agnes

Driving in reverse to escape

76 posts in this topic

Something should be done about this. Tons of games I've played in the last week have the driver driving the car in reverse out of the map, making it basically impossible for Jason to stop the car once it is moving.

If you get behind a car going in reverse, it stops the car just the same as going in front. I just got out of a game this morning that had this yo-yo effect going on no less than 6 times. Forward a bit, I stopped them. Some messing around. Stunning. Started. Backed up. Morph. Stop them. Rinse and repeat.

It's not impossible to stop, more of a challenge, yes, but not impossible. I'll admit I've only had the car started twice on me in the 60+ matches I've played as Jason so my experience in those situations is limited but in both of those times I've stopped the car multiple times within those rounds while it was going in reverse. A well timed shift/stalk combination to get you around works wonders...shift/stalk literally is your best bet to stop the car in those situations, you just need to learn how to use it properly and not panic.

The Preppy Guy likes this

I managed to get in a car that flipped over on a hillside,  hillarious, if you morph behind the car you should be able to get it in time

I too find this to be an annoyance.

Really only a couple things you can do to effect this outcome.

1. Be pro at morph, even if its never 100 percent accurate

2. Give them the illusion of escape, allow them to stop the car to get others if they choose to do so. Give them the illusion that your morph is in cooldown or your going after someone else.

Shift is actually pretty bad for cars I find. Since you stop moving while the car is still moving coming out of shift.

If they really wanted to make it more difficult. They could simply remove rear view from counselors. This would allow them to reverse, but it would extremely risky. As it is, im no pro driver myself and reverse is even harder.

The other option might be too powerful in the other direction. My other idea is allowing Jason to use his throwing knives to kill the driver through the window, thus causing the car to crash. The remaining counselors would have to get out, one of them remove the body similar to Grand Theft Auto and then try again.

Reverse is already much slower speed than forward, which is quite enough balancing.

No rear view? Yeah, let's fix something that's not broken by implementing a mechanic that assumes your character can't turn his/her :censored:ing head.

/sarcasm

John Wick, havek and AldermachXI like this

I saw people do this last night, the whole group was micless (Besides me and this kid) they seemed to all be able to figure out where everything was and had that car ready in a flash then tried backing out and everyone, I mean everyone died.... I was soon the last one left and kept Jason at bay pissing him off till he finally got me. 

4 hours ago, agnes said:

Something should be done about this. Tons of games I've played in the last week have the driver driving the car in reverse out of the map, making it basically impossible for Jason to stop the car once it is moving.

It is just as easy to stop a car going in reverse as it is stopping one going forward. It is more difficult to drive the car in reverse (as it should be), but the act of stopping the car is basically the same.  If anything, I wonder how Jason can make the engine die by hitting the rear of the car? Maybe stop it, but kill the engine? It makes no sense.

If you are having trouble catching a car, killing counselors, figuring out where and when to place your traps, etc... all I can tell you is, practice. As different strats develop for counselors, it is Jason's job to figure out how to counter it. There are plenty of broken things in the game. There is nothing wrong with the counselors being able to drive in reverse.

5 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

how can Jason make the engine die by hitting the rear of the car? Maybe stop it, but kill the engine? It makes no sense.

In the movie tremors the truck backed up into the cliff and stalled out. It took them a moment to get it back up and running but the grabroid held onto the wheel causing it to stall out. But yeah it doesn't make sense how just giving it a love tab from the back makes sense. I wish traps effected the cars tires. Pop them and make them have a hard time driving 

17 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

If anything, how can Jason make the engine die by hitting the rear of the car? Maybe stop it, but kill the engine? It makes no sense.

10 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

In the movie tremors the truck backed up into the cliff and stalled out. It took them a moment to get it back up and running but the grabroid held onto the wheel causing it to stall out. But yeah it doesn't make sense how just giving it a love tab from the back makes sense. I wish traps effected the cars tires. Pop them and make them have a hard time driving 

If these cars are manuals this makes perfect sense. If they dropped the clutch or didn't have the clutch depressed when the car was stopped it would stall the car. And since the are is in motion their foot would most likely not be on the clutch when they crashed. Since the wheels are stopped and the clutch is dropped the engine stalls. 

weirdkid5 and B0bZomb1e like this

3 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

If these cars are manuals this makes perfect sense. If they dropped the clutch or didn't have the clutch depressed when the car was stopped it would stall the car. And since the are is in motion their foot would most likely not be on the clutch when they crashed. Since the wheels are stopped and the clutch is dropped the engine stalls. 

