Sign in to follow this  
TheHansonGoons

And now Tobe Hooper...

Yet another horror legend passes this year. Director of some great horror Tobe Hooper passes. What are some of your favorite Tobe Hooper films? Obviously Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 and 2 are my first choices. Salem's Lot is number 3. I enjoyed Funhouse quite a bit. Poltergeist, Toolbox Murders, and his work with John Carpenter on Body Bags.

• Like 1

Wow! That is some sad news @TheHansonGoons. First, it was John Hurt, the original face hugger victim. Then it was Private Hudson himself, Bill Paxton. I was crushed when I heard the godfather of the modern zombies, the great George A. Romero, had passed. Followed by Haruo Nakajima, the original Godzilla, now this. 2017 has been a rough year. (I know I am missing many more, including Roger Moore, Jerry Lewis, Don Rickles...etc...) :( I would have to say my top 10 Hooper films are: 1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Poltergeist 3. Salem's Lot 4. Toolbox Murders 5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 6. The Damned Thing (Masters of Horror series) 7. The Funhouse 8. Lifeforce 9. Body Bags and 10. The Mangler. Even some of his later films that kind of went off the rails were fun to watch. He had a great eye for practical gore (that's not overdone), and an unusually keen sense of suspense.

Funny thing about The Funhouse. Dean Koontz was hired to write the novelization of The Funhouse based on the screenplay. So, it is one of the few instances where the flick came out before the book. I read the book, and it was ok, but the backstory actually got kind of boring in parts.

R.I.P. Mr. Hooper, you will be missed.

Edit: I liked your post because this was the first I heard about Tobe Hooper. I definitely didn't like the news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rexfellis said:

Wow! That is some sad news @TheHansonGoons. First, it was John Hurt, the original face hugger victim. Then it was Private Hudson himself, Bill Paxton. I was crushed when I heard that the godfather of the modern zombies, the great George A. Romero, had passed. Followed by Haruo Nakajima, the original Godzilla, now this. 2017 has been a rough year. (I know I am missing many more, including Roger Moore, Jerry Lewis, Don Rickles...etc...) :( I would have to say my top 10 Hooper films are: 1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Poltergeist 3. Salem's Lot 4. Toolbox Murders 5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 6. The Damned Thing (Masters of Horror series) 7. The Funhouse 8. Lifeforce 9. Body Bags and 10. The Mangler. Even some of his later films that kind of went off the rails were fun to watch. He had a great eye for practical gore (that's not overdone), and an unusually keen sense of suspense.

Funny thing about The Funhouse. Dean Koontz was hired to write the novelization of The Funhouse based on the screenplay. So, it is one of the few instances where the flick came out before the book. I read the book, and it was ok, but the backstory actually got kind of boring in parts.

R.I.P. Mr. Hooper, you will be missed.

Edit: I liked your post because this was the first I heard about Tobe Hooper. I definitely didn't like the news.

Haha no one likes the news obviously, but thanks for enjoying the post. I am sure the forums send out their condolences to the Hooper family and horror fans everywhere.

I don't know directors too well but seems this guy was involved in a fair bit of decent horror flicks. May he RIP, sad to hear so many celebs going at the same time 

Craven, Romero, and now Hooper gone, sad day not just for fans of horror, but fans of film in general, TCM and Poltergeist are classics that have had quite a bit of influence on the genre.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

What are some of your favorite Tobe Hooper films? 

I loved Lifeforce. Yes, for the obvious reasons, but also because of how it kept changing what kind of movie it was for each act.

1 hour ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I loved Lifeforce. Yes, for the obvious reasons, but also because of how it kept changing what kind of movie it was for each act.

Yep, both of them! :lol: I liked Lifeforce too. It was a unique, original movie. That kind of thing is unheard of these days.