bewareofbears

[Poll] Small Maps: Like them or hate them?

Small Maps  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Like or hate them?

• Hate

Something new. Definitely lacks the suspense that the larger maps do.

I prefer larger maps but these are fun too. Just have to adapt a different style.

I really like the smaller maps because of the terrain is different with hills & trees everywhere plus the fog!  It feels like a new map since they moved where everything spawns like cars, phone house might be in the barn sometimes, & Jasons shack in new locations.  

If they would've added the swimwear n emotes, I wouldn't be able to turn this game off I swear. The main problem is PS4 matchmaking or the servers are screwed up royally, I could only play private matches or if I'm lucky a public one with a few ppl.

I voted like. Though I have to be honest they don't feel all that different to me size-wise. Maybe because I gave the game a break for a bit.

Like the graphical enhancements though. 

New bugs aside, I am pleasantly surprised with the new maps. I was afraid it was too little too late in regards to "new content" but I find them very refreshing. Even though they are smaller versions of existing maps, they feel brand new. Very happy 

I like them, as well as the new intros.

Of course. They offset this with the new window mechanics being a huge negative. Who the hell asked for that change?

Also they kinda shot themselves in a foot with the small map idea, because what's gonna happen now after they release their next new map UNLESS its already SMALL is if they release the new map and people want a SMALLER version of an already big map.

So Part 4 small or Part 5 small or Part 6/7 whatever small it may be. So now the pressure will be there to create TWO versions of every map.

Also...I REALLY want them to include all 3 escapes on the bigger maps. I think it might be too OP in favor of counselor on the smaller maps though.

Can't vote yet as it's too soon.  Excited for anything new to do and I like the new intros.  

Seem very Counselor-friendly though. Need more time to decide. 

2 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I like them. :) I like the faster pace for the most part. 

I love the new god mode for counselors while climbing through windows.

REALLY adds to the fast paced action for Jason. :lol:

5RUxAf1.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 2

The new maps are awesome.The new intros are awesome. The improved atmosphere is awesome. Items not falling through the ground when you die.Awesome. No team killing. Awesome. We are getting close to what the creators intended. Keep up the good work guys. This game is dare i say AWESOME.

Haven't been able to play them yet. Can't find a lobby on ps4 and my first game on Xbox I crashed to dashboard. After downloading updates for both consoles and having problems immediately with both I gave up for the night maybe tomorrow will be better. This game makes me want to jump through a window most of the time. Beyond frustrating. 

I like them. I think the misty fog atmosphere really adds to them. The cinematic intros are great.

1 hour ago, GhostWolfViking said:

5RUxAf1.gif

giphy.gif

Hahaha that bottom shot of J3 accurately depicts how I felt when I first played Jason after the new update. 

We have to make window's break again!

I like that they are optional, and add to the map selection instead of replacing the classics.

but I do dislike them compared to the original maps.  the original map sizes are standard, how much more possibilities, more uses for stealth, and more immersive pacing instead of arcadey.

Not saying small maps don't have their plus sides, it does add some frantic moments, and helps counselors group up with others before getting caught, sometimes, but I would say the small maps dumb down the game as a whole, and may spoil a side of the community to want smaller, fast paced maps, which really just panders to ADHD and short attention span people. and there's already too much fast paced games out there. 

F13th game has a more unique and precious atmosphere to it with the full sized maps adding more exploration and epic survival to the whole thing.

Plus you got to factor that smaller maps result in shorter matches = not fun or not good enough for insatiable fans that want more out of their session.

Especially when you factor in:

1. the amount of time waiting for players in lobby

2. the amount of time waiting for everyone to ready up

3. the loading screen time

4. the waiting for players last minute player invites part

5. the map cinematic sequence.

6. beginning to start playing.

and that's not factoring in EXTRA TIME spent if say a lobby crashes, or the host leaves, people have to find a new room, then the time spent is increased back to #1 factor.  

