lHeartBreakerl

maps
Fast paced variant maps

182 posts in this topic

Just now, Ethan said:

Judging by the responses they are getting on FB, I'd say the plan isn't working.

I stay away from there. All sense of sanity is thrown out the window.

2 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Judging by the responses they are getting on FB, I'd say the plan isn't working.

Well jpops seems to like the idea. he says to be patient. and btw gun media isnt the brightest minds. then cant even fix the nes jason intro/outro lol. 

3 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

I stay away from there. All sense of sanity is thrown out the window.

I agree. Too bad there isn't an official forum that anyone could sign up for that they could make these announcements. Instead, we get to piece things together from like 5 different places!

I really like this game and try to remain positive, but sometimes its hard to stay positive.

Can someone explain the actual point of smaller, restricted versions of the maps we already have?? I'm seriously asking. 

Splatterhouse likes this

7 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Can someone explain the actual point of smaller, restricted versions of the maps we already have?? I'm seriously asking. 

Faster paced gameplay? Faster matches? I honestly couldn't say. I don't see the appeal but I'm all for free stuff.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

I asked that on the first page as well as the fourth. I have seen two theories. One: player base has declined and these smaller maps may allow 5 players or so to queue up. two: some people say its like an arena mode that is designed to be quick mindless fun with less focus on repair goals. The only people who know are GUN and they did not include it in the announcement.

I answered the point of the smaller maps. Sometimes you either don't want or have time to sit for ages with a single map yet would like to play. It gives you an actual quick way to play, if implemented well. The matches are 20 minutes...now add funding a lobby, load times, cut scenes, waiting for readying up(and if some people quit and new people join, more readying up), and spectating if you die...you are looking at around 30-45 minutes for a single match. Now cut the map nearly in half. Everything is more fast paced, lessening the time you would have to sit and wait. Not by a lot, but maybe just enough to be able to fit in one match if you don't have a full hour to spare. 

Also, as I stated earlier...it would make Higgins Haven more true to the film since it wasn't a camp. 

I think it's cool. I've been expecting some different game types to come, down the road. And I think that's a good thing.

Anyone comparing this to "New Maps" and criticizing them for doing this before releasing new maps is pretty much missing the reality of reality. Oh, yeah, let me whip up completely new maps, because that's quick and easy to do, especially compared to releasing a smaller, game variant, which could also be enjoyable. One does NOT come ENTIRELY at the cost of the other. I'm sure actual new maps will come, and there will likely be some new art assets too - depending on what they choose to do next.

The artists working on that stuff would not necessarily have much, if anything, to do with this release. PLUS, this is just something THEY wanted to make. You know... people who make things, make the things they want. It's cool. Especially when you're the ones making them. Try and enjoy your side of it - especially without assuming you know better than them, while you sit on your ass and complain, lol. :D 

dandop1984 likes this

9 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

Aside from the last few sentences, now I am agreeing with @Nomadder!? Stop doing this to me, forum!

Haha, to be fair, I think we only disagreed once or twice, and it was probably, mostly, the same topic. :D It was just our introduction to each other.

Still, I guess what I am saying is that we are in disagreement about whether us agreeing is normal or not!! :D So, there... happy now?? 

I like this addition, looking forward to trying it out. I'm sure they have new maps in store for us as well, but these smaller variants will provide a different experience that could be pretty exciting. 

It also occurred to me, though it's probably wishful thinking, that these smaller map variants could potentially have something to do with adding Pamela in the future (even Roy, but let's avoid that debate). By decreasing the map, it increases the viability of a human killer who would not have Jason's supernatural mobility. Don't want to go off-topic here, just a little food for thought.

TheReaper666 likes this

Probably has something to do with reducing match length, thus spectate time, allowing for more matches. Also serves to increase tension when Jason is never that far away from whatever you are up to. I'm not complaining. They are different variations on what we have, but I'll be much more thrilled when new full-sized maps hit the game. For now, I'll enjoy the free content.

