Motoko

Player population by system?

46 posts in this topic

How many people play this and what is the breakdown between PS4/PC etc.

Any ideas?

I can see 80-90 on in the clubs I'm with at any given time. I would suspect there are several times that number not visible on Xbox.

There's a measly 3k on Steam atm. Can't imagine consoles versions are much higher but they may be. It was the highest selling game on the PS4 market in June I believe, so there are probably many more console players.

On consoles I'd guess there's about 5-8k players. By the end of 2017 though, I won't be surprised if PC only has a few hundred players and consoles only have 1-3k players.

I never wait to find a match on xbox even with all the persistent issues an no patch. 

The LFG thread is only slow at dismal times like 4-6 am. Other then that as long as im not dashboarding or having matches crash i have no issues getting games going.

44 minutes ago, B0bZomb1e said:

I never wait to find a match on xbox even with all the persistent issues an no patch. 

The LFG thread is only slow at dismal times like 4-6 am. Other then that as long as im not dashboarding or having matches crash i have no issues getting games going.

Same. Getting a match is not hard at all on Xbox even with the issues. I can't give any hard numbers, but I'd estimate there are 300ish players on at any given time of day.

I haven't found a way to see how many are playing on consoles.

According to Steam Charts, right now there are about 2,500 people playing Friday the 13th.

In comparison, there's a bit of over 9,000 people playing Dead by Daylight right now.

To me, that's crazy. We're talking about Friday the 13th and it's being beat by an older game with generic killers and survivors (minus L4D Bill and the Halloween DLC). I'm not ready to see this game die. If it dies faster than the amount of time I spent waiting for it I'll be a sad panda. 

19 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

According to Steam Charts, right now there are about 2,500 people playing Friday the 13th.

In comparison, there's a bit of over 9,000 people playing Dead by Daylight right now.

To me, that's crazy. We're talking about Friday the 13th and it's being beat by an older game with generic killers and survivors (minus L4D Bill and the Halloween DLC). I'm not ready to see this game die. If it dies faster than the amount of time I spent waiting for it I'll be a sad panda. 

F13 lacks depth. For one, it's not a very competitive game, and very basic which means player will lose interest easily over time.

Not sure how F13 pans out for the future if Gun Media does not add more depth to the game, customization lobby options, and game modes. That's also not to include that there isn't any single player content at all either.

Pamela Voorhees likes this

Just now, REO said:

F13 lacks depth. For one, it's not a very competitive game, and very basic which means player will lose interest easily over time.

Not sure how F13 pans out for the future if Gun Media does not add more depth to the game, customization lobby options, and game modes. That's also not to include that there isn't any single player content at all either.

I agree. One game mode, three maps, 1000 drawers.

Quinn FTW and thatdudescott like this

23 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Over 9000!!! 😨

Was that an accidental reference?  😮

41 minutes ago, REO said:

I don't think depth has anything to with it since DbD has zero depth of it's own. I think it really boils down to that DbD allows the survivors to be in control more than F13. In F13 you can die instantly while in DbD you have to be hooked 3 times before you can die and as long as your team just rushes the hook you'll be off in no time. My point is that I think people don't want a challenge in their games anymore and all they want is easy wins every game and that's what DbD is providing. You can call it competitive if you want, but I disagree as that would mean both sides are on level ground and that isn't the case. One gives the killer the power as it should be in a horror game while the other gives all the power to survivors and makes the killer a joke.

IamNoc and BLOODYFISHTACO like this

5 hours ago, DEATH said:

I don't think depth has anything to with it since DbD has zero depth of it's own. I think it really boils down to that DbD allows the survivors to be in control more than F13. In F13 you can die instantly while in DbD you have to be hooked 3 times before you can die and as long as your team just rushes the hook you'll be off in no time. My point is that I think people don't want a challenge in their games anymore and all they want is easy wins every game and that's what DbD is providing. You can call it competitive if you want, but I disagree as that would mean both sides are on level ground and that isn't the case. One gives the killer the power as it should be in a horror game while the other gives all the power to survivors and makes the killer a joke.

Except F13 isn't "challenging" as counselor's when you play with a party of players that know what they're doing. The only time Jason kills everyone is when you do random public search matches and half of the team has no mics, doesn't coordinate properly, or is full of brand new players to map layouts and the game in general.

Jason isn't even that great in his own game where he's supposed to be a near-unstoppable supernatural serial killer. I don't know where people get the idea that Jason in F13 is so blatantly overpowered. He's jukeable, abuseable by groups, he can't pressure objectives simultaneously, and first aid perk + double healing eats up traps like nothing. The balance with Jason and counselor's is pretty good, especially for a game that hasn't had any big balancing patches hit. But if anything, the scale is slightly on the counselor's side, not Jason's.

The problem with F13 is that there is very little depth to the game (on both sides) and Jason is heavily overrated and up-played by players who lone wolf queue. Hopefully the devs understand this, because the second they mistakenly nerf and tone down Jason is the minute the game will become a joke and many players (including myself) will leave for good.

F13 is dying.  

There isn't much to offer in terms of keeping the interest of its player base.  Steam players currently range from 2.2k-3.3k on average as of last week.  Two weeks prior it was a lot higher and so on and so on with previous.  With that being said it's very clear that the player base is dying (based on numbers).  

Xbox doesn't count since its broken and most can't play a full game without crashing.  I would guess PS4 numbers are very close to Steam numbers as well.

F13 was crazy fun the first 5 weeks, but after that it's just another desktop icon.

4 hours ago, Colorboy said:

Xbox doesn't count since its broken and most can't play a full game without crashing.  I would guess PS4 numbers are very close to Steam numbers as well.

I disagree. It counts the most since it shows the people who are dedicated to playing despite the issues. Those are the people that keep a game alive over time. The others are largely periphery numbers.