Smaller maps really are not a good thing for this particular game in general.   People don't get the most out of the waiting and their play sessions if the sessions are rushed, shorter and smaller bite sized sessions.  this also leads to less cabins, less exploration, at their core, the smaller maps are just too SHALLOW compared to the standard original map sizes.   brand new maps should be sized more like the original maps

So generally, I find the small maps a step backwards, or step down from the original maps,  they do provide a different way to experience the maps, but really, it's like splitting a soccer field in half, and what hardcore fan wants less than more?

smaller maps results in getting less out of each session. 

• Like 3

After playing the new maps some more. I still enjoy them, and there's some clever designs, especially in the back roads of Packinack. That car escape by the lake is daunting :DWhat I like about the small map's is how dense they are. Lots of trees, tents, rocks ect.

However I hope small maps never replace large maps. 

Whatever the next map is I hope they release 2 versions, large and small, if this becomes the norm, I'm okay with that.

• Like 1

I was surprisingly pleased with the smaller maps! I have only played a handful of matches but I think they played faster. There are the same amount of items so they are located more densely on the smaller maps. I had a car fully repaired in under 3 minutes on a couple of occasions. I haven't spawned as Jason yet but I will be on for several hours tonight after work! I have the same complaints as most with host migration/dedicated servers (and I still haven't found a Pamela tape lol,) but all in all, I think they did a great job with this game and are still improving.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 PS4 - SayIWont502   -   Add me. See you at camp! :)

I think there's a misconception that escaping in the car is easier because the maps are smaller, but actually, the opposite is true.

There aren't a ton of side roads/trails to use as detours. The main roads are more narrow. The increased foliage makes it much more difficult to off road. The one thing I do best in this game is driving, and I can tell you that navigating these new maps is not simple at all. The skill level required for driving--especially against a good Jason--is considerably higher on the small maps, imo.

I'm still indifferent or torn maybe.  The small maps are fun and different but I've yet to see a boat on any of them have heard there are not boats on the smaller maps.  No big deal if the base random selection of maps doesn't include the small maps but if you can get a small map at any time kind of bummer for any Jason with water speed.  Kind of don't see why you wouldn't just want to play Savini Jason exclusively in the small maps he can practically shift the entire distance of the map in two shifts and gobble up every door between and if there's no threat of ever having to deal with a boat why not.

I was extremely skeptical about these but have to say, I enjoy them ALOT more than I anticipated.

I like the reworked graphics that has them darker and foggier; I like the grimey windows. I wish they would implement those to the original maps.

Playwise I am also enjoying them. Driving is crazy and leads to some tense stuff with how winding and crazy the curves are. They also seem to demand a different approach as Jason, but I think the window break prompt really takes something from Jaystar. With the objectives being pressured so quickly, especially with a full lobby, Jason literally needs every second to be doing damage or setting up.

Definitely prefer the smaller versions, fast paced and more happening at once. Although your probably more likely to be found by Jason, it is easier to collect items to escape. Excited for a new map though, looking forward to it. :) 

This game does drive you crazy with the loooooooooong loading screens & multiple ones at that!  Then of course nobody readys up!! even if they want to play so bad?? 

5 hours ago, Definitelynotjason said:

Sorry to keep refining your answer. I haven't played more than 1 game on the new patch. I certainly did not get what I wanted this time around, so I am trying to decide if this game offers me what I want.

The intensity is about the thrill of being caught being more real now?

Again, sorry to put you on the spot, just, there is so much on the board right now about what is sucky now, I want to take the oppurtunity to find out what is not so sucky, and you seem to have some ideas.

They are superior in atmosphere to the big maps. A bit more claustrophobic. They don't always play faster, but they put big J in your face more readily. You can't loiter and take your time as much. Same goes for J. Overall I like them. They are more friendly to noob campers/casuals and tougher for Jason which I'm sure you've heard about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GhostWolfViking said:

5RUxAf1.gif

giphy.gif

Definitely see what you mean- killing counselors as they entered or exited windows was something that I did or tried to do often. Still, I like the smaller maps. ;)

19 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Definitely see what you mean- killing counselors as they entered or exited windows was something that I did or tried to do often. Still, I like the smaller maps. ;)

Agree. I have enjoyed ambushing people at windows in the past :) ...but in these more intense smaller maps though...the mechanics have saved my skin more than once (before Jason kills me anyway) ? So as far as smaller maps go, I think it works.