Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deeify

Slasher Career Kickoff

22 posts in this topic

I think slasher movies should get the props they deserve for kicking off so many famous careers:

Kevin Bacon - Friday the 13th

Johnny Depp - Nightmare on Elm Street

Jaimie Lee Curtis - Halloween

Matthew McConaughey

Sigourney Weaver - Alien

Jennifer Anniston - Leprechaun

Jonathan Brandis - It

Charlize Theron - Children of the Corn

Leonardo DiCaprio - Critters

Paul Rudd - Halloween

Anyone think of any more?

On 7/17/2017 at 1:07 PM, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Billy  Zane - CRITTERS

Good one.

Brad Pitt- Cutting Class

Trivia: He was almost cast as the lead of Elm Street 2. ?

Wait, Charlize Theron was in Children of the Corn?

Guessing she was one of the kids in the village or something.

2 hours ago, shaderaygun said:

Wait, Charlize Theron was in Children of the Corn?

Guessing she was one of the kids in the village or something.

One of Eli's followers in Part 3.

Naomi Watts is in Part 4.

George Clooney- Return to Horror High (1987) Not a great sequel, but it was good for what it was at the time.

Tom Hanks- He Knows You're Alone (1980) This one was kind of a shocker to me. I've owned the movie for a while, but I just noticed that Tom was in it last week

Jim Carrey- Once Bitten (1985) Not nearly as "over the top" in this one as he was in his later films. But, this one did have a good horror/comedy vibe.

Jason Alexander-  The Burning (1981) Personally, I don't think he is a great actor. But, Seinfeld made him famous, and he was in a horror flick early in his career.

Patrick Dempsey-  The Stuff (1985) This guy kind of fell off the radar in the late 80s/early 90s. The Stuff was still an enjoyable movie.

Ted Danson- Creepshow (1982) It was an anthology film, but it did kind of launch his career.

1 person likes this

Who can forget People Magazine`s Sexiest Man Alive, George Clooney in Return to Horror High?

His appearance as the campus security guard is awesome as shit.

EDIT: Rexfellis, hahaha!  We must`ve been typing this at the same time!  Ridiculous!  Oh, and Alexander`s appearance in The Burning is a good one.  Great film.  Very underrated and mostly forgotten today.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Who can forget People Magazine`s Sexiest Man Alive, George Clooney in Return to Horror High?

His appearance as the campus security guard is awesome as shit.

EDIT: Rexfellis, hahaha!  We must`ve been typing this at the same time!  Ridiculous!  Oh, and Alexander`s appearance in The Burning is a good one.  Great film.  Very underrated and mostly forgotten today.

Hey bro. Great minds think alike!  ? I am not really a big fan of Jason Alexander, but he has earned his spot on this list. :)

1 minute ago, Rexfellis said:

Hey bro. Great minds think alike!  ? I am not really a big fan of Jason Alexander, but he has earned his spot on this list. :)

Same here.

Not a fan of Alexander at all, but was impressed he did The Burning.  I wonder how he feels about it today?

And yes, great minds do think alike!  :D

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Same here.

Not a fan of Alexander at all, but was impressed he did The Burning.  I wonder how he feels about it today?

And yes, great minds do think alike!  :D

I'm sure he is more worried about where he can get some soup in New York! haha

Check the quizzes I have linked here: 

Feel free to tell me that they suck, they are good, or they just need work. Cheers man!  ? 

17 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I'm sure he is more worried about where he can get some soup in New York! haha

Check the quizzes I have linked here: 

Feel free to tell me that they suck, they are good, or they just need work. Cheers man!  ? 

Thanks, mate!

I`m 13,000 miles away from home and looking for something good to do.

Gonna take them right now!  :)

5/10 on the first one.

7/10 on the second one.

6/10 on the third one.

As I said in a different post, the cops in Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 are the most REAL, relatable police officers in any horror film.  They act like actual human beings.  To me, it`s what seperates H4 and H5 from almost all other horror films.  I love both of these films just for how the police talk and act.

