lHeartBreakerl

teamkilling
Kotaku article on teamkilling

227 posts in this topic

ON PC, I could see a scenario where the block user works like it does for L4D2. Valve took a lot of shit for that update but the block does work on official servers. It prevents blocked players from joining at the lobby level or even in game, giving off the message that one or more users has blocked you from joining this game.

Sure trolls could use it in reverse, however using it in reverse only defeats their own purpose of ruining other people's games. You need other players to ruin their games.

If the block feature was able to keep team killers from joining lobbies/games with legit players, problem solved and for them to use it, defeats their entire purpose.

4 minutes ago, LadySansaLannister said:

A toggle for friendly fire in private matches at this point is the best compromise at this point. Friendly fire should automatically be off for public matches but the hosts of private matches can make their own decisions on friendly fire being allowed or not.

Therefore everyone can be happy. I'm part of the anti-team killing coalition so as host I would have the toggle off. I have never gotten a sense of "thrill" from some asshole beaming me in the head with a pipe for shits and giggles, nor from some wannabe hunger games tribute shooting me down for my supplies. Team killing has never been "thrilling" or "fun" for me, and I don't want anyone trying to justify it to me personally.

But if you enjoy the "added suspense" of team killing, then that's on you and you would have the power to have that option on and dick around with your friends. 

Make friendly fire an option for private matches.

100% agreement to all of this M'Lady and best of luck with the Iron Throne.

;)

LadySansaLannister likes this

4 minutes ago, LadySansaLannister said:

A toggle for friendly fire in private matches at this point is the best compromise at this point. Friendly fire should automatically be off for public matches but the hosts of private matches can make their own decisions on friendly fire being allowed or not.

Therefore everyone can be happy. I'm part of the anti-team killing coalition so as host I would have the toggle off. I have never gotten a sense of "thrill" from some asshole beaming me in the head with a pipe for shits and giggles, nor from some wannabe hunger games tribute shooting me down for my supplies. Team killing has never been "thrilling" or "fun" for me, and I don't want anyone trying to justify it to me personally.

But if you enjoy the "added suspense" of team killing, then that's on you and you would have the power to have that option on and dick around with your friends. 

Make friendly fire an option for private matches.

4 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

:(

Yeahhhhhhhhhh,I don't find it fun or "thrilling."

I agree. I don't get the idea that it adds anything to the game. I was exiting a cabin through a window and was shot- yay, now I get to spectate or try to find a new lobby. Finding a new lobby just led me to different teamkillers last night.

For those being chased by teamkillers, the only escape is to either hide under a bed, in a closet or swim into the lake. Yay...

I don't know, man, it just seems like the argument is to put training wheels on your bike because the little prick down the street won't stop trying to run you off the road. The problem isn't the bike, the problem is the twerp ruining your bike ride. Corralling those types of players into their own little crappy lobby ruins their fun and preserves the danger element of the game.

Otherwise what? A full four-seater just crashes when the sourpus that missed the bus runs into its way, or gets their buddy to stand at the front while they stand at the back? A Jason-helping player can guard Jason by standing between you and your target? 

Friendly-fire isn't the problem. The problem is the trolls. Don't break an element of the game, fix the chances of playing with people who are ruining it

51 minutes ago, LadySansaLannister said:

Team killing has never been "thrilling" or "fun" for me, and I don't want anyone trying to justify it to me personally.

I'm not going to try to justify it because you have made your stance on the subject very clear, but I will give you a scenario. You are in a match that is "NO T/K". Your team fixes the 4 seater car. Unfortunately, there are 5 people wanting a ride. The odd man out, if he is a prick, with troll you by standing in front of or behind the car so you can't move. Sure, you can take off the other way, but that will probably give Jason the second or two he needs to morph over and disable the car. You can't run over the guy and get away, so, he is effectively blocking 50% of your escape options.

I agree that a toggle to turn friendly fire on/off is a great idea. But it should be an option in both Public and Private lobbies. It would be fair to all parties. Putting together a private game takes time, and some people don't have the time to do so. So, I believe that both options should be available in both modes of play. I like playing quick matches against randoms, and I do prefer games in which the added danger of being hurt or killed by another counselor is there. It is also more realistic.

