/2017 at 0:57 AM, MichaelMemers said:

I thought they fixed the bug where you could damage Jason during stun a long time ago? Also, I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch doesn't even work. I've heard it actually reduces stun chance, like Grease Monkey used to for car starting times.

Sucker Punch was patched.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 2:06 PM, mojitodominic said:

It all comes down to game awareness IMO the problem is that people just Rush to those drawers and don't even loot houses properly I've seen people hanging around with 3 pocket knives which I think is a waste for you and for your team.

I will pick up three pocket knives if I find them, but two of them will be used to pop a Jason trap. Usually because I don't trust anyone else to be selfless with them. 

On 10/22/2017 at 1:36 AM, Alien_Number_Six said:

Sucker Punch was patched.

Are you sure? It isn't mentioned in any patch notes.

Week 9:

BRRR…DO YOU FEEL A DRAFT?  Doors open or closed.

There have been a few posts floating around over the last few months regarding the strategy of either leaving doors open or closing them and barricading them. For some players, they seem to think they are playing “speed burglary” the game. This is largely in part to people desiring to find the most useful items quickly to secure an edge at the start of a match. Tentatively, some say they do it find parts quickly to work on objectives faster, but in practice this generally doesn’t happen. More often than not, important parts go unnoticed in the mad dash for more pocket knives. This is a fundamental teamwork failure and only a short term solution to a potentially 20 minute long problem.:)

Reasons to secure buildings as you go:

1. It offers you more safety as well as others who are moving about the map should they need a safe place to catch a breather/buy time. This becomes a critical help later in the match.

2. Secured buildings lower Fear while you are inside.

3. Barricaded doors slow Jason down and prevent Jason from entering a building with impunity (especially using Stalk or Shift).

4. Opening a window and climbing through is easy. It only takes about 5 seconds (faster if the window is already open). Jason cannot climb through windows. Why not make the one way he can get in a bit harder for him?

5. Methodically clearing a building means there is a better chance you will not miss key items.

**NOTE: Leaving "soft" doors that cannot be barricaded open is not really much of an issue, since Jason can break them down with one hit anyways (i.e. Packanack Main Lodge, Higgin's House, etc.) I would still close them if you have time to prevent a simple Shift into a building. Force Jason to break it down or open it. Don't let him in with no delay.

Tips:

1. Place bear traps OUTSIDE barricaded doors. Jason will have to step in the trap to break down the door. He can often step around a trap placed on the floor inside the door if the player is careful.

2. Do not lock internal doors unless you are entering a room with no exits. Close them if you like, especially if Jason is giving chase to prevent Shift-grabs, but don’t create hazards that will slow down other counselors trying to evade Jason inside a cabin.

3. Don’t lock external doors that cannot be barricaded. You are just trapping counselors outside with Jason!

Essentially, speed looting offers only a short term benefit to the counselor doing it and generally doesn’t facilitate good team work. More often than not, the lack of foresight ends up costing some poor bastard their life in the match as they try to get to safety and find they have been screwed over by a door being left open.

39 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Week 9:

BRRR…DO YOU FEEL A DRAFT?  Doors open or closed.

There have been a few posts floating around over the last few months regarding the strategy of either leaving doors open or closing them and barricading them. For some players, they seem to think they are playing “speed burglary” the game. This is largely in part to people desiring to find the most useful items quickly to secure an edge at the start of a match. Tentatively, some say they do it find parts quickly to work on objectives faster, but in practice this generally doesn’t happen. More often than not, important parts go unnoticed in the mad dash for more pocket knives. This is a fundamental teamwork failure and only a short term solution to a potentially 20 minute long problem.:)

Reasons to secure buildings as you go:

1. It offers you more safety as well as others who are moving about the map should they need a safe place to catch a breather/buy time. This becomes a critical help later in the match.

2. Secured buildings lower Fear while you are inside.

3. Barricaded doors slow Jason down and prevent Jason from entering a building with impunity (especially using Stalk or Shift).

4. Opening a window and climbing through is easy. It only takes about 5 seconds (faster if the window is already open). Jason cannot climb through windows. Why not make the one way he can get in a bit harder for him?

5. Methodically clearing a building means there is a better chance you will not miss key items.

**NOTE: Leaving "soft" doors that cannot be barricaded open is not really much of an issue, since Jason can break them down with one hit anyways (i.e. Packanack Main Lodge, Higgin's House, etc.) I would still close them if you have time to prevent a simple Shift into a building. Force Jason to break it down or open it. Don't let him in with no delay.

Tips:

1. Place bear traps OUTSIDE barricaded doors. Jason will have to step in the trap to break down the door. He can often step around a trap placed on the floor inside the door if the player is careful.

2. Do not lock internal doors unless you are entering a room with no exits. Close them if you like, especially if Jason is giving chase to prevent Shift-grabs, but don’t create hazards that will slow down other counselors trying to evade Jason inside a cabin.

3. Don’t lock external doors that cannot be barricaded. You are just trapping counselors outside with Jason!

Essentially, speed looting offers only a short term benefit to the counselor doing it and generally doesn’t facilitate good team work. More often than not, the lack of foresight ends up costing some poor bastard their life in the match as they try to get to safety and find they have been screwed over by a door being left open.

These are great tips for the uninitiated. People never seem to understand why I place the traps outside the door, even after I explain it to them.

I've even seen someone spring one of my traps and place it indoors! Noobs...

• Like 1

I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere before, but if a character has a stat at 10 and equips a perk that boosts that stat, is it increased further or is it basically capped at 10?

1 hour ago, Hell Toupee said:

I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere before, but if a character has a stat at 10 and equips a perk that boosts that stat, is it increased further or is it basically capped at 10?

Think of stat scores as narrow ranges. Not all SAME scores are equal. As an example, Tommy has 10 stealth, but is essentially silent except when he swims. AJ is 10 stealth but makes more noise than Tommy unmodified by Perks. With the right Perks AJ can be as quiet as Tommy. Her stat isn't modified so much as her 10 stat range is maximized. Does that make sense?

On 11/4/2017 at 6:08 PM, Alkavian said:

Think of stat scores as narrow ranges. Not all SAME scores are equal. As an example, Tommy has 10 stealth, but is essentially silent except when he swims. AJ is 10 stealth but makes more noise than Tommy unmodified by Perks. With the right Perks AJ can be as quiet as Tommy. Her stat isn't modified so much as her 10 stat range is maximized. Does that make sense?

Yes, a little bit. So basically it would still improve performance?

Love this thread, by the way.