Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brigadius

new counselor
The evolving counselor

8 posts in this topic

This idea is for a counselor with ever changing stats. They could let you customize the look or just add a character that this works on but that's not the important thing here. Just like in real life you actually have to use a skill to keep it sharp.

It would work by recalculating stats as you play that character (not during a round).  So, if you play as a fixer and repair lots of stuff the skills related to that would increase over time. Same would go for fighting Jason(strength), running(stamina), surviving or saving people (luck), etc. But, skills would also decrease if not used. So, it would be a battle of finding and maintaining a play style appropriate to how you want to play. You could probably even max all stats but you would have to be a very versatile player. In order to be the best you can it would require being a team player because you would never be able to achieve Max stats without it. 

It would recalculate stats at end of game based on your performance in that game and an unspecified number of previous games. So if you start slacking in an area the related stats will start taking hits. 

Could be a way to increase cooperation and give you another goal to strive for. 

The Razor's Edge and Alkavian like this

11 minutes ago, The Razor's Edge said:

I love this idea.

Thought it was pretty good myself. 

If they just add a character they could call him Jack. It they do create a character I'd still name him/her Jack. 

Jack Masters

I mentioned something similar before. While I like the idea, there were a few major concerns. 

1. All the counsellors are balanced around a certain number of points. 35 I think. Having some counsellors more powerful than others creates balance issue. 

2. The counsellors act as a sign to Jason and the other players as to their skills and abilities. Thus you know what a Chad can do. Having a repair Chad and a stealth Chad and a composed Chad means who knows what that Chad is up to. Strategy and tactics matter, and I think you make it hard when no one knows who can do what. 

3. You create a divide in your gamers by allowing more powerful counsellors. My level 40 Chad is better than your level 10 Chad. This can lead to kicking people merely because of their level. This would get real bad as players come and go. I would rather sacrifice customization for a system where the only divide is skill and experience. 

DialM likes this

Maybe if you still have a cap of so many overall points they just recalibrate with play style? 

1 hour ago, Definitelynotjason said:

I mentioned something similar before. While I like the idea, there were a few major concerns. 

1. All the counsellors are balanced around a certain number of points. 35 I think. Having some counsellors more powerful than others creates balance issue. 

2. The counsellors act as a sign to Jason and the other players as to their skills and abilities. Thus you know what a Chad can do. Having a repair Chad and a stealth Chad and a composed Chad means who knows what that Chad is up to. Strategy and tactics matter, and I think you make it hard when no one knows who can do what. 

3. You create a divide in your gamers by allowing more powerful counsellors. My level 40 Chad is better than your level 10 Chad. This can lead to kicking people merely because of their level. This would get real bad as players come and go. I would rather sacrifice customization for a system where the only divide is skill and experience. 

The normal counselors would always be playable as specific types. If you decided to play stealth but you current stats are not in favor of a stealth player and you don't feel like grinding him to that type then you can just play a preset character for a quick play, ie, one of the originals.

Also there are no levels and nobody would see your stats in lobby. It's just an evolving player based on play style. If you play a balanced player and help out your overall stats will improve. You play all stealth or strength and fix nothing your character will be as smart as a potato. You could have more stat points than the basic models but you also have to put in the effort to maintain it or you could end up with less. 

1 hour ago, Brigadius said:

The normal counselors would always be playable as specific types. If you decided to play stealth but you current stats are not in favor of a stealth player and you don't feel like grinding him to that type then you can just play a preset character for a quick play, ie, one of the originals.

Also there are no levels and nobody would see your stats in lobby. It's just an evolving player based on play style. If you play a balanced player and help out your overall stats will improve. You play all stealth or strength and fix nothing your character will be as smart as a potato. You could have more stat points than the basic models but you also have to put in the effort to maintain it or you could end up with less. 

When I said level I was referring to the over all player level. This would have an implied effect on your Jack character. Clearly a level 50 has had more time to build up their Jack than a level 17 like me. Of course that isn't necessarily true, as if I had been Jacking (yes I know, I couldn't resist) since level 1 then my jack is stronger than the level 50 jack who has only jacked since level 49, and no one would know who Jacked more. I am really sorry my sense of humour has not aged since I was twelve.

If Jack was a character that could only be used in private matches, I think that would work. Much of my point was about the communication and strategy short hand that is implied by the appearance of a Tiffany or Bugzy. Private matches occur with a lot more communication, or so I assume, have never been in a private match. Players who know each other and know that Brigadius' Jack is a repairer and my Jack is a Jason stunner. I would also think then that being able to apply and skin to a Jack would be fine too.

I wonder though, since balance could be upset here, if you could also do this with Jason. I could use whatever Jason skin I liked in private matches, but could either select from a series of Jason packages that ensured some balance or over time my tendancies could get a boost. Now, for it to be fair, the counselors would have to get a quick pop up at the begining that shows my 3 pluses and 3 minuses. Again, strategy matters, and sometimes the Jason dictates your starting strategy.

I just think in public matches a player has to be balanced with the other players, else it really effects the outcome. Your 45 point Jack is so much better than my 35 point Chad that Jason would kill me first everytime. This ensures that Chad gets Chadder and Jack gets Jacked. The rich get richer and the Chad just hangs out until face smashed.

Also, this might have the unwanted effect in public matches of dividing the hardcore gamers and the casuals. This was a thing that happened in Worl of Warcraft I think. Factions formed, people got angry, and the players were divided. Yo Bro Joe who lives in his mom`s basement has more time to devote to his Jack than a working stiff. I am not saying Joe shouldn`t get something for his time and effort, but creating a tools divide is not what I would want to see. I am ok if Joe who plays 100 hours a week gets cooler skins or access to a new skin or character before me. He earned that shit. I am saying giving the player who can devote that time something that augments his already higher skill and experience level like a more powerful character is dangerously divisive. Now in private matches, go ahead. Everyone knows what they are getting in to there.

I would say for balance, just make the shifting stats not exceed a total of 35.  The toon would adapt to your playstyle but not become greater than any pre-made. Nice idea Brig.