TheHansonGoons

Old games to reminesce on

40 posts in this topic

Does anyone remember thefighting game for PS called Thrill Kill? Never fully made it to market, but beta versions had leaked on the internet back in the day. I had a burnt copy on my old missed PlayStation. When the game actually hit stores, it was the Wu Tang Clan fighting game and it had been times down. Although I loved that Wu Tang Clan fighting game and it's fatalities.

I also loved Beavis and Butthead for SNES. After all, the objective was to see none other than GWAR!!

Yup, I remember both of those games.

My "no one remembers this" game is a PS1 game called TRAP GUNNER. It was super Anime styled and was a sort of grid based multiplayer game where you would shoot at and lay traps for the other player. Weird stuff.

I also really liked the old DECEPTION games, where you were the bad guy in the castle, leaving traps for the heroes coming to slay you.

I used to love all of Julian Gollop's games on my Spectrum. These days, he's probably best known as the developer of the original X-COM series.

He was the king of turn based tactical shooters and magical duels back then. Chaos, Lords of Chaos, Laser Squad and Rebelstar Raiders I & II ate up many many hours and days of my gaming life. It's been nice to see the success of the X-COM reboots, and that they still credit him.

Maniac Mansion on NES. A must play if you can stand the old graphics.

1 hour ago, Willie said:

Maniac Mansion on NES. A must play if you can stand the old graphics.

There was a Christmas one year, where I got, like, 9 NES games.

One of them was MANIAC MANSION, and for months, that was the only one I played. 

2lCkilEsElCU0pUbUemlKY5uw6CoAEqT-bPzniwS

1 person likes this

For me it was on the PS3 it's skate 3 such a funny 

Warpath Jurassic Park for the PS1. That is a really fun game.

Crash bandicoot remake for ps4 good to play them games again even though it causes me some serious rage sometimes

My favorite "old school" game is The Legend of Dragoon for PS1.  I still try to replay it at least once a year.  And a close second in my heart is Final Fantasy 8. But one game that brought back the real "nostalgia" was when I bought the megaman legacy pack, which was the original 1-6 for the old NES.

43 minutes ago, lazerus_86 said:

My favorite "old school" game is The Legend of Dragoon for PS1.  I still try to replay it at least once a year.  And a close second in my heart is Final Fantasy 8. But one game that brought back the real "nostalgia" was when I bought the megaman legacy pack, which was the original 1-6 for the old NES.

Ive been replaying final fantasy 8 lately on steam always been one of my favourites in the final fantasy series

Revenge of shinobi from Mega Drive and Golden Axe: The Duel from Segway Saturn :). My two favourite games.

Jaws for NES was way better than it ever got credit for being.

Flashback for Sega Genesis was gorgeous for it's time.

The core game for the original Shadow Warrior for PC was intensely racist, but the mod community did beautiful things with it.

A demo I played that showed potential was R.A.D: Robot Alchemic Drive for PS2. It had a really unique control style at the time, but I never found a copy of the full game while it was on the market.

1 person likes this

Loved Yo! Noid for the NES. That pizza mini game was my first real exposure to strategy. 

Peasants Quest on the old HomestarRunner flash site was kind of awesome for not really being a game. "Graphical text adventure of rather large proportions". 

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

This could very well be true, I don't remember it THAT well... but I remember it well enough to know it wasn't nearly as awesome as JAWS: UNLEASHED on the original XBOX was!

q75juIFZRcHQyTMcI0MgnQ3pP8hqaWXwdRFnI9cw

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RKSDooM said:

This could very well be true, I don't remember it THAT well... but I remember it well enough to know it wasn't nearly as awesome as JAWS: UNLEASHED on the original XBOX was!

q75juIFZRcHQyTMcI0MgnQ3pP8hqaWXwdRFnI9cw

Oh YES! I LOVED Grand Theft Shark: Amityville!

It easily informed how a game centered around a lone killer, wandering around in his element could be done well.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Flashback for Sega Genesis was gorgeous for it's time.

The core game for the original Shadow Warrior for PC was intensely racist, but the mod community did beautiful things with it.

A demo I played that showed potential was R.A.D: Robot Alchemic Drive for PS2. It had a really unique control style at the time, but I never found a copy of the full game while it was on the market.

Dude, Flashback is one of my all timers!

For me, I've always loved:

Cybernator

DKC

Fester's Quest (What? Why are you looking at me like that?)

Blaster Master

Spy vs Spy (similar to the aforementioned Trap Gunner)

3 people like this

20 hours ago, Dogmatic said:

Dude, Flashback is one of my all timers!

For me, I've always loved:

Cybernator

DKC

Fester's Quest (What? Why are you looking at me like that?)

Blaster Master

Spy vs Spy (similar to the aforementioned Trap Gunner)

Played the hell out of FLASHBACK and OUT OF THIS WORLD on the SNES, when I was a youngling.

Also, to my shame played the HELL out of FESTER'S QUEST. Like, I never beat it, but I did get very close to the end.

BLASTER MASTER I also played a ton of (I assume that the walking around bits had the same engine as FESTER'S QUEST? They certainly looked and felt the same).

