VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

4 Strengths & Weaknesses Overhaul (Updated Part 4 Jason)

23 posts in this topic

In light of the reveal of Part 4 Jason, here is my thread about Jason having 4 strengths and weaknesses, now updated to version 2.0. I've changed many things, take a look.

Before going into the list, some fundamental changes:

New Strengths & Weaknesses

Fear:

How quickly each Jason raises counselor fear.

• Neutral Fear: Original Fear rate.
  • Fear Strength: 2x fear gain rate.

Rage:
How quickly each Jason gains rage ability. Includes the Rage timer and how much the meter fills up with each counselor attack.

• Neutral Rage: Original Rage gain rate
  • +Rage: 30% faster Rage gain rate.

Modified Strengths & Weaknesses

Stalk:
Stalk now silences footsteps. This works in 3 tiers:

• -Stalk: Silent footsteps while slow-walking. Fast-walking & running have audible footsteps.
  • Neutral Stalk: Silent slow and fast-walking footsteps. Running has audible footsteps.
  • +Stalk: Entirely silent footsteps, be it walk, fast-walk, or running.

Throwing Knives:
No more knives in Jason's shack. The knives from the shack are added to every Jason's inventory except for those with a -Knives weakness. It is as follows:

• -Throwing Knives: Starts with zero knives,
  • Neutral Throwing Knives: Starts with 2 knives
  • +Throwing Knives: Starts with 6 knives.

I suspect these two knives were placed in Jason's shack to allow counselors a few seconds to roam at the start of the match. In lieu of these knives remaining in the shack, a short cinematic lasting about 8 seconds or so will play, introducing Jason to that player before control is given over.

Defense:
Consecutive attacks on Jason have a chance to turn off Jason's block temporarily. The Jason player can immediately re-block if they are paying close attention. The time frame is only 1 second, just enough to mean something without going overboard. Higher strength levels can increase the chance to lower Jason's block slightly.

• -Defense: 1 in 7 chance from a counselor with 5 strength with an Axe to temporarily disable block for 1 second. Counselors with 10 strength have a 1 in 5 chance.
  • Neutral Defense: 1 in 9 chance from a counselor with 5 strength with an Axe to temporarily disable block for 1 second. Counselors with 10 strength have a 1 in 7 chance.
  • +Defense: 1 in 11 chance from a counselor with 5 strength with an Axe to temporarily disable block for 1 second. Counselors with 10 strength have a 1 in 9 chance.

Sense:

After toggling Sense on then off, the meter no longer immediately recharges. The meter remains at its current position. To fully recharge, Sense must be allowed to fully deplete.

Destruction:
Doors and walls now have a new health system as follows:

• -Destruction: 7 hits to destroy fortified doors, 4 hits for locked doors and breakable walls, 2 hits for windowed doors.
  • Neutral Destruction: 5 hits to destroy fortified doors, 3 hits for locked doors and breakable walls, 2 hits for windowed doors.
  • +Destruction: 3 hits to destroy fortified doors, 2 hits for locked doors and breakable walls, 1 hit for windowed doors

In this system every Jason with a neutral Destruction would in a way get a buff against fortified doors by requiring 1 less hit, but would now take 2 hits to get into the bottom floor of Higgins and Packanack for example. A worthwhile trade-off in my opinion. It would make locking those doors actually worth it.

Stun Resistance:
In addition to Stun Resistance as it already stands, now consecutive stuns against Jason build up his stun resistance the more he gets stunned, up to a point, for a limited time frame. This would "cool down" to normal stun resistance while not getting attacked. Think of it as a meter, similar to the struggle meter. It is dependent on each Jason's stun resistance, as follows:

• -Stun Resistance: 4% additional stun resistance per stun, capped at 12%, depletes over the course of 8 seconds.
  • Neutral Stun Resistance: 6% additional stun resistance per stun, capped at 18%, depletes over the course of 13 seconds.
  • +Stun Resistance: 8% additional stun resistance per stun, capped at 24%, depletes over the course 18 seconds.

