Kaelum

How to prevent vehicles from blocking doorways

6 posts in this topic

Driving up to a building with a single desctructable door is starting to become an issue.  Instead of using the vehicle to escape, some players are choosing to just block the door of a single destrucable door building, and wait out the timer.  This not only pisses off Jason, but it also pisses off the other players.  My idea to eliminate this is 2 fold.  FIrst off, if any part of vehicle is within n distance (say 5 feet?) of any destructible door, of any building, and Jason is within say 10-15 feet of that vehicle, then Jason should immediately enter, and remain in, Rage mode, if he already isn't in Rage mode.  This is the first part of the penalty for making Jason ANGRY!

The second part involves making the vehicle completely destructible in a brilliant explosion.  As long as the vehicle is within the specified distance to the destructible door, Jason should have the ability to trigger an explosion that totally destroys the vehicle by blasting it into small pieces that can kill counselors, as the pieces fly away from "ground-zero".  Walls, trees, and rocks should offer protection from the flying debris, but this is the penalty for mis-use of the vehicle.  Also, the trigger should have a 10 second countdown timer, to allow counselors to get away.  This would be a great mechanic, and penalty for pissing off Jason.

Not too sure How this can work to be honest, I think the most logical reason is put an invisible barrier around all buildings (say 2 characters width) that stops doors being blocked and allowing Jason to walk around it.

I wouldn't call this cheating by any means and can only be done if you are the last counselor (because the rest would just take the car). and I am a level 96 and not once have ever seen this happen. I doubt it's an issue.

@Camp_Blood_Killer It is becoming more of a problem as more people,learn about it.  Instead of risking being caught in the car, groups of counselors are doing this. I've never seen a sole person try this, just groups. And using any mechanic in a way that gives you 100% invulnerability, and is not intended, is cheating as defined in the rules.

You seem to be encountering many problems others are not. 

I would be be very concerned about this new detection system. There are many possible flaws and small detection bugs could ruin 4 people's game because the car detected a door in the middle of the road. 

I will say again, this seems like trying to fix a problem that isn't really there with a method that could bug or glitch like mad. All those timers and detection systems offer too many moving parts to stop an issue I have only seen you mention.

i have only played about 60 games, but have never seen this, ever. Nor did I see the other issue you brought up. I have seen people whacking people with weapons about 25% of the time. So I am ok with the friendly fire thing.

Of course, as you said before, you have been a game developer since Space Invaders, so what do I know?

I don't know about console but on PC there is an invisible wall that only effects the car that puts about 4 feet of space between the car and doors. Players can walk through this space but cars cannot be parked in front of cabin doors. There are still 2 exceptions: 1. Jason's shack and 2: the Higgins barn. Cars can still be parked at those 2 locations' entrances to block them.