4 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I'm not going to try to justify it because you have made your stance on the subject very clear, but I will give you a scenario. You are in a match that is "NO T/K". Your team fixes the 4 seater car. Unfortunately, there are 5 people wanting a ride. The odd man out, if he is a prick, with troll you by standing in front of or behind the car so you can't move. Sure, you can take off the other way, but that will probably give Jason the second or two he needs to morph over and disable the car. You can't run over the guy and get away, so, he is effectively blocking 50% of your escape options.

I agree that a toggle to turn friendly fire on/off is a great idea. But it should be an option in both Public and Private lobbies. It would be fair to all parties. Putting together a private game takes time, and some people don't have the time to do so. So, I believe that both options should be available in both modes of play. I like playing quick matches against randoms, and I do prefer games in which the added danger of being hurt or killed by another counselor is there. It is also more realistic.

I think most people are fine with the car being able to kill. It's the counselors killing each other with weapons that is the issue.

ReelBigPeacock likes this

12 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

TK people with melee weapons are the problem, not the cars. I have never heard of any complaints of trolls running over people with cars like it's GTA. If it does happen, it's not nearly an issue as with the weapons.

If we can't even kick someone in a public match, then why would we have the privilege to toggle friendly fire on and off in public matches? Quick play matches are just that,  random matches with random people. Why should the hosts in public matches have any specialized options when we are not even allowed to kick people in them? Private matches seemed to be the mode where we can choose specialized options.

18 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I think most people are fine with the car being able to kill. It's the counselors killing each other with weapons that is the issue.

Friendly fire is friendly fire. I've seen people rampage all over the map running over everyone that they can. That why I said a universal toggle for friendly fire on/off would be a great solution. As the host, you would make the choice when creating the lobby. People looking to join lobbies would know beforehand if it is FF or Non-FF. I think it is a good idea. I just think it should be an option in both public and private games.

LadySansaLannister  

I think that a voting system would be great too. Honestly, I think the toggle for friendly fire would be easier to implement. You suggested a toggle on private matches. I just think it should be an option for both modes of play. I am not trying to argue, I hate getting shot in the face by random douchebags as much as anyone. But, I think the added danger of friendly fire adds realism to the game. 

4 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

Friendly fire is friendly fire. I've seen people rampage all over the map running over everyone that they can. That why I said a universal toggle for friendly fire on/off would be a great solution. As the host, you would make the choice when creating the lobby. People looking to join lobbies would know beforehand if it is FF or Non-FF. I think it is a good idea. I just think it should be an option in both public and private games.

I agree with a toggle but still have no issue with the car killing people- you can dodge a car, get behind a tree, go in a cabin, etc.

Just now, bewareofbears said:

I agree with a toggle but still have no issue with the car killing people- you can dodge a car, get behind a tree, go in a cabin, etc.

You can dodge a shotgun (I've done it), you can fight back, you can kite the team-killing asshole, etc...

I have to go back to work now, my lunch break is almost over. I'll come back to this discussion after work. I just hope nobody thinks I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. I just think that completely eliminating friendly fire for everyone in public matches removes a huge aspect of the game design. 

24 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

LadySansaLannister  

I think that a voting system would be great too. Honestly, I think the toggle for friendly fire would be easier to implement. You suggested a toggle on private matches. I just think it should be an option for both modes of play. I am not trying to argue, I hate getting shot in the face by random douchebags as much as anyone. But, I think the added danger of friendly fire adds realism to the game. 

You can kick people in private matches as the host, but not public. I just don't think it's plausible to have a toggle option for public matches when we're not allowed to kick people in them. If we could, then I wouldn't be opposed to a toggle option for both modes. EDIT: Honestly if they added a toggle option for both, I would still be fine with it, I would just wonder why the host still isn't allowed to kick in public. Private matches seemed to be the mode where you can have special options.

I'm not trying to argue either, I'm just pointing that out. I see your viewpoint.

11 minutes ago, LadySansaLannister said:

TK people with melee weapons are the problem, not the cars. I have never heard of any complaints of trolls running over people with cars like it's GTA. If it does happen, it's not nearly an issue as with the weapons.

10 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

1 minute ago, Rexfellis said:

You can dodge a shotgun (I've done it), you can fight back, you can kite the team-killing asshole, etc...

I have to go back to work now, my lunch break is almost over. I'll come back to this discussion after work. I just hope nobody thinks I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. I just think that completely eliminating friendly fire for everyone in public matches removes a huge aspect of the game design. 

I also hope I'm not coming across as arguing as entertainment.

