Deeify

Halloween vs Friday vs Nightmare

Halloween vs Friday vs Nightmare  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite series?

• Halloween
    • Friday the 13th
    • A Nightmare on Elm Street

I'm curious on who would win.  What's your favorite series of the three big dog slashers?

My vote goes to Nightmare on Elm Street.  Freddy is my boy but there's a place in my heart for all 3.

Nightmare. So much more nuanced, a lot of depth, more creative and original, sympathetic characters and final girls that had arcs, and it retained the fun of slashers in the 80's.

• Like 1

Michael gets my vote. Honestly, I love all 3 series, as well as a few more horror franchises. The original Halloween and it's sequel really stuck with me for a long time when I was a kid. I think it the reason is that there was no explanation for his rage. He wasn't a mongloid whose mommy was brutally murdered in front of him, he wasn't a child killer who was burned by vengeful parents, he just snapped at 6 and killed his sister. That just creeped me TF out, because it felt like something that could happen.

• Like 2

Friday the 13th gets my love. I love the setting and the lore surrounding Pamela and  Jason Voorhees. The movies are fun to watch and Tommy Jarvis is one of the few  male slasher protagonists with depth and character development. And while Halloween may be considered the progenitor of slasher movies( which kinda annoys me as a salty Texas Chainsaw fangirl), Friday The 13th is the genre's mother and gave birth to many of the slasher tropes that are still present to this day.

BUT...

The Halloween series is definitely my number two. The first four and H20 gave me  some delightful scares and I believe Michael Myers is the most chilling slasher villain ever put on screen. You can just see the pure, inhuman evil radiating off of him. It's commonly believed that Michael isn't as "badass" as the other two, but if you don't consider him mounting a girl on a wall with a shotgun badass, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sorry Fredhead, your series is good too but I prefer my slasher villains to not talk lol. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LadySansaLannister said:

Friday the 13th gets my love. I love the setting and the lore surrounding Pamela and  Jason Voorhees. The movies are fun to watch and Tommy Jarvis is one of the few  male slasher protagonists with depth and character development. And while Halloween may be considered the progenitor of slasher movies( which kinda annoys me as a salty Texas Chainsaw fangirl), Friday The 13th is the genre's mother and gave birth to many of the slasher tropes that are still present to this day.

BUT...

The Halloween series is definitely my number two. The first four and H20 gave me  some delightful scares and I believe Michael Myers is the most chilling slasher villain ever put on screen. You can just see the pure, inhuman evil radiating off of him. It's commonly believed that Michael isn't as "badass" as the other two, but if you don't consider him mounting a girl on a wall with a shotgun badass, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sorry Fredhead, your series is good too but I prefer my slasher villains to not talk lol. 

I love the silent stalker killers for sure.  I guess for me, I just love a smart yet maniacle killer.  The way Freddy is so inventive and toys with you first is what makes him so scary.

I will say, being an unstoppable, unkillable, super strong walking zombie has it's appeal though. ;-)

If it weren't for the Zombie remakes, I may have picked Halloween. I've seen the first Halloween more times than any other film from all three series. A friend bought me it on VHS when I was about 12-13 and I watched it tons. It's the right mix of budget filmmaking and horror. Halloween II is probably in my top 10 favourite movies though my top 10 is fairly fluid. Anyway, picked Friday the 13th.

Friday first, then...y'know, I'd probably say Halloween. H1 and 4 in particular.

Freddy is iconic, but I never quite got on with the Nightmare movies, as imaginative as they could be, as much as the adventures of Jason and Michael.

• Like 1

Although Nightmare is my jam, Halloween is a must watch on Halloween day for me.  It's a ritual now.  Every October is horror movie month for me and I watch nothing but until the 31st.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:47 AM, matisangry said:

texas chainsaw massacre 1& 2 over all of them. 

We might have to add that series to the next poll.  Can't discount some Chainsaw Massacre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragonborn said:

No love for Scream?

Alright, this is going to have to be an all out Destroy All Monsters brawl lol.  Child's Play, Hellraiser, CandyMan, it could get epic.

2 minutes ago, Deeify said:

Alright, this is going to have to be an all out Destroy All Monsters brawl lol.  Child's Play, Hellraiser, CandyMan, it could get epic.