43 minutes ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Thanks, mate!

I`m 13,000 miles away from home and looking for something good to do.

Gonna take them right now!  :)

5/10 on the first one.

7/10 on the second one.

6/10 on the third one.

As I said in a different post, the cops in Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 are the most REAL, relatable police officers in any horror film.  They act like actual human beings.  To me, it`s what seperates H4 and H5 from almost all other horror films.  I love both of these films just for how the police talk and act.

Hey man, you did pretty well. I am a huge horror buff, so some of the questions may have been fairly difficult. The fact that you went in blind and did so well is impressive. The Halloween 4 cops were a pretty competent bunch. The Halloween 5 cops were a little too slapstick for me. But, you could relate to them as human beings. And, there is something to be said for that, especially in an 80s horror movie!! ??

On 7/17/2017 at 2:43 PM, Deeify said:

I think slasher movies should get the props they deserve for kicking off so many famous careers:

Kevin Bacon - Friday the 13th

Johnny Depp - Nightmare on Elm Street

Jaimie Lee Curtis - Halloween

Matthew McConaughey

Sigourney Weaver - Alien

Jennifer Anniston - Leprechaun

Jonathan Brandis - It

Charlize Theron - Children of the Corn

Leonardo DiCaprio - Critters

Paul Rudd - Halloween

Anyone think of any more?

Not to may say here, but Clueless came out a few months before Halloween so that may have helped elevate his career a bit more than Halloween 6. 

Do like the matt mc in TCM 4 though.

I was recently inspired to watch through the Friday the 13th movies again(not sure why, tee hee).  I always forget how many early stars are in those.

Crispen Glover - Part 4

Richard Lineback - Part 5

Tony Goldwyn - Part 6

Jason Ritter - Freddy vs Jason

On 7/18/2017 at 7:21 PM, Ban_All_Music said:

Brad Pitt- Cutting Class

Trivia: He was almost cast as the lead of Elm Street 2. ?

Good thing he didn't get that Elm Street 2 role!   

On 8/7/2017 at 11:37 AM, Andy said:

Good thing he didn't get that Elm Street 2 role!   

I forgot to mention that Pitt was also in a pretty good episode of Freddy's Nightmares.  Him and his girlfriend get stranded as their car breaks down on a deserted road right in front of a conspicuous phone box.  You can tell from that episode alone that Pitt had some acting chops.

15 hours ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

I forgot to mention that Pitt was also in a pretty good episode of Freddy's Nightmares.  Him and his girlfriend get stranded as their car breaks down on a deserted road right in front of a conspicuous phone box.  You can tell from that episode alone that Pitt had some acting chops.

I probably saw it and didn't even see his name in the credits.  Binged that show pretty quickly.  

Two more that I forgot to mention from The Burning (1981)

Holly Hunter- Academy Award Winning actress who's very first role was this flick. She went on to star in everything from The Piano to O Brother, Where Art Thou? to The Incredibles to Batman v. Superman!

Fisher Stevens- (The Flamingo Kid (1984), Short Circuit (1986), Super Mario Bros. (1993), Hackers (1995)) While he did co-win an Oscar for producing 2009's The Cove, he may not have always made the best choices. (Super Mario Bros!!!), but he has had a long, and pretty successful career.  And, the part of Woodstock in this slasher was his first film role.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:48 AM, Andy said:

I probably saw it and didn't even see his name in the credits.  Binged that show pretty quickly.  

Pitt was one of two main characters in that episode. It was one of the better ones of the memorable series, IMO.

The best were the two-part episodes where Freddy actually shows up and slaughters that family in their house and police detectives spend the two episodes in the house trying to piece together clues as to what happened. That was A-grade TV horror.

I don't know if I would include Jonathan Brandis in this list. Yeah he was famous but he really never got out of that child actor stage before his death. His most notable roles were SeaQuest and Sidekicks (and this one really only because it was a Chuck Norris movie).

I mean everyone else on the list made huge movies and movie/TV careers after their horror movies. I guess we will never know how well of a career he would have had.