Someone understands how cars work ;)

4 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I was actually going to make that comment about Tremors. The truck, if I remember correctly, was a "three on the tree" standard (it's been a while since I've seen it), so it makes perfect sense. But, I have seen nothing in the game that would indicate that either of the cars are standards. You know, a grinding of the gears sound when you switch from forward to reverse quickly (or vice versa). Of course, that sound might have just been overlooked or deemed not important.

It still make sense. I think if it's an automatic I believe it can still be stalled if you mess with the wheels. Again I could be wrong lol I'm not a car expert. So either that's the issue or Jason has magic powers on cars if they drive backwards. 

1 minute ago, Rexfellis said:

I was actually going to make that comment about Tremors. The truck, if I remember correctly, was a "three on the tree" standard (it's been a while since I've seen it), so it makes perfect sense. But, I have seen nothing in the game that would indicate that either of the cars are standards. You know a grinding of the gears sound when you switch from forward to reverse quickly (or vice versa). 

Well it's not supposed to make that sound if you shift right. But we could ask them to add it for continuity. 

Well it's not supposed to make that sound if you shift right. But we could ask them to add it for continuity. 

I was actually thinking about how quickly the car switched from one direction to the other. If you are still slightly moving forward in a standard and try to put the stick in reverse, it will grind. At least in every standard that I have driven. 

9 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I was actually thinking about how quickly the car switched from one direction to the other. If you are still slightly moving forward in a standard and try to put the stick in reverse, it will grind. At least in every standard that I have driven. 

The car does actually slow and stop before it goes backwards. It's not an instant change in direction. I've crashed into Jason before because I couldn't stop fast enough. He shifted into the road but it was a ways up and I hit reverse but I continued on forward and didn't have enough room to  switch directions.

I'll take a peek inside car next time I play and see if I can tell if its automatic or manual.. 

Frankly, I hate Jason shifting in front of the car as it is. I think the car should project a cone in front of it that Jason can't shift into. I don't recall him just appearing in front of a car in the movies. (I could be wrong, but my current re-watch is only up to part 4 at the moment.) Heck, he dove out of the way of the van in part 3. Sure, he stepped into the road in front of the car in part 6, but then he attacked the car with his spear. I'd like it more if Jason could attack the car if he was near it and damage a wheel making it even harder to drive AND/OR yank someone from the car as they drove by if he was close enough. Of course, I'd love it if crashes and the throwing knives could break the car windshield and if you hit the driver with a throwing knife, they'd temporarily lose control.

I think the speed should be lowered on reverse (slow enough that a part 2 Jason can keep up with it in shift, which is currently not the case) and you shouldn't actually be able to escape in reverse.  Yes you can stop the car in reverse technically but that requires them to actually hit you, vs the front of the car you can hit E to slam it and stop it even if it's not moving or even if it's going to try moving backwards (though that's hard because when you reach and hit E it'll already be out of range again).  Reverse should be for repositioning, not long distance driving/escaping.

agnes and tyrant666 like this

3 hours ago, ikarikh said:

You can easily morph then shift behind a reversing car to make it crash.

There is nothing impossible or unfair about it.

It's already REALLY easy for a good Jason to stop the car. You don't need it easier.

if you morph behind the car as a part 7 or part 2.  They will simply go into forward and you won't be able to catch the car with your shift.  That car is now gone.

The key to stopping the car is effective use of stalk. Using stalk will stop the VHS effect when you morph or shift, so let them reverse out of sight then use stalk, morph behind them and then shift right behind it. Same thing works for a car that's driving forward; you just use stalk, wait a bit further down the road, then shift front of it when they're coming and let them crash into you.  I've found you don't have to shift right into the car's front when it's driving at you, just shift close enough that they don't have time to change their course.

bobmussini likes this

4 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

The key to stopping the car is effective use of stalk. Using stalk will stop the VHS effect when you morph or shift, so let them reverse out of sight then use stalk, morph behind them and then shift right behind it. Same thing works for a car that's driving forward; you just use stalk, wait a bit further down the road, then shift front of it when they're coming and let them crash into you.  I've found you don't have to shift right into the car's front when it's driving at you, just shift close enough that they don't have time to change their course.

Must be a latency thing for me then because If I'm not dead center it pushes me to the side of the car which wastes the shift.

12 minutes ago, I Hate Spectate said:

Must be a latency thing for me then because If I'm not dead center it pushes me to the side of the car which wastes the shift.

If you get in front of the car - say about 5-10 metres from it - and toggled shift off, they'll crash right into you most of the time. It works surprisingly well as they're usually going full speed in an attempt to escape.