TheHansonGoons

Old games to reminesce on

38 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2017 at 3:28 AM, RKSDooM said:

Yup, I remember both of those games.

My "no one remembers this" game is a PS1 game called TRAP GUNNER. It was super Anime styled and was a sort of grid based multiplayer game where you would shoot at and lay traps for the other player. Weird stuff.

I also really liked the old DECEPTION games, where you were the bad guy in the castle, leaving traps for the heroes coming to slay you.

The Deception games were so fun! This is where I learned I have a very evil side to me. Or maybe it was the first time I ripped a man's heart out as Kano in Mortal Kombat.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:59 PM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I got back into playing Soul Reaver. So fun. Also a big fan of Dino Crisis 1 and 2.

A friend and I were just talking about the Legacy of Main series. I always enjoyed the first one more. BLOOD something. DINO crisis is quite the throw back.

Food Fight for Atari 7800. Snoopy and the Red Baron. Robotron 2084, or whatever year it was.

Rock and Roll Racing for Gensis. Shinobi, Altered Beast, Splatterhouse. Once Sega CD came out it was Lethal E forces and Corpse Killer. Frigging Sewer Shark.

SNES was the beginning of my love for Rpgs, Mario RPG, secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy 3(6)

Most of my time on NES was spent on California Surf and Skate, Toobin', Skate or Die. I would try to play the Nightmare on Elm Street Game and original F13th, but those games were so awful. I just enjoyed the music and creepiness. That is why Castlevania series has always been a favorite.

6 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Most of my time on NES was spent on California Surf and Skate, Toobin', Skate or Die. I would try to play the Nightmare on Elm Street Game and original F13th, but those games were so awful. I just enjoyed the music and creepiness. That is why Castlevania series has always been a favorite.

I played a lot of games on the NES, as that was the first console that was actually mine. My brother is 5 years older than me, so I played his Atari a lot before I was able to save up enough money to get the Nintendo. Super Mario/Duckhunt was the only cartridge I had for over a year, although I did rent games when I had the money. I really got into the Zelda series, Castlevania series, Contra, TMNT, Mario 3, Battletoads, Double Dragon, Tecmo Super Bowl, Shinobi, and NInja Gaiden. I played and beat Friday the 13th and never touched it again. I rented A Nightmare On Elm Street, but I didn't like it, so I never bought it.

My dad didn't believe in buying video games (or he was a cheap ass haha), so the Nintendo was special to me because I busted my ass outside of school and my regular chores at home to find jobs mowing lawns, picking up trash, raking leaves, helping my handyman uncle fix and build things, etc... to buy that console and every game I had for it.

Somehow, the XBox that me and my son have now just doesn't seem to be near as cool to me.

TheHansonGoons likes this

Just saw a blast from the past in a game called Night Trap! I remember being your and watching the girl in her night gown in the bathroom while trying to trap the augs. Switching cameras to set off traps. What a fun and original game. I finished it several times but always liked playing through. I remember one hard ass part where you had to switch cameras quickly and all chaos was breaking loose.

My first system was the Atari 2600. I lived with my grandparents until I was about, I dunno, 8 or so - and they had an Atari with, like, 50 games.

Weirdly, they had the, rather rare, HALLOWEEN and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE games in that collection, so even before FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI made me into the horror junkie I remain today, I had some passing familiarity with these franchises. The Chainsaw game was especially amusing, as you would just scroll to the right, avoiding hay bales and cow skulls while precisely lining up your 4 pixel chainsaw to kill your victims (who knew the chainsaw was such a precision instrument?). Once you ran out of gas, the game would cut to this "cinematic" of one of your victims running up and kicking you in the ass, sending Leatherface sailing across the screen.

HALLOWEEN I mostly remember for it's crude depiction of both the main HALLOWEEN theme and of child murder.

I also played a lot of YAR'S REVENGE, this utterly surreal game where... uh... Actually, just look it up. I'm not sure how to describe what's happening in that game.

There was also the mind-numbingly difficult RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK game, the weirdo versions of PAC-MAN and DONKEY KONG that the Atari got, the game ADVENTURE where you ran around as a single pixel, fighting suspiciously seahorsey-looking dragons with a suspiciously direction-arrow-looking sword.

The first game I ever played for the NES, when I got one, was actually PRO WRESTLING, and not SUPER MARIO BROS./DUCK HUNT like 90% of humanity. This is because my (or more precisely, my dad's) purchase of the NES actually predated that offer, and just came with THE OFFICIAL NINTENDO PLAYER'S GUIDE instead. Fortunately, because my Dad worked at a retail store, when that system came along, he was able to trade in my system (as a "return"), pay the difference and get me that one instead (even more fortunately, no one noticed when I held onto my OFFICIAL NINTENDO PLAYER'S GUIDE :P).

