Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iz2sick

Please do something about Jason Traps

26 posts in this topic

Well, it has happened. Almost every Jason now spams multiple traps at the phone and 4 seater. I'm pretty sick of seeing 3-4 traps at the fuse box. Step in one and you're doomed. Or spend time gathering pocket knives and waste 'em on the traps. Such a broken mechanic. Unrealistic too. 

To me, this is lame Jason play. I don't have a problem killing most of the counselors and I never put more than one trap in a spot at a time. 

While I wouldn't mind them increasing the radius for the trap placement, as in allowing Jason to not basically stack them on top of each other. I also think it's a needed mechanic. Nothing worse than starting a match laying down a single trap, rng occurs and a person finds the fuse, and a pocket knife, and before Jason even gets shift they've got the police called. Top that off with My dads a perk and Jason could be potentially be forced to try and kill everyone in only 5 minutes start time. And It really isn't his fault as he can't just camp the fuse box house the entire time. To make matters worse for Jason it's possible for the counselors to know exactly where the fuse box is when they spawn.

Now I can think of a few things to help with it. Create a specific item designed solely around disarming traps. You can even keep the pocket knives as an option to disarm them. But buff Jason's map awareness of the traps in response. Once a trap has been disarmed it should immediately be shown as gone from Jason's map. And too make it easier for Jason to see which trap went off.

Quinn FTW and DialM like this

The scenario of a counselor spawning at fuse house and finding fuse in the same house is pretty uncommon. And most counselors run away from a fuse house as soon as they realize it. I also always destroy the fuse cabin inside out until my teleport recharges which causes anyone hiding in there to run away.

And I'm not opposed to additional tools to disarm Jason traps. Just something needs to be done about it. And there definitely needs to be a radius limit between traps. Honestly, Jason is plenty strong. 3 stacked traps at the fuse box is so unneccessary. 

Quinn FTW likes this

There's only so many traps to go around - if somebody actually is using 3-4 traps at the phone, there's another objective that's being left relatively untrapped.  Hell, I've seen Jasons that save all of their traps, then once the cops are called, the end of the road where the cops are have a line of traps completely across it.  If a Jason puts all his eggs in one basket, it's going to burn him since it'll make one of the other objectives an easy fix - it all evens out. 

If I see an objective overtrapped, I'll either drop the car part off in plain view and hope somebody else has more pocket knives, or go after another objective and come back later when hopefully somebody else has either opened the traps or taken one for the team.

As long as there's not enough traps for Jason to spam every objective (and there isn't), I don't think it's a major problem. 

BloodyNights and A.J. Mason like this

As part 2 Jason, I never use more than 2 traps per objective.  I get it that it's annoying for counselors to deal with, but once the cops are called Jason only has so many options as the timer runs down.  

From a counselor's perspective, I have a perk that gives me 2 uses out of 1 health spray.  That along with a pocket knife is usually enough to avoid death by traps.  However once the traps are sprung, any good Jason that notices will be heading to you ASAP.  For a solo cat it becomes a serious problem, but if you're using teamwork (having a buddy nearby that distracts Jason) it's not impossible to get it done.  

When I play Jason it amazes me how many counselors will talk out loud into their mic about what they're doing, as if I can't hear them.  Defeats the whole purpose of creating a diversion when you say:  "Keep Jason busy while I install the fuse and call the po po."  Smh

On 7/16/2017 at 8:45 AM, iz2sick said:

The scenario of a counselor spawning at fuse house and finding fuse in the same house is pretty uncommon. And most counselors run away from a fuse house as soon as they realize it. I also always destroy the fuse cabin inside out until my teleport recharges which causes anyone hiding in there to run away.

And I'm not opposed to additional tools to disarm Jason traps. Just something needs to be done about it. And there definitely needs to be a radius limit between traps. Honestly, Jason is plenty strong. 3 stacked traps at the fuse box is so unneccessary. 

Lets say that about 3/10 games (in my own personal experience) where I spawn inside the house with the Phone box, or next to it, the fuse is either in the same cabin, or in the one right next to it, so it's far less uncommon than you might think.

There are tons of games where people spawn next to a house that has Gas, and the keys in the same cabin, and the battery two doors down, and can have the car fixed within 2 minutes. Call it RNG or luck, but it happens.

I personally only double trap the phone box when I play sackhead Jason, I think people that double tap with other Jasons, or triple+ tap are just overly cautious. Any other Jason, I just single trap, and then put one trap per strategic spot on the blue car, and kind of see how things play out from there.

