23 posts in this topic

So I have an idea for an alternate game mode for F13. While people are suggesting for Roy to be included as another Jason, he wouldn't really be able to fit into Jason's role since he's just a normal guy. 

So what I was thinking was there could be a game mode that takes inspiration from the old ZX Spectrum Friday the 13th game. Where everyone is a counselor and one is chosen to be "Jason" and the objective for them is to kill everyone and it's everyone else's goal to find and kill the Jason player. So for this Friday the 13th game, it could be that everyone spawns as a counselor and one player is selected to be Roy. They aren't revealed to be Roy until they are caught killing someone, or are killed. Unlike regular F13 matches, this would have no escape options and the entire goal would be for Roy to either kill all counselors or be killed. 

So the player chosen to be Roy would start the match like they are a normal counselor, finding weapons etc. And they would try and single out counselors and kill them indiscreetly. The player being attacked would see they are Roy but not anyone else unless they witness them doing it. Roy could work either as a counselor simply wearing the Roy mask and coveralls, or a full-on unique model. The counselor just dressed as Roy seems like a better idea. 

The Roy player would have the same combat as Jason does with weapon swings and blocking, but much weaker in terms of fighting as unlike Jason he can't outright grab and kill execute someone, he would rely entirely on killing with hits. The most important thing with Roy is he can be killed outright unlike Jason who requires a series of steps to be killed. Counselors would have to work together to defeat Roy and hurt him enough to kill him. If the players succeed in killing Roy or if maybe time runs out, they win the match. If Roy kills every counselor, he wins.

It would basically be an asymmetrical multiplayer mafia game. 

Blasphemy... How dare you call Roy a normal guy. Most kills in the series up to that point, run over by a loader, and so on. Also very creative with leather straps, road flares and hedge clippers... He deserves to be his own "Jason"... A Pinehurst map with Roy would be great. However, there should be only 1 way to unmask and kill him. That should involve Pamela, Reggie, Tommy and a spike landing from the barn loft. He's definately not the soft, weak individual you seem to think he is.

46 minutes ago, tjohnnyblue said:

Blasphemy... How dare you call Roy a normal guy. Most kills in the series up to that point, run over by a loader, and so on. Also very creative with leather straps, road flares and hedge clippers... He deserves to be his own "Jason"... A Pinehurst map with Roy would be great. However, there should be only 1 way to unmask and kill him. That should involve Pamela, Reggie, Tommy and a spike landing from the barn loft. He's definately not the soft, weak individual you seem to think he is.

The only way you can kill me is in the barn loft? Sure! You guys head on over. I'll meet you there.

friday-the-13th-part-3-jason.jpg

tjohnnyblue and Quinn FTW like this

2 hours ago, tjohnnyblue said:

Roy can't stop a car with his bare hands or survive a shotgun blast. It's the reason Pamela Voorhees won't be playable. 

15 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Roy can't stop a car with his bare hands or survive a shotgun blast. It's the reason Pamela Voorhees won't be playable. 

While that may be true, the simple solution to that would be to simply leave them off boards centered around those 2. They obviously had some sort of plan for putting Pamela into the game, as she was one of their original stretch goals. As they added more maps it would be kind of cool to see certain killers selectable to certain settings. It would also be cool to see some different methods to stop the vehichles also, perhaps giving the human killers a different approach.  

5 minutes ago, tjohnnyblue said:

While that may be true, the simple solution to that would be to simply leave them off boards centered around those 2. They obviously had some sort of plan for putting Pamela into the game, as she was one of their original stretch goals. As they added more maps it would be kind of cool to see certain killers selectable to certain settings. It would also be cool to see some different methods to stop the vehichles also, perhaps giving the human killers a different approach.  

What would his powers be? 

35 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

What would his powers be? 

Thats a good question. Perhaps to give up things like morph and focus more on stealth and running speed. Make the human killers Pamela and Roy be more like the counselors, in that they do more of the human things to combat them better. I can see Pamela driving her green jeep around to run an escaping car off the road to disable it. Roy was stealthy, so get rid of music and snowy screens to signal he is coming. Its more or less just figuring out ways to balance the 1 vs 7 dynamic with these 2 and i'm sure there would be some easy ways to accomplish that.       

Look, I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this, but:

On 7/15/2017 at 1:55 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I'm just going to re-post what I've said before. It's really getting on my nerves that people don't see Roy fulfills Jason's role.

