Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TWarner

Lots of Negitivity on Kickstarter

40 posts in this topic

I don't go there much anymore but happen to check on the comments because of boredom and see a few of these guy's have valid points but it is what it is. 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/comments

As far as paying $75.00 for a Physical Copy of the game when it is out there under $40.00 now.  I did that because I wanted to support the game and have no regrets in doing so.

22 minutes ago, TWarner said:

As far as paying $75.00 for a Physical Copy of the game when it is out there under $40.00 now.  I did that because I wanted to support the game and have no regrets in doing so.

That's what backing a project is. It's not a pre-order, you are lending support in exchange for rewards. It seems some have missed the memo on how crowd funding works. 

TWarner and matisangry like this

Just now, JPops said:

That's what backing a project is. It's not a pre-order, you are lending support in exchange for rewards. It seems some have missed the memo on how crowd funding works. 

A lot of people seem to think the opposite, unfortunately. They seem to think being a backer should get you some sort of deal.

22 minutes ago, JPops said:

Well, my friend, it probably would have helped if they didn't have a giant red "Pre-Order Now!" button in the middle of their homepage on Kickstarter. 

Well that didn't happen until after kickstarter. That button redirected to Backerkit, backerkit is an additional funding period also so I can see the confusion there but the kickstarter backers commenting didn't have that button. It's kind of a well known fact about kickstarter. 

I get the frustration, but we're offering rewards for backing levels. We'd not have been able to get what we were able to get without the support of our backers, but costs are a reality. The $40 cost of a retail version is something baked in for the major retailers. We aren't a major retailer. 

We have to pay shipping to our backers. We also have to get together for all the signed versions, then package and ship those out. These costs add up and we've tried small-scale previously with world-wide shipping on posters and other items (we lost money, lol). 

These backers also got access to the beta, they got the wallpapers, they've had access to content earlier than those waiting to buy and inadvertently got an entirely new copy of the game for free due to our mishap with the physical packaging. 

7 minutes ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

I get the frustration, but we're offering rewards for backing levels. We'd not have been able to get what we were able to get without the support of our backers, but costs are a reality. The $40 cost of a retail version is something baked in for the major retailers. We aren't a major retailer. 

We have to pay shipping to our backers. We also have to get together for all the signed versions, then package and ship those out. These costs add up and we've tried small-scale previously with world-wide shipping on posters and other items (we lost money, lol). 

These backers also got access to the beta, they got the wallpapers, they've had access to content earlier than those waiting to buy and inadvertently got an entirely new copy of the game for free due to our mishap with the physical packaging. 

So.... how's your day going?   Ready for that Jack and Coke yet?  But....you guys are based out of Kentucky, right?  Just get you some moonshine.  

There's been anger expressed here in the forums too, but it seems pretty tame here in comparison to other places, such as Kickstarter and social media. Maybe that's why @GunMedia_Ben has been posting here every now and again. Whatever the reason, it's good to have him here doing his best to keep us updated. Even if some folks may not always agree with what he says.

Whitebabyjoker likes this

Some people just dont realise that the amount u back on kickstarter is not just for the rewards u are getting some of that money has to go actually making the game hence why they on a crowd funder site in the first place

15 hours ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

I've noticed Walmart games dropping from $60 to $40! Also signed copies going to be individually signed or are you going to have one signed then print off that one?

18 hours ago, JPops said:

But a point that still hasn't been answered... it was called a PRE-ORDER the entire time. It's still listed on the site as a pre-order... 

59 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

But a point that still hasn't been answered... it was called a PRE-ORDER the entire time. It's still listed on the site as a pre-order... 

See Jpops comments above : 

Well that didn't happen until after kickstarter. That button redirected to Backerkit, backerkit is an additional funding period also so I can see the confusion there but the kickstarter backers commenting didn't have that button. It's kind of a well known fact about kickstarter. 

Wasn't the physical copy $60 on BackerKit for a while as well? I don't know if it came with any extras, can't remember. Does shipping really cost $20? 

4 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Wasn't the physical copy $60 on BackerKit for a while as well? I don't know if it came with any extras, can't remember. Does shipping really cost $20? 

It might have been. I backed at the $75.00 Level in the original Kickstarter.  Shipping can't be that much Games are light even with a steel case.

5 minutes ago, TWarner said:

It might have been. I backed at the $75.00 Level in the original Kickstarter.  Shipping can't be that much Games are light even with a steel case.

Shipping can get expensive but inside of the States I'm sure it's pretty cheap. There's also volume discounts, etc.

I think where most folks are upset is that it was presented that all physical copies would cost $60. I can't recall any mention of the physical copies being sent to stores being $40 before now. I get why people are disappointed with this. It really comes down to bad communication. I also think telling backers it's a donation and they don't know how Kickstarter works is a little bastardly when you remember the game was actually $30 when these people backed and was only bumped to $40 after the single player announcement. Meaning, they paid $45 for their extras and shipping.

Probably so.  I backed at the first tier that had  a physical copy.  I guess I could have waited till release and saved some cash but hopefully the extra money I spent helped with the project which is what I wanted to do.  I will probably play more after the update but for a while there it was just crazy with all the team killing and such. Seems like whenever I'm on most of the community members are already in full games and I have to find quick play players and that's when it all turns to shit. On a funny note though I created a community that has about 10 or so members and all the games last night were full on my community and I couldn't get in them myself. 

18 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Shipping can get expensive but inside of the States I'm sure it's pretty cheap. There's also volume discounts, etc.