If the fuse trap gets tripped, I port in and attempt a kill, and re-trap

Traps do not need changing at all, once again, the developers made this game for Jason to win most of the time, and counselors to have slim chances at escaping alone, and slightly better odds when working together. If the phone box is multi tapped, or in your case, as you say has 3-4 traps, that means any Jason that isn't sack head Jason only has 1 trap remaining, or none, and even sack head Jason only has 3 traps left, meaning you can de-trap the blue car with two pocket knives, fix the yellow car, or, especially in group play, have a quick fixer at the blue car, send in a sacrificial lamb to trip both traps, quickly install parts and spray the person who took the traps, and escape - Even a fight at the blue car at that stage if it's fixed and started can be difficult for Jason if you are 4+ people with pocket knives, crackers, bats, flare guns etc

It's not always this easy to do other objectives, but in 58 levels of play, I've probably seen less than 20 games where the phone box has more than 2 traps on it

There is a reason Jasons trap the phone. Because with a counselor perk, getting the police here in 3 minutes... mixed with couselors that know exactly how to dodge jasons shift, when to sprint, when to jump through windows over and over, OR if they work together with weapons, you're looking at a Jason player who's in a lot of trouble and will need time to kill them.

That phone doesn't work right and is unrealistic. In part 6 when the cops arrived did Jason care? No. He murdered every last police officer and just continued hunting for Tommy afterwards. 

The phone is cheap. Thats why we, including myself plant 4-5 traps around it. Because I dont want to hear that radio static after 30 seconds of leaving it, only to see that icon after 3 minutes and over 50 % of the team escaping. 

What makes matters worse is when you play a Jason who can't even run either, making you more dependent on shift. 

Overall. The trapping is cheap and annoying, but what is Jason supposed to do otherwise when the cops can arrive so quickly.

Up the police deadline to 8 minutes and remove the perk and I'll personally take my traps to the cars instead. 

Hal Bailman likes this

When I play as Jason, I usually play as Part 2 for the extra traps. I only place 1 trap at the fuse box at the start of the round, and usually one at the gas and battery for the 4 seater, and 1 trap at the 2 seater or boat, if the boat is close to shore and not at the end of a dock. That leaves me with 3 traps left to use to replace traps that have been sprung or for trapping people playing ring-around-the-rosie,

I had a round just last night where I was playing as Jason and Tommy was running around the 2 seater trying to evade me. I placed a trap on one side and started chasing him again and sure enough he ran right into my trap. Good times. ;)

I don't find this to be a big issue. Only one trap can be places directly in front of the phone fuse while others can only surround it. As soon as I find an aid spray, I will set off the trap. Also, more traps on phone fuse mean less at 4 seater, 2 seater and boat. 

Someone suggested this way before, but I think it is a great idea: have the branch weapon be used as a trigger for some traps, similar to the way a pocket knife is used. It gives the branch some use/value, and forces you to look for them. It also puts you at some disadvantage because you may not have anything to protect yourself with.

Just a suggestion I liked from someone else a while back though.

SDA likes this

I prefer to triple trap the phone and nothing else. Too many times, a single trap was disabled and the cops called. Too many objectives trapped can be confusing to figure out which location to morph to after one is tripped.

Cars have audio cues and 3 parts, much easier to manage. Boats are the easiest to miss, but only 2 people can escape. I just try and watch the map. Both can also be stopped after fixed.

Seems like a lot more people are getting better at using the counselors to there advantage.

Just my preference, but so far it is working for me. Funny thing is, last night I killed a counselor with the 3rd trap that he never noticed.

Hal Bailman and handzen like this

On 7/15/2017 at 10:54 PM, iz2sick said:

Well, it has happened. Almost every Jason now spams multiple traps at the phone and 4 seater. I'm pretty sick of seeing 3-4 traps at the fuse box. Step in one and you're doomed. Or spend time gathering pocket knives and waste 'em on the traps. Such a broken mechanic. Unrealistic too. 

To me, this is lame Jason play. I don't have a problem killing most of the counselors and I never put more than one trap in a spot at a time. 

stop crying for gods sake! its  a mechanic deal with it!

9 hours ago, Grape said:

I prefer to triple trap the phone and nothing else. Too many times, a single trap was disabled and the cops called. Too many objectives trapped can be confusing to figure out which location to morph to after one is tripped.

Cars have audio cues and 3 parts, much easier to manage. Boats are the easiest to miss, but only 2 people can escape. I just try and watch the map. Both can also be stopped after fixed.

Seems like a lot more people are getting better at using the counselors to there advantage.

Just my preference, but so far it is working for me. Funny thing is, last night I killed a counselor with the 3rd trap that he never noticed.