Grip Strength:

Jason's grip now spikes counselor fear if the counselor is able to break free from his grasp. The strength of Jason's grip varies how much stamina it consumes. This does not include escapes by pocket knives or being freed by a teammate attacking Jason, only if the counselor breaks free by themselves.

• -Grip Strength: +10% Fear gain upon breaking free.
  • Neutral Grip Strength: +20% Fear gain upon breaking free.
  • +Grip Strength: +30% Fear gain upon breaking free.

And now for the list. Credit to @bewareofbears for the foundation for Roy's stats.

Credit to @NoOneK9503 as the inspiration for the Uber Jason stats(I changed a couple of them though).

I am open to feedback. If you believe some of these need changing then let me know and why you feel that way.

Jason Overhaul List

Part 2:

Strengths

• +Can Run - Self-explanatory.
  • +Traps - This Jason starts with 7 traps.
  • +Morph - Faster cooldown, so he can morph more frequently than other Jasons.
  • +Stalk - This Jason can remain in "Stalk" longer than others. Can run silently.

Weaknesses

• -Shift - Slower speed and longer cooldown on this ability.
  • -Defense - This Jason has lower HP and lower chance to successfully block attacks.
  • -Water Speed  - This Jason is very slow in the water.
  • -Destruction - Increased amount of hits required to break doors/walls.

Part 2 Added Strengths & Weaknesses

• +Stalk: Added to increase stealth ability and better reflect the film.
  • -Destruction: Added to counter the high level of map control.

Part 3
Strengths

• +Weapon Strength - This Jason can deal more damage with his weapon against counselors.
  • +Grip Strength - It's harder to break out of this Jason's grasp, once he grabs you.
  • +Defense - This Jason has a higher chance to successfully block attacks and slightly more HP.

Weaknesses

• -Stun Resistance - This Jason gets stunned more frequently than others.
  • -Sense Duration - Once sense is activated, it doesn't last very long for this Jason.
  • -Stalk - Shorter duration on this ability. Can only walk silently.
  • -Throwing Knives - This Jason starts with no throwing knives.

Part 3 Added Strengths & Weaknesses

• +Defense - Added to make Part 3 a melee powerhouse. Also because the new guard break mechanic I came up with will make it more viable to combat Jason without being unfair.
  • -Throwing Knives - Added to limit Part 3's ranged ability and thus emphasize the melee focus of the character.

Part 4
Strengths

• +Weapon Strength - This Jason can deal more damage with his weapon against counselors.
  • +Destruction - Reduced amount of hits required to break doors/walls.
  • +Stalk - This Jason can remain in "Stalk" longer than others. Can Run silently.

Weaknesses

• -Traps - This Jason only has 3 traps to use.
  • -Grip Strength - Counselors can break free from this Jason's grasp faster than others.
  • -Less Hit Points - This Jason has lower HP than other Jasons.

Part 4 Changed Strengths & Weaknesses

• -Water Speed: Removed to improve map control slightly. In its place are -Less HP and -Grip Strength to make him more vulnerable in combat to better reflect the film.
  • +Stalk: Added to better reflect the film.

Part 5(Roy)
Strengths

+Stalk - Roy can remain in "Stalk" longer than others. Can fast-walk silently.
    +Weapon Strength - Roy can deal more damage with his weapon against counselors.
    +Stun Resistance - The chance Roy will be stunned will be lower.
    +Rage - Roy gains Rage mode sooner than others.

Weaknesses

-Sense Cooldown - Once activated, Roy's sense has a longer cooldown.
    -Can't Run - Can fast walk, but can't run.
    -Defense - Roy has lower HP and lower chance to successfully block attacks.
    -Grip Strength - Counselors can break free from Roy's grasp faster than most Jasons. Same strength as Part 4 and Savini.

Part 6
Strengths

• +Throwing Knives - This Jason starts with 6 throwing knives.
  • +Sense Duration - This Jason's sense lasts longer once activated.
  • +Shift - Greater speed and faster cooldown on this ability.
  • +Grip Strength - It's harder to break out of this Jason's grasp, once he grabs you.