Quote from Tom Morga, the stuntman that played the blue-cheeked Jason:

"Actually when I did the show, I wasn't trying to differentiate; I was trying to be Jason at all times because the point of it was that this was a Jason character and if the audience would buy that this is Jason that's what we were looking for and we'd reveal what it was later."

Roy should be a Jason type killer. He should not be something additional that exists at the same time as Jason in a match. The point of the game is to copy the tropes of the movies. Put aside any sort of "logic" like "oh well Roy is a normal guy so he should be a normal guy that can get killed in one shot and take vehicles apart and yadayadayada" no, stop it. Stop. It. "Roy" or "Jason-Roy" did not do those things in the movie. He should do what he did in the movie, which is stalk people and kill people. That's all he did while in the mask. The game should copy the themes from the movies, and Roy is as much "Jason" as "Jason" is thematically speaking.

tjohnnyblue likes this

2 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Look, I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this, but:

Blue-Cheeked Jason. That's the first time I've encountered that term. I like it.

....Ol' Blue Cheeks...

Part V Jason would be a great addition to the game.

Roy/Jason moves very fast from location to location in the movie, so his morph ability should be strong.

Can he actually teleport? No, but neither can the early Jasons. Attribute that to horror movie magic.

His stalk should also be strong. I don't think we actually see Roy/Jason until the final act of the film, so his victims shouldn't see him coming.

Stalk > Morph > Sense > Shift

P.S. The retro skin should be switched to Part V Jason when he's added - it would fit the NES game model better.

1 hour ago, Televisionary said:

Stalk > Morph > Sense > Shift

Are you saying that should be the order of Roy's abilities? Getting stalk first would be detrimental because Roy or Jason would have to walk to the nearest cabin. Morph should always be the first ability. Unless you mean those are the order of how strong those abilities should be.

Interesting idea, but I think that would probably encourage too much random killings.

I don't agree with Roy and/or Pamela not having a grab. It's really needed. However, their "grabs" should look different. Like instead of lifting a person off the ground by their neck, Roy and Pamela tackle the person to the ground, and then kill them.

For added fun, give Roy and Pamela the ability to hide in counselor hiding locations. If a counselor tries to use a hiding spot they're in, the counselor is instantly killed.

53 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Are you saying that should be the order of Roy's abilities? Getting stalk first would be detrimental because Roy or Jason would have to walk to the nearest cabin. Morph should always be the first ability. Unless you mean those are the order of how strong those abilities should be.

Good question.

The order of abilities should be the same as other Jasons. I'm proposing that should be the strength of his abilities. 

The only thing that would make Roy a cool Jason is if he could run and have stamina like Vanessa,  now that would be scary as hell trying to run away from that or trying to hide in a cabin as he cuts the door down in a very fast way.  But then again he couldn't really stop a car or handle many machete or axe swings,  but hey it would be a fun trade off if a lot of the fans we're up for that kinda challenge

1 hour ago, Jokesonu! said:

The only thing that would make Roy a cool Jason is if he could run and have stamina like Vanessa,  now that would be scary as hell trying to run away from that or trying to hide in a cabin as he cuts the door down in a very fast way.  But then again he couldn't really stop a car or handle many machete or axe swings,  but hey it would be a fun trade off if a lot of the fans we're up for that kinda challenge

The only thing that would make Roy a cool Jason is if he was treated exactly as Jason, as he was in the film. ;)

Risinggrave and RustInPeace like this

4 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

The only thing that would make Roy a cool Jason is if he was treated exactly as Jason, as he was in the film. ;)

Only Roy Jason can really kick Tommy Jarvis' ass. Even Kung Fu Tommy.

On a serious not, though they may have treated it as Jason from an acting stand point, they did not actually put Royson what other Jasons have been through. They did not shoot him, drown him, set him on fire, shoot him some more, axe him in the head, hang him, shove a machete through his head, cut his hand in half, shoot him some more, or beat him with a claw hammer.

He did get hit with a tractor though, so there's that.

He did not undergo the same torment Jason had because he was human. How do you reflect that in the game?

As for the Tommy kill requirement, Tommy was involved in Roy's death, but the sweater? Why would Roy care about a crusty old piece of wool?

Roy would require a whole new set of rules in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Definitelynotjason said:

Only Roy Jason can really kick Tommy Jarvis' ass. Even Kung Fu Tommy.

On a serious not, though they may have treated it as Jason from an acting stand point, they did not actually put Royson what other Jasons have been through. They did not shoot him, drown him, set him on fire, shoot him some more, axe him in the head, hang him, shove a machete through his head, cut his hand in half, shoot him some more, or beat him with a claw hammer.

