Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, gamergal1591 said:

You prob picked up another item not realizing you put down your knife with that item, iv done it before.

I am positive I had a pocket knife malfunction last night. It is a glitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Crooked Wookie said:

Yep pocket knives were auto.  I actually like that they work that way, they protected you even if you got caught off guard, as opposed to something like fireworks, that you have to try to aim and throw.  They would be of pretty limited use if you had to quickly react and hit the correct button to 'deploy' it before Jason finalized his grip on you.  People would hit the wrong button, or press it an instant too late - but be sure that they'd hit it on time.  A bad ping could completely ruin the timing of its use.  

People would have been pretty livid if they'd had a pocket knife on them and something had gone wrong and they'd gotten killed anyway.

Well, as we're seeing now that exactly that is happening, for example.  =)   

Pocket knives are a nice failsafe.  They make every grab a gamble for Jason, add a little bit of uncertainty and a little bit of risk of losing his prey.  They wouldn't be a great tool, IMO, if they relied on you basically racing to hit a button to stab Jason before he hit the button to choke you out - and it would further push Jason players to use the fastest, most boring kills.

I actually said after release that pocket knives should have a fail rate of 10-25 percent. Just so it wasn't an "absolute" escape if you were grabbed. I didn't really think it was a big deal just something I thought about then.

If being able to kill a counselor with an environmental kill if you're quick enough even though they have a pocket knife is an oversight on the developers part, then it should be removed.

If they put it in there on purpose to make knives less reliable, then I'm all for it. I actually kind of like it.

Jason is not at all OP so this would be a nice bonus when the situation calls for it. Would not upset me at all if I were a counselor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rickyount02 said:

I actually said after release that pocket knives should have a fail rate of 10-25 percent. Just so it wasn't an "absolute" escape if you were grabbed. I didn't really think it was a big deal just something I thought about then.

If being able to kill a counselor with an environmental kill if you're quick enough even though they have a pocket knife is an oversight on the developers part, then it should be removed.

If they put it in there on purpose to make knives less reliable, then I'm all for it. I actually kind of like it.

Jason is not at all OP so this would be a nice bonus when the situation calls for it. Would not upset me at all if I were a counselor.

I don't know that I agree about the pocket knives - if they randomly failed anywhere between one time in four and one time in ten people would assume they were bugged and report them like crazy and there would be a million threads popping up about how pocket knives no longer work right (see: today).  But it's an interesting point.

I know for a fact that you previously weren't able to execute anybody during that second-or-two window where Jason resolved his grip while the game tried to figure out if they had a knife on them or not.  So the fact that you can, now, is a major change.  I'm about 90% certain it's unintentional, but because they changed a number of *other* significant things without bothering to announce them ahead of time or mention them in the patch notes, who knows at this point.  Eventually they'll get sick of being bugged about it and make a response to somebody on Twitter, which will then make its way around.

All I know is that window, although it can feel like an eternity in the moment, is very short, so if Jason is able to fire off a kill that fast - before the game is able to detect and kick in the pocket knife animation, which is completely automatic and not under player control - that's a balance issue.  It makes pocket knives effectively worthless, if Jason now has the ability to kill you faster than the game can register and employ the knife you have on you.

It doesn't just make them "less reliable," it makes them pointless.  Why have them if you have to wait for them to kick in, and Jason is able to kill you during that totally out of your control delay?  The only time they would ever work is if Jason straight up wasn't paying attention - and I can tell you, any Jason player with any experience is already keeping one eye on the four button prompts, just waiting for one or more of them to light up so he can hit it and kill you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought you had to tap the x button a certain amount of time before the pocket knife worked. I've been killed by Jason several times even with a pocket knife because I didn't tap x fast enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On which platform do you play? I never press any button when I have the pocket knive. When jason grabs me and I have one I can break out of his grab automaticly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deathbat96777 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought you had to tap the x button a certain amount of time before the pocket knife worked. I've been killed by Jason several times even with a pocket knife because I didn't tap x fast enough. 

l'll correct you - You're wrong.

Pocket knives always worked automatically before this "patch".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, deathbat96777 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought you had to tap the x button a certain amount of time before the pocket knife worked. I've been killed by Jason several times even with a pocket knife because I didn't tap x fast enough. 

Yeah, as Aldermach said, that's never been a thing.  I don't know why, pre-patch, you would have been killed by Jason with a pocket knife on you - I have, in many hundreds of games, literally never seen that happen once.  Not saying it didn't happen - just that I've never come across that personally, and have had hundreds of pocket knives work just fine automatically without me having to do a thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play on PS4. I've only had it happen to me twice, once pre-patch like three weeks ago, and once post patch. I realize I said several earlier, whoops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, but have you guys ever grabbed someone, initiated the kill, animation for the kill begins, music cues and they start to die and then suddenly the counselor "breaks free" with a pocket knife? Totally stopping the kill cinematic that had already begun. It has happened to me a few times, before and after this recent patch. It's so bizarre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PrettyBoyNick said:

Slightly off topic, but have you guys ever grabbed someone, initiated the kill, animation for the kill begins, music cues and they start to die and then suddenly the counselor "breaks free" with a pocket knife? Totally stopping the kill cinematic that had already begun. It has happened to me a few times, before and after this recent patch. It's so bizarre. 

I've seen it several times pre-patch. It's some sort of bug. Hope they fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...