Weaknesses

• -Defense - This Jason has lower HP and lower chance to successfully block attacks.
  • -Can't Run - Can fast walk, but can't run.
  • -Morph - Slower cooldown, so he cannot morph as frequently as other Jasons.

Part 6 Added Strengths & Weaknesses

• +Grip Strength - Added because it's a zombie Jason and to allow for flexibility with environmental kills.
  • -Stalk - Added because as Part 6 Jason plays in the current game Stalk is not frequently used anyway. Additionally he was slightly less sneaky in that film.

Part 7
Strengths

• +Sense Cooldown - Faster cooldown with this ability.
  • +Water Speed - Very fast in water, slightly faster that the boat.
  • +Fear - This Jason raises counselor fear twice as fast.

Weaknesses

• -Destruction - Increased amount of hits required to break doors/walls.

Part 7 Changed Strengths & Weaknesses

• +Fear - Added to allow Part 7 to keep track of counselors more and to keep their mobility down with stamina regeneration decay from fear.
  • - Traps - Removed for -Stun Resistance to allow Part 7 to have more map control ability. -Stun Resistance is also more accurate to the film.
  • -Destruction - Added to provide a counter to being able to track counselors much better than any other Jason. Because Part 7 has a one-handed weapon, which is faster than two-handed weapons, the -Destruction isn't as bad because one-handed weapons have faster attack speed than two-handed ones.

Part 8
Strengths

• +Water Speed - Very fast in water, slightly faster that the boat.
  • +Stalk - This Jason can remain in "Stalk" longer than others. Can fast-walk silently

Weaknesses

• -Sense Duration - Once sense is activated, it doesn't last very long for this Jason.

Part 8 Changed Strengths & Weaknesses

• +Morph - Added to better reflect the film. Allows Part 8 to have more map control.
  • -Grip Strength - Removed in favor of -Throwing Knives and -Stun Resistance to reduce his close range effectiveness when given the extra map control. Weak Grip Strength didn't make sense for me since Part 8 punched a guy's head off.

Part 9
Strengths

• +Stalk  - This Jason can remain in "Stalk" longer than others. Can fast-walk silently.
  • +Stun Resistance  - The chance this Jason will be stunned will be lower.
  • +Rage - This Jason gains Rage mode sooner than others.

Weaknesses

• -Less Hit Points  - This Jason has lower HP than other Jasons.
  • -Traps - This Jason only has 3 traps to use.

Part 9 Added Strengths & Weaknesses

• +Rage - Added to make up for being more vulnerable to death. Also reflects the film. Jason was seriously pissed in that film.
  • -Sense Duration - Added because it best balances against the enhanced close and medium ranged ability buffs. Also reflects the film because Jason lost track of the FBI agent at the start of the film.

Savini
Strengths

• +Fear - This Jason raises counselor fear more than others.

Weaknesses

• -Water Speed - This Jason is very slow in the water.
  • -Grip Strength - Counselors can break free from this Jason's grasp faster than others.

Savini Added Strengths & Weaknesses

• +Fear - Added because he's fresh out of hell and damn if that ain't scary.
  • -Throwing Knives - Added to limit Savini's close & medium range effectiveness.

Jason X
Strengths

• +Stalk - This Jason can remain in "Stalk" longer than others. Can fast-walk silently.
  • +Rage - This Jason gains Rage mode sooner than others.

Weaknesses

• -Shift - Normal speed but longer cooldown on this ability.
  • -Traps - This Jason only has 3 Traps to use.

Uber Jason
Strengths

• +Defense - This Jason has a higher chance to successfully block attacks and slightly more HP
  • +Stun Resistance  - The chance this Jason will be stunned will be lower.

Weaknesses

On 8/16/2017 at 11:54 PM, bewareofbears said:

Interesting ideas. I really want silent footsteps in stalk.

