9 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

This Video was awesome. I actually learned the technique once , after I saw a Jason use it against a Tommy. He fell for it twice. That Jason was great.

Yeah that's a great vidéo, I'll keep posting his future technique (and maybe post some old because it's very usefull). 

I didn't know about this shift technique and I didn't try yet, is that easy to master ? 

6 hours ago, Sinisterslither said:

Yeah that's a great vidéo, I'll keep posting his future technique (and maybe post some old because it's very usefull). 

I didn't know about this shift technique and I didn't try yet, is that easy to master ? 

I think it's Pretty easy. I learned it really fast. Well , I didn't even have to Train. But to master it , it will take just a bit more time. But not much.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

How to Shift-Dodge Sweater-Stuns:

Oh what, you think I'm joking?

It requires an extreme level of precision (and a lot of luck) but if you time it perfectly you can actually make sweater-girl "miss". 

And as you can see, you kneel on the next hit. All Tommy has to do is press X and you're dead. Here's a clip of mine doing it a while back -

Don't try to Shift dodge the sweater stun.

20 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

How to Shift-Dodge Sweater-Stuns:

Oh what, you think I'm joking?

It requires an extreme level of pre13cision (and a lot of luck) but if you time it perfectly you can actually make sweater-girl "miss". 

Sweater girl used it too early,  just a frame before Jason has fully recovered.  As far as I know (I don't do testing on this, only experience from blotched Jason kill) but Jason maybe able to avoid sweater stun only if the sweater hits during the initial shift start up (only a few frames).  Before the engine update, this situation would avoid the kill, but leave Jason locked out of shift for the rest of the game, I do not know if this is different now.  However if Jason is captured anytime after start-up (when he begins to move), he will be pulled out of shift ready for anyone to kneel stun him.  I've gotten good at timing the sweater in the case when Jason could be spamming shift to capturing him right when he moves to prevent his escape.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Sorry to burst your bubble…...

But she simply mistimed it. She stunned you while you were stunned…..

If you don't believe me , she started to talk before you even were shifting.

@Sinisterslither This Video was awesome. I actually learned the technique once , after I saw a Jason use it against a Tommy. He fell for it twice. That Jason was great.

Are you sure? I've been killed as Jason before and sweater-girl dropped firecrackers and then used the sweater while I was still stunned from them.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:01 AM, Tommy86 said:

And as you can see, you kneel on the next hit. All Tommy has to do is press X and you're dead. Here's a clip of mine doing it a while back -

Don't try to Shift dodge the sweater stun.

Did she even use the sweater? I didn't even hear her impersonate Pamela.

11 minutes ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Are you sure? I've been killed as Jason before and sweater-girl dropped firecrackers and then used the sweater while I was still stunned from them.

Yeah , as seen in your Video , you actually got on your knees at the end.....

That is really scary. Can you really just Sweater stun him , while he is stunned? Is that even beneficial?

23 minutes ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Did she even use the sweater? I didn't even hear her impersonate Pamela.

There was no audio of it (at least for me), but of course she did otherwise we wouldn't have been able to kill him. If you watch closely, her sweater disappears as I run past her. This has been known for a long time, even if Jason shift dodges it then he will just get kneeled off the next stun - ready for Tommy to hit X. You can see how long we waited, and it still worked.

17 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

That technique works wonders actually for me. I love that dude.

Yes really cool video ! I don't know if you had check all of them but they are all that good ! I don't want to spam here with his video but it's a good complement to the great job that made @Alkavian with this thread. Too bad he quit the forum.

• Like 1

So I've been promising some final guides for quite some time, and I've finally got a few finished for you guys. I'll be putting up 3 today (and more in the coming week), but this is the first of the lot. Keep in mind that these guides are all geared towards competitive players, and the techniques shown will take practice to master. No matter your level, I recommend watching as I guarantee even veteran players will learn something new.

Slash Block (0:09)

1. Lightly Tap R2 for light attack in Combat Stance -
This can be reliably done once you are accustomed to the correct pressure. It is also necessary for this technique as block can be performed faster without re-entering CS.

2. Block, CS light attack

3. CS light attack, Block -
It is vital that block is performed just after the slash animation has finished, and not a moment before. If done too early, block won't come out and if done too late, will be too slow to avoid the punish. Luckily, you have the throwing knife indicator to rely on; block as soon as it lights up.