He did get hit with a tractor though, so there's that.

He did not undergo the same torment Jason had because he was human. How do you reflect that in the game?

As for the Tommy kill requirement, Tommy was involved in Roy's death, but the sweater? Why would Roy care about a crusty old piece of wool?

Roy would require a whole new set of rules in my opinion.

Roy doesn't take as much damage because he's a better stalker, much more effective than Jason at times. And a lot of the damage you mentioned happens to Jason just before he's killed or when he's "undead".

Kill conditions would have to change obviously, and no Pamela's voice, but outside of that- not much.

1 minute ago, bewareofbears said:

Roy doesn't take as much damage because he's a better stalker, much more effective than Jason at times. And a lot of the damage you mentioned happens to Jason just before he's killed or when he's "undead".

Kill conditions would have to change obviously, and no Pamela's voice, but outside of that- not much.

Admittedly, most of that happens during the final chase as you point out, but Jason still took it all, Roy took a couple of whacks and a tractor. Roy was clearly not meant to be seen as the same unstoppable killingh machine. The film makers wanted you to believe he was just a person and not the unstoppable killing machine.

Though, now that I am thinking about it, you are right, not a lot happened to sack jason. It was rapey and final chapter Jason that got beat up the most as alive Jasons. I may be coming around on a part 2 style stalking Jason as Roy. Maybe they could add blowing out tires cinematic instead of bare hands stopping the car. I think the car stop is the only real indestructible killing machine thing that happens in game. Yeah Jason takes a lot to kill and so very many knives to the throat, but adrenaline can make you walk through some of it, including gunshots. Ask 50cent about it.

36 minutes ago, Definitelynotjason said:

Admittedly, most of that happens during the final chase as you point out, but Jason still took it all, Roy took a couple of whacks and a tractor. Roy was clearly not meant to be seen as the same unstoppable killingh machine. The film makers wanted you to believe he was just a person and not the unstoppable killing machine.

Though, now that I am thinking about it, you are right, not a lot happened to sack jason. It was rapey and final chapter Jason that got beat up the most as alive Jasons. I may be coming around on a part 2 style stalking Jason as Roy. Maybe they could add blowing out tires cinematic instead of bare hands stopping the car. I think the car stop is the only real indestructible killing machine thing that happens in game. Yeah Jason takes a lot to kill and so very many knives to the throat, but adrenaline can make you walk through some of it, including gunshots. Ask 50cent about it.

The only question I would ask 50 Cent is how do you from millionaire to bankrupt...

I would leave the car stopping as it is. None of the living Jasons ever threw their fists onto the engine of a car to stop it. It's a necessary gameplay mechanic for Jasons unless they want to some kind of revamp for just one character.

8 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

The only question I would ask 50 Cent is how do you from millionaire to bankrupt...

I would leave the car stopping as it is. None of the living Jasons ever threw their fists onto the engine of a car to stop it. It's a necessary gameplay mechanic for Jasons unless they want to some kind of revamp for just one character.

In my opinion the only living Jason is part 2 Jason. That dude died when Chrissy hung him. His neck snapped like a twig in part 3. After that it was just a matter of how long it took him to revive. The axe thing took him about 24 hours to regenerate. 

I agree that stopping the car is necessary, but if Royson is no different than Jason then what is the point? Slap a new skin on 2 and be done with it. That just seems like a waste. What if anything is unique about Royson if we ignore his mortality?

1 hour ago, Definitelynotjason said:

In my opinion the only living Jason is part 2 Jason. That dude died when Chrissy hung him. His neck snapped like a twig in part 3. After that it was just a matter of how long it took him to revive. The axe thing took him about 24 hours to regenerate. 

I agree that stopping the car is necessary, but if Royson is no different than Jason then what is the point? Slap a new skin on 2 and be done with it. That just seems like a waste. What if anything is unique about Royson if we ignore his mortality?

To be honest, I'd accept Roy as a reskin just to get him in the game. If it was of Part 2, it would cut down on the abundance of Sackhead that I see.

Focusing on Roy's mortality doesn't make much sense to me. He dies in his final minute of the film but so does Jason in Part 4. Instead of focusing on the character's weakness, the focus needs to be on how he was during his "prime" in Part 5. Roy would recieve weaknesses and strengths, in line with what the other have, based on his performanic at his peak- not when he's dead, dying or that final 5 seconds when he's revealed to be Roy. I imagine a boost to Stalk and Destruction would be some of his strengths.