That actually would be something I'd really like to have. Had a buddy the other night say, "I know you're there, I can hear you moving." Despite being completely careful about creeping up to his cabin and setting up a great ambush outside the front window he was getting ready to climb out of.

bewareofbears likes this

I really like all of these ideas. Having 4 strengths and weaknesses is important to give increasing amount of different Jasons more varied "playstyles". Only thing i would change is to give Uber Jason +Destruction. When i see Uber Jason i always think of "Tank Jason".

5 hours ago, Mr. HK 92 said:

I really like all of these ideas. Having 4 strengths and weaknesses is important to give increasing amount of different Jasons more varied "playstyles". Only thing i would change is to give Uber Jason +Destruction. When i see Uber Jason i always think of "Tank Jason".

You are right. If Uber Jason has weak Stalk, Shift, and Rage, he needs to be able to get into houses more quickly. Good catch. I also made a few minor edits to the OP.

I know everybody want silent footsteps in Stalk, I wanted it since the start. But making it silent across the board isn't as interesting as having another layer of depth by making it dependent on each Jason's stalk strength, so that's why I came up with the 3 tiers.

Oh and be a pal and make sure I don't have to bump my own thread. ;)

FlameRiderSD and Mr. HK 92 like this

Good ideas.

In order for some of the existing strengths/weaknesses to be worthwhile. They should be overhauled a little bit.

The idea of silent footsteps and tiering them and just giving the throwing knives at the start are basic ideas that should be there hopefully soon enough. The rest is gravy.

I still really wish they tinkered with the undead Jasons fast walk speed. Which is what I proposed many moons ago.

+ Fast Walk - Faster than the current undead fast walk...this is a Part 6 feature most likely, but could be added to say Part 8 in exchange for something else or in conjunction with it.

Neutral Fast Walk - As seen by all the current undead Jasons

- Fast Walk - Slower than the normal fast walk, but Jasons with this would have to be compensated with a plus morph or shift or not have them as a weakness whatsoever.

I have updated the original post to include the official Part 4 Jason stats and made some tweaks to the whole list. The new and modified strengths and weaknesses have also been overhauled slightly.

On 9/20/2017 at 8:01 AM, tyrant666 said:

Good ideas.

In order for some of the existing strengths/weaknesses to be worthwhile. They should be overhauled a little bit.

The idea of silent footsteps and tiering them and just giving the throwing knives at the start are basic ideas that should be there hopefully soon enough. The rest is gravy.

I still really wish they tinkered with the undead Jasons fast walk speed. Which is what I proposed many moons ago.

+ Fast Walk - Faster than the current undead fast walk...this is a Part 6 feature most likely, but could be added to say Part 8 in exchange for something else or in conjunction with it.

Neutral Fast Walk - As seen by all the current undead Jasons

- Fast Walk - Slower than the normal fast walk, but Jasons with this would have to be compensated with a plus morph or shift or not have them as a weakness whatsoever.

I don't think varying walk speeds is necessary. All of the zombie Jasons have walked slower or faster to some degree. Maybe they could include variable speed based on analog stick tilt? Like Jason walks faster when the stick is pressed all the way and slower when it's just barely tilted.

15 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I have updated the original post to include the official Part 4 Jason stats and made some tweaks to the whole list. The new and modified strengths and weaknesses have also been overhauled slightly.

I don't think varying walk speeds is necessary. All of the zombie Jasons have walked slower or faster to some degree. Maybe they could include variable speed based on analog stick tilt? Like Jason walks faster when the stick is pressed all the way and slower when it's just barely tilted.

First, only Dan Bradley/C. J. Graham walked fast. Kane Hodder walked very slow and breathed too (specially in Part 7).

And last, all Jasons with no exception, can walk or slowly walk by doing what said now.

2 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

First, only Dan Bradley/C. J. Graham walked fast. Kane Hodder walked very slow and breathed too (specially in Part 7).

And last, all Jasons with no exception, can walk or slowly walk by doing what said now.

I suppose you're right. We can kind of already get the slow & fast walk from the movies with the walk system now. Any thoughts on the updated OP?

1 minute ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Any thoughts on the updated OP?

Pardon me but, what is an OP?

Just now, NoOneK9503 said:

Pardon me but, what is an OP?

