Both are good, but I agree with Ragnarok. Composure helps immensely, and what little repair increase you get from Deborah is negligible if you are decent at the skill tests.

I like AJ, if you're good you'll hit your skill checks whether there's 2 or 4, and I like the run early game; if you catch a bad spawn, AJ has the goods to just run away from early game Jason, and not ping for mid game Jason.

4 minutes ago, Jason4prez said:

I don't know why but I prefer aj

I used to main Deborah, but AJ is a little easier to survive Jason contact with, so I switched. Her composure and ability to run are superior to Miss Kim's.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RAGNAR0K N ROLL said:

AJ I find to be a better all around choice especially if you solo. That composure is a big thing

AJ's composure is supposed to be better than Debs but like many have witnessed, AJ always gets scared or screams when the power gets cut off. I even used Nightowl perk but she still gets scared.

I've heard that Deborah doesn't really scream at all when it gets dark. I only hear Deb when she's out of stamina or hurt n Jason is on her. What do you guys think?

TL;DR at bottom

AJ's suppose to be more for lone wolfing and finding things on your own and fixing stuff and leaving. She also boasts the highest combined stamina and speed out of the repair trio which means she gets to locations quicker than the other two. She also has the highest stealth at 10 though this doesn't mean much when compared to Deborah as Deborah can also jog silently with 9 stealth but it does mean AJ can sprint quietly with a certain perk. AJ however, has the lowest luck in the game making her the worst in group play (as in grouping up and fighting Jason together as a team) because she will break melee weapons easily (the bat will most likely break after 1 or 2 swings) and will have to rely on long range weapons to help with against Jason which will typically leave her with one shot to help without finding another weapon. AJ has a 7 in repair, making her have the lowest repair stat of the repair stealth trio, but these skillchecks are not very difficult they are just shorter than Deborah and LaChappa's so having a 7 really isn't that bad as it allows her to have stats in other places. The last thing about AJ is her composure. 7 composure allows her to be alone longer and get so afraid as fast meaning she doesn't appear during sense as often as Deb or LaChappa. This lets her not get as punished as hard for being alone longer than others.

Deborah's suppose to be flexible between being by herself and being in a group, every now and then assisting at swinging at Jason if need be. Deborah has the same speed as AJ but has lower stamina which means she'll run as fast as AJ but for not as long. This makes Deborah more dependent on teammates in some situations compared to AJ (though the difference isn't that huge). She does have 9 stealth which means she can jog silently making her valuable in going solo, but cannot sprint silently with a certain perk. Deborah has a higher luck stat than AJ at 3 which may not seem like much but will make her more useful with the bat as she will get more value from it as it won't break as easily as it would with AJ. This makes Deborah better at group play because she can contribute to helping/protecting a teammate or an objective more often than AJ. Deborah is still dependent on long range weapons like AJ but not as much as she can still get value out of the baseball bat (which has a 100% stun iirc but breaks easily) due to her luck stat. Deborah has a 10 in repair which makes repairing a breeze, it is easily her best stat but keep in mind that having a 7, 8, and 9 are also good, having this high a repair stat can actually hurt her in other areas, as repairing with the said repair stats from before is not difficult. Having a 10 does make it practically impossible to mess up on repairs though, so there's that. Deborah's composure at 5 means she has decent composure and can be alone for awhile but not as long as AJ. This allows Deborah to tread between staying alone and meeting up with a group.

LaChappa (I know you didn't really ask about him but he's the 3rd of the repair stealth trio, so I'll mention him anyway) is suppose to be the group player Repairer. He stays with a group because he needs people to protect him. This is due to his extremely abysmal stamina and speed stats at 2 meaning he will almost always depend on a teammate to help bail him out of a bad situation should Jason find him. To add on that, LaChappa has the lowest stealth of the trio, at 8. This means LaChappa cannot jog silently but will make much smaller "white circles" when he does compared to others with worse stealth stats.  He has the highest luck of the repair trio with a 5, meaning his weapon is less likely to break than the others making him better in combat situations and supporting an ally would got grabbed more often. This gives him a better use in groups compared to both AJ and Deborah as he can help with teammates more often in group play as his weapon is less likely to break, making the baseball bat a good choice on him. LaChappa has the same repair stat as Deborah. Refer back to Deborah's section of repair. LaChappa's composure is the lowest of the trio, at 4. While this is not super terrible, its lower than Deborah's which means he will freak out more than she will and faster too. LaChapp will benefit the most out of the trio from being with others because being near other counselors keeps one's composure in check.