Please Note - This technique does not work against a counselor with Swift Attacker equipped.

Knife Slash (0:37)

1. Block, Knife -
This is the first move to learn. Perform a block, and exit with L3 into throwing knife.

2. Knife, Slash -
To maximise speed on this combo, circle must be pressed inbetween the 2 inputs. It must not be pressed too early however, since it will simply cancel the knife. Watch your knife counter to develop the timing.

2. Knife, CS light attack -
For those who want to maximise protection, particularly in group combat. This will allow you to efficiently block after the combo without having to re-enter CS. The series of inputs are as follows - L1, circle, R3, R2 (lightly tapped). The timing for circle is same as the regular knife slash.

3. CS light attack into block -
To follow up the above step. As described in Slash Block.

Please Note - This technique should only be used as a finisher, or against an unarmed counselor, or as a whiff punish. It will deal 50 dmg, or 60 with a +Weapon Strength Jason.

Match Footage (1:09)

Full Trapping Guide -
This is by far the most comprehensive guide I have made, but it was necessary to show that these trapping methods are the most efficient and reliable that I have found for each objective. To the best of my knowledge, there are none better. You will not waste any traps using these methods (with 1 exception) and there is no counterplay for a counselor to bypass any of them without interaction. 

Repair Animations (0:09)
This is the basis for all following trap formations. Observing counselor position was critical in order to determine the best placement of traps, so that none will be wasted. By watching this part of the video, you can understand exactly why the following works. The descriptions and footage shown in the video are adequate to learn each method. 

Crouching Double Trap (1:25)

Crouching Triple Trap (3:14)

Standing Double - Battery (5:32)

Standing Double - Gas (6:29)

Car Entry Traps (8:02
If you have arrived at a car with battery already repaired, and enough time has passed to also reasonably repair the gas, then you should proceed to trap the entry rather than gambling on trapping the gas (which there is no visual indicator of repair for). 

Shack Entry Traps (9:24)
This is an emergency tactic to use against kill squads. Best case scenario is you are able to find, shut down and trap the Tommy power box before he is called. In this case you can just throw 1 on the shack for good measure. If you were unable to stop the call however, and you have enough traps, then 4 can be placed at the shack. Unfortunately, only 2 will ever work but it is all that can be done.

Quadruple Traps WIP (12:09)
This is a work-in-progress. Examples of functioning Quadruple formation, and non-functioning formation (1 is wasted) are shown. Quadruple traps can only work on the phone and power box, and a dedicated guide will be posted once it has been adequately refined for a guaranteed result.

• Thanks 6

10 hours ago, Sinisterslither said:

I didn't know about this shift technique, this is amazing.

Yes Strafe Shifting has been around for a very long time. It’s something I considered showing on here in the past but thought better since it isn’t an intended mechanic which usually = post deleted.

There are actually a handful of things you can do with Shift, most of which I can’t say but one of them is a knife cancel into Shift which will provide you with an overhead view in it. It is good for navigating terrain but not so much for Shift grabs. Fairly harmless in that aspect, it can also be combined with strafing for a much nicer Shifting experience.

Also in regards to Strafe Shifting, it is not possible on PC unless you use a controller.

• Thanks 1

I'm not 100 % sure about it yet but I think that you can prevent Jason using his traps on the objectives by trapping them yourself with a bear trap.

2 hours ago, KenshiroHNK said:

I'm not 100 % sure about it yet but I think that you can prevent Jason using his traps on the objectives by trapping them yourself with a bear trap.

To an extent. Counselor bear traps blocking obj can be circumvented, Jason can still counter with 1 or even 2 traps of his own. Perhaps if 2 counselor bear traps were placed but that is highly unlikely. It was something I wanted to include in the full trap guide, but would’ve required too much work to literally show each possible counter to each possible bear trap position / angle. 

Fast solution - watch the intro section / counselor repair animations and memorise them, and any time you see a bear trap placed at an obj, just try to place your own (using CS to guide you) as close to where a part of their body will land for that specific animation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KenshiroHNK said:

To an extent. Counselor bear traps blocking obj can still be circumvented, Jason can still counter with 1 or even 2 traps of his own. Perhaps if 2 counselor bear traps were placed but that is highly unlikely. It was something I wanted to include in the full trap guide, but would’ve required too much work to literally show each possible counter to each possible bear trap position / angle. 