The only times I've felt helpless against friendly fire was when a player honked the horn to offer a ride and then mowed me and everyone else down with the car, once we were out in the open. I can fight off a machete wielding counselor. I'm out of luck against a car.

Trolls will still use a lock against friendly fire to their advantage, either boxing in a car with their bodies or holding onto key items, knowing you can't possible take them back. Toggling friendly fire just gives them a different way to frustrate you.

This is what the franchise is known for...characters killing others and their only real motivation is they're jerks. It's like you've never seen a Saw sequel before. And it's like I have never seen a F13th movie CAUSE CHARACTERS KILLING CHARACTERS HAS NO PLACE IN THE FRANCHISE. Sorry about that.

I recently got team killed just the other day. I was in a group with my friends, and a few randoms

We where trying to go for Jason kills, and i got the sweater, and unfortunately Tommy Jarvis was a random dude who wasn't in on it. I found him, and told him "lets kill Jason"

He was mad I found him, and was telling me to get lost, as i will attrack Jason to his location, so the guy was a Bad Tommy Jarvis, as Tommy should be fighting and protecting, Not hiding for half the match. Anyways Tommy escapes to the police, and I go for the crashed 2 seater, and do a really epic escape, and in the lobby people where cheering for my escape, and making fun of Tommy for being a wimp. I wasn't saying anything bad about him.

The next match starts, and I see the Guy. He starts swinging a machete at me. I tell him to watch it, he swings again. I dodge, and i dodge again. I tell him he needs to practise his melee swing, and I just peace off to the next cabin, and that match ends.

Then another match starts, and I'm hanging out in a cabin, and see on my mini map a councillor is outside. I open a window, and it's the Guy, and he blows me away with a shotgun

I assumed  the guy was sour because he was called out for being a Loser Tommy, and even more sour when I dodged his Machete attacks. Most team killers are like that, they have petty reasons for Team Killing, and his ego was probably shattered, and needed to feel in charge.

I know he wanted a reaction from me in the lobby, and I didn't say a thing to him or my friends in the Lobby. I sat out the entire game, and didn't wanna give that troll the satisfaction. I bit my lip, and remained quite, and eventually he left our lobby.

2 hours ago, thatdudescott said:

:(

Yeahhhhhhhhhh,I don't find it fun or "thrilling."

I'm just going to wait for singleplayer lol 

30 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

This is what the franchise is known for...characters killing others and their only real motivation is they're jerks. It's like you've never seen a Saw sequel before. And it's like I have never seen a F13th movie CAUSE CHARACTERS KILLING CHARACTERS HAS NO PLACE IN THE FRANCHISE. Sorry about that.

Let me give you a few examples of characters killing characters in the franchise:

Joey Burns axed to death by Victor Faden Part V
Crew Member accidentally shot in the chest with a shotgun by Wayne Webber in Part VIII
Not counting the possessed people in Jason Goes to Hell: Vicki shot a diner patron, Steve Freeman cut Officer Randy's throat, and Jessica Kimble killed Sheriff Landis.

Yes, it is rare, but it did happen in the movies. I don't think a huge aspect of the game should be completely locked because of a very vocal minority. If we do that we'll have to start...Nerfing Jason, removing traps from the game, giving everyone a Savini Skin, oh no! That pissed off the backers, take away the skins, oh no! That pissed off the people that had it then lost it, ok remove the Savini Skin, now everyone's pissed off!!! See? I don't see the devs taking the friendly fire aspect out of the game.

Another reason I thought of to leave it in. Repercussions for poor decision-making or panicking. Picture this: Jason has picked up a counselor, and you happen to have a shotgun. You fire at Jason to rescue the counselor, and miss.

Scenario 1: No friendly fire- You are not really penalized for playing poorly, other than losing your chance with the shotgun and Jason is probably mad because you tried to shoot him. And, I believe poor play should be penalized. Otherwise, you will never try to get better.

Scenario 2: Friendly fire- You take an experience point hit, you need to apologize to the poor soul you accidentally killed, and Jason is pissed at you. Not only because you took a potshot at him, but because you stole his kill. This gives you incentive to slow down, take your time, and line up your shot properly next time so you don't have to deal with that shit again. Hence, you learn a valuable lesson, and you are less inclined to ever make that mistake again.