tl;dr:

AJ is usually best as a lonewolf due to her: Good Repair, Decent Speed, Decent Stamina, Top Notch Stealth, Worst Luck, Good Composure 

Deborah is best as a flex pick, she can work with a group if she wants or she can work alone due to her: Top Notch Repair, Decent speed, Pretty Good Stealth, "Meh" luck, Decent Composure

Lachappa is best in group play where he can help his team fight off Jason around objectives due to his: Top Notch Repair, Bad Speed, Bad Stamina, Good Stealth, Decent Luck, Below Average Composure 

THAT BEING SAID

AJ is probably best in random games due to the fact she's really independent, Deborah treads slightly behind her because of her lower stamina and the fact she can't lone wolf as well as AJ.

Don't think the difference is that big though, tbh.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Miss AJ said:

AJ's composure is supposed to be better than Debs but like many have witnessed, AJ always gets scared or screams when the power gets cut off. I even used Nightowl perk but she still gets scared.

I've heard that Deborah doesn't really scream at all when it gets dark. I only hear Deb when she's out of stamina or hurt n Jason is on her. What do you guys think?

Despite my name on here I prefer Deborah over A.J.

I used to play only A.J. Unfortunately I'm crap at the skill checks so I switched to Deborah. You are correct every time the power gets cut she doesn't scream where as A.J. always does.

8 hours ago, aubreezeey said:

I love Deborah but I main as AJ cause she has better composure. Who do you think is better? 

A.J. is far better because you can actually haul ass with her & her composure will give you nice a minute to rebuild your stamina before Jason catches up. After Lachappa, Deborah is always the easiest for me to catch and kill. And the only thing that usually saves a Deborah is either a fellow counselor or a pocket knife. Otherwise, once I lock on to a Deborah, it's curtains.

I would like a better chance of staying alive so AJ would be my pick:ph34r: But in private matches I would go with Deborah.

• Like 1

Deborah has better repair and better luck, which means her weapon isn't as prone to break and she doesn't take as much damage when hitting a trap or climbing through a broken window.

Composure is not as big of a stat as people are making it out to be. Once Jason hits rage mode, he can sense you no matter what your composure level is. 

11 hours ago, Miss AJ said:

Maybe I haven't played Deborah in a while but I have AJ set up for super stealth and nightowl. Really unless I run into too many dead bodies I can last a good part of the match alone and only get to the "wide eyed" look. She just doesn't seem to get scared. Unless injured or being chase pad by some big palookah in a mask.

Besides as other have said, she's a far better lone wilder and since 90% of the time I'm playing solo, she works better.

Neither of these counselors is designed to lone wolf. Lone wolves need Speed to not be snuffed out quickly by a good Jason. Sense spam trumps Stealth counselors with Sense avoidance perks. Deborah is of course the better option in a group due to Luck. 

They have identical Speed. They have only a 1% difference in stamina pools. Their stun durations are pathetic with their low Luck and Strength stats, meaning you want Deborah's 1.5 second faster repair if you need to get a stun yourself and repair in Jason's face. 3 Luck vs. 1 Luck giving 5 Wrench hits vs. 4 is also a clear win for Deborah. The Composure difference isn't really noticeable when in a hiding spot or in a group or even while in a solo chase really. You're basically already dead anyway in a solo foot chase with either of them if the Jason chasing you plays well and has no objective notification within 2-3 minutes that makes him stop tunneling you. (If the Jason doesn't play well, the extra Luck matters more than the Composure.)

Huh? A.J. is absolutely designed to be a lone wolf. In fact, she plays stronger as a lone wolf if you know how to properly utilize her. I can't count the amount of times I've been a lone wolf as A.J. and got so much done/escaped. I've gotten away from Jason more with A.J. than Deborah, largely due to her being faster. It may not be by a hell of a lot, but it's enough that I'm able to haul ass, recollect and then exact the next part of my game plan. You're right, Deborah does work better in a group, but if I catch either character alone, A.J. has a far better chance of evading me and living longer than Deborah, especially if we're in a section where the cabins aren't close together.

Don't get me wrong, I do love playing as Deborah, but imo, she does have more drawbacks than A.J. Namely the speed thing, which has gotten me fucked over so many times as well as others that I've seen play the character.