The original Nintendo system was a goddamn treasure trove of memories for me. Games like MANIAC MANSION, DRAGON WARRIOR, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, SUPER MARIO BROS. 3, GODZILLA: MONSTER OF MONSTERS, FRIDAY THE 13TH... I could seriously go on and on about that system.

And maybe I will... but not today :lol:

DamonD7 likes this

6 hours ago, RKSDooM said:

My first system was the Atari 2600. I lived with my grandparents until I was about, I dunno, 8 or so - and they had an Atari with, like, 50 games.

Weirdly, they had the, rather rare, HALLOWEEN and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE games in that collection, so even before FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI made me into the horror junkie I remain today, I had some passing familiarity with these franchises. The Chainsaw game was especially amusing, as you would just scroll to the right, avoiding hay bales and cow skulls while precisely lining up your 4 pixel chainsaw to kill your victims (who knew the chainsaw was such a precision instrument?). Once you ran out of gas, the game would cut to this "cinematic" of one of your victims running up and kicking you in the ass, sending Leatherface sailing across the screen.

HALLOWEEN I mostly remember for it's crude depiction of both the main HALLOWEEN theme and of child murder.

I also played a lot of YAR'S REVENGE, this utterly surreal game where... uh... Actually, just look it up. I'm not sure how to describe what's happening in that game.

There was also the mind-numbingly difficult RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK game, the weirdo versions of PAC-MAN and DONKEY KONG that the Atari got, the game ADVENTURE where you ran around as a single pixel, fighting suspiciously seahorsey-looking dragons with a suspiciously direction-arrow-looking sword.

The first game I ever played for the NES, when I got one, was actually PRO WRESTLING, and not SUPER MARIO BROS./DUCK HUNT like 90% of humanity. This is because my (or more precisely, my dad's) purchase of the NES actually predated that offer, and just came with THE OFFICIAL NINTENDO PLAYER'S GUIDE instead. Fortunately, because my Dad worked at a retail store, when that system came along, he was able to trade in my system (as a "return"), pay the difference and get me that one instead (even more fortunately, no one noticed when I held onto my OFFICIAL NINTENDO PLAYER'S GUIDE :P).

The original Nintendo system was a goddamn treasure trove of memories for me. Games like MANIAC MANSION, DRAGON WARRIOR, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, SUPER MARIO BROS. 3, GODZILLA: MONSTER OF MONSTERS, FRIDAY THE 13TH... I could seriously go on and on about that system.

And maybe I will... but not today :lol:

My brother had the 2600. I played the hell out of Yar's Revenge! As I mentioned before, Yar's Revenge was my second favorite Atari game, behind The Empire Strikes Back.  I also played Halloween, Texas Chainsaw, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man, Adventure, and Missile Command. I never did play Raiders of the Lost Ark, although I did bank quite a few hours on E.T.

I wish I could have gotten a copy of that Nintendo Player's Guide.

RKSDooM likes this

My first system was my ZX Spectrum 128k, which was bought for me by my parents in 1986.

Here in the UK, the 8-bit home computers (Spectrum, Amstrad, Commadore) led a huge boom wave of homegrown software. Much of it was your literal programmed-in-my-bedroom efforts, or by small groups of people. Very homebrew. There was a vast amount of games due to this - I ended up with over 500 games on my Spectrum, all said and done - and they'd retail for as little at £1.99. All cassette tapes at first, though floppy disc formats came in right at the end (more of a 16-bit Amiga/Atari ST kind of thing).

My Speccy came with The Neverending Story (text adventure based on the film) and Daley Thompson's Super Test (one of a few games licensed by the double gold winning decathlete), which was a collection of mini-games based on various sports. First game I ever bought was Roboto, by Bug-Byte Software, a platformer requiring pin-point accuracy that I didn't have then and probably never had! After that came games like The Pyramid (flip-screen shooter), Molecule Man (3D isometric puzzler), Transformers (side-scrolling shooter based on the franchise) and so on.

There were way, way too many games for me to do justice to and they'd just be a bunch of names to a lot of people. I'd need a refresher on some myself.
But they were my childhood and, in my rather scatty memory, I have a lot locked away in there. If I ever felt the burning desire to beat Treasure Island Dizzy again one day, that information is safe and sound :P

On 8/10/2017 at 9:01 AM, DamonD7 said:

It's funny what triggers your memory - I've now got an LP of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis cued up ready in my YouTube history and I'll try to watch that when I can (about two and a half hours, start to finish) for the nostalgia :)

This has now evolved, as these things do sometimes with me, into me deciding to re-watch all the Indy films this week and include Fate of Atlantis as well :P
Just making more work for myself!

NthnButAGoodTime and RKSDooM like this

18 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Just saw a blast from the past in a game called Night Trap! I remember being your and watching the girl in her night gown in the bathroom while trying to trap the augs. Switching cameras to set off traps. What a fun and original game. I finished it several times but always liked playing through. I remember one hard ass part where you had to switch cameras quickly and all chaos was breaking loose.