Removing friendly fire from the game just gets rid of a small symptom of a much larger disease. Trolls are going to happen. You take this tool away from them, they will find another. It is a sad, pathetic reality of online multiplayer gaming. Friday the 13th is not the special little snowflake that has to bear the brunt of this. Trolls, greifers, exploiters...whatever you want to call them have been around since the days of Warcraft back in the early 90s (and probably before). It is just something you have to deal with if you want to play games online against real people. Some real people just happen to be real assholes!

Now I really gotta get back to work. 😂😂

NthnButAGoodTime likes this

1 minute ago, Rexfellis said:

Yes, it is rare, but it did happen in the movies. I don't think a huge aspect of the game should be completely locked because of a very vocal minority. If we do that we'll have to start...Nerfing Jason, removing traps from the game, giving everyone a Savini Skin, oh no! That pissed off the backers, take away the skins, oh no! That pissed off the people that had it then lost it, ok remove the Savini Skin, now everyone's pissed off!!! See? I don't see the devs taking the friendly fire aspect out of the game.

You lost me. I'm not sure how Savini is related to TK's.

But TK should still be implemented for those "happy accidents" and just allow an option to toggle it off and on. Simple. Easy. Effective.

2 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

You lost me. I'm not sure how Savini is related to TK's.

I'm just saying that the Devs should not feel pressured to make major changes to the game because a few people don't like it. The examples I gave were some of the most prevalent complaints I've seen made by people who want things changed just because they had bad experiences with them.

Just now, Rexfellis said:

I'm just saying that the Devs should not feel pressured to make major changes to the game because a few people don't like it. The examples I gave were some of the most prevalent complaints I've seen made by people who want things changed just because they had bad experiences with them.

Well, an exclusive item and in game features being abused are different under these circumstances.

I'm not saying TK'ing should be removed, but it needs to be adjusted to compensate for the trolls.

@Rexfellis Victor was psychotic. He was taken away by the police after. Wayne was one of those "happy accidents." Everyone in JGtH were technically Jason. It happened in one movie out of 10(not,counting FvJ and the remake) where a guy accidentally shot someone. So, everyone should be able to kill everyone.

4 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Well, an exclusive item and in game features being abused are different under these circumstances.

I'm not saying TK'ing should be removed, but it needs to be adjusted to compensate for the trolls.

Like I said, I was just bringing up unrealistic changes in the game that people have asked for in the past. I agree with you that it should be adjusted. I love the toggle idea, and it seems fair to everyone. But like I said, it will not stop the trolls, it will just be a minor speed bump for them. Most of these guys have nothing better to do than find ways to suck the fun out of online games. It would be putting a band aid on a bullet wound.

23 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

@Rexfellis Victor was psychotic. He was taken away by the police after. Wayne was one of those "happy accidents." Everyone in JGtH were technically Jason. It happened in one movie out of 10(not,counting FvJ and the remake) where a guy accidentally shot someone. So, everyone should be able to kill everyone.

Yeah, Victor was psychotic. Who's to say that councilor that got hired the same day you did is not psychotic? Everyone tin JGtH was not technically Jason. I did not include any of the people that were possessed in my example. And yes, everyone should be able to kill everyone. Just like real life. There are psychos out there, and accidents happen with weapons all of the damn time. Like I've said multiple times. Removing friendly fire will not stop the trolls in any way, shape, or form. It will just remove an aspect of realism from the game.

16 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

Yeah, Victor was psychotic. Who's to say that councilor that got hired the same day you did is not psychotic? Everyone tin JGtH was not technically Jason. I did not include any of the people that were possessed in my example. And yes, everyone should be able to kill everyone. Just like real life. There are psychos out there, and accidents happen with weapons all of the damn time. Like I've said multiple times. Removing friendly fire will not stop the trolls in any way, shape, or form. It will just remove an aspect of realism from the game.

This game is not realistic. The movies were not realistic. It is an unrealistic game based on an unrealistic franchise.

It's apparent the current -1000 xp isn't working, what they should be doing to teamkillers who do it like this asshat Solid_Snake7 and kill multiple counselors in multiple games is start making that -1000 xp knock their level down.  Then maybe if they keep doing that and notice they are having some of their couselors or Jasons taken away from them, maybe then they'd think twice about continuing such behavior!

8 hours ago, RAGEVIRUS said:

I've been banned on xbox 4 times and 4 times on this forum for angry worded messages. I was thinking hunting him with a machete or shotgun. 

Lol.  I've been banned on Xbox for messages too!  I couldn't send messages for like 2 weeks.