Fast solution - watch the intro section / counselor repair animations and memorise them, and any time you see a bear trap placed at an obj, just try to place your own (using CS to guide you) as close to where a part of their body will land for that specific animation. If there are no good options, you may need to waste a trap to block an entry point in order for another to work eg. Shack double trap method.

EDIT: Not sure why it posted twice. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 6:13 PM, Alkavian said:
  • Hey Campers,

This is a thread that I have been meaning to do for some time but have not previously got around to it. Many times I have new players ask me for advice in game or I see new players lamenting that there isn't more information given in regards to tutorials and strategies. They get the generic, break windows, trap phone first, trap four-seater, don't play Part 7, et cetera but do not actually hear much in terms of specific strategies for specific situations. What I would like to do with this thread is pick a specific scenario or strategy about once, maybe twice, a week and discuss different approaches to dealing with it. Think of it as a playbook where we can share ideas and specific approaches we use for a given situation. This thread will not be on any one specific topic but something that evolves and changes weekly.

CONTENTS LIST (quick links):

Juking

Ferrying Parts

Dealing with Counselors in Cabins

Avoiding Spawn Kills

Defying the Meta

LaChappa versus Deborah Comparison

Keys Items - Lost and Found

Countering Looping

Escape - Risk versus Reward

Avoiding Detection

Sense Testing

Playing Tommy Jarvis

Prioritizing Counselor Kills

Surviving the Night Advice

Using Throwing Knives

Jason's Grab / Shift-Grab Advice

Maximizing XP Gain

Jason - Aggressor versus Controller

Counselor Stats

Non-Metagame Trapping w/ Jason

Stamina Management

Perks Advice

Doors Open or Closed

Effective Counselor Communication

Patch 10/25/2017 Mechanics Testing Videos

Counselor Overview: A.J. Mason

Counselor Overview: Brandon "Buggzy" Wilson

Counselor Overview: Jenny Myers

Counselor Overview: Fox

Counselor Overview: Chad Kensington

Counselor Overview: Tiffany Cox

Counselor Overview: Adam Palomino

Counselor Overview: Vanessa Jones

Counselor Overview: Kenny Riedell

Counselor Overview: Deborah Kim

Counselor Overview: Eric "J.R." LaChappa

Counselor Overview: Sheldon "Shelly" Finkelstein

Counselor Overview: Mitch Floyd

Counselor Overview: Victoria Sterling

The Sense Basics You Need to Know

Weapon Information from Bomber

In Spite of Sense - Making Stealth Work

Offline Bots - Training Suggestions for New Jasons

Man Behind the Mask: Part 2 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 3 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 7 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Savini Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 6 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 4 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 9 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 8 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 5 "Jason" Roy Burns

Sound CUES and VHS Static Info

Improved Door Breaking / Phone Trapping by Tommy86

How Fast are the Vehicles?

Fixer's Guide to Play

Teamwork - Use It

Hockey Mask Help - The basics of being effective

Forcing Damage w/ Windows (by Tommy86)

Block+Grab Combat Strategies (by Tommy86)

Block+Knife Combat Strategies (by Tommy86)

FOR MORE INFORMATION :

My Mixed Ideas and Feedback

Kodiak's Help Thread

The Punk Pirate's Guide (Weapons and Combat)

VoorheesGt101 Video Guides

This first week, I got my inspiration from @Tekdrudge. The topic was regarding shift-grab and if it was skill or luck. See topic here:

WEEK 1 - The Juke (let us talk about the fine art of leaving Jason in the dust)

Ok, some might say this is self-explanatory. Don't run in straight lines or git gud or some other such nonsense. New players, and some veterans, have issues with avoiding the aforementioned Shift-Grab. People can be pretty salty about it. There are things that will help offset the skill of the players who have mastered this technique.

A. Bear in mind perspective/point of view. A Jason approaching from the rear has YOU as a foreground target. Moving in a linear direction away or perpendicular to Jason's perspective makes you an easier target. Counselors that are walking or jogging are easy pickings in these situations and running counselors are not much better off when moving perpendicular to Jason's perspective. Moving away is slightly better when sprinting because you *possibly* can open up enough distance when he comes out to Shift-Grab you - he might miss. Either way these are less desirable techniques in my opinion.

