Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RustInPeace

Missed Music Radio opportunity

22 posts in this topic

Sitting here listening to my hard drive filled with music on my PS4, a track comes up that I instantly scream in my head "HOW DID I FORGET THIS AND WHY ISN'T THIS IN THE GAME!?"  It was The Misfits "Mommy, Can I Go Out & Kill Tonight?"  I'm assuming it was easier to pay the current lineup for that new track instead of the current band, label, AND Danzig as well.

was this track ever attach to the Friday the 13th franchise?  If not, that's why its not in the game. If it was, then yes, I would say its a missed opportunity.

I guess if what you mean is if it wasn't in one of the films or a song making DIRECT reference to the franchise, then that's why.  Not really a good enough excuse considering it fits within the context of the theme of the films.  I'd be more inclined to believe it would be cost above anything else. It's a short song that would only be heard passing by a playing radio (or car radio), but it still probably cost more than the newer track for use.

3 minutes ago, RustInPeace said:

I guess if what you mean is if it wasn't in one of the films or a song making DIRECT reference to the franchise, then that's why.  Not really a good enough excuse considering it fits within the context of the theme of the films.  I'd be more inclined to believe it would be cost above anything else. It's a short song that would only be heard passing by a playing radio (or car radio), but it still probably cost more than the newer track for use.

I would say it has to do with licensing.  Not that it wouldn't fit into the realm of the game, it absolutely would.  But Gun Media seems to be fairly stringent on keeping all things in the game related to the franchise, but perhaps they are force to be that way, due to a licensing agreement.   

3 hours ago, RustInPeace said:

Sitting here listening to my hard drive filled with music on my PS4, a track comes up that I instantly scream in my head "HOW DID I FORGET THIS AND WHY ISN'T THIS IN THE GAME!?"  It was The Misfits "Mommy, Can I Go Out & Kill Tonight?"  I'm assuming it was easier to pay the current lineup for that new track instead of the current band, label, AND Danzig as well.

I agree that it'd be great but I imagine the Misfits "Friday the 13th" song was either sought after by Gun or the Misfits approached them. Honestly, almost any Misfits pre-Jerry Only on vocals would have been awesome.

RustInPeace likes this

Honestly, I just want to be able to jump into a car and hear "Hard Rock Summer", "Love is a Lie" or "His Eyes" blaring as me as I escape.

bewareofbears likes this

3 hours ago, CrissRiot said:

Honestly, I just want to be able to jump into a car and hear "Hard Rock Summer", "Love is a Lie" or "His Eyes" blaring as me as I escape.

Ditto, would also love "Teenage Frankenstein", "(He's Back) Man Behind the Mask" and the song from Part 8 (of which i can't remember the name at the moment). Also, "Tiny Sparrow".

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

Ditto, would also love "Teenage Frankenstein", "(He's Back) Man Behind the Mask" and the song from Part 8 (of which i can't remember the name at the moment). Also, "Tiny Sparrow".

Anything with Alice Cooper from part 6

bewareofbears likes this

Man Behind the Mask is in the game, but I'm assuming you mean for the car/cabin radio, right?

RavenStorm32 likes this

20 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I agree that it'd be great but I imagine the Misfits "Friday the 13th" song was either sought after by Gun or the Misfits approached them. Honestly, almost any Misfits pre-Jerry Only on vocals would have been awesome.

I always thought when only Jerry remained, he missed an opportunity to play on his own name. No Danzig, no Misfits imho. How appropriate as essentially a solo act to call his band/projects "Jerry Only"? Aside from the Hot Topic crowd and merchandising the brand, many fans don't like or recognize Graves as anything but second rate.

Just now, Bigfoot said:

I always thought when only Jerry remained, he missed an opportunity to play on his own name. No Danzig, no Misfits imho. How appropriate as essentially a solo act to call his band/projects "Jerry Only"? Aside from the Hot Topic crowd and merchandising the brand, many fans don't like or recognize Graves as anything but second rate.

I thought Michale Graves was great and I've never been in a Hot Topic. :) 

Really? I only like one song by that lineup, and that would be Scream. I guess my circle (pit) of friends are really just old school hardcore types. I think my favorite sound by them is Static Age and Earth A.D. Disaffected surfy stuff and down right d-beat aggression! I didn't mean to offend. Just not a fan of latter day Misfits! My brother actually took exception to Graves saying that the Misfits were nothing without him, and scratched Danzig into his tour bus. (Not cool, but still funny to me.) I was in a band that opened for Dr. Chud's X Ward once. That's my closest Misfit encounter in person. We got to open for Nekromantix once! One of my proudest shows.😁

33 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

Really? I only like one song by that lineup, and that would be Scream. I guess my circle (pit) of friends are really just old school hardcore types. I think my favorite sound by them is Static Age and Earth A.D. Disaffected surfy stuff and down right d-beat aggression! I didn't mean to offend. Just not a fan of latter day Misfits! My brother actually took exception to Graves saying that the Misfits were nothing without him, and scratched Danzig into his tour bus. (Not cool, but still funny to me.) I was in a band that opened for Dr. Chud's X Ward once. That's my closest Misfit encounter in person. We got to open for Nekromantix once! One of my proudest shows.😁

Nice. No worries, no offense taken. :)

I'm used to it, particularly since I really like the Famous Monsters album and even most Graves-era fans seem to dislike it. As well as "Scream", I really enjoy "Descending Angel" and "Helena" off of it. I'm also a fan of the Danzig-era but I don't have any particular favourite album. Most of what I heard originally was on mixtapes or from Napster (dating myself) before a friend got me the box set. Static Age is great though. I used to play in bands as well and we covered "Static Age" and "Some Kinda Hate" as well as "Helena". Never opened for any band of note.

I mentioned in another thread a while back I saw the Jerry Only-led Misfits twice. The highlights of each show was more so seeing Marky Ramone the first time and Robo the second time.

5 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Nice. No worries, no offense taken. :)

I'm used to it, particularly since I really like the Famous Monsters album and even most Graves-era fans seem to dislike it. As well as "Scream", I really enjoy "Descending Angel" and "Helena" off of it. I'm also a fan of the Danzig-era but I don't have any particular favourite album. Most of what I heard originally was on mixtapes or from Napster (dating myself) before a friend got me the box set. Static Age is great though. I used to play in bands as well and we covered "Static Age" and "Some Kinda Hate" as well as "Helena". Never opened for any band of note.

I mentioned in another thread a while back I saw the Jerry Only-led Misfits twice. The highlights of each show was more so seeing Marky Ramone the first time and Robo the second time.

We covered Skulls one time. We covered G.G. Allin's Drink Fight and Fuc#, Reagan Youth's Degenerated and mostly did originals. It was all horror and sci-fi inspired and way over the top! Love Marky and Robo. We actually had a working song called Camp Blood about F13,. but it never got out of the practice room. Unfortunately, my brother was the lyricist and has passed away, but my rhythm guitar player claims he remembers it. He has a knack for recalling every little riff we jammed on. If it can be resurrected, and gets recorded, I think it will find it's way here. 

2 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

We covered Skulls one time. We covered G.G. Allin's Drink Fight and Fuc#, Reagan Youth's Degenerated and mostly did originals. It was all horror and sci-fi inspired and way over the top! Love Marky and Robo. We actually had a working song called Camp Blood about F13,. but it never got out of the practice room. Unfortunately, my brother was the lyricist and has passed away, but my rhythm guitar player claims he remembers it. He has a knack for recalling every little riff we jammed on. If it can be resurrected, and gets recorded, I think it will find it's way here. 

Nice. :)

That's unfortunate about your brother, I'm sorry to hear it. 

Just now, bewareofbears said:

Nice. :)

That's unfortunate about your brother, I'm sorry to hear it. 

Thanks. He is missed, but Memphis will always remember Dan, aka St. Veisalgia! 

bewareofbears likes this

1 hour ago, Bigfoot said:

oh my.. You cover a G.G. song, now that's punk!!  I played in a Punk band for many years, we turned into more of just a rock band as time passed by. But G.G. was something else, not many can top his crudeness.  Sorry to hear about your brother as well. I can relate to his ability to recall every little riff, I too, am like that. We have a list of all the songs we had written over the past 20 years, and for fun, other members will pick one off the list, just to see if I can still play it.  

Bigfoot likes this

On topic, Post-Danzig Misfits is entirely shit. I saw that Graves period live, and tried to delude myself into thinking it was alright. I did see the reunion with Danzig last September in Chicago from two football fields away. Probably too late for a reunion... Sure, they sounded better than the original or new Misfits ever did live, but rock in roll is a young man's game. Or at least, it's probably best to call it quits when you're old enough to join AARP.

Also on topic: I'm pretty sure Danzig has all publishing rights to the songs he wrote, which was essentially all of them prior to the dissolving of the band. "Mommy" would have to come from him.

Veering off into the topic of GG: Does anyone really like anything post GG & the Jabbers? That first batch of songs you can find on "Always Was, Is and Always Shall Be" are fantastic pieces of catchy rock. The rest of his catalog makes me want to (team)kill.

33 minutes ago, ryanmc564 said:

oh my.. You cover a G.G. song, now that's punk!!  I played in a Punk band for many years, we turned into more of just a rock band as time passed by. But G.G. was something else, not many can top his crudeness.  Sorry to hear about your brother as well. I can relate to his ability to recall every little riff, I too, am like that. We have a list of all the songs we had written over the past 20 years, and for fun, other members will pick one off the list, just to see if I can still play it.  

Yeah, we were very profane. Think Dwarves and G.G., then add. a ittle inspiration from the Misfits, horror movies,  hardcore and Slayer. (And a whole lot of booze.) We used to cover Bad Brains stuff. No rules. Kind of sleazy abusive hardcore. 😁 We used to get booked with death metal bands. Even though we weren't aware of the genre, I guess it is more or less what is called power violence. It was just "hardcore punk" to us.

ryanmc564 likes this

1 hour ago, Bigfoot said:

Yeah, we were very profane. Think Dwarves and G.G., then add. a ittle inspiration from the Misfits, horror movies,  hardcore and Slayer. (And a whole lot of booze.) We used to cover Bad Brains stuff. No rules. Kind of sleazy abusive hardcore. 😁 We used to get booked with death metal bands. Even though we weren't aware of the genre, I guess it is more or less what is called power violence. It was just "hardcore punk" to us.

We we're more of a pennywise, nofx style punk band (all originals, we rarely did covers).  We too kept getting book with death metal bands or just metal bands all the time, but then again we're from St. Louis which is big metal town. Its like the people who booked the show at venues wasn't aware that punk and metal bands had a rivalry. But i'll tell you alot metal bands had tremedous respect for our drummer when they would notice he is only using a single bass drum pedal, doing i guess you would call "blast beats". Even though we were more skate punk, i always had great respect for the hardcore punk bands.

35 minutes ago, ryanmc564 said:

We we're more of a pennywise, nofx style punk band (all originals, we rarely did covers).  We too kept getting book with death metal bands or just metal bands all the time, but then again we're from St. Louis which is big metal town. Its like the people who booked the show at venues wasn't aware that punk and metal bands had a rivalry. But i'll tell you alot metal bands had tremedous respect for our drummer when they would notice he is only using a single bass drum pedal, doing i guess you would call "blast beats". Even though we were more skate punk, i always had great respect for the hardcore punk bands.

Cool. Punk drummers do get overlooked often, but they have to have awesome chops. My drummer was a blast beat guy too, but he used a double pedal. My other brother was in a technical death metal band, and their drummer was insanely good. Hyperblasting underneath all that harmonized sweep picking guitar stuff. Not my cup of tea, but give me Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Under. I like groove based death metal.