1 hour ago, konamijudge said:

Neither of these counselors is designed to lone wolf. Lone wolves need Speed to not be snuffed out quickly by a good Jason. Sense spam trumps Stealth counselors with Sense avoidance perks. Deborah is of course the better option in a group due to Luck. 

They have identical Speed. They have only a 1% difference in stamina pools. Their stun durations are pathetic with their low Luck and Strength stats, meaning you want Deborah's 1.5 second faster repair if you need to get a stun yourself and repair in Jason's face. 3 Luck vs. 1 Luck giving 5 Wrench hits vs. 4 is also a clear win for Deborah. The Composure difference isn't really noticeable when in a hiding spot or in a group or even while in a solo chase really. You're basically already dead anyway in a solo foot chase with either of them if the Jason chasing you plays well and has no objective notification within 2-3 minutes that makes him stop tunneling you. (If the Jason doesn't play well, the extra Luck matters more than the Composure.)

Deb has 3's, AJ has 4's, both at speed and stamina- since the scale is a ten point scale, i'm assuming its a 10% difference in both and speed/stamina, although it wouldn't shock me if it was 25%, since 3 is 75% of 4. Its definitely not a 1% difference with a ten point scale. You're a lot better off hoping an AJ can use her extra 20% speed/stamina than expecting to land a fifth stunning wrench shot with a Deb.

13 minutes ago, Emperiex said:

I've gotten away from Jason more with A.J. than Deborah, largely due to her being faster.

They both have 4 Speed. The difference between 3 and 4 Stamina is a 1% difference in stamina pool as measured by Rydog. I don't know where you're getting this idea that A.J.'s faster.

And you absolutely do need high Speed to lone wolf vs. a knowledgeable Jason that kills as efficiently as possible. Random quick play Jasons tend not to be nearly so efficient, so I can see why you might disagree on the lone wolf capability.

• Thanks 1

Two points:

1) I think the developers actually intended A.J. to play as a lone wolf.

2) The real-world mechanics of the game, as it stands right now, make that style impossible for her to achieve.

5 hours ago, konamijudge said:

They both have 4 Speed. The difference between 3 and 4 Stamina is a 1% difference in stamina pool as measured by Rydog. I don't know where you're getting this idea that A.J.'s faster.

And you absolutely do need high Speed to lone wolf vs. a knowledgeable Jason that kills as efficiently as possible. Random quick play Jasons tend not to be nearly so efficient, so I can see why you might disagree on the lone wolf capability.

Even without perks, when I play as A.J. and run at top speed I'm moving faster than Deborah so that's where the assertion comes from. I regularly get caught even running at full speed with Deborah. That doesn't happen much, if at all with A.J.

As Jason I kill Vanessa's for breakfast.

A good AJ player is hard to find and doesn't need speed or stamina to survive. Besides the spacing between cabins makes stamina a low benifit, low tier skill. With diminishing returns.

Especially when paired with low composure, which increases the fear rate makes the large stamina pool hard to gage, and very slow on refilling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dandop1984 said:

As Jason I kill Vanessa's for breakfast.

A good AJ player is hard to find and doesn't need speed or stamina to survive. Besides the spacing between cabins makes stamina a low benifit, low tier skill. With diminishing returns.

Especially when paired with low composure, which increases the fear rate makes the large stamina pool hard to gage, and very slow on refilling.

This is very true. Stamina and Speed are only important if you plan on a lot of long romantic back-forest jogs waiting to meet up with someone tall dark and handsome. I think people tend to over emphasize those stats. Don't get me wrong...sprinting Mach 1 because of high Speed and having Stamina to burn does come in handy, but they are not the end-all be-all stats (they make counselors with those stats higher new player friendly).

On to the OP's question:

Between AJ and Deb, I'd always choose Deb. Though I do like AJ. Deb is quiet enough and her Repair is superior - I'm a fixer by play style.

Between Deb and LaChappa, I'd always choose LaChappa. His Repair is the same, composure can be mitigated, and his Luck is more important than Composure anyways because it affects so many more things. Sure he is slug to run away with, but getting found and being caught is not entirely dependent on Speed or Stamina. LaChappa doesn't make much noise, and good use of hiding spots and cabin evasion will ensure he goes the distance.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people prefer A.J. over Deborah, but, I have pretty much always mained Deb. I like completing objectives, and I haven't really found it too difficult to lone wolf with her. Deborah fits my playstyle better and she's just so darn cute! :)

When I feel like playing aggressively, I usually choose Buggzy. But sometimes, I just play random and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 1