B. Closing the distance of YOU as a foreground target is used by a lot of people. They are trying to throw off Jason's perspective and make him overshoot the target by doubling back on their own path. This can work against short-range Shifts, but it is still essentially moving in the same azimuth (from Jason's point of view) and simply closing the distance quickly. A good Jason can still easily snatch you.

C. I recommend using a triangle pattern: You change your foreground presence by moving diagonally. This adjusts your range from Jason in the foreground and makes him consider more than one axis of movement (you are not just moving back and forth or left and right).

59b0276a0058e_Jukesplaybook.jpg.c584cde9b64e41c70765e8c00372f6c6.jpg

Figure 1:  Moving directly away. Probably the worst option. You are only adjusting your position in the same direction of movement as Jason is facing.

Figure 2.  Moving perpendicular to Jason. Bad (it gets worse the farther you are away because Jason has more time to steer the hit). A simple Shift approach, leading you like in a shooter game, and Jason has you.

Figure 3.  Better than 1 or 2 because you are closing the distance between Jason and reducing the time to react. Best used on extremely short Shift distances to throw off the Jason player. It is OK. DO NOT TRY AGAINST A LONG SHIFT. You're just making it easy for shift ninja Jason in my opinion.

Figure 4.  This is what I do. I change my position both in the foreground and laterally. I move primarily in diagonals and they are strung together in a quick series of adjustments. Don't run any one leg more than a second or so. After the end of two diagonal movements you make a break (horizontal seems best). I would recommend breaking back towards the original center-line for your axis of advance (complete the triangle). This will often throw off Jason's Shift approach and get you out of the grab swath. Remember you can also invert and/or reverse this tactic to make your counselor very unpredictable for a Shift-grabbing Jason.

Additional Info:  Juking on rough terrain benefits the counselor. Jason has a tendency to get hung up on rocks, trees, building corners, and just about anything else. As you are running/jogging be expecting the Shift and thinking about which way to initiate your juke to put the most obstacles between you and Jason while keeping up your erratic evasion.

Have you tried running at Jason during his shift then do a U-turn at the very last second? Making him pull out of shift short trying to anticipate you running into him for an easy shift grab. It's one of my favourite shift jukes if used moderately ofc, to not give away the ploy at hand with overuse. It has worked on the best of Jasons aswell. Its the most efficient juke too, consuming minimal stamina while carrying out this juke. I recommend NoS (nerves of steel). 

On 9/6/2017 at 6:13 PM, Alkavian said:
  • Hey Campers,

This is a thread that I have been meaning to do for some time but have not previously got around to it. Many times I have new players ask me for advice in game or I see new players lamenting that there isn't more information given in regards to tutorials and strategies. They get the generic, break windows, trap phone first, trap four-seater, don't play Part 7, et cetera but do not actually hear much in terms of specific strategies for specific situations. What I would like to do with this thread is pick a specific scenario or strategy about once, maybe twice, a week and discuss different approaches to dealing with it. Think of it as a playbook where we can share ideas and specific approaches we use for a given situation. This thread will not be on any one specific topic but something that evolves and changes weekly.

CONTENTS LIST (quick links):

Juking

Ferrying Parts

Dealing with Counselors in Cabins

Avoiding Spawn Kills

Defying the Meta

LaChappa versus Deborah Comparison

Keys Items - Lost and Found

Countering Looping

Escape - Risk versus Reward

Avoiding Detection

Sense Testing

Playing Tommy Jarvis

Prioritizing Counselor Kills

Surviving the Night Advice

Using Throwing Knives

Jason's Grab / Shift-Grab Advice

Maximizing XP Gain

Jason - Aggressor versus Controller

Counselor Stats

Non-Metagame Trapping w/ Jason

Stamina Management

Perks Advice

Doors Open or Closed

Effective Counselor Communication

Patch 10/25/2017 Mechanics Testing Videos

Counselor Overview: A.J. Mason

Counselor Overview: Brandon "Buggzy" Wilson

Counselor Overview: Jenny Myers

Counselor Overview: Fox

Counselor Overview: Chad Kensington

Counselor Overview: Tiffany Cox

Counselor Overview: Adam Palomino

Counselor Overview: Vanessa Jones

Counselor Overview: Kenny Riedell

Counselor Overview: Deborah Kim

Counselor Overview: Eric "J.R." LaChappa

Counselor Overview: Sheldon "Shelly" Finkelstein

Counselor Overview: Mitch Floyd

Counselor Overview: Victoria Sterling

The Sense Basics You Need to Know

Weapon Information from Bomber

In Spite of Sense - Making Stealth Work

Offline Bots - Training Suggestions for New Jasons

Man Behind the Mask: Part 2 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 3 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 7 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Savini Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 6 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 4 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 9 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 8 Jason

Man Behind the Mask: Part 5 "Jason" Roy Burns

Sound CUES and VHS Static Info

Improved Door Breaking / Phone Trapping by Tommy86

How Fast are the Vehicles?