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY I played and beat (I can still remember Nintendo sending out those VHS tapes to everyone who subscribed to Nintendo Power, teasing DKC... and with the hidden teaser for KILLER INSTINCT at the very end of the credits).

SPY VS. SPY I played a few times, but not as much as the others I've mentioned.

The first game that I reminisce on a bit now it's been 20 years since I first beat the game was Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amon Ra. It's the only sequel to the Laura Bow series from Sierra On-Line. They're murder mysteries set during the 1920's. The Dagger of Amon Ra follows Laura as she investigates an artifact burglary at a museum where murders start to happen. Sierra games were notorious for punishing the players with dumb deaths and bad endings if you didn't do everything right (You needed a hint book in those days, now obsolete by the internet). The murder scenes scared me as a kid, the logistics to carry them out were a weird combination of Friday the 13th and Final Destination. In scenes like murder scenes (it has the creepiest investigation music) and conversation, it's a black background which from I learned was based off an artist named Leyendecker. (It was also the name of the museum as well). It was around this time when I started into the Friday the 13th series.

The next game was Blood from Monolith. It's essentially playing as a resurrected gunslinger type guy named Caleb who goes after the cult who killed him and his friends called the Cabal. The weaponry was a mix of 1920's weaponry like Tommy Guns and dynamite, flare guns, anachronistic weapons like Napalm Cannon and Tesla Guns, Voodoo Dolls and a skull on a stick that drains enemy's lives. The timeline has the first Blood set in 1928. There are a lot of easter eggs to various films (This came out in 1997). It's a very dark game in terms of style, but Caleb tends to say morbid jokes from time to time and quote one liners from movies. The sequel was not as good as they put in more science fiction and less horror and set it far into the future. Here's hoping Bethesda might pick up the IP for this, they did well with Doom and Wolfenstein.

I'll always fondly remember a game by the name of ToeJam and Earl  which I stumbled onto quite accidentally way back when but my Brother and I played the hell out of that game. Randomly generated levels, interesting enemies and a good bit of challenge we did manage to beat it finally though. I still have my original copy of the game as well. Not something I can say about the majority of my 16 Bit collection

Another favorite will always be the Splatterhouse series. All of them are gory, good old fashioned horror  filled fun. And they pay homage to a lot of old horror movies. Not the least of them being the player character who was based on our hockey masked knight of purity. The 2010 reboot got a lot of undue hate but it stayed true to the originals with the added benefit of having 1-3 available to play on the disc so you basically had the entire collection (save the NES one) there for your gory enjoyment. I still wish it had done better just because we never really got closure for that particular game even though Namco had an add on that was supposed to wrap it up ready for release when they quietly let it disappear back into the veil.

I'll try to name some that haven't been named yet, off the top of my head. I've been a gamer since I was 6 years old and started playing my brother's Atari 2600. I'll also avoid obvious choices such as Super Mario Bros., Contra, Halo, Warcraft, etc... Just a note, most of these games are probably older than a lot of the members on this board. 

E.T.- Despite what many people try to claim, this game did not kill Atari. Atari was dead well before it was released. The suits gave Howard Scott Warshaw just 5 weeks to code the entire game! It was amazing that he got any kind of finished product. This is the man that made Yar's Revenge, my second favorite Atari game. (Behind Empire Strikes Back). I had fun playing E.T. It wasn't Warshaw's fault that most kids were too stupid to figure it out.

NOX- PC game put out in 2000 by Westwood Studios. It was a fantasy role-playing game, complete with magic, monsters, and different towns and dungeons to visit. I spent hours and hours playing that game. Actually, I have a copy of it on my laptop now. Unfortunately, I have to go through a third party server to play it, even though it is a single player game. I've finished the game with all of the characters several times. I still play it from time to time.

Galaga- Whether it was in the arcade, on the Gameboy, the Xbox, the 3DS, Steam, or that port that I have on the laptop, I LOVE this game! I guarantee I spent about $5 grand in quarters on this game at the local arcade when i was a kid. haha

The Secret of Monkey Island- Another game that I spent waaaay too much time playing. Good ol' piratey fun!

Silent Hill- My Playstation 1 was on it's last legs when I got this game. I never actually finished it, but it was an extremely creepy game. I did download SIlent Hill: Downpour for my XboxOne, and it was pretty fun. Too bad Silent Hills was cancelled.

Tecmo Super Bowl- . Ahh, the good old days of sitting on a couch talking shit to your buddy while racking up 7 rouchdowns with Bo Jackson! haha This was a game that my friends and I played...a lot.

Super Mario Kart- Sorry, had to throw one Mario game in here. To this day, Mario is one of my favorite gaming characters. My 6-year old is a huge fan too. (I like to think I had a little something to do with that.) I am not a fan of modern Nintendo, they just seem to keep making the dumbest goddamned decisions over and over! But, hey, I did get my NES Classic! I just have really fond memories of playing this game with friends. It was about the same time we all discovered drinking, haha. 

Aside from the ones listed above, I used to play a ton of horror games. Phantasmagoria, Resident Evil, Alien: Isolation, System Shock, etc... Unfortunately, real life has really cut into my gaming time over the last decade. But, I still try to find time to game as often as possible. If I really need a fix, I can always play Minecraft with the kiddo! ?

