Sign in to follow this  
DarkRicochet117

Should trolling be a bannable offense?

Should trolling be a bannable offense?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. With team killing removed, are other ways of trolling players getting out of hand?

• Not that I've noticed.
    • Yes!
  2. 2. Either way, should trolling other players be a bannable offense?

• Yes please.
    • No way.

I for one am so fucking happy they got rid of team killing. However I've heard of other ways people are pissing off other players and I'm getting really sick of trolls trying to ruin everyone's fun. What other ways have you been trolled, and should these trolls be punished for their behavior?

The upside on PS4 is that it's so hard to get more than three people in a QP lobby, so I've played hours pretty much off my friends list; hasn't come up yet, lol.

1 minute ago, SDA said:

The upside on PS4 is that it's so hard to get more than three people in a QP lobby, so I've played hours pretty much off my friends list; hasn't come up yet, lol.

Unfortunately I've been having the same problem the last several days. The day before the update I was team killed for the last time, I was so happy to see the update downloading the next day... 

Deliberately trying to ruin someone else's experience shouldn't be tolerated. No need for people like that within this games community. 

Ok I just got accused of trolling in another post because I was just messing around with people and their posts  nothing hateful just being stupid I even apologized for it being taken the wrong way. Now I know what in game trolling is and it's something I don't do because I can't stand that shit but I don't really understand why it's considered trolling just because you respond a couple times to a post just to mess around. Is everything you post supposed to be in support of everything all the time and your never allowed to have a bit of fun or is it something lost in translation from hearing something in real life and reading texts?. 

2 minutes ago, P1gmartyr said:

Ok I just got accused of trolling in another post because I was just messing around with people and their posts  nothing hateful just being stupid I even apologized for it being taken the wrong way. Now I know what in game trolling is and it's something I don't do because I can't stand that shit but I don't really understand why it's considered trolling just because you respond a couple times to a post just to mess around. Is everything you post supposed to be in support of everything all the time and your never allowed to have a bit of fun or is it something lost in translation from hearing something in real life and reading texts?. 

Doesn't have to be supportive, but if all you are doing (and I am not saying this is what you were doing) is being disruptive, then yeah that is trolling. If you are attempting to lighten the mood or be a positive type of funny, then meh, I do that, and I do not think it is trolling, though I might be biased.

The question is one of intent. Did you post in that thread just to derail and piss people off? Did you jump in to a thing to say , you are both wrong, this is boring and dumb?

Anyway, that goes to what I would say about in game as well. Doing something entertaining isn't trolling. If everyone is entertained, but you need to know the tone of the room.

Often times the difference between being a dick and being funny is about the tone of the room. If you are in a match with super serious players bent on escape, taking a bit of a joy ride to mess with Jason is a no go. If everyone is relaxed, it can be a fun adventure, that even the Jason can enjoy because it sharpens their car chase skills.

I worry about a permenant ban. I think there should be a sliding scale in game.

24hr-48hr, then 72 hour then you are done. 3 strikes principle.

1 minute ago, Definitelynotjason said:

Doesn't have to be supportive, but if all you are doing (and I am not saying this is what you were doing) is being disruptive, then yeah that is trolling. If you are attempting to lighten the mood or be a positive type of funny, then meh, I do that, and I do not think it is trolling, though I might be biased.

The question is one of intent. Did you post in that thread just to derail and piss people off? Did you jump in to a thing to say , you are both wrong, this is boring and dumb?

Anyway, that goes to what I would say about in game as well. Doing something entertaining isn't trolling. If everyone is entertained, but you need to know the tone of the room.

Often times the difference between being a dick and being funny is about the tone of the room. If you are in a match with super serious players bent on escape, taking a bit of a joy ride to mess with Jason is a no go. If everyone is relaxed, it can be a fun adventure, that even the Jason can enjoy because it sharpens their car chase skills.

I worry about a permenant ban. I think there should be a sliding scale in game.

24hr-48hr, then 72 hour then you are done. 3 strikes principle.

That makes a lot of sense and admittedly I'm way behind on the whole posting on forums thing this is first game I've ever even wanted to go to the forums and see what's up with everything going on. In real life my humor is considered dickish so I guess online without tone or context it can be taken the wrong way and I wouldn't really worry about it too much but I'm also concerned about permanent banning even though it feels like everyone on the ps4 is banned with match making the way it is right now. 

1 minute ago, P1gmartyr said:

That makes a lot of sense and admittedly I'm way behind on the whole posting on forums thing this is first game I've ever even wanted to go to the forums and see what's up with everything going on. In real life my humor is considered dickish so I guess online without tone or context it can be taken the wrong way and I wouldn't really worry about it too much but I'm also concerned about permanent banning even though it feels like everyone on the ps4 is banned with match making the way it is right now. 

Also, reputation counts for something in this regard. If people see you enough, they give you the benefit of the doubt as far as deciding between dick and different sense of humour.