Fixer's Guide to Play

Teamwork - Use It

Hockey Mask Help - The basics of being effective

Forcing Damage w/ Windows (by Tommy86)

Block+Grab Combat Strategies (by Tommy86)

Block+Knife Combat Strategies (by Tommy86)

FOR MORE INFORMATION :

My Mixed Ideas and Feedback

Kodiak's Help Thread

The Punk Pirate's Guide (Weapons and Combat)

VoorheesGt101 Video Guides

This first week, I got my inspiration from @Tekdrudge. The topic was regarding shift-grab and if it was skill or luck. See topic here:

WEEK 1 - The Juke (let us talk about the fine art of leaving Jason in the dust)

Ok, some might say this is self-explanatory. Don't run in straight lines or git gud or some other such nonsense. New players, and some veterans, have issues with avoiding the aforementioned Shift-Grab. People can be pretty salty about it. There are things that will help offset the skill of the players who have mastered this technique.

A. Bear in mind perspective/point of view. A Jason approaching from the rear has YOU as a foreground target. Moving in a linear direction away or perpendicular to Jason's perspective makes you an easier target. Counselors that are walking or jogging are easy pickings in these situations and running counselors are not much better off when moving perpendicular to Jason's perspective. Moving away is slightly better when sprinting because you *possibly* can open up enough distance when he comes out to Shift-Grab you - he might miss. Either way these are less desirable techniques in my opinion.

B. Closing the distance of YOU as a foreground target is used by a lot of people. They are trying to throw off Jason's perspective and make him overshoot the target by doubling back on their own path. This can work against short-range Shifts, but it is still essentially moving in the same azimuth (from Jason's point of view) and simply closing the distance quickly. A good Jason can still easily snatch you.

C. I recommend using a triangle pattern: You change your foreground presence by moving diagonally. This adjusts your range from Jason in the foreground and makes him consider more than one axis of movement (you are not just moving back and forth or left and right).

59b0276a0058e_Jukesplaybook.jpg.c584cde9b64e41c70765e8c00372f6c6.jpg

Figure 1:  Moving directly away. Probably the worst option. You are only adjusting your position in the same direction of movement as Jason is facing.

Figure 2.  Moving perpendicular to Jason. Bad (it gets worse the farther you are away because Jason has more time to steer the hit). A simple Shift approach, leading you like in a shooter game, and Jason has you.

Figure 3.  Better than 1 or 2 because you are closing the distance between Jason and reducing the time to react. Best used on extremely short Shift distances to throw off the Jason player. It is OK. DO NOT TRY AGAINST A LONG SHIFT. You're just making it easy for shift ninja Jason in my opinion.

Figure 4.  This is what I do. I change my position both in the foreground and laterally. I move primarily in diagonals and they are strung together in a quick series of adjustments. Don't run any one leg more than a second or so. After the end of two diagonal movements you make a break (horizontal seems best). I would recommend breaking back towards the original center-line for your axis of advance (complete the triangle). This will often throw off Jason's Shift approach and get you out of the grab swath. Remember you can also invert and/or reverse this tactic to make your counselor very unpredictable for a Shift-grabbing Jason.

Additional Info:  Juking on rough terrain benefits the counselor. Jason has a tendency to get hung up on rocks, trees, building corners, and just about anything else. As you are running/jogging be expecting the Shift and thinking about which way to initiate your juke to put the most obstacles between you and Jason while keeping up your erratic evasion.

You should work in conjunction with Boredom era to get your points and tips across in his future videos. He's open to learn and discuss, he's very humble. Me and Tommy86 and a few others are combining to help him. He recently made a shift batting video that we played a part in helping him. Great platform for your ideas and tips and tricks!! Don't think he has ever come across shift batting until then. His videos are awesome, very simple (yet brimming with content) and also crisp and clear. Here's an example:

Enjoy! 😄