Because it seems that you're not aware, the traps that you set show up on your map as red diamonds. When a trap is triggered/disarmed, the icon changes (though I can't really describe it from memory).

5 hours ago, DialM said:

Because it seems that you're not aware, the traps that you set show up on your map as red diamonds. When a trap is triggered/disarmed, the icon changes (though I can't really describe it from memory).

I am aware of that discussion, but I have yet to see the difference. If it was a glitch that was fixed, I would be glad to hear the Devs explain it.

Until I can see a clear difference, that fuse is getting 3 traps. Lol

On 7/16/2017 at 5:54 AM, iz2sick said:

I started to plant all my traps exclusively on the phonebox because people started to use a certain glitch/exploit that allows them to avoid them triggering. So, just a natural reaction to the giant amounts of bullfuckery with many people in this game...

21 hours ago, handzen said:

stop crying for gods sake! its  a mechanic deal with it!

Yea well, running around the car and furniture is also a mechanic. Doesn't change the fact that it's silly. And I'm not whining. I just think it needs adjusting. 

Say, what if instead of having Jason be the one to place traps at the phone and cars, instead there is some kind of obstacle in the way of those repair spots? I'm not sure what it would be, maybe some junk like boxes or crates  logs or something. Players would need to move those things out of the way before repairing the thing. Just thinking that if there was something else between the player and the repair spot, then Jason wouldn't feel quite as much pressure to put traps in that area and would be more free to use them elsewhere in the map to catch unsuspecting people. Traps current function is an alarm system with teeth essentially, if there was something already built into the map that could function in a similar manner, then players might not get so salty about the traps.

So let's say a log or board has been jammed against the phone fuse box, as if prior to the opening Jason broke the fuse box and stuck a big board against it so it couldn't be opened. The spot directly in front of the fuse box would be blocked, so at the start of the match Jason could not trap that exact spot but he'd have security knowing that the phone could not be fixed immediately. You could use an axe or machete to chop it down loudly and notify Jason or a 2x4, pipe, or tree branch to pry it off quietly without notification. The strength stat would determine how fast either of these could be done. Something else similar could be done with the car, maybe randomize one repair spot be blocked by something that needs removing with a weapon. Just throwing out some ideas. Maybe that would make for less traps at objectives and more out in the world in sneaky places.

I most certainly put three traps at the fuse box.  I play with Part 7 Jason and he only has three.  (I think it's patched now) but once upon a time, you could activate the mini game at an angle for a repair and it would ignore the trap.  As a result I put one on both sides of the box and in the middle.  Also, instead of using traps in different places and having to guess which one to morph to, I just use them all in the same place.  It's a pretty decent strategy as players don't usually realize there is more than one trap there and die or get seriously injured.  Again, it's only three.  Everyone has their specific strategy and that's mine.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:54 PM, iz2sick said:

I'm pretty sick of seeing 3-4 traps at the fuse box.

Thres traps I can understand, but four? No. That's nuts, unless it's a leftover trap. Quad trapping anything leaves you with only ONE trap. Most Jasons have five traps. Part 7 and 9 have -Traps, so they have only three traps. They'd be using all of their traps on one objective! Part 2 has +Traps, so he has seven traps. Unless you are Part 2 Jason, you will have 0-1 traps left for other objectives, depending on your Jason. What I do with Jasons that have five traps is place one trap at my shack's entrance, two at the four seater, and two at the phone box. You'll have to keep an eye on the two seater or boat since they aren't trapped. With ones that have three traps, I place one at the shack, one at the phone, and one at the four seater. With Part 2, I'll place one at the shack, two at the phone, two at the four seater, and then two at the two seater. If the boat spawns then I'll probably double trap my shack. I've heard on Crystal Lake, one of the boat spawns can be trapped, so if the boat spawns there I'll trap that at least once. IDK if I'll use my last trap on the boat, the shack, or just save it for later. This way you have at least three objectives trapped. 

On 7/17/2017 at 3:02 AM, Culp said:

I hope traps are left alone. As it is you can disable them all if you work as a team. Escape should be a challenge.

I agree with you on that.

On 7/17/2017 at 2:49 PM, AdrianBlackbear said:

Someone suggested this way before, but I think it is a great idea: have the branch weapon be used as a trigger for some traps, similar to the way a pocket knife is used. It gives the branch some use/value, and forces you to look for them. It also puts you at some disadvantage because you may not have anything to protect yourself with.

Just a suggestion I liked from someone else a while back though.

This sounds like a pretty decent idea.

On 7/17/2017 at 2:27 PM, SDA said:

I've also taken to trapping my shack before I morph out, worthwhile.

I've seen a lot of people doing this lately. Nice strategy.