From what I saw, and what I am reading here, it sounds like you are the type of person who will get warned on these forums.

The mods will correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe a forum ban results in any type of in game ban. Those things are separate.

If you are goofing around, let people know you are, and it will probably work itself out. Self depricating humour can also smooth over tone and make people see that while you may be making a bad or dickish joke, you are not taking yourself seriously, which is a good thing.

1 minute ago, Definitelynotjason said:

Also, reputation counts for something in this regard. If people see you enough, they give you the benefit of the doubt as far as deciding between dick and different sense of humour.

From what I saw, and what I am reading here, it sounds like you are the type of person who will get warned on these forums.

The mods will correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe a forum ban results in any type of in game ban. Those things are separate.

If you are goofing around, let people know you are, and it will probably work itself out. Self depricating humour can also smooth over tone and make people see that while you may be making a bad or dickish joke, you are not taking yourself seriously, which is a good thing.

Got it and thanks for taking the time to offer some advice it's appreciated.  

Any kind of trolling is nonsensical. The mere act of trolling is to purposely annoy/ irritate others. I consider the term "trolling" to be synonymous with griefing. If you're going to go out of your way to intentionally piss people off than that's uncalled for in any venue, gaming or otherwise. 

Some individuals may view trolling as playful taunting or messing around but there's a difference between having fun and having fun at the expense of others. As definitelynotjason said it has to be acceptable to the person or group otherwise it's malicious or can be construed as such. That being said I favor a temporary ban and permanent ban system. I'm fine with three strikes. Sadly, that's why people can't have nice things because there's always a bad apple in the bunch to ruin it for the masses. 

OK, this is kind of getting out of hand. Now just saying things that some people may consider "dickish" is a potentially bannable offense that is actually being discussed? GTFO here with that nonsense! I'm sorry, but it sounds like this game might not be right for some people. I'm a dick quite often, in real life, and in games. I was never one to shoot another counselor, spread hate speech, or exploit glitches in the game. But, I talk shit. There is an achievement called "Chad is a dick", so being a dick is part of the game that you get rewarded for. Come on people, get out of your safe spaces and flick those special snowflakes off of your shoulders. Just because one person's brand of humor is not in line with yours is no reason for that person to lose the right to play a game they paid for. Mute people that are annoying you with talking, or get thicker skin.

I can't even believe this is a thing. Has the world become so sensitive that somebody having a raunchy sense of humor is that damning? 

20 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

OK, this is kind of getting out of hand. Now just saying things that some people may consider "dickish" is a potentially bannable offense that is actually being discussed? GTFO here with that nonsense! I'm sorry, but it sounds like this game might not be right for some people. I'm a dick quite often, in real life, and in games. I was never one to shoot another counselor, spread hate speech, or exploit glitches in the game. But, I talk shit. There is an achievement called "Chad is a dick", so being a dick is part of the game that you get rewarded for. Come on people, get out of your safe spaces and flick those special snowflakes off of your shoulders. Just because one person's brand of humor is not in line with yours is no reason for that person to lose the right to play a game they paid for. Mute people that are annoying you with talking, or get thicker skin.

I can't even believe this is a thing. Has the world become so sensitive that somebody having a raunchy sense of humor is that damning? 

Stop freaking out. No one said anything about a raunchy sense of humor. If that's the worse thing you're guilty of then I'm pretty sure you're fine. There's a huge difference between talking shit and deliberately trying to ruin everyone else's good time.

The "Chad is a Dick" trophy can be earned in any number of circumstances, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a dick. lol

Played a match last night that had a troll.

I was Tiffany on a new small map. I spawn in a cabin with keys, gas, fuse, and firecrackers. Christmas came early. ? 

I found the phone box at the barn right next to me. I put the fuse in. Use my firecrackers to stall Jason to call police.

I run the gas to the bridge and got to the blue car. Teammates distracted Jason.

I had keys. So did a Kenny player. He gets in the car and starts it.

He won't drive. He waits until Jason shows up. Then runs over a counselor.

He shouts out to Jason to grab us and kill them all. He drives to a dead end and crashes the car on purpose.

He lets Jason kill the passengers. I get out to run to police and....black screen. You lost connection. Host has left the game or crashed. 15 minutes wasted.

Players are finding new ways to troll and waste your time after the new team killing patch.

If I had the option to pull the driver out and kill them GTA style that troll would be dead.

I have seen players taking car parts, fuse and boat parts and not playing the objective. They go and hide or find an exploit spot.

I watched players find important objective parts and leave them behind too after looting a cabin.