Original Post. The first post in this thread. It's been changed to reflect new ideas and the new Part 4 Jason stats.

15 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Original Post. The first post in this thread. It's been changed to reflect new ideas and the new Part 4 Jason stats.

Perfect. Not only you fixed what was bothering me (-Water Speed), but added +Stalk too.

Also, will you add Retro Jason too? He will be taken out and will become a new playable Jason.

Yes for silent steps during stalk,would love to pull some Caveira shit with Jason(for whoever gets the reference).

2 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Perfect. Not only you fixed what was bothering me (-Water Speed), but added +Stalk too.

Also, will you add Retro Jason too? He will be taken out and will become a new playable Jason.

I don't know enough about Retro Jason, but I would say he'd be a zombie Jason because Part 7 was on the cover of that game. Would probably have +Water Speed too because I hear he was fast in water for that game.

30 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow I didn't like the changes to Defense, Grip Strength and Stun Resistance. I don't think they'll work. But the Destruction and Throwing Knives changes were great!

Can you elaborate on why you think the changes to Defense, Grip Strength, and Stun Resistance wouldn't be good?

EDIT: I've further edited the topic to include expanded ideas. I'll list it here for your convenience:

Jason's "guard meter" as one would call it is always slowly recharging. If Jason's guard is broken, the stun chance of that particular attack is 1/2 of what it would be if the attack had connected when Jason was not blocking. The guard meter begins recharging 3 seconds after a successful guard break

Assuming no perks are used, if Kenny, whose attributes are all level 5, attacks Jason with an Axe, the Jason's defense rating is as follows:

• -Defense: Can block 4 axe attacks from Kenny in a 13 second window. Depleted Guard meter fully restores in 11 seconds.
  • Neutral Defense: Can block 6 axe attacks from Kenny in a 13 second window. Depleted Guard meter fully restores in 9 seconds.
  • +Defense: Can block 8 axe attacks from Kenny in a 13 second window. Depleted Guard meter fully restores in 7 seconds.

Perks that alter damage and higher strength attributes can reduce the number of attacks needed to break Jason's block. Luck may or may not be included for a "critical hit" dice roll per se. I haven't decided yet. Critical hits would do 13% more damage if they become a factor. Every counselor could get critical hits but higher Luck would increase their chance of occurring.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Can you elaborate on why you think the changes to Defense, Grip Strength, and Stun Resistance wouldn't be good?

EDIT: I've further edited the topic to include expanded ideas. I'll list it here for your convenience:

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

Your suggestion of those 3 mechanics I've mentioned above fits the "do not fix what it's not broken" phrase. Your ideas aren't bad, but I feel like some of them are unnecessary. 

First, the Defense stat. I think the original mechanics is fine. Why? Because when Jason is blocking in Combat Stance, he has a probability to successfully block attacks. When a Jason have a -Defense weakness, he'll take more successful hits (meaning that even though he's blocking, he'll still receive damage like he never blocked in first place, but he'll not get stunned or knocked down). This encourages people to not use this kind of Jason for combat. And for me, that's totally fine and acceptable.

Second, the Stun Resistance stat. This mechanic determines if Jason will get stunned (aka flinched without a recovery bar) or not. This idea of yours encourages people to make Jason a punching bag, independant if the Stun Resistance stat is a weakness of a strength. Just for them to finally give up after Jason was hit 4 or 5 times.

And last, Grip Strength. I honestly think this stat need more effects than the current one because Jason can execute counselors instantly with Choke or Saitama Puch (sorry for the pun). But this is not the right way to go. I mean, being punished because I've managed do survive a bit longer??? Heck, even the Luck stat rewards you for doing this. You could change this by making the Grab remove Stamina WHEN he grabs a counselor and then the Luck stat determines how much Stamina they win back after breaking free.

Edited by NoOneK9503
Sharing my ideas

@NoOneK9503 Ok I will think it over. For Defense I was thinking that it's kind of unfair that Jason's guard can't be broken. You say he still takes damage but I've yet to see Jason get unmasked while he was blocking. I thought to be more fair without being cheap Jason's guard should be able to be worn down until it breaks. The "guard meter" is always replenishing so it would require consistent attacks to finally break through it.