If you guess that most people play roughly 2-3 hours at a time (given how long it takes to get lobbies full or because of crashes, etc.) and there are typically 300ish people on at all times. You could speculate that translates into roughly 2400 players daily. It is consistent with other platforms. The numbers you see across the various platforms really are showing you the most dedicated players.

11 hours ago, REO said:

It needs more maps yes. They need to overhaul the perks/leveling system a bit. It is not meant to be a competitive game as per the devs. It is is pretty basic, though DbD doesn't particularly have much depth either. What it has is the advantage of time on the market to push updates and whatnot (it has DLC to boost it up). So comparing it (in regards to depth) to a game that has been out two months isn't even a fair comparison.

5 hours ago, REO said:

Jason isn't even that great in his own game where he's supposed to be a near-unstoppable supernatural serial killer. I don't know where people get the idea that Jason in F13 is so blatantly overpowered. He's jukeable, abuseable by groups, he can't pressure objectives simultaneously, and first aid perk + double healing eats up traps like nothing. The balance with Jason and counselor's is pretty good, especially for a game that hasn't had any big balancing patches hit. But if anything, the scale is slightly on the counselor's side, not Jason's.

This is very true.

1 hour ago, Alkavian said:

I disagree. It counts the most since it shows the people who are dedicated to playing despite the issues. Those are the people that keep a game alive over time. The others are largely periphery numbers.

If you guess that most people play roughly 2-3 hours at a time (given how long it takes to get lobbies full or because of crashes, etc.) and there are typically 300ish people on at all times. You could speculate that translates into roughly 2400 players daily. It is consistent with other platforms. The numbers you see across the various platforms really are showing you the most dedicated players.

It needs more maps yes. They need to overhaul the perks/leveling system a bit. It is not meant to be a competitive game as per the devs. It is is pretty basic, though DbD doesn't particularly have much depth either. What it has is the advantage of time on the market to push updates and whatnot (it has DLC to boost it up). So comparing it (in regards to depth) to a game that has been out two months isn't even a fair comparison.

This is very true.

In 2-3 weeks the number will be lower.  Dedication can only last so long especially for a game that is severely lacking content.  

In regards to DbD these are quite different.  DbD churned out updates like crazy at launch and the dedication by the dev team was felt.  Gun has done the bare minimum it seems.

3 minutes ago, Colorboy said:

In 2-3 weeks the number will be lower.  Dedication can only last so long especially for a game that is severely lacking content.  

In regards to DbD these are quite different.  DbD churned out updates like crazy at launch and the dedication by the dev team was felt.  Gun has done the bare minimum it seems.

Oh please. DbD devs are sometimes laughable too. They've gotten a lot better but things were questionable at the beginning. It took them a little over a month to introduce the first new content with the Nurse chapter, and at least it was free so that's what's up.

But then the progress loss bug was a huge failure on their part. Me and several others lost hundreds of hours of progress and our Legacy Prestige outfits because they thought it was a good idea to save our profile to our local drive, rather than a server like every single online game ever made. And then it took them over 2 months to restore that progress, and still haven't restored Legacy. They also haven't fixed the FOV bug for killers yet nor have they fixed the HUNG error several users get.

I'll give them credit for being very interactive with the community though, and they've been making good changes in recent times as well, especially the new Victory Cube system.

They've fucked up a few times, but Gun could definitely learn a thing or two from BHVR in the ways of communication and PR.

14 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

It's insane,but it shows that sometimes the license doesn't pay off...

5 hours ago, thatdudescott said:

It's insane,but it shows that sometimes the license doesn't pay off...

I think the fact the game isn't dead yet shows the license is paying off. That won't last forever. It buys GUN some breathing room to get their shit together and starting establishing a PR mechanism that is functional and inclusive. I hope they take advantage of it get on the ball.

As for Illfonic, I don't envy the whippings they must be taking behind the scenes, but they are the team on which our hopes hinge. Like it or not.

With the game being #2 in May then #1 in June on the PlayStation store I would say it's most popular on that Platform.

On 7/23/2017 at 1:54 PM, weirdkid5 said:

Oh please. DbD devs are sometimes laughable too. They've gotten a lot better but things were questionable at the beginning. It took them a little over a month to introduce the first new content with the Nurse chapter, and at least it was free so that's what's up.

But then the progress loss bug was a huge failure on their part. Me and several others lost hundreds of hours of progress and our Legacy Prestige outfits because they thought it was a good idea to save our profile to our local drive, rather than a server like every single online game ever made. And then it took them over 2 months to restore that progress, and still haven't restored Legacy. They also haven't fixed the FOV bug for killers yet nor have they fixed the HUNG error several users get.

I'll give them credit for being very interactive with the community though, and they've been making good changes in recent times as well, especially the new Victory Cube system.

They've fucked up a few times, but Gun could definitely learn a thing or two from BHVR in the ways of communication and PR.

Well at least they are churning out updates and the game is still fun and interesting.  They just released a new killer  so it's been fun.  The game itself still has a lot of life left.

From Steam Charts:

Avg. Players   Gain       %.     
Last 30 Days    3,010.6 -2,556.2 -45.92% 5,083
June 2017    5,566.8 +171.7 +3.18% 10,640
May 2017     5,395.1 +5,394.0 +501768.81%

The last column is 'peak players'.

6 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

From Steam Charts:

Avg. Players   Gain       %.     
Last 30 Days    3,010.6 -2,556.2 -45.92% 5,083
June 2017    5,566.8 +171.7 +3.18% 10,640
May 2017     5,395.1 +5,394.0 +501768.81%

The last column is 'peak players'.

Yep, so after initial purchase at launch f13 can barely manage to retain 20% of its player base