How old do I feel?

Choplifter on the Commodore 64. It was so much better than the bouncing ball game you had to spend 6 hours coding yourself.

Montezuma's Revenge. I think this might be considered racist today.

The pizza place near where I lived when I was 10 had a sit down pac man or ms. pac man, I don;t remember which. Anyway, it was a table you sat at, ate pizza, drank coke and spent your life savings at.

3 hours ago, Definitelynotjason said:

How old do I feel?

Choplifter on the Commodore 64. It was so much better than the bouncing ball game you had to spend 6 hours coding yourself.

Montezuma's Revenge. I think this might be considered racist today.

The pizza place near where I lived when I was 10 had a sit down pac man or ms. pac man, I don;t remember which. Anyway, it was a table you sat at, ate pizza, drank coke and spent your life savings at.

I understand man. Did you ever play Wizard of Wor on the C64? I played that and Pitfall a lot. I also coded a game on there. You were a smiley face falling down through a sea of triangles. You had to dodge the triangles. If you hit one, you turned into a frowny face. That damn game took me an entire Friday evening, night, early morning to code. haha

Some memories on mentioned games:

I really enjoyed Flashback, hired it out from the local video store to beat it twice. That level of animation was really impressive back then. Never played Another World, though.

Spy vs Spy was a lot of fun with the traps, I remember I played all three. The first was set in an airport, the second was in a jungle and the third in the Artic. The first was the best, in part because the sequels ran at a really low speed for some reason.

Toejam and Earl, around the same time as flashback, was hired out and enjoyed from the local video game. My sister's boyfriend at the time had a Mega Drive (Genesis), I couldn't afford one myself then, so that's how I got into console gaming after my ZX Spectrum days. TJ&E1 tends to be the most fondly remembered, but I enjoyed TJ&E2's side scrolling action and the amount of secret locations and hidden items you could find.

The Secret of Monkey Island series, well, I never had a 16-bit computer like the Amiga or Atari ST so they were something unobtainable to me but always spoken of glowingly. I never played then, but, for that rare time when I might get some time free for it, I have the HD ports of them downloaded and ready for my Xbone to try sometime.

I love Silent Hill! Played almost all of them. 1 and 2 I dig particularly, but always liked 3, most of 4, Shattered Memories was a clever reboot style and I appreciate a lot of what Downpour does. Given Konami's situation it's sad to think of how things look for the series, but I'll always have that original attachment. 1 & 2 are particular landmarks in their genre, I feel, and the first games to really impress on me how to create a mood of oppressive, choking fear.

And while I never played Choplifter, there was a very similar clone game on the Spectrum called Cyclone which I used to play a lot. Flying around between islands, rescuing people while battling against strong winds and the eponymous cyclone itself.

It's funny what triggers your memory - I've now got an LP of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis cued up ready in my YouTube history and I'll try to watch that when I can (about two and a half hours, start to finish) for the nostalgia :)

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

Some memories on mentioned games:

I really enjoyed Flashback, hired it out from the local video store to beat it twice. That level of animation was really impressive back then. Never played Another World, though.

Spy vs Spy was a lot of fun with the traps, I remember I played all three. The first was set in an airport, the second was in a jungle and the third in the Artic. The first was the best, in part because the sequels ran at a really low speed for some reason.

Toejam and Earl, around the same time as flashback, was hired out and enjoyed from the local video game. My sister's boyfriend at the time had a Mega Drive (Genesis), I couldn't afford one myself then, so that's how I got into console gaming after my ZX Spectrum days. TJ&E1 tends to be the most fondly remembered, but I enjoyed TJ&E2's side scrolling action and the amount of secret locations and hidden items you could find.

The Secret of Monkey Island series, well, I never had a 16-bit computer like the Amiga or Atari ST so they were something unobtainable to me but always spoken of glowingly. I never played then, but, for that rare time when I might get some time free for it, I have the HD ports of them downloaded and ready for my Xbone to try sometime.

I love Silent Hill! Played almost all of them. 1 and 2 I dig particularly, but always liked 3, most of 4, Shattered Memories was a clever reboot style and I appreciate a lot of what Downpour does. Given Konami's situation it's sad to think of how things look for the series, but I'll always have that original attachment. 1 & 2 are particular landmarks in their genre, I feel, and the first games to really impress on me how to create a mood of oppressive, choking fear.

And while I never played Choplifter, there was a very similar clone game on the Spectrum called Cyclone which I used to play a lot. Flying around between islands, rescuing people while battling against strong winds and the eponymous cyclone itself.

It's funny what triggers your memory - I've now got an LP of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis cued up ready in my YouTube history and I'll try to watch that when I can (about two and a half hours, start to finish) for the nostalgia :)

I wish I could have finished the first Silent Hill. But, when my PlayStation died, I switched to XBox because of Halo. I did have fun with Downpour though.

You can get The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Special Edition bundle on Steam. I don't think the game is worth $10, and I really don't see the Bundle being worth $20. If they every drop the price point, I may get it. But, I have better things to spend my money on than nostalgia. ;)