Seems like a game you can play on flash back in the day

LOL

I love all three series, so it was hard to pick, but I chose Friday the 13th. There's just something so great about the formulaic campiness and cheesiness that remains prevalent throughout the first 8 films. I also really liked how the reboot, despite having some obvious dark humor, had a lot more serious tone than some of the others. The only reason I picked it over Halloween was because Halloween (imo) has more bad sequels than Friday does. With Friday, I don't like Parts 9, X, or FVJ. With Halloween, I don't like 4, 5, 6, 8, or the second Rob Zombie one, but I love all the rest immensely. And Freddy? Don't get me wrong, I love him too, but I can honestly say if given the option, I'd only rewatch the original and New Nightmare.

15 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

I love all three series, so it was hard to pick, but I chose Friday the 13th. There's just something so great about the formulaic campiness and cheesiness that remains prevalent throughout the first 8 films. I also really liked how the reboot, despite having some obvious dark humor, had a lot more serious tone than some of the others. The only reason I picked it over Halloween was because Halloween (imo) has more bad sequels than Friday does. With Friday, I don't like Parts 9, X, or FVJ. With Halloween, I don't like 4, 5, 6, 8, or the second Rob Zombie one, but I love all the rest immensely. And Freddy? Don't get me wrong, I love him too, but I can honestly say if given the option, I'd only rewatch the original and New Nightmare.

*Gasp*. You don't like Halloween 4???

s-75c89c78312c1090e4fc916175ce15c7d19c9b

I like the first fifteen or so minutes, and the shotgun kill. Rest of the movie doesn't do much for me. Maybe I need to rewatch it, it's been years

11 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

I like the first fifteen or so minutes, and the shotgun kill. Rest of the movie doesn't do much for me. Maybe I need to rewatch it, it's been years

That one's not only my favorite Halloween but one of my favorite horror movies in general.  Definitely worth a rewatch.

If the rest of the Nightmare movies were like the FIRST ONE, I'd be saying Nightmare On Elm Street. Sadly, that is not so...

The F13 movies are ones my wife and I watch over again, from time to time. It just has the right mix of awesome kills and ridiculousness to make them fun watches in either a casual sense, or for a full on thriller in the dark (well, 1-3, especially... 4 and 6 to a lesser extent...5, 7, and X to a much lesser extent... and... well... 9 never happened, okay?).

The first Nightmare has such a great atmosphere and style to it, that I just wish they stuck to for the series, but they got carried away with Freddy in a more comedic way. Some awesome moments and ideas in the later movies, but even the lighting just went all wrong. I just sometimes think about - 'what if Part 3 and 4 were done with a darker style, like the original, instead of fully lit Freddy being a little too cheesy?' And then I wake up to my nightmare... haha! :D

Still... Jason takes the cake (even if he never really took Manhattan).

Halloween... meh... I am not impressed. Props for being first, but I just don't find those movies suspenseful... I find them boring. I just recently watched 1 and 2 and will continue through the series, but I'm just not diggin' it.

I should have assumed Friday the 13th would win in a...ya know...Friday the 13th forum.

Halloween but I know I'm a bit biased being that Halloween was the first slasher I got into.

On 8/31/2017 at 11:13 PM, bewareofbears said:

If it weren't for the Zombie remakes, I may have picked Halloween. I've seen the first Halloween more times than any other film from all three series. A friend bought me it on VHS when I was about 12-13 and I watched it tons. It's the right mix of budget filmmaking and horror. Halloween II is probably in my top 10 favourite movies though my top 10 is fairly fluid. Anyway, picked Friday the 13th.

I know what you mean. I personally choose to ignore every movie except Halloween 1,2 and H20. Every other movie made or will be made never happened.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:08 AM, 1st2Die said:

Halloween but I know I'm a bit biased being that Halloween was the first slasher I got into.

I know what you mean. I personally choose to ignore every movie except Halloween 1,2 and H20. Every other movie made or will be made never happened.

I prefer Halloween 1, 2, 4, and 5.  I love H20 but there's something about the original 4(not counting part 3 obviously) that I love.

Friday the 13 always but i think it should be with texas chainsaw instead of nightmare

The big 3

1jason 

2micheal 

3leatherface

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to mention: best movies in each series

Elm Street- original and New Nightmare 

Halloween- first three

Friday the 13th- original and Jason Lives 

22 hours ago, Deeify said:

I prefer Halloween 1, 2, 4, and 5.  I love H20 but there's something about the original 4(not counting part 3 obviously) that I love.

For me it would just be nostalgia if anything. Halloween 4 and 5 didn't really do much for me and in my opinion, it added unneeded layers to it. Halloween 1, 2 and H20 tells a simple story without all the extra baggage.