For Stun Resistance, I thought if Jason's guard is going to get broken, then he needs a counter to that by getting a little bit of extra stun resistance. This was to prevent "chain stuns" where he gets stunned over and over and can't stop it. The extra stun resistance is always slowly depleting so he would only have this extra stun resistance for a few seconds, just enough to get him out of a tight spot but no more. Counselors wouldn't have to "give up" after a few hits, they would just wait a few seconds for him to  become vulnerable again.

I could just remove the grip strength portion. I'm not entirely sure about it but I figured Jason's grip needed more impact on gameplay than it does now. Maybe it can increase fear levels. That way you still have enough stamina to run away but grip would do something more than it already does.

53 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

@NoOneK9503 Ok I will think it over. For Defense I was thinking that it's kind of unfair that Jason's guard can't be broken. You say he still takes damage but I've yet to see Jason get unmasked while he was blocking. I thought to be more fair without being cheap Jason's guard should be able to be worn down until it breaks. The "guard meter" is always replenishing so it would require consistent attacks to finally break through it.

For Stun Resistance, I thought if Jason's guard is going to get broken, then he needs a counter to that by getting a little bit of extra stun resistance. This was to prevent "chain stuns" where he gets stunned over and over and can't stop it. The extra stun resistance is always slowly depleting so he would only have this extra stun resistance for a few seconds, just enough to get him out of a tight spot but no more. Counselors wouldn't have to "give up" after a few hits, they would just wait a few seconds for him to  become vulnerable again.

I could just remove the grip strength portion. I'm not entirely sure about it but I figured Jason's grip needed more impact on gameplay than it does now. Maybe it can increase fear levels. That way you still have enough stamina to run away but grip would do something more than it already does.

Here's a proof of my Defense statement:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEm8Ttlb3C8

See? He was blocking all the time and still got unmasked.

Well, your Stun Resistance suggestion can be good, but only as an added effect, not as an replacement.

And gosh! I loved that new Grip Strength idea! I can just imagine the despair counselor players will have when grabbed! Currently, increased fear happens if you attack and cripple them. But with this new idea, Jasons with +Grip Strength can be deadlier than ever before! (Part 7?)

41 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

Here's a proof of my Defense statement:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEm8Ttlb3C8

See? He was blocking all the time and still got unmasked.

Well, your Stun Resistance suggestion can be good, but only as an added effect, not as an replacement.

And gosh! I loved that new Grip Strength idea! I can just imagine the despair counselor players will have when grabbed! Currently, increased fear happens if you attack and cripple them. But with this new idea, Jasons with +Grip Strength can be deadlier than ever before! (Part 7?)

Huh, ok I thought Jason was invulnerable to melee while blocking. Ok then I can remove the defense idea, but maybe a tweak? Ok what if instead of my current idea, consecutive attacks on Jason have a chance to lower his block? Like after they hit him "X" amount of times, he will "un-block" but the player can just block again?

As for the Stun Resistance, yes it was meant as an ADDITION to the stun resistance we already have. I don't like how short the stuns are now, but they were kind of too long in the previous patches, so I was thinking stun times would be in-between those two with the temporary additional stun resistance from my idea.

And I'll switch grip strength to raising fear instead!

EDIT: Original Post now edited.

I have a suggestion for stun resistance. When Jason gets stunned by firecracker or flaregun, player´s screen and sounds will be modified. This way the player would experience stuns more like how Jason would. I think that screen modifiying effect would be white noise.

- Stun resistance: screen turns to heavy white noise and only firecracker/flaregun sounds are heard. Jason cannot move. (optional) After stun, Jasons abilities would be slightly weaker for, lets say, 15 seconds.
Neutral Stun resistance: White noise is half as heavy compared to above. Can hear other sounds little better. Still cannot move.
+ Stun resistance: only mild audiovisual disturbances. Now Jason can move, but slower than walking speed. Cannot use weapons.

Truth likes this