I assume you're aware that Night Trap is a day away from reissue.

TheHansonGoons likes this

3 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I assume you're aware that Night Trap is a day away from reissue.

Actually I was not! Will be reading about that today 

NthnButAGoodTime likes this

56 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

You don't know how excited I am that I got to break the news to you!

http://www.screamingvillains.com

Thanka for the link, although my girlfriend is going to be annoyed when I walk around singing that song all day, "Night Trap!"

On 8/13/2017 at 11:33 PM, Rexfellis said:

My brother had the 2600. I played the hell out of Yar's Revenge! As I mentioned before, Yar's Revenge was my second favorite Atari game, behind The Empire Strikes Back.  I also played Halloween, Texas Chainsaw, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man, Adventure, and Missile Command. I never did play Raiders of the Lost Ark, although I did bank quite a few hours on E.T.

I wish I could have gotten a copy of that Nintendo Player's Guide.

I totally forgot about THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK on the 2600! I played that a ton - I can still remember my thumb cramping up from tapping the button so many times to fire...

In the pre-internet days that OFFICIAL NINTENDO PLAYER'S GUIDE was gold. I would never have been able to play through THE GOONIES II without it, find all the secrets in the original SUPER MARIO BROS.

On 8/14/2017 at 2:21 AM, DamonD7 said:

My first system was my ZX Spectrum 128k, which was bought for me by my parents in 1986.

Here in the UK, the 8-bit home computers (Spectrum, Amstrad, Commadore) led a huge boom wave of homegrown software. Much of it was your literal programmed-in-my-bedroom efforts, or by small groups of people. Very homebrew. There was a vast amount of games due to this - I ended up with over 500 games on my Spectrum, all said and done - and they'd retail for as little at £1.99. All cassette tapes at first, though floppy disc formats came in right at the end (more of a 16-bit Amiga/Atari ST kind of thing).

My Speccy came with The Neverending Story (text adventure based on the film) and Daley Thompson's Super Test (one of a few games licensed by the double gold winning decathlete), which was a collection of mini-games based on various sports. First game I ever bought was Roboto, by Bug-Byte Software, a platformer requiring pin-point accuracy that I didn't have then and probably never had! After that came games like The Pyramid (flip-screen shooter), Molecule Man (3D isometric puzzler), Transformers (side-scrolling shooter based on the franchise) and so on.

There were way, way too many games for me to do justice to and they'd just be a bunch of names to a lot of people. I'd need a refresher on some myself.
But they were my childhood and, in my rather scatty memory, I have a lot locked away in there. If I ever felt the burning desire to beat Treasure Island Dizzy again one day, that information is safe and sound :P

This has now evolved, as these things do sometimes with me, into me deciding to re-watch all the Indy films this week and include Fate of Atlantis as well :P
Just making more work for myself!

HA! Cassette based games and text adventures - truly the ground floor of gaming (except, perhaps, for that PONG system). My grandpa had a computer of some sort that played cassette games - I distinctly remember him having a helicopter game that I think was CHOPLIFTER, but I'm not sure. The Atari was around at that point, and I was, like, 5 years old, so I didn't mess with it much.

What I did play the hell out of were text games though. I played HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY (actually written by Douglas Adams!) and THE LURKING HORROR and - heh - LEATHER GODDESSES OF PHOBOS (that one came with a scratch and sniff card).

I never played FATE OF ATLANTIS, but I always wanted to. It's something I still intend to get around to eventually.

DamonD7 likes this

Heard of two of those but I'm unfamiliar with The Lurking Horror. What was that one about?

I watched the Fate of Atlantis LP last night, pretty good. I can see why some felt it would've made a good actual film, though it'd need a bunch of revisions to do so. Your usual videogame-to-film stuff, to cut down on the puzzle solving and backtracking, boost the action quotient and Indy-and-romantic-partner dialogue, that kinda thing. Could picture that.

There was actually an 8-bit Fate of Atlantis game, but a much different 3D isometric experience, with a handful of puzzles and levels, no dialogue or path choices or anything like that, very different. Not much cop either (and really slow frame rate as well, which was a chore) though I remember beating it as a kid.

There was a fan HD remake of Fate of Atlantis being worked on, in some capacity I think it still is, but unsurprisingly eventually Lucasfilm noticed earlier this year and nixed it. I really appreciate fan works, but the big companies are almost always going to come down on those things to protect their copyrights, sad but understandable.

It did remind me of another game I used to play called Where Time Stood Still, which was again 3D isometric with you lead four people around trying to escape from a hidden valley after a plane crash. Very much Land That Time Forgot / People The Time Forgot inspired with dinosaurs, swamps, pygmies and rock falls!

But like I've said, man, I can bang on about this kind of stuff for hours...days...if you let me :P

Zombies ate my Neighbors is one of them. Blaster Master.....never conquered that one! Circus Atari the one that made you go splat. Conker Bad Fur Day one of the hidden gems.