"Found the fuse.'' - troll

''Go put it in the phone box'' - GhostWolfViking

''I left in in the drawer. I don't know where the phone box is. I just wanted the pocket knives'' - troll

''Ok, I'll grab it and take it over to the phone box that you spawned at'' - GhostWolfViking

''I just found the battery" - troll

"Put it in the car that it spawned by'' - GhostWolfViking

''I don't have a map and I am not smart'. I left it in the cabin or woods. Can't remember where. OH SHIT JASON IS KILLING....*radio silence*'' - dead troll

"Thank you Jason! He was on your team anyways. Time to repair the car and escape ? '' - GhostWolfViking

2 hours ago, Definitelynotjason said:

Correct, they are separate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkRicochet117 said:

Stop freaking out. No one said anything about a raunchy sense of humor. If that's the worse thing you're guilty of then I'm pretty sure you're fine. There's a huge difference between talking shit and deliberately trying to ruin everyone else's good time.

The "Chad is a Dick" trophy can be earned in any number of circumstances, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a dick. lol

I'm not freaking out I was just talking about some of the responses I read on here. People saying that if the thingsyou say may offend the group, it is a problem. No it's not. "You need to feel out the room." No you don't. People should not have to censor themselves because somebody else might get offended. It's just sad. I predicted way back when the "Bannable Offenses" including banning people for saying certain things in chat that it would be a slippery slope once people were banned for saying this word or that word. Now, some people in this thread, on Reddit, and on Facebook want to ban people for taunting and talking shit.  I'm sorry, that just sounds like some fucking oversensitive people to me. I think we all need to remember that we are playing a game where one player is trying to brutally murder everyone else in the game, against random ass people who's opinion of you really shouldn't matter. It seems like there might be a few that would be better suited for Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. But maybe not, I hear Mario has a gun in this one! :o

Now, I do think that other ways of trolling, i.e. blocking people in rooms, running over people with cars, hiding key items, etc...has increased since the patch and I think that it is a problem. But, I don't think that it is bannable. You can't stop trolling, period. There are, always have been, and always will be sick bastards that want to ruin other people's experience in online games. It happens in Every. Fucking. Game. People are going to troll, grief, and harass other players. The more measures that are put into place to combat that, the more satisfaction these sick bastards will get out of it. Because that is exactly what they want, attention. Look at all of the YouTube accounts built around trolling people in every online game out there from Minecraft to Friday the 13th. Maybe single player will help some of these folks relax.

1 hour ago, Rexfellis said:

I'm not freaking out I was just talking about some of the responses I read on here. People saying that if the thingsyou say may offend the group, it is a problem. No it's not. "You need to feel out the room." No you don't. People should not have to censor themselves because somebody else might get offended. It's just sad. I predicted way back when the "Bannable Offenses" including banning people for saying certain things in chat that it would be a slippery slope once people were banned for saying this word or that word. Now, some people in this thread, on Reddit, and on Facebook want to ban people for taunting and talking shit.  I'm sorry, that just sounds like some fucking oversensitive people to me. I think we all need to remember that we are playing a game where one player is trying to brutally murder everyone else in the game, against random ass people who's opinion of you really shouldn't matter. It seems like there might be a few that would be better suited for Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. But maybe not, I hear Mario has a gun in this one! :o

Now, I do think that other ways of trolling, i.e. blocking people in rooms, running over people with cars, hiding key items, etc...has increased since the patch and I think that it is a problem. But, I don't think that it is bannable. You can't stop trolling, period. There are, always have been, and always will be sick bastards that want to ruin other people's experience in online games. It happens in Every. Fucking. Game. People are going to troll, grief, and harass other players. The more measures that are put into place to combat that, the more satisfaction these sick bastards will get out of it. Because that is exactly what they want, attention. Look at all of the YouTube accounts built around trolling people in every online game out there from Minecraft to Friday the 13th. Maybe single player will help some of these folks relax.

Yeah they were mostly talking about the forums and such from what I had read. So I kinda dismissed their conversation.

You're right that we can't stop people from trolling/griefing. It's a losing battle to try but hopefully we can make attempts at discouraging it. Not sure how or if it's even worth the time and effort to try but I would like to think so. I would like to see a report system added to the game at least to try and combat the toxic players. 

3 minutes ago, DarkRicochet117 said:

Yeah they were mostly talking about the forums and such from what I had read. So I kinda dismissed their conversation.

You're right that we can't stop people from trolling/griefing. It's a losing battle to try but hopefully we can make attempts at discouraging it. Not sure how or if it's even worth the time and effort to try but I would like to think so. I would like to see a report system added to the game at least to try and combat the toxic players. 

I would love to see a report function added to the game as well.  I'm just afraid that this is going to turn into a scenario where the devs are scrambling to delete every mechanic in the game that could possibly be exploited by trolls. It is a losing battle, I have seen it with many games. Unfortunately, those games ended up being so neutered so as to make them unrecognizable from the original product, and unplayable.

My main point is this is a game with violent subject matter, as well as harsh language in-game.  I would hate to see this game turn into a family friendly piece of crap. There are plenty of games for that.