Sign in to follow this  
Laphin

Awarding Players (Player Achievements)

(I apologize, can you please move this to the "Player Suggestions part of the forums please... this started out as a talk, and I got carried away)

I wanted to know what you guys have in mind to keep players HOOKED once they start playing this title.

Will there be achievements, or things that the player earns over time that they can redeem for perks, items, trophies, and maybe "Status Badges" to show players that...

This camper likes to betray their friends..

This camper likes to work together..

This camper is a loner..

You know, it's almost like a stereotype that people place on 'the player' now, rather than just the avatar, so that way immediately upon playing, "The Players" now have a First Impression of the other campers they are playing with and that will mold the shape of 'what people think about the other campers' type attitude going in...

You could have stats like,

"Laphin has survived 12 Fridays..."

"Laphin has started the car 100 times..."

Just little details that make things a little more interesting.

Giving different players awards and 'benefits' for doing certain things.

Maybe a player can earn a gun over time for playing well.  And then they can use that gun to shoot Jason, halting him for just those extra few seconds while someone else is trying to get a car to start, or just generally trying to run away.  (Pistol for starters.. maybe a shotgun later down the road)  Where as a pistol might make Jason take a few steps back when shooting him successfully, buying those seconds of time.  Where as a shotgun can put Jason on the ground (depending on how close a shot you get of course), buying even MORE time before he gets back up again.  When Jason gets blown to the ground, make the recovery time random to keep tension up... (Person playing Jason will get a random clock counter showing when they can stand back up), this would make the tension of not knowing when Jason is going to continue coming after you 'edge of your seat'.  Ammo would be VERY scarce.  (Maybe you have to actually buy ammo with 'in-game' point system, and you can only carry so much per match.

Just cool things that different players would be able to earn and start THEIR match with depending on the ideas THEY have going into a match, making the chemistry between all players different EACH match.  IE.. if someone starts with a rifle, and it's EXTREMELY hard to get.  Now all the other campers who know (THIS GUY'S BEEN PLAYING THE GAME AWHILE) because he has a rifle.. all the other players will be sticking with this guy because HE has the means to keep Jason at bay.... at least for awhile.

You just gotta hope now that he's smart and actually knows what he's doing, and hope he isn't 'just some guy with a rifle' that's gonna waste shots.

You would have to create a system where not 'everyone' can have a gun in the match.. or maybe in order to 'GET' the gun, there's a process you have to go through WHILE playing.. and there's only one or two of them.

I know I am rambling!

Let me know what you guys think!

- Jonathan Jones

• Like 2

I like the idea of rewarding a players playtime but I feel guns wouldn't fit it at all.

I like the way that Jason cannot be shot and only melee'd as it makes the survivors have to risk their lives to slow him down.

Although a good point about all of the rewarding systems, I agree with you on that- should definitely have that kind of structured system as it makes players want to keep playing for cognitive reward

• Like 1

A handgun with one bullet, that is hidden in the map 1% of the time. 

I like the idea,, I want to be able to level up my counselor. Whether its a 2% stamina boost or whatever Lvl progression will definitely keep things going. Not like it wouldnt without it, But would be fun.

• Like 1

I like the idea of rewarding a players playtime but I feel guns wouldn't fit it at all.

I like the way that Jason cannot be shot and only melee'd as it makes the survivors have to risk their lives to slow him down.

Although a good point about all of the rewarding systems, I agree with you on that- should definitely have that kind of structured system as it makes players want to keep playing for cognitive reward

I'm not talking guns like in The Last of Us or any other games tho.  These items would be SUPER RARE.

Someone having a shotgun... it would be like finding gold.  Which would make the achievement of having one or 'finding' one REWARDING as all get out.

So having a counselor in a match with a shot gun, having only 3 shells in the match... or a pistol with only 6 bullets, that then creates the 'conscious' decision for the other counselors to maybe stay around this guy.

BUT.. see now you have all these decisions to make as 'the counselor without the gun".  Is he really going to be smart enough with it to help us... is he going to use it right?  Is he going to be a responsible leader with it??

Remember that guns played a part in a lot of the Jason films, but they only were used to stop him for a few seconds at most.

I don't think that having guns would ruin any part of this game, but would create a mechanic that would make other players THINK.  It's not just about 'having' a gun.. as a weapon mechanic in the game.  But having a gun, and now making the other counselors make conscious decisions on who they are going to trust, or follow into the dark woods.

I'm not talking guns like in The Last of Us or any other games tho.  These items would be SUPER RARE.

Someone having a shotgun... it would be like finding gold.  Which would make the achievement of having one or 'finding' one REWARDING as all get out.

So having a counselor in a match with a shot gun, having only 3 shells in the match... or a pistol with only 6 bullets, that then creates the 'conscious' decision for the other counselors to maybe stay around this guy.

BUT.. see now you have all these decisions to make as 'the counselor without the gun".  Is he really going to be smart enough with it to help us... is he going to use it right?  Is he going to be a responsible leader with it??

Remember that guns played a part in a lot of the Jason films, but they only were used to stop him for a few seconds at most.

I don't think that having guns would ruin any part of this game, but would create a mechanic that would make other players THINK.  It's not just about 'having' a gun.. as a weapon mechanic in the game.  But having a gun, and now making the other counselors make conscious decisions on who they are going to trust, or follow into the dark woods.

Yeah, I guess so,  I understand your point of view now. I mean if the guns WERE hard to find and had a very small chance of finding them I guess it works.

I like the idea,, I want to be able to level up my counselor. Whether its a 2% stamina boost or whatever Lvl progression will definitely keep things going. Not like it wouldnt without it, But would be fun.

I enjoy this point. A game without progression isn't a long lasting game. 

We need player progression that makes players feel that they have a small amount control over their characters.