Again, on the subject of Roy's uniqueness- that's kind of the point: he's not unique from Jason, he is Jason (until the brief moment he's not). What makes him interesting or unique really is just the look of him. It's about the same for any other version of Jason. They have strengths and weaknesses based off their film's respective performance but they were chosen mostly because of aesthetics and fans' interest in their particular films.

Roy gets hit with a tractor and gets up. He's a beast.

On Part 3's hanging, I always liked the theory that his neck and skull were deformed so it wasn't possible to hang him.

7 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

To be honest, I'd accept Roy as a reskin just to get him in the game. If it was of Part 2, it would cut down on the abundance of Sackhead that I see.

Focusing on Roy's mortality doesn't make much sense to me. He dies in his final minute of the film but so does Jason in Part 4. Instead of focusing on the character's weakness, the focus needs to be on how he was during his "prime" in Part 5. Roy would recieve weaknesses and strengths, in line with what the other have, based on his performanic at his peak- not when he's dead, dying or that final 5 seconds when he's revealed to be Roy. I imagine a boost to Stalk and Destruction would be some of his strengths.

Again, on the subject of Roy's uniqueness- that's kind of the point: he's not unique from Jason, he is Jason (until the brief moment he's not). What makes him interesting or unique really is just the look of him. It's about the same for any other version of Jason. They have strengths and weaknesses based off their film's respective performance but they were chosen mostly because of aesthetics and fans' interest in their particular films.

Roy gets hit with a tractor and gets up. He's a beast.

On Part 3's hanging, I always liked the theory that his neck and skull were deformed so it wasn't possible to hang him.

While you and I may be talking past each other at this point on this issue, I do want to make one more point.

One of the things that makes each Jason unique is how the movies finish. Each Jason reacts differently to when they are finally challenged in the end. Part two is sneaky about it. He liked to surprise. He throws himself through the window. More of a surprise mfers, than an attempt to scare by throwing a friend through the window like his decendant Jasons. Of course, because of the fade to black that is all we see of him as far as how he is defeated. 2 is a stalker. Just ask Alice. This is also the only Jason with a motive beyond carnage until Freddy vs Jason or the remake.

3 is a creepy dude who is obsessed. He just has to get that girl. He's so creepy he reveals himself to the final girl just to freak her out. Not something Jasons do in the other movies.

4 is angry. Really angry. He takes a lot more punishment than the previous ones, and because he isn't completely zombified we see him more angry for it. He's fighting back now, just as the final two are in this one. Trish and Tommy aren't just reacting and surviving, but rather, in their own ways taking the fight to Jason. Decisions are being made, choices, and we see this several times from Jason, and mostly he goes with the anger and who has bothered him the most. This is also the most "talkative" Jason.

Royson is mysterious. We do not see him really until the end. Before that it is only Jason in Tommy's head we see, which is clearly not Royson. What makes this one different is the mysteriousness. Who is it? Is it Jason back from the dead? Is it Tommy? Is it Vic? Is it that ambulance driver who keeps stealing screen time? The unmasking is the point to the movie, so I do not think we can throw away the last two minutes cavalierly. In this way I get why you say he is a great stalker, we are not really shown anything more than his hands until the end. He is kept out of our sight until the chase, or at least I think until Violet if I remember right. That is the first time we see more than forearm.

6 is almost an exploration Jason. He seems to be curious about things and his own strength. The cocking of the head all the time combined with the displays of super strength make it seem like this is the first time he is waking up to his own power.

7 is practically a ghost until the end when he becomes angry defiant guy. Before the showdown he is flitting all over the map, almost randomly. It helps to cement the feeling we have with Tina and her mental state.

I am going to stop here because we are going to get in to too much of me complaining about the movies and less of me describing my feeling about the Jasons. I think I made my point about the different Jasons, from a movie perspective anyway. How they acted in such a way as to tie us to the final survivor, and their feelings a bit more through the way they acted in the movie.

I know I am overthinking things and being defensive. It is almost like I am being overly p[pedantic in order to convince someone like my wife that these movies are something more than just mere titty and blood flicks. This is just a game based on them, and because of that reskinning Jason in a blue mask and making him a stalker is just fine. I guess we all get stuck in our own minds with our own biases sometimes. Royson deserves his place in the mythos, and in the game. And maybe we don't have to over think it.