Kaelum

How to end death by vehicle

7 posts in this topic

This is for the developers:

if you were to add invisible retractable counselor guards (like the cow guards that trains used to have), you could push counselors out of the way of moving vehicles without causing any damage to them.  While the vehicle is stopped, the guard would be retracted into the vehicle.  Before moving forward, the forward guard would slide out and push counselors aside, before the vehicle starts moving.  The physics would need to be toned down, or turned off, for when a vehicle hits a counselor at speed, but that should be extremely easy to account for.  The same goes for moving backwards.  The guard has no effect on Jason, so he can still stop the vehicle.  This should completely eliminate all TKing via vehicle.  Obviously there will be some tuning required, but I don't see any situation that can't be overcome.

It is not a bad idea, assuming vehicular manslaughter becomes a problem.

I would rather leave in the little bit of danger from non jason objects unless it really really has to be taken out.

Also, not knowing how the coding works, this may effect the way in which Jason and the car interact. That would be very bad.

I can see sometimes how it is important to anticipate a problem so as to be able to react to it swiftly if it arises, but I would rather they not fix a problem that is not a problem.

@Definitelynotjason Unfortunately, this is already a problem, especially when the player and Jason are working together.  I've been mowed down several times by players doing this, just to get laughs.  Even if you know that they are doing this, it is sometimes very difficult to get out of the way, just like it is difficult to Jason to get into the path of the vehicle.

P.S.  I am a developer, and have been for 40 years now. ;)

I like the realism of being able to get ran over / run over someone, and before you ask no I am not a TK. Some of our best laughs are getting the car started after Jason stopped it and accidentally running someone over, you can't take all of the mishap fun stuff out of the game or ppl won't enjoy it. Sometimes it's nice to have something like that happen to break up the monotony of get gas key fuse, etc.....

7 hours ago, Kaelum said:

Before moving forward, the forward guard would slide out and push counselors aside, before the vehicle starts moving.  The physics would need to be toned down, or turned off, for when a vehicle hits a counselor at speed, but that should be extremely easy to account for.  The same goes for moving backwards.

I like this idea. Another solution would be for counselors to automatically enter a run animation wherein they dodge the vehicle themselves automatically (kinda like the pedestrians in Driver or Driver 2 for PS1). NOW, while the counselors are in the short run/dodge animation, they cannot be attacked, take damage, attack, or use inventory items. Essentially they're just on autopilot for a second until the car is out of the way.

@EspionageCosmo Perhaps a combination of both of our ideas may make it into the game.  It's a complicated issue, and it's rather unlikely that a single solution will work in all cases.  It would be funny if the physics were left in force, and people went flying around like rag dolls, but took no damage.  This reminds me of a PS3 game that I used to play.  :ph34r:

I'm another vote for liking the death by cars.

I understand it can be abused. It's not a shotgun though. If a car sneaks up on you then I really think you may have to work on your personal strategy. Instead of coming up with ways for the developers to change the game on this, I'd encourage you to spend time coming up with strategies of how to avoid teamkilling cars. If all strategies fail, then maybe something needs to be fixed. As it is, stay out of the road or go in a cabin or go behind a tree, etc, etc, etc.