My initial gut take is that this is gonna be bad. Smaller maps like Packanack are easy mode for Jason. Crystal Lake with it's size is what makes it hard on Jason. More ground to cover lets counselors get away with more. Unless there are less or no objectives or something else to mitigate the power disparity, Jason's gonna clean house without effort. 

14 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

My initial gut take is that this is gonna be bad. ........ Jason's gonna clean house without effort. 

jaws-meme-were-gonna-need-a-bigger-bette

This may make that ridiculous 1000x as Jason trophy easier if match lengths are shorter. Not by much though...

Smaller maps?  I never heard anybody make the suggestion that maps should be smaller or complain that the maps are too big.

Maybe smaller maps would make the game crash less, be less laggy?  Games would quicken the pace of the game.

I like that they're trying though.  And I like that it's an option.  One of this games biggest problems are lack of options and variety.  Content.

Im all for the smaller maps on one condition. As long as there not lumped in with the bigger maps, when the server randomly chooses the location. There should be an option,if youre in the mood for the old big maps, or new smaller ones. Then depending on what you choose, it will still be the same where the server chooses the location as always.

I wonder how they're gonna make Crystal Lake smaller. Cut out Springwater? :P

4 hours ago, Ethan said:

Some on FB would respond with frothing rage if Gun started handing out free gold bars. I've seen some of the most vile and hateful replies there in the past couple months, it's really disappointing stuff but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Social media, instant response, instant bid for attention.

It may get harsh sometimes here, but in comparison, this is one of the most mellow places for the game.

4 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Faster paced gameplay? Faster matches? I honestly couldn't say. I don't see the appeal but I'm all for free stuff.

Could you imagine if they tried charging for smaller versions of maps we already have? Unless it came with a new mode or radically altered gameplay there would be chaos in the streets. They're catching flak for the free maps just imagine if they tried charging. 

They would start seeing real life trolls. They come out of the office for lunch and notice their battery is missing and gas cap is off. For the next 20 minutes they search the surrounding area until a person in a Jason mask appears with a boombox blasting his theme. 

lHeartBreakerl likes this

5 hours ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Like the retro Jason skin,it's the bare minimum of work for them to do in order to push out content. Way easier to recycle the same assets that are already across the three existing maps and shrink them than it is to release a truly new map,which HAS to be coming on October 13th. Although if it's just an abandoned camp...Ugh.

I guess I just thought that since the game launched with such little content,they already had at least one completed map to release. Either way,the  general players (not forum users or discord) are in quite the uproar.

5 hours ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

Faster games because of a smaller map. That's pretty much the main point, quick fire rounds where you've really gotta move with little quiet time because Jason's going to find you much easier. They haven't said but it could be a good bet that it'll have a reduced time limit as well.

Hmmm....this seems to be alot to process...theres not alot of info an much is left up in the air for us to grab and guess at.

My immediate reaction is that this is silly an will be less fun then what we already have. 

However, lets throw some assumptions in their.

Say the smaller maps take only 6 player maximums, 5 councilors rushing after a single 2 seater, calling the cops, an trying to survive for 12-15 mins? Hey that cld be fun. Really bites into the "whos guna make it?" Question like when there's 6 people trying to get the 4 seater going...obviously SOMEBODY is getting left behind.

i wld also assume that there will be no shack or sweater on the smaller maps, or maybe if there is theres no tommy? Long story short no real way to kill jason. Requiring even more teamwork and communication since id assume every other counselor will be a shift grab away.

Lots to think about, an even more to ponder. If done in a way to increase tension on BOTH sides then this could be fun or a big flop.

Hopefully more will come to light as these maps come closer to our possession. Ill hold my real opinion for when they come out with my fingers crossed that they are excellent.

@GunMedia_Ben maybe you cld give a little info on the details to go along with the new maps? Help quiet the thoughts running rampant in our little minds?