Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lHeartBreakerl

F13: The Game on Rollingstones "Best Games of 2017 (so far)"

13 posts in this topic

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/lists/best-video-games-of-2017-so-far-w494312/torment-tides-of-numenera-w494327

"Scream taught us that horror movies have rules and the Friday The 13th series were particularly rulebound – at least before they went into space and started crossing over with Nightmare On Elm Street and Evil Dead. But the classic Friday The 13th movies, the ones with Jason Voorhees and his mother stalking camp counselors through the woods as punishment for being teenagers, had the kind of rules that make them perfect for adaptation into online multiplayer. Jason's ability to always be in the most surprising place, to appear behind people out of nowhere, becomes a teleport. Always knowing where victims will be? A kind of fear vision. Counselors scream automatically when they discover bodies, and fumble through minigames when trying to repair a car or boat to escape in it. The game mechanics model horror movie tropes so neatly that sometimes people in the local voice chat roleplay along, which heightens the experience even further. Even when you die it's still fun, transforming into a spectator watching with popcorn as the bodies pile up and shouting “He's behind you!” because he always is."

Granted, it's a long list. If this was a top 10 I'd consider it more of an accomplishment but top 30 just makes it kind of underwhelming. But it's great the game made it on the list and I'm glad that it did.

But this part here form the article I disagree with; "Even when you die it's still fun, transforming into a spectator watching with popcorn as the bodies pile up and shouting “He's behind you!” because he always is."

Starchild likes this

Spectating can be fun if there is a lot of activity going on such as car/boat escape attempts, but not so much if the survivors are hiding for the remainder of the match.

malloymk and gtdjlocker311 like this

7 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

Spectating can be fun if there is a lot of activity going on such as car/boat escape attempts, but not so much if the survivors are hiding for the remainder of the match.

Spectating is interesting maybe 1 out of 10 times. It blows. :)

I enjoy spectating because of the groups I play with. Other people that died/escaped and I talk, joke, as we watch what unfolds. It all boils down to who you play with I believe!

and regardless, nice to make any top list! Congrats!

malloymk likes this

Some positivity for once!

But spectate blows under the following conditions....

1. Hiding in legal spots...its legal but still boring

2. Jason and the last person are friends and fucking off until time expires

3. Jason is fucking off, letting the counselor run around just to enjoy playing Jason once every handful of matches

10 minutes ago, cruehitman said:

I enjoy spectating because of the groups I play with. Other people that died/escaped and I talk, joke, as we watch what unfolds. It all boils down to who you play with I believe!

and regardless, nice to make any top list! Congrats!

Yeah at least when spectating you can pass the time by chatting with the others who are dead/escaped.

I love spectating in a good lobby. When you have a bunch of people yelling at the screen and mocking people it can be really fun. Otherwise I'll often just do something else until it's over, unless I feel like I'm able to learn by watching.

Wow, I am surprise to see any publication give it that high of rank. I mean, I know I would, but I am also a huge fan so I'm bias.  Overall, I have been please with my gaming experience this year, had Resident Evil 7 at the start of the year, followed that with lots of fun with  Friday the 13th and then South Park in the fall. I might not buy many games in a years time, but so far the ones I have bought have all been worth every penny.  Probably will buy Hellblade tonight its getting good reviews and its cheap.  

54 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Spectating is interesting maybe 1 out of 10 times. It blows. :)

You should try a Hunger Games or Purge death match where all bets are off. Counselor on counselor fighting is encouraged and refereed by Jason. You literally spectate multiple fights going on around camp, and sometimes three or four people are involved. Jason sets traps, breaks down walls, and even steps in fights sometimes to level the playing field between counselors. It makes a lot of those perks you have saved up worth having. Plus, it's a lot of fun to watch. It's basically last counselor standing wins, and then Jason gets the final hunt and kill. The game is not for points, it's for pure fun.

NthnButAGoodTime likes this

Just now, x OLd ScRatCh x said:

It's basically last counselor standing wins, and then Jason gets the final hunt and kill.

I'll stick to the meta.

Good! A little positive publication is nice to see. The game has its faults but its obvious the love an dedication went into making it authentic.

Spectating is only as fun as the people you play with. Meaning if you can have a funny intelligent conversation in the afterlife while you wait, its not too bad. But if its all complaining and high pitched voices, id rather get a hug from my main dude wearing the hockey mask. (*nods head off to the side where Roy salutes in the shadows*)