I think where most folks are upset is that it was presented that all physical copies would cost $60. I can't recall any mention of the physical copies being sent to stores being $40 before now. I get why people are disappointed with this. It really comes down to bad communication. I also think telling backers it's a donation and they don't know how Kickstarter works is a little bastardly when you remember the game was actually $30 when these people backed and was only bumped to $40 after the single player announcement. Meaning, they paid $45 for their extras and shipping.

No one said that, I said that. It may not be the most heartwarming answer and I don't know about you but if I am throwing down my money on something I am reviewing the terms and conditions which are clear that kickstarter is not a store and you are not buying anything. It is up to individuals to do their due diligence which is also listed in the terms on kickstarter. 

This was my first kickstarter project and yes I read all of the terms before ultimately throwing down $5K into this project. 

A.J. Mason likes this

42 minutes ago, TWarner said:

See Jpops comments above : 

Yeah. I never used Kickstarter. This was also my first time using Backerkit. Which showed PRE-ORDER the entire time. Just seems like really poor planning and communication. 

12 minutes ago, JPops said:

No one said that, I said that. It may not be the most heartwarming answer and I don't know about you but if I am throwing down my money on something I am reviewing the terms and conditions which are clear that kickstarter is not a store and you are not buying anything. It is up to individuals to do their due diligence which is also listed in the terms on kickstarter. 

This was my first kickstarter project and yes I read all of the terms before ultimately throwing down $5K into this project. 

"No one said that, I said that." I get what you're saying but that's hilarious.

I agree the onus is on the purchaser to read the terms of service. It's still a little douchey to blindside folks, even if they agreed to the terms. I'm not invested in this debate, as I'm fine with what I backed at, etc but I do get where people are coming here. Being a Kickstarter project isn't a license for poor communication.

I also disregard the the digital copy given to physical copy buyers- that should never be counted towards what they got, that was an apology and it would be incredibly douchey to consider it anything but an apology. It was the right thing to do but it's not something extra or free- it was a band-aid for messing up the physical launch and not being able to honour a promise.

RustInPeace and karmakaze like this

Hell. The confusion and miscommunication lies with Gun. They consistently called them PRE-ORDERS. On Kickstarter. On Backerkit. On social media. Everyone thought they were PRE-ORDERING. Someone goes to their FB page. Gun posts a link that says "Pre-order the game here!" That's why people are pissed. They feel like they were punished for pre-ordering the game. 

21 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

"No one said that, I said that." I get what you're saying but that's hilarious.

I agree the onus is on the purchaser to read the terms of service. It's still a little douchey to blindside folks, even if they agreed to the terms. I'm not invested in this debate, as I'm fine with what I backed at, etc but I do get where people are coming here. Being a Kickstarter project isn't a license for poor communication.

I also disregard the the digital copy given to physical copy buyers- that should never be counted towards what they got, that was an apology and it would be incredibly douchey to consider it anything but an apology. It was the right thing to do but it's not something extra or free- it was a band-aid for messing up the physical launch and not being able to honour a promise.

That was supposed to say no one from Gun. Reviewing it would have been helpful.

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

Yes. And that's what is the most irritating. I live in the US and backed on backerkit, not Kickstarter. I have every right to complain when they advertise it as $60 as a preorder for the physical copy and now it's going to cost $40 and I could get it much cheaper through Amazon Prime. Shipping is not $20 for a measly PS4 game within the US. I ship items through eBay all the time and I can't even see one package within the US of one physical copy costing over $3-$6 to ship tops. I understand the Kickstarter was the Kickstarter and it had to do with helping create the game, but the same was not said on Backerkit. Knowing now my copy is not at all special and I paid $20 more and knowing this company and how the backers will probably get screwed yet again and probably receive their copies after people who preorder through say Amazon and go into physical stores... I really am at the point where I'd really like a refund. The fact Gun hasn't offered to refund physical backers on backerkit the difference now or even refund them period because I'd certainly like to go off and get my copy for the new retail price.. Kind of crazy to me.

thatdudescott likes this

7 minutes ago, karmakaze said:

Yes. And that's what is the most irritating. I live in the US and backed on backerkit, not Kickstarter. I have every right to complain when they advertise it as $60 as a preorder for the physical copy and now it's going to cost $40 and I could get it much cheaper through Amazon Prime. Shipping is not $20 for a measly PS4 game within the US. I ship items through eBay all the time and I can't even see one package within the US of one physical copy costing over $3-$6 to ship tops. I understand the Kickstarter was the Kickstarter and it had to do with helping create the game, but the same was not said on Backerkit. Knowing now my copy is not at all special and I paid $20 more and knowing this company and how the backers will probably get screwed yet again and probably receive their copies after people who preorder through say Amazon and go into physical stores... I really am at the point where I'd really like a refund. The fact Gun hasn't offered to refund physical backers on backerkit the difference now or even refund them period because I'd certainly like to go off and get my copy for the new retail price.. Kind of crazy to me.

That's what I mean. Gun repeatedly advertised it as a preorder. Anyone going to their FB page saw "Pre-order Now!" with a link that took them to the page that said "PRE-ORDER" again! People are pissed because it looks like they are being punished for preordering. 

karmakaze likes this

I understand how everyone feels, but personally, when I ordered the physical copy for the $60 (+$6 for Savini), I had a feeling the extra $20 would be to cover shipping and anything else left was put right back into the game.  I don't feel cheated because my money went to actual development of the game, not how retail has a set price of $59.99+ tax for a game that doesn't NEED your perorders just to get through development or to pay their developers.  Thinking of it that way (current known bugs aside) I would think everyone would understand that nuance.

There are children literally starving to death.  You backed a game, they are giving you what you